Author Topic: LOSING TO YOU - open, infection  (Read 400 times)

Offline Corban

• played by: darky
    • View Profile
LOSING TO YOU - open, infection
« on: December 30, 2017, 06:32:03 PM »
Corban wasn't a healer, he wasn't even a clanner. He was a predator, a loner, a beast that stalked the woods and mountains. And he'd been hurting ever since he'd been forced to gnaw off his leg in an act of desperation.

The wound leftover from that had been fine so far; it hurt, it bled, but that was normal. It'd scar over and he'd find a way to cope. But now it smelled funny and he felt really sluggish and it just.. Hurt, really badly.

He blinked as he gazed at the midday sky. He hadn't moved from his shaded crevice since last night, and though his stomach was growling and his mouth was dry he wasn't sure he'd be able to stand. He licked his lips and tried to stand up for a few moments before collapsing back into a pile on the ground.

He lashed his tail angrily and narrowed his eyes. He was in a sorry state, but he was still an adult and he could take care of himself; he wasn't going to ask for help. Asking for help is what cubs did, and he wasn't a cub.

But... Was his pride really worth the suffering?

"Healer." The cougar called out, his voice cracking in desperation. The people around here had tried to offer help to anything that moved, so surely it wouldn't take much time for someone to notice him.
HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN? — TAGS
all they care about is flashing lights
ref -medium-hard difficulty - he/him - missing left hind leg
text

Offline bubblepup

• ✦⋆ / save us, what we are
  • ✦⋆ / @rascalic / wnr
    • View Profile
Re: LOSING TO YOU - open, infection
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »
bub hadn’t been a clanner nor a loner. he had been born into a town they called a kingdom. a town where the radiation had killed, and currently, only the ghosts and the dying lived there. he had been a prince, but had ran in the streets with the poor, past brightly-colored fabrics for sale and street dancers. he hadn’t been so desperate for freedom that he would rid himself of a limb, he was innocent in that way.

his eyes had been the first sense to detect corban. after seeing him lay in the shade for so long, when he had begun to play with rocks, he would keep on casting wary glances at the cougar, concerned. then, witnessing his attempt to rise and the unceremonious sign that he could not stand, he had noticed the wound. ears reacting quickly to the call, he stumbled over, looking down at the infection. how had the stranger managed to stay quiet for so long? ”you’re not okay,” he whispered, as if to affirm the fact. steadying himself, he continued, ”i’m not a healer, but i know a common herb to help with infection.” cherries, wasn’t it? shaking his head, he corrected the thought. chervil. that was one of the few herbs he remembered. ”i’ll go get some, and if i can find a medic, i’ll bring them too.” he would’ve attempted to be more cheery, but this wasn’t just a scratch, it was something permanent and life-changing. there was no time to add a skip in his step or to be loud, because he was shaking at the sight of the injury and terrified.
  just a young gun with a quick fuse

Offline licorice

• ✦ — cynical medic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 09:11:06 PM »
[tags] ✦ Licoricetwist come quickly, basket in his jaws when Bubblepup fetched him. Something was wrong, very wrong, for the bubbly (hehe) pup to be so concerned. He could smell and see it in the way Corban moved before he even examined him. A cold, hard case of why others needed to be willing to help before something bad happened. "Bubblepup, can you get me some water? There's moss in this basket, come here," He vaguely pointed to it while he searched through his basket for everything he needed. They were low on some things. He grabbed everything that could help with infection, everything that could help with fever, and everything that could prevent pain and started shredding the leaves.

"Hey, it's Corban, yeah? I need you to nod for yes or no questions, and answer me if you can, okay? If you can't answer, you don't have to say anything. Have you been vomiting? I need to know if I can give you a painkiller. How long has it been that you've been feeling badly and it's been smelling and leaking stuff other than blood? When was the last time you ate and kept it down?" Despite the questions, he was still speaking rather slowly and clearly with a calming voice over it all. That was one time that people could see Cori for who he truly was, someone who was soft and gentle to his patients.

Once Bubblepup returned, if he went, Cori said a quick thank you. He touched his nose to the moss, and in an instant, the water was extracted from it. It started floating in a bubble of water slightly smaller than his head. "I'm going to clean it, okay? This will hurt a little bit, it'll be a little cold. I need you to focus on something, stay still and tell me if the pain is too much to handle." The healer then, with eyes glowing a bluer hue, swished the water across Corban's leg. It gathered a brown-red tone after a few moments. Cori eventually moved his paw up to carefully free matted blood from fur, trying to get as close to the wound as possible without actually touching the injury. "Bubblepup, I ave piles of herbs there. There's chervil and horsetail and burdock root. I don't have enough chervil, so all of those need to be blended together. Will you chew them up for me? The raspberry leaves would be nice too, they're next to the lavender in the other pile. They're small, rounder and shorter than the dandelion leaves. You can tell them apart from the thyme because they have jagged and they aren't on a stem."

The first three herbs were all in a pile, it would be easy. The raspberry leaves were just beside the other two ingest-able herbs, lavender and feverfew and thyme. "If you can't do it, that's okay, I can get it."

