Author Topic: HABITS OF MY HEART / p  (Read 1480 times)

Offline vix

• semi-active.
    • View Profile
Re: HABITS OF MY HEART / p
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 11:32:10 AM »
<3
claire loves u!
CHARLIE WILDE

GIMMIE SOME OF THAT COLD CASH I WANT TO STUFF IT IN MY COUCH C'MON BRING ME THOSE BIG STACKS I NEED THE BRICKS TO BUILD MY HOUSE
Charlie follows after her and at her inquiry, Charlie waves his hand dismissively, scoffing lightheartedly at her certainty that she could, even off guard, take down anyone moderately larger than her. And most of the time, that happened to be just about everyone. With his other hand, he’s closing the door behind him, locking it behind him.

”I love helping those in need.” He deadpans, mirroring the words she’d only just said, as he turns to her and the words stand there for about a full minute before he breaks out into a fit of laughter. ”no, it’s just common curtesy... according to my father.” at this point, charlie is positive that the man had more affection for maverick than he did his own son and Charlie suspects that he has to do with the same jubilant and sanguine as Aunt Hops.

Immediately he heads for a closet that holds a bunch of extra comforts, blankets, pillows dedicated specifically for his mostly his father’s events, grabbing one nearest along with a silk cased pillow, before tossing them rather carelessly onto the couch that’s the shortest, meant as a joke, but his non-sober mind is almost baffled by how perfectly skip-sized this couch is. ”I’d tell you to be out by morning, but if my dad noticed you’re here he’d probably decide to go out for doughnuts.” He doesn’t remember the last time Maverick has been here to spend the night, if she ever had, but it was common routine that his father became Super Dad every time the blonde was around. No food became buffets and no’s became yes as long as she “looked after him” even when Charlie insisted it was often the other way around.

”here’s this as well,” he tosses her the remote control wedged between the cushions of the other couch before making the decision to go to bed. ”the morning,” he’d assure her, not being able to help but smile as he does. He heads upstairs, stripping himself from his more expensive clothing to instead tradeout for blue sleeping pants and a simple t-shirt that has history of being worn and he lays down. But as he does it’s him and the ceiling again and he’s feeling restless again and his left foot shakes in elevation to that.

He’s hungry. ”I’m hungry.” He decides before he get up, going back downstairs, beelining it for the kitchen, while simultaneously trying to catch the figure of Maverick. He sees her in light of the tv but rather quickly, he looks away, like a schoolboy meeting the eyes of his schoolgirl crush. He was ridiculous— embarrassing.

Surfing through cupboards only returned ramen noodles and a sweet stash secured by yours truly. He shuffles through it until he comes across popcorn. That’s a social food, right? But— why did that matter? He decides on it, putting it in the microwave, quietly shifting through social media. The timer beeps and he transfers the popcorn into a bowl, walking into the living room, clearing his throat to announce his presence. ”I was hungry,” he says, taking a seat on the longer couch. Cool kid sized. ”what are you watching?”

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 06:57:25 PM by thot’challa »
they say you're a little much for me
you're a liability

Offline finny.

• Senior Moderator
  • "what is up with finny and daddies" - crows
    • She/Her
  • A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' second year! Art by Hootowls. A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' first year! Art by Hootowls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 09:19:27 PM »
u rock !
YOU'RE AMAZING, DON'T FORGET IT <3
u rock !
maverick callista james

her nose scrunched up some when she heard him copying the words she just told him, laughing when he broke into laughter as well. maverick looked around his house, getting in the feel of it once more. "i haven't seen your dad in awhile." she mentioned, when they were younger she'd go over to the house more than she did now. that was after her father bailed and her mother slowly began being home less and less so the loneliness first begin to set in. so why not bug the boy two years older than her that she had a business with?

maverick stood in the living room and stretched her arms above her head as she let out a light yawn watching as he threw some things on the couch for her. when he tossed her the remote she caught it in her head and nodded her head. "the morning." she repeated, giving him a small smile. she sat the remote down for a second and walked into the bathroom. she untied the flannel from around her waist and slipped off the lace top she had on. she put on the flannel before removing the tights she had on, slipping the shorts back on to sleep in. they weren't pajamas, but it would be better to sleep in than the full outfit she had on.

