Author Topic: HALLELUJAH - private w/ Hoot  (Read 1278 times)

Offline darky

• They/Them
  • A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' first year! Art by Hootowls.
    • View Profile
HALLELUJAH - private w/ Hoot
« on: August 11, 2018, 07:01:03 PM »
YOU'VE GOT A HEART-SHAPED HOLE IN YOUR CHEST
"Smell that? That's the smell of gasoline and street fights. Gods, I love the city." Leon Hargrove - also known to many as Zodiac the somewhat infamous villain turned hero - said as he unboarded from the train that'd taken him and his companion straight into the heart of Hyris City.

The train station itself was impressive; a large arching glass rooftop lit up the entire station, while the neverending crowd of people hurried through the gigantic station. The train itself was slowly filling up with passengers as people boarded more than they exited; which made sense, considering the train went to several different popular nearby locations. But for Leon and his companion's purposes, they needed to start at the center of Hyris.

He dragged his companion and his suitcase through the crowds, chirping off random facts about Hyris as they walked. He'd been to the city many times before; it was a hotspot for mid to high level villains, considering the city was only slightly smaller than Chicago and was a bit more crowded. It was incredibly easy to go under the radar here, which was why it was the most plausible place their quarry had escaped to.

After fighting the crowds, they escaped onto the street. Cars and taxis were everywhere, trying to pick up people either for profit or out of endearment to the person needing a ride. The buildings rose out of the ground, nearly blocking out the sky; office buildings and commercial buildings most likely, most of the residential areas were further from the bustle of the train station.

Leon called, shoving his way through the waiting people to jump into an open taxi. He patted the seat beside him once he'd climbed into his seat and waited for Brendan to climb inside. "Take us to the third most fancy hotel you know." Leon ordered, and the driver only grunted and started to wind his way through the busy street.

"I've got about two weeks worth of funds, so we'd better make this quick." Leon texted to Brendan, not wanting the driver to eavesdrop on their plans.

//Dropping the code to my fancy bc I don't wanna dig it up every time I respond btw
Code: [Select]
[center][div style="width: 400px; min-height: 5px; border-top: 1px black solid;"][/div][div style="width: 400px; min-height: 20px; border-top: 1px black solid; color: black; font-family: arial; font-size: 15px;"]YOU'VE GOT A HEART-SHAPED HOLE IN YOUR CHEST[/div]
[div style="width: 400px; min-height: 20px; color: black; font-family: andale mono; font-size: 12px; text-align: justify;"]TEXTHERE[/div][/center]
I need to save you, but who's going to save me?
characters ++ staff ;p

Offline BRENDAN C.

• au account —★ @hootowls
    • View Profile
Re: HALLELUJAH - private w/ Hoot
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 07:31:14 PM »
To be perfectly honest, Brendan hasn’t ever been outside his hometown—homecity? God, he doesn’t fucking know—except for taekwondo tournaments; he had never ever found a reason to leave his home, after all. Basically all of the crime he deals with is where he lives and, to be perfectly honest, the only reason he’s even out in Hyris or what-the-fuck-ever it’s called is because some big-ass villain had decided to run around here...A villain which, in all fairness, Brendan fucking despises.

As Leon continues pumping out facts like a broken copy machine, Brendan takes the time to eye the people around him, shoulders tending. He checks their hands, their faces, their movements...anything that’ll make them scream like a threat. But the duo moves quickly, hardly giving Brendan enough time to fully examine everyone around him; sighing now, he darts his hues forward, looking past Leon’s bleach-colored head and into the far distance.

The city is bustling and moving—perhaps even quicker than what he’s used to back at home—but it’s not too overwhelming at the very least. With his grip tightening onto the handle of his black suitcase, Brendan drags his eyes upward towards the almost-blocked sky, frown tightening.

if a villain bombs that thing, every-fucking-one here will die, his mind comments, vision landing on the tallest skyscraper. ...goddamn.

Ducking his head, Brendan slides into the taxi after Leon once his luggage is stored in the trunk, eyes narrowing into slits when he realizes he’s two inches too short for the damn ceiling of the stupid fucking car and this stupid fucking—

Zrrt.

Blinking at the sudden phone buzz, Brendan glares on over at Leon before yanking his phone out of his pocket and staring at the screen—oh, a fucking text...great. With a small hmph, Brendan simply tucks the phone back into his pocket; despite resting his elbow on the windowsill, he doesn’t find himself look outside. No, instead, he glares on over at the driver.

There...isn’t anything suspicious about the guy, nothing at all, but...when in a city where some-fucking-how villains are more common here than any other, Brendan’s a little...sweaty. When the car pulls to a stop in front of some hotel, however, Brendan immediately springs open the door and clambers out, only to pause and pull out a five from his pocket and place it on his seat.

"thanks," Brendan mumbles to the driver—but his voice is hardly audible, anyways, as he shuts the car door. Raising his voice a little now, he begins to head towards the trunk to take out his luggage. "hurry up, Leon."

Offline darky

• They/Them
  • A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' first year! Art by Hootowls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 07:43:17 PM »
Leon tried to mask his annoyance as Brendan didn't respond to his text; which was fine, Brendan left him on read all the time. It was cool, this trip would go smoothly even if Brendan continued looking like he was about to murder everybody within a fifteen foot radius.

They pulled up in front of some pretty averagely fancy hotel and Leon sprung out, trotting to the driver's side window and paying him with a nice tip despite Brendan already tipping him. He hurried to the trunk and grabbed his luggage, huffing at Brendan's impatience.

"I'll get us checked in, then we can get going." Leon said as he headed up the grandiose staircase to the hotel's glass front doors. He went into the large lobby and headed straight for the clerk, gesturing for Brendan to take a seat to wait. He put on a prize winning smile as he talked to her, mustering as much charisma as he could to make sure that if any villains came knocked they'd at least have the staff on their side.

A few minutes later, room secured and clerk successfully charmed he trotted to Brendan. "We're good, I got the key and they've got a pool that we can use." Leon hummed happily. "Same room with twin beds just in case, ya know, assassins and shit."
characters ++ staff ;p

Offline BRENDAN C.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 07:57:55 PM »
Once Leon clambers his luggage