Offline Corban

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 04:47:33 PM »
The first one to approach was a tiny little thing, clearly a juvenile. Corban lashed his tail and nodded slightly to confirm that he heard and understood the pup. The way they shook in fear at seeing such a wound wasn't too strange; they were a child, after all.

The urge to snap at the two as they returned was strong. His stomach was growling angrily and he felt spacey and weird. He snapped his jaws at a bit of floating pollen as he fought the urge to crawl away. He'd asked for this, he wasn't going to chicken out or get violent.

"Bile, sometimes, no food ever comes up though." Corban answered, his voice low and rough. He blinked at the dog, only half understanding what they were saying. "Its been smelling bad for a few days perhaps? And I last ate three days ago." Corban spoke, feeling slightly overwhelmed at the questions. He lashed his tail in confusion and anxiousness, feeling awkward at how fragile they were treating him.

He blinked in surprise as the water from the moss just.. Sprung out and hovered in the air. The cougar let out a hiss and scrambled backwards, teeth bared and hackles raised. Water wasn't supposed to just- Water didn't fly.

He dug his claws into the dusty stone ground as the water hovered to the stump of his leg and caught the blood and dirt. He hissed again, quieter this time. He tried to keep calm, tried to focus on the fact that the clanners they- Stuff just happened around them. Water flying? No problemo.

"Don't- Just give me a warning next time." Corban growled out shakily. He didn't want them to think he didn't appreciate the help, but it was also scary and new to the loner.
text

Offline QUIETUS

• the solis imperium
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 11:11:39 AM »
Quietus understood how odd it was to go from being a loner to someone completely the opposite - someone who did travel and live in large groups, and hunt for others instead of hunting for yourself. And if you were anything like Qu, he grew to become accustomed to this. It was in his blood to protect others, whether it be a flock of sheep or those of his own flesh. It mattered naught. Not to mention the feeling of helping others did tend to be exceedingly satisfying the more you did it. Thank yous had seemed so formal and needless before, but now every one of them just pushed him forward and made him want to go out and catch something bigger for the kids that pranced around his paws happily, no longer reduced to fighting for a scrap of skin. Food was hard to find, but up here, the mountains came alive with a certain kind of energy - it was like he could feel the life that thrummed within it, and it called out to him, and he replied in kind. It was good. This was good. After, when everything was more stable, maybe they'd split off, too; thinking so far ahead was unbecoming of him, truth be told, but it was a bittersweet possibility. Smaller groups meant more stability. And now that he had a taste of it, he wouldn't mind the whole thing. Perhaps he could even have a mate and pups of his own one day, if the gods were good.

"Is there anything I can do?" he wanted to do something. He was always wanting to do something, and seeing the way that the cougar was right now, any way he could be of help would be welcome, as he did not like to see others in pain unless it was the just kind of pain that only the worst of people ought to suffer from. Nobody deserved a rotting wound. The smell and sight was revolting and made his blood curdle, but the appearance of Bubblepup and Licorice calmed that. If anyone could help this guy, it was them. Padding forward, the canine would stay a respectable distance away so he could run at a moments notice and to give them space to do their jobs.
let me crawl inside your veins; I'll build a wall, give
YOU A BALL AND CHAIN
It's not like me to be so mean you're all I wanted
just let me hold you like a hostage ❞

Offline bubblepup

• ✦⋆ / save us, what we are
  • ✦⋆ / @rascalic / wnr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 06:24:18 AM »
the dwarf’s eyed wandered down to the moss as licoricetwist spoke, and upon the mention of getting water he took up the moss and nodded, his expression concerned, afraid for a strange he met mere moments ago. somehow the radiation had not only destroyed the entire human race, the “predators”, the ones dangling the food chain and laughing and taunting those below them, but had brought the beasts together. as he ran along the mountain, looking for the stream, his thoughts drifting. the town he was born in, the group of creatures seeking refuge, the vision of pained and weak animals who couldn’t survive on their own. only the splash of cold water woke him from contemplation to remember the present, and soon again, he was moving.

upon his arrival, he skidded to a halt, passing over the soaked moss. stepping to the side so that corban wouldn’t feel too crowded, he observed the supernatural seperation of the moss and the water. bub had known that many had powers, some with reasons and others not, but had never really witnessed such a major use of it. the sound of the water swishing over the wound soon faintly played in his ears, and he wanted to be calmer in that moment, but instead flinched at the cougar’s reaction to the strange ability. when he was instructed on the herbs, with another nod he turned to go over to them. chervil, burdock root, horsetail, and raspberry leaves, those were the herbs he mixed and blended, soon one whole poultice. through a mouthful of herbs, he began to speak as the situation was controlled, ”i can go get food? the herbs might be more effective with nutrients.”
  just a young gun with a quick fuse

Offline licorice

• ✦ — cynical medic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 10:10:50 AM »
[tags] ✦ Licoricetwist gently flinched away from the gnashing jaws, turning his body so he was out of his path. The wound, it was so jagged, he almost wanted to ask how it happened. That didn't seem to be the best option, knowing wouldn't change his ability to heal, and he figured it was sore on his mind. Corban would have come sooner if he wasn't scared. No matter how big an ego, fear was usually the driving force.