the blonde made her way back to the living room and sat down on the smaller couch, turning on the tv before making sure it was at a quiet volume so she didn't disturb anyone else in the house. she searched through the guide for something to watch, deciding on something eventually. she was about to situate herself before she heard charlie come back downstairs, her head turning slightly to look at him walking into the kitchen.

the sound of popcorn being made came from the kitchen, making an amused noise come from her mouth. she checked her phone and wasn't surprised to not see a message from her mother asking if she were coming home or even safe at all. her lips pursed some as her thumb hovered over the contact in her phone, deciding against sending her mother a text. mav sat her phone on the side of the couch beside her before her blue eyes focused on charlie who came back out from the kitchen and took a seat on the opposite couch.

"oh-" her eyes shifted back to the tv. "-um, moana." she told him. her eyes remaining on the screen for a few minutes. eventually, she stood up and made her way over to the bigger couch and sat down next to charlie. "you're sharing now." she informed him before taking some popcorn. she moved her legs up onto the couch and closer to her body as she looked back at the tv.

you don't get thick skin
without getting burntHUB

Offline vix

• semi-active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 09:50:11 PM »
<3
claire loves u!
CHARLIE WILDE

GIMMIE SOME OF THAT COLD CASH I WANT TO STUFF IT IN MY COUCH C'MON BRING ME THOSE BIG STACKS I NEED THE BRICKS TO BUILD MY HOUSE
even though it appears as if he is, registered on his face with wide eyes and slacked jaw, charlie isn't surprised when maverick is asking for his snack. typical maverick, she's been doing it ever since she was nine years old and charlie was an eleven business boy beyond his years (which is why at the time, he'd rather had been addressed by his father as man. he literally took himself that seriously). she had the charm, he's forced to admit, which is why she became his partner in the first place. more than he, she caught everyone's attention. the all american, girl next door or whatever. and it still applies today.

he doesn't even get to confirm or deny he not-so-much-a-request before she's scooping up popcorn, lounging at his side without concept of personal space as she always had and even though charlie rolls his eyes, as if he were annoyed, he isn't. unlike the countless of times that he begrudgingly shared things with her from his business down to his beloved money, this wasn't one of those times. her being suddenly so damned close to where for a moment -- he falls rigid -- and he hopes that heartbeat isn't enough for her to take notice, he begins to think that maybe-- maybe. that's the kind of outcome he was looking for. but he doesn't say that outloud. instead, he shifts comfortably, playfully nudging her in the arm as if he were trying to get her off. "that wasn't a question, skip" he'd tease.

his attention returns to the screen to a girl singing about the ocean. the boy quirks a brow, a lopsided smirk caressing his face. "a disney movie?" he asks. he's never seen moana as barely, he even watches movies if they're not ones that have been out for years and he doesn't remember the last time he's actually been to a theater. most of his spending took his to clothes rather than things that might actually satisfy him in the entertainment aspect but he may or may not have thought that he was far too cool to watch forty-five minutes or a hour of a disney princess sing. "where's the action? ...the actual people?" he glances at her expectantly, wondering how she'd take judgments to her choice of movie.

you're a liability

Offline finny.

• Senior Moderator
    • She/Her
  • A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' second year! Art by Hootowls. A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' first year! Art by Hootowls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 11:49:44 PM »
u rock !
u rock !
maverick callista james

overall, maverick was a very comfortable person. she was comfortable with herself and how she held herself showed through. she was also comfortable around practically everyone - except for very few stragglers. she didn't mind being in close proximity to someone and she never really ever felt shy, even when she as in big crowds of people. but for some reason, being close to charlie always sent a certain type of feeling circulating throughout her body. the most common side effect of this is what you would call butterflies in your stomach - again, which was something that she rarely experienced. she didn't know why she felt this way, they were just friends and even now maverick wasn't so sure charlie considered her a friend, even when she considered him one of her best friends.

