Author Topic: rule changes discussion--age of consent + religious figures  (Read 3751 times)

Offline gregory

• [ JULY 22 / DEC 12 ]
  • [ previously salem ]
  • A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' first year! Art by Hootowls.
    • View Profile
Re: rule changes discussion--age of consent + religious figures
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2017, 05:30:50 PM »
on the religion thing, i think that you shouldn't be able to play characters based on gods from MAJOR, still heavily practiced religions. things like greek and roman mythology aren't heavily practiced in today's society. things such as christianity, judaism, hinduism, etc are. i can see how the major religions could be offensive, but not mythology and such, as it's simply just a popular writing subject in this era.
★ ──────────── {⋅. .⋅} ──────────── ★
( left the site, contact me on discord )

Offline Alpha Kratt™

• holy wow
  • Odd Squad Queen
    • She/Her
  • A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' first year! Art by Hootowls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2017, 07:11:57 PM »
*SCREAMS*
DAMMIT I'M LATE AGAIN

ugh

Again, I can't say anything on religion without making myself seem uneducated, however I will say that characters with Greek names SHOULD be allowed, just not as gods themselves with that name. Like a feline named Zeus, but whom isn't actually Zeus.

As for the age of consent, I'm perfectly fine with it and see no qualms with it!

May add more opinions later as I'm at Staples RN and on mobile!
we're lost in a dream now
alpha kratt odd squad connoisseur dump wattpad current sparta base staff love

I'm a rule breaker - Pyre

Offline joy.ful

• slytherin
  • discord: aj#3102
    • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2017, 01:50:25 AM »
just going to track this rn.
aj - 20 - advanced
just another manic monday, i wish it was sunday...
that's my fun day.

Online Bryne

• 「 formerly known as pyre 」
  • Senior Moderator
    • She/Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2017, 05:37:23 PM »
i think dem is trying to separate mythology and religion, not say that religion is false; i think, at least but i'm absolute shit at interpretation. mythology is essentially the study of myth, of what we consider myth is folklore and unrealistic stories like saying there was once a guy who lifted seven trucks over his head, it's a story exaggerated to make a point. myth and religion are different, polytheism is greco-roman / and various other pagan religions that have not been proven false but have died over the years because of the evolution of human beliefs, practices, and cultural customs. if we're going to be talking about proving a religion wrong that's not possible, there's too much evidence for or against it at the moment and even if you do believe it or if you don't you have nothing but your facts and your belief to prove it; mythology is things that are humanly impossible and have been prove false through studies of either area, ancient weather patterns or simple human anatomy. this probably makes no gosh-darn sense but i think i explained it how i wanted to? not really, it's likely a mess lmao.

FUCK I GOT NINJAED

I wouldn't mind allowing chars based off of the mythology so long as the actual deities aren't allowed
in city, i feel my spirit is contained, like neon inside the glass, they form my brain, but i recently discovered it's a heatless fire, like nicknames they give themselves to uninspire, begin with bullet, now add fire to the proof, but i'm still not sure if fear's a rival or close relative to truth, either way it helps to hear these words bounce off of you, the softest echo could be enough for me to make it through, folina, sahlo folina, sahlo folina, sahlo folina, i created this world, to feel some control, destroy it if i want, so i sing someone, folina, sahlo folina, sahlo ——— ——————————————
INFO & STAFF LOVE & CHARACTERS & LINK HUB

Offline Una.

• Non-binary
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2017, 09:44:37 PM »
Quiet track.
Spoiler: Staff Vandalism • show

fi is my sword spouse and so are you - crows
i'm legally adopting max k bye - pyre

Offline Pizui

• 死的心脏 | GEN Z WEEB
  • @tw1nkb0yz - he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2017, 10:00:03 PM »
Sorry if we already left the aoc topic but to me, as a 15 y/o, it seems pretty fair for the AOC to be 17. However, past experiences of sex are okay, with me, atleast. Ive known people IRL who casually have sex, constantly, even though theyre younger than I am. This is our world and if we want The New World to reflect a bit of reality, there shouldnt be a restriction on histories. However, however, however, for the protection of uncomfortable & traumatized members, any mention of underage sex (not like ,, present-day smut, that shouldnt be allowed for under 17, but like non-graphic flashback) should have a trigger warning.
Does that make sense? So like, people have their creative freedom but theres a limit. Keep it in the past, if you can, kind of a thing. If it inflicts the character during the present, keep it PG13 with the flashbacks/memories and use a trigger warning.
Also, I didnt bother to read everyone's opinions about this; Ive only read the first page, so if Im repeating one or the final decision: my bad.