"Three days?" Licoricetwist blinked, surprise shining in his eyes. Of course this infection was bad. His body didn't have enough energy to fight it off. Once Bubblepup piped up, and then Quietus, he looked over to the eldest. "No, you're doing good, Bub. I need you here. Yeah, Quietus, can you get something to eat? Rabbit, mouse, something easy on the stomach and easy to chew and we won't be wasting if he doesn't finish it." Fish would come in later, if he could keep it down.

He carefully turned his attention to cleaning the wound, gentle circle motions working the wound. As Corban started to scramble away, he jumped, ready to say sorry for hurting him. But... He was just scared. "Oh, I'm sorry. I have water powers. They won't hurt you. I can move it around and heat it up a little. I can manipulate blood, very slightly, but I'm not good at it. Anything with lots of water in it." Licoricetwist gave him a brief run-down of his powers. "I won't use it on your blood though, just to clean," he quickly added. That blood mention might have been a bit much. He gently dropped the water back down into the moss, letting it soak red and brown into the ground. With a swift movement, Cori had a piece of fabric in his mouth. After he spoke, he was carefully using his paw to tie a thick knot."I'm going to use this fabric to tie it up, so it won't bleed as much. It's going to hurt. It needs to be really tight. When we get you in a nest we'll take it off. If it's on too long, it can make it worse."

Licorice glanced over to Bubblepup to see how he was doing. Surprisingly well, really, using his front teeth to avoid swallowing the mixture, as far as he could tell. He made a mental note to ask the child later where he learned about herbalism. He was much too young to have a mentor, at least, too young to have had one, learned anything, and arrived here. And at that, where were his parents? He pursed his lips and gently pushed some of the mixture onto his paw. "Corban, I'm going to put this on your leg, okay? I can tell you what they all are and what they do, but time is of the essence here. If the infection spreads it could be a lot worse." He then, carefully, gently, with the assistance of his powers, let the pulp smear onto his wound evenly, going back over it with a wad of cobwebs. He finished about half of it before he moved to his smaller pile of thyme, feverfew, and lavender. No, he needed something ingestable to get his blood count up. Cori searched through his basket, looking for honey or sweet sedge. Ah, there! He looked visibly triumphant as he grabbed the plant and pulled it in half to reveal the sap. He was so glad this stuff grew in winter. Along with thick willow leaves, he was ready to go.

"Here," he murmured as he pushed the herbs closer, "I need you to try to eat these. Thyme is for shock, willow leaves will keep you from vomiting it up, feverfew for fever. And this, this is sweet sedge, I need you to lick up the sap. It'll help your infection heal from the inside out. Chew all of it slowly, if you need me to shred it up, tell me." Soon, he returned to putting the poultice on his wound as gently as he possibly could. "Thank you Bubblepup, you did great. He'll be okay."

[ this is the worst reply ever and it has no flow at all im so sorry?? ]

Offline Corban

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 07:29:34 PM »
He blinked and the semi-familiar form of Quietus had appeared. He appreciated the distance; he already felt exposed enough with Licorice and Bubblepup tending to him.

He felt sort of bad for scaring Bubblepup; he wasn't a caring person, but it didn't mean he enjoyed scaring youngsters. He ground his teeth and sucked in a quick, short breath while he worked on relaxing his muscles.

His ears perked up at the mention of food, even though he had no idea what "nutrients" meant it was probably good. The idea of someone else hunting for him was repulsive though, it felt like a regression; he was a skilled hunter, he'd take care of himself thank you very much. But he bit his tongue and didn't snap, instead trying to focus on what Licorice was saying.

Corban flicked his tail in mild amusement at Licorice's surprise. He supposed some of these people may find it strange that he wasn't eating a meal a day, but his eating habits were fairly normal for his kind.

"Bigger than a mouse, if you can bother it." Corban requested. He doubted the canine's ability to take on something as big as a caribou or an elk like the cougar normally ate, but anything would be better then nothing. "..Thank you." He added after a few moments.

He narrowed his eyes at Licorice's explanation of their powers. Move water around, heat it up, mess with blood?He.. Might've signed up for more then he could handle. Oh well. "Okay, I think I get it." He commented. "And fine, if you must do that. I won't snap at you again."

He stayed as still as he could while the dog put a bunch of stuff Corban couldn't name onto his wound. It stung and he wanted nothing more then to remove the gunk currently marring his pelt.

"You don't need to tear it up." Corban commented as he used one paw to pull the herbs closer as Licorice spoke. He started chewing it slowly, and his eyes turned to look at Bubblepup. He took a few moments to finish eating the weird mixture of stuff - he'd had worse but it tasted really bad - and then spoke up once he was done.

"Thank you." He started with that. He wasn't sure how else to communicate his appreciation without beating around the bush for ages so he took a moment to slowly blink at the pup and the two adults individually.
text