when charlie began to nudge her with his arm, a slight laugh left her lips. "you're right, it wasn't a question." one of her eyebrows raised as she spoke. "i'm not moving an inch." she informed him, eyes looking to the screen though she couldn't even focus on the movie, just staring blankly at it. as she sat there her hands went into her lap for a second, playing with the sleeves of her flannel while she did. subconsciously, her blue eyes drifted over to look at charlie. she took in all of the features she could see, and for a moment, a feeling of awe began to rush over her. maverick managed to snap herself out of it, blue eyes blinking some before she let out a breath and went to grab some more popcorn before charlie spoke up about the movie.

"yes a disney movie." she said to him, a tone in her voice that made it seem like she thought that it was obvious. "disney movies and probably the best movies on this planet. i also don't wanna brag but watching a disney movie with me will probably be the highlight of your entire life, wilde. two amazing things in one experience." the blonde focused back onto the scene that was playing out before she heard charlie speak up once more. her eyebrows scrunched up some as she looked over and studied his features for a second. was he judging the movie she decided to watch? moana was such a great movie, she had seen it quite a few times now. instead of making a comment back, she simply grabbed a few pieces of popcorn and threw it at charlie. the corners of her eyes crinkled in an amused manner, something that commonly happened she was amused by something.

"maybe if you stop judging the movie before you've actually seen it you'd learn to love it." she pointed out to him her eyebrows raising while she did.

you don't get thick skin
without getting burntHUB

Offline vix

• semi-active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 10:07:46 AM »
<3
claire loves u!
CHARLIE WILDE

"oh, really?" he inquires in imitative disbelief, eyebrows knitting as he ponders this sudden 'eye-open', lips drawn into a tight line as if he's thinking about it. once he does, his attention is on her again, lips parting slightly as he gives an astonished but collected shake of his head. "wouldn't have guessed." not when there is money in existence, sober him would've stated nonchalantly. he wouldn't have ever been intrigued to play along with maverick's games but here he was now because even when charlie liked to present himself as confident, maybe non-sober charlie put that whole idea to shame.

"the face the face, watch the face." He raises his hand to try and block the popcorn from hitting him, taking some of the stragglers that fell onto his chest to toss them back at her, his attempt at being serious cracking into something that could be described as delightful as it even reached his eyes. charlie wilde, facade cracked, but only to the girl that could.  "and how do you know i haven't?" he counters smugly, his eyes meeting hers to try and reflect the sincerity. both knew that he didn't or maybe, just maybe he would have liked it. but he liked giving her an hard time.

he was too drunk to focus, but not off the alcohol. even drunk charlie was beginning to realize that his sobriety was returning, that after this he would become uncomfortable with being too close to the girl he wanted to be close to and even these thoughts in his mind, the thoughts of being so content with looking into the blue eyes that resembled an ocean he's never been, would be blocked off with tape that exhorted "do not enter". because if he did, he was vulnerable. if he did, would he even be charlie wilde?

sober charlie, even being so close to her, would never have initiated the moment. he's between a line of going forth or backpedaling and if he went backpedals, then he doesn't have to consider the consequences, as he often doesn't do when it's anything besides this. but he'd regret not doing it. if he went forth, he could do it and just not think about later, but that euphoric feeling of now. drunk charlie doesn't consider consequences. if he wants to do it, god damn it, he wants to do it. it's impulsive, but he initiates it first. leaning in, his lips crash against hers, hand raising to cradle that line between jawline and cheek and there isn't any worry of what happens after— no boyfriends, no anti-emotions— but being able to reminisce and relive what her lips taste like after what seems like forever.

you're a liability

Offline finny.