For the religious topic, I feel Pyre's words describe my opinion:
I wouldn't mind allowing chars based off of the mythology so long as the actual deities aren't allowed
Same with religious deities, for me. Ex) angels and demons are fine but Christianity's God isnt.
Made-up deities are A-okay with me, too. I can def agree with that.
- Also, question: would I be able to rp the Flying Spaghetti Monster of the Pastafarianism religion? Some people consider it a religion, some dont. The same question goes with any other religions like that.

Offline firebird

• felix.
    • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2018, 10:41:27 PM »
okay so overall--the AOC discussion is mostly closed, though thank you to everyone who put your opinions in! one final reminder that this rule change will NOT allow smut of ANY kind between ANY ages, still--this is simply about MENTIONS and things like fade-in/out, what already WAS allowed in terms of sex on the site--ergo the rules are getting stricter, not looser, for anyone still confused.

And just as a note, the topic of allowing smut is NOT up for discussion nor will it ever be. Not only does our current hosting provider prohibit it, SMF frowns on it, AND this site will never be 18+, which it would have to be to allow smut. Keep that in mind, please, because for us to allow smut, we'd have to make this site 18+. Which I'm fairly certain the majority of the site doesn't want--considering the majority of our memberbase's age.

Now on terms of religion--it looks like the most argued positions here are the following:

Not allowing any of it, which is the original rule proposal.

Allowing only entities from pagan religions and religions now largely classified as myth instead of religion.

Allowing only creatures and lesser beings from all religions/myth, but no actual deities.

Allowing all of them.

Now--it's most likely the top three that will end up the final rule, and considering what looks like current majority, it's most likely to be a compromise, IE the second or third argument. The main thing for us right now as staff is to think about the line between respecting religions and allowing for creative freedom, and that includes deciding whether we want to allow ourselves to pick and choose based on which religions currently dominate our society.

I made Alexander paint you a mural I hope you like it - Pyre

Offline Sorrelwind.

• im fucking hilarious
  • an affectionate asshole (tm)
    • feminine pronouns
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2018, 04:09:06 PM »
im just sliding in,

for the religion debate, my personal stance is that gods should not be allowed. i don't see why demons or angels and stuff of their likeness should be forbidden though. gods and goddesses as well as any deities that are explicitly named and portrayed. whether or not they are currently being practiced seems to be irrelevant in my opinion. as the original statement/update/thing said, it feels as if you are just saying one religion is off limits, but you can just screw around with other ones. whether or not the religion is currently being practiced, at one point there were people who worshipped that particular deity. this feels a bit like rambling, but i'm not sure how to get my point across otherwise. jesus should not be held in higher regard than say... odis or something of the like. no one religion is superior to the others and we should not treat it as such. angels and demons are at this point just creatures that aren't even always associated with a religion and are just mythical creatures so that would be okay in my opinion. but allowing someone to play zeus(for example) and not allowing another rp'er to play jesus is just bs.

(trans: no explicitly named deities or creatures from any religion regardless of the time period + angels, demons, sprites, ghosts, spirits and other creature-types that aren't named characters should be fine. making up a god should be fine as well.)

edit: i can still post this right?? 0.o im late as hell.
Spoiler: notice me, staff friends >.< (if you love me...) • show

let me gooooooo - crows
hoot feels the breeze
eskie has broken her nail while typing this so be grateful pls
as part of bearbones, you have been vored
pyre poked this signature and nodded

Offline firebird

• felix.
    • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2018, 11:27:49 AM »
yeah you're good! Overall I think right now what it comes down to is finding if people overall are okay with that--it seems like the best compromise and most respectful one to me, where any religion/set of myth is on the table, but no specific deities are allowed.

I made Alexander paint you a mural I hope you like it - Pyre