• Senior Moderator
    • She/Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2018, 12:08:40 PM »
u rock !
u rock !
maverick callista james

when she threw the popcorn at him, she listened to his protests of her hitting his face with it. she laughed lightly before deciding to tease him a little bit. "no one would miss your face." that was a lie. she probably would. she'd never admit it now but seeing charlie each day might've brightened her day instantly no matter what happened before, even when he didn't want anything to do with her for the most part. she had grown use to it, she's seen him almost everyday for how many years? at least seven? it would definitely be a big shock to just stop seeing him after that long. especially now, since maverick did have undeniable feelings for him that she just kept holding back down.

maverick may of been confused by a lot of things, but charlie wilde was the one thing she could probably never figure out. she was confused on how only a few drinks could bring the person who wanted nothing to do with her could be so comfortable with sitting this close to her. she knew that the alcohol must've been slowly leaving his system and that things would be the same right soon enough. so she just sat as still as she could, almost trying not to spook him off again so she could just live in the moment and enjoy it. even though she shouldn't and that she should've kept in mind that she had a boyfriend. they were just sitting there right? no harm in that. was there?

then it wasn't just sitting there. before she could comprehend what was happening charlie was kissing her. she was surprised for a few good seconds before her eyes closed and she kissed him back. she felt the warmth of his hand on her cheek and jaw. her hand went and rested on he back of his neck, pulling him lightly closer in the process. maverick couldn't stop the light and content hum that came, almost in relief of what was happening. apart of her knew that this was just a slightly under the influence charlie doing this, but part of her was also hopeful that maybe this time was different.

you don't get thick skin
without getting burntHUB

Offline vix

• semi-active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2018, 12:48:15 PM »
<3
claire loves u!
CHARLIE WILDE

she’s kissing back and suddenly, the one exchanged by them in the car that night seems like child’s play. equally the amount of need, the longing but it isn’t rough or too forward, but passionate and what charlie could only describe as perfect but it’s hard to say as he’s never often fantasized on what a perfect kiss might be for him. there’s nothing in a car to separate them, and he thinks he hears it— the beating against her chest (or maybe it’s his own), the radiating heat as blood pressures sore. The kind of close he wanted to be with her most of the time. And now, even in his head, where he never wanted to admit things. He admits it. He admits it. He admits it. And his lips are too occupied to say it, so instead he shows it, using his other hand to slide gently around to the small of her back to draw her closer if it were possible, lingering there because it’s almost too satisfying for his fingers to brush across soft skin.

He hasn’t any intentions of going further, he wasn’t stupid. He had no intentions of stopping either, but suddenly, he did anyway. It was sudden, as if he’s not drawn by any stupid teen hormone shot, or alcohol, or... feelings, a charlie restarted except— that’s not completely it. He’s smiling bashfully and he’s not able to speak the words, so he’s reliant on telling it with his eyes (which is hard to do when your eyes are wandering every which way), tongue running thoughtfully along the inside of his cheek.

Then suddenly he gets up, placing the popcorn on the couch inhaling as he glances at her. ”tomorrow” he dimisses, saluting to her with one finger. He smiles again and then quickly, hes off and upstairs, not quite sure when he falls asleep after that as the kiss practically keeps him up all night.

When he wakes up, its on his mind again. But its not all bashful thoughts and smiles, it’s just another damned mistake that he wants to lock up in this box of other mistakes that he’s ever had since meeting Maverick. He doesnt think he’d have to deal with it, at least not until later on when she’s blowing up his phone, but as he goes downstairs lead by the intense smell of bacon, he hears not one voice— but two. His father’s and the blonde herself.

He takes a deep breath, hand running along the wall as he enters the room to be greeted by an jubliant Nick. “Hey Charles! How was the party?” The mans asks. In response, Charlie only raises his eyebrows. ”Too early for your questions, Nick. Especially when you’re talking like a park ranger.” he mumbles, gathering breakfast (not only bacon, but waffles) onto his plate. Purposely as he takes a seat at the island, hes avoiding the eyes of Maverick, trying to make it not-so-obvious that he was doing so.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 01:07:39 PM by vix »
you're a liability

Offline finny.

• Senior Moderator
    • She/Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2018, 12:18:36 AM »
u rock !
u rock !
maverick callista james

when he pulled away her eyes opened once more and looked at him. her breath was caught in her throat for a few moments before charlie was now on his feet. her head nodded lightly when he repeated the phrase of "tomorrow" or her before he was gone and upstairs. that's when the deep breath was released. she sat there for a minute, eyes focused on where he just disappeared to. there were so many thoughts rushing through her brain, a slight dazed feeling rushing over her. she blinked some before she got up and walked back over to the smaller couch. she sunk down into the cushions an pulled the blankets over her small body. it took her awhile of tossing and turning before she finally fell asleep.

maverick woke up that morning with full intentions on leaving right when she did. she had woken up, she had began to fold the blankets charlie had gotten for her last night. she was about to go out on her shoes when she heard a figure coming down the stairs. her eyes looked over to see nick, who had a pleasantly surprised look on his face. "maverick! i didn't think i'd see your face around here in awhile, especially this early!" a smile spread across her features as she turned around fully to face him. "it's good to see you!" she began. "we were at a party last night and your darling son had a bit too much to drink so i drove him home so he didn't ruin your truck. then he told me to crash here."

nick had ended up insisting that she at least stayed for breakfast, saying that he was making waffles and bacon. mav didn't want to stay and face charlie in the morning, knowing that he was most likely gonna be trying to avoid with what happened like charlie wilde always did. there was a part of her that just hoped that maybe he wouldn't this time. maybe a part of her needed him to not avoid it this time, she didn't fully know if she was able to go through it all over again. she hated how he easily swept things under the rug while she couldn't help but think about things nonstop.

maverick was sitting at the island in the kitchen talking with nick when she heard charlie start down the stairs. the breath caught in her throat as her eyes focused on the plate in front of her. her eyes were briefly on the brunette boy as he sat down, listening to the father and son talk to each other. "well, anyways. i was thinking we could go to dunkin' donuts and then the mall like we use to? that would be fun!" maverick was quiet for a few minutes, eyes drifting back and forth between the two before she spoke up. "i was actually gonna hang out with landon today but i could always reschedule that? it's been awhile since we have done that." she offered nick a smile while she spoke, her eyes looking to charlie briefly once again.
you don't get thick skin
without getting burntHUB

Offline vix

• semi-active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2018, 09:03:39 AM »
<3
claire loves u!
CHARLIE WILDE

the mall with nick wilde? it was an patchy revisit to the days where they were younger, where an preteen charlie tried to break off from family to gain independence that didn’t include a girl that wasn’t even his sister and an father who, for some reason, treated her as if she was or was something close. The times that preteen charlie was able to act mischievously without the prying eyes of nick and now maverick. Eventually, as they get older, maverick and charlie go alone, but it doesn’t hold the same weight with his father is involved.

He answers in disinterested silence, instead biting into the piece of bacon. Besides his annoyance, what else was to blame? Even with the few drinks he had, an moderate headache pounded in his ears (one that disclosed these two). It’s Maverick who answers first, and she’s said a name that already has forgotten. Ladon, but Charlie addresses him as Ken. Sometimes he forgot that he was apart of the picture, even when he was around. While Maverick saw this as an opportunity to reschedule on a boy that Charlie doubted she liked, Charlie saw this as an opportunity to subtly diminish a problem that drunk Charlie had started.

He doesn’t saw much, just lifts his shoulders into a shrug, cutting into the waffles. ”You can go with him.” The words aren’t looking for reassurance of Maverick’s willingness to go to the mall, but even as unexpressive as that are, they're subtly insistent that she go with her boyfriend. Maybe he notices, the fact that she’s hopeful, but the sooner he was to shoot it down, the sooner they could go back to being them— whatever they were besides business partners— something that didn’t involve a romantic relationship whatsoever.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:14:29 AM by vix »
you're a liability

Offline finny.

• Senior Moderator
    • She/Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 04:06:39 PM »
u rock !
u rock !
maverick callista james

it had been two weeks since that morning and maverick had to admit that she was avoiding charlie wilde. the same person that she had been so infatuated with for almost seven years was the person that she wanted to cut all ties with. even going as far as to get an actual job at a place she knew he would ever rarely go and to drop the bag off extra candy she had left over on his porch before her shift, as a way in telling him that she was done with the business in a nonverbal way.

mav felt completely stupid to think that charlie wilde had stopped being himself. she should've know that it was just he alcohol talking and she was pissed that she had let herself get her hopes up, even when the same scenario had played out before. maybe he was right all those times he called her a kid and that she was getting overdramatic over a situation that shouldn't even matter. it mattered to her. she didn't want to get into the habit of being okay with him wanting something to do with her after a party and then just pushing her away again the next day, she deserved more than that.

this was the blondes second day working at an actual job and to her surprise it wasn't as bad as people had made it out to be. or she was probably just still feeling the pride of getting an actual, hourly paying job. she didn't know. but for now she began to think that life was maybe actually going to start looking up. she didn't have to worry about the whole mess with charlie getting in the way with her relationship with landon and she didn't have to worry about hoping run a candy business.

maverick was on the cash registers for the day - which she preferred more than cooking. some of the customers could be bitches but she didn't like one of their comments effect how the rest of her day was going to go.

you don't get thick skin
without getting burntHUB

Offline vix

• semi-active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 07:29:28 PM »
<3
claire loves u!
CHARLIE WILDE

charlie, in the beginning, didnt think it was incredibly foolish in thinking that deftly they could fall into normal routine, what actually mattered— and that was the business. once they’d done it before, with a few difficulties out of charlie’s rise in panic but he doesn’t this time. not as intensely. as long as there was an unspoken agreement that what that night had been was a mistake, then he’d be able to ignore it. Maybe he was foolish for thinking that he knew Maverick— the girl he’s been dealing with all his life— enough to think that she’d want to stick around. the business, it was an he and she thing and even though there was a plethora of times he’d wanted to branch off alone he’s become used to her. Except, maybe he doesn’t know her.

Charlie is used to the one hitting the dial tone in any relationship. With father, and with Maverick. He’s used to controlling the status, but this time it’s out of his control. She ignores him, his calls without his prompting and even though it’s wavering, he doesn’t care. Last time, she’d came to the realization that she needed him and she’d came back, right? He doesn’t care. For the first week, that’s what he’s able to feign quite easily in thinking that eventually, Maverick will be back. Except, he’s beginning to doubt that when candy comes to his doorstep and it’s not the kind he’s expecting.

They seem to always do what they do best. A lot of not saying things. Charlie wants her to speak, but in a way that is satisfying to him. That doesn’t challenge him to be vulnerable for once in his life. Charlie wants to ignore it— continue the business without her, but the more he thinks about it the more it weaves and amps up an line of betrayal in his wake. How did she get to be upset at him? He’d never hinted at anything that expressed anger, and yet she did as she always did: assumed. Charlie knows more, but he’s in silent denial because there wasn’t any other feelings other than what was established when he was eleven and she nine. It just couldn’t be.

Charlie doesn’t remember the last time he’s walked into Taco Bell, and he does hesitate for both his hesitation and general safety, but as soon as he opens the door he’s greeted with the overwhelming smell of one of the worst fast food restaurants right along McDonalds. He tries not to hold his breah as he makes his way inside, hands stuffed inside his hoodie pockets as he searches for the familiar face of the blonde.

He sees her at the register in an outfit he doesn’t ever think that he’d ever seen either of them wearing and he chortles facetiously as he approaches. ”Didn’t expect a downgrade.” He’d joke, eyes scanning her once more. ”Not Apple Bees... Starbucks..?” He only does what he does best, avoiding a situation. But he knows what he’s here for and it’s not their oh-so-disgusting beef tacos.

you're a liability

Offline finny.

• Senior Moderator
    • She/Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 10:18:43 PM »
u rock !
u rock !
maverick callista james

it was a weird time of day where they were in between the rush hours, there were only about two people in the actual 'dining room' of the place and only around four cars had gone through the drive thru in the last ten minutes. maverick had taken the little bit of free time to straighten up the few places that needed to be cleaned up and adjusted the hat on her head. she tapped her fingers along the counter out of boredom and had turned to look back at one of her coworkers who had been talking to her when she heard the door open. as she turned around she heard the voice she had tried so hard to avoid, and for a moment she didn't want to turn around the rest of the way. eventually she did and her eyes landed on charlie, her lips pursing together while she did.

she didn't respond to what he had to say. just kind of stood there whole her hands rested on the counter in front of her. the ocean blue eyes scrutinized charlie, trying to figure on what he was trying to accomplish by being here. she was confused, above all things. he had tried so hard for seven years to get her out of his life so why did he come back when he accomplished that? probably just to poke fun at the job choice she made, maybe just to rub in the fact that he was his own boss. or he just wanted to get under her skin and taunt her. it almost annoyed her a little bit seeing him standing in front of her.

maverick then cleared her throat and stood up straight. an overly sweet and wide grin replaced her pursed lips. "what can i get for you?" the tone of her voice dripped with an obvious sense of forced sweetness just like the expression on her face, almost too nauseating to the point where she wanted to punch herself for doing it.

her eyes shifted over to look at the two customers that were sitting at a table in the farther corner. the looked around the room for a few minutes, just avoiding to look at charlie for too long of a time. she didn't know why she did that, but ah assumed that it was just because she was still pissed at him and didn't wanna explode in the middle of taco bell. eventually, she forced herself to look back at him. the fake grin dropped from her face and was replaced by a neutral expression. though, her eyebrows raised in a way to express that she wasn't gonna say anything unless he ordered something.

you don't get thick skin
without getting burntHUB

Offline vix

• semi-active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2018, 09:32:51 AM »
<3
claire loves u!
CHARLIE WILDE

there’s an expression on her face that once upon a time would have been much more satisfying than it is now. It’s the kind of face that she often put on when she’d rather deal with anything or anyone other than what or who she was dealing with right now, wedged between the same expression to wore when they were mocking each other. Charlie finds it remotely satisfying to know that she at least cares enough for him to be getting under his skin, but he doesn’t hold that victory over his head. Had he been looking for that, he’d follow the words with a “hoooo boy the job already getting to you?” but he doesn’t, he holds his tongue. Being well.... him wasn’t going to get him anywhere with angry Maverick.

His eyes run over a bunch of unsatisfactory things for a stretch of time, peanut gallerying his disgust towards each along the way before he finally looks at her, pointing up at the menu. ”can i have two of those mountain dew things?” he asked, stuffing his hands back into his pocket to fish out his wallet as he offered her a lopsided grin to unnecessarily elaborate. ”you know, one for now and one for later.” that wasn’t the case, though. He had plans on giving one to Maverick as some sort of... not an apology, but agreement? without having to speak much about it. She liked this shit, right? It was a win on win for the both of them.

He pulls out the cash needed along with a five, slipping the bill into their tip box, raising his eyebrows as his eyes turned expectantly towards her. ”i don’t suppose that would buy you some time?” he joked, looking around. ”just seems... i don’t know... kinda slow around here right now. they don’t need you.” that’s charlie’s best translation of, ”can i talk to you please” without the situation getting awkward. as much as maverick hated an awkward situation, so did he, but charlie could feel himself at the edge of one, and undeniably so.

Once they’re outside, he offers her one of the slushies along with a prompting grin. ”Don’t suppose that and the tip isn’t enough.” Enough to come back. But he wants to keep at least a little bit of his dignity. For the time being that he has it, at least.

you're a liability

Offline finny.

• Senior Moderator
    • She/Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2018, 10:13:31 PM »
u rock !
u rock !
maverick callista james

her lips were pursed once again while she put in his order of the things he described as the 'mountain dew things', she didn't even have to look up at the menu in order to know what he was talking about. "that'll be three dollars and ninety eight cents." she told him. her eyes watched as he took an extra five dollars and put it in the tip charge. she hit back her tongue and didn't say anything about that. when he had made the assumption that they wouldn't need her and subtly implied that he wanted to talk to her, her eyes narrowed the slightest bit at him. she was quiet, trying to figure out some type of an excuse on why she couldn't have a conversation with him.

maverick turned around and went over to grabbed the two baja blast freezes that he ordered. she handed them to him and nodded her head towards the door in a way of saying that she would follow him out there. once she began to follow him she paused briefly to grab the five dollars from the tip jar again. once they were outside she handed him the five dollars. "take it back, i don't want either of them." she said simply, also referring to the drink that he was trying to offer her. her eyes shifted around momentarily before she looked at him again. "what do you want, charlie?" her jaw tightened as she waited for his answer, listening to him when he finally did answer.

she didn't want to make a huge deal out of everything. she didn't want to seem like it bothered her as much as it did. she was chewing on the inside of her cheek, trying to get herself to stop what was about to happen. her left leg tapped the ground quietly as she closed her eyes and took a deep breath, arms crossing over one another. her eyes open and she finally opened her mouth to speak. "i'm going to be real honest with you right now," maverick began, hesitating for a brief moment before she decided that she needed to get this weight lifted off of her shoulders finally. "i don't want to be around you anymore. i don't want to be around someone who feels so comfortable with me when they're drunk and then doesn't want to be even a foot close to me when they're not."

she paused briefly to look at the ground for a few minutes and collect herself. "and the funny thing is, i probably don't even have a real reason to be mad at you, but i am anyways. you're so afraid to seem vulnerable that you won't even let yourself feel any type of emotion, you just close everyone off when you feel even the slightest bit vulnerable. i like you charlie, maybe even more than a friend should like a friend, so i'm sorry that makes you uncomfortable. you've gotten your wish on trying to get rid of me for the last seven years, because i'm just done now. i hope that everything goes well with the business, but just please... leave me alone, charlie."

maverick stood there for a minute, her eyes looking up at him briefly before back at the building. "i gotta get back to work."

you don't get thick skin
without getting burntHUB

Offline vix

• semi-active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2018, 10:43:33 PM »
<3
claire loves u!
CHARLIE WILDE

”well, isn’t it obvious?” he asks lightheartedly, raising an eyebrow. ”it starts with you not being serious, maverick. you know what happens when we’re serious.” when they were serious, charlie had lost his cool. when they were serious, there seemed to be all these complications in this partnership, something that charlie hadn’t even fully come to understand was truly sought to be a one time thing. maybe charlie was a little confident in thinking that he would convert maverick into some dramatic job quit to continue the business with him just because that’s how it always has been. Only this time, things change, and he’s for someone so good at reading people, he’s ignorant to the tone until her words are spoken.

Charlie is taken aback by her speech, her reaffirmation that she doesn’t be around him anymore. And it doesn’t go there, but she pushes deeper, each word ingraining deep into an being that he doesn’t want to expose and it does show. His body, rigid. His jaw, clenched, and there’s anything other than the typical apathy in his eyes, almost branishing chagrin, his humiliation on something he’s been able to avoid all his life up until now. The winner of it all is something that last night, he’d wanted to hear and if he would have been any more of an idiot, he’d have admitted. I like you. And there was no eye opening sequence, because he knew. There was always something there he was unwilling to admit but he could shut it down when he wanted to. Needed to. But it wasn’t unspoken now. It hung there, in the air, daring Charlie to say anything. The right thing to make Maverick stay. It was all so easy, and yet it holds onto the edge of his tongue. Did he really need her anyway?

She was the person who challenged every aspect of his being. Of what made him him. And did he like her? He sure damn hoped not. He didn’t care but— before she could walk away, he calls out to her. ”Good luck.” And he could say more on how he was torn on two, tantalizing her on her silly crush and how she should have known they would have been anything but. But he doesn’t want that. He doesn’t want to ruin this relationship any more ruined.

He stands there for a moment, contemplating before he finally turns around. ”I don’t need her,” and he’d repeat it as if it were gospel in a church he didn’t believe it as if he were convincing others, but in reality its to convince himself. Because ever since he could walk, ever since he could talk, ever since he could remember: Charlie Wilde needed no one.

you're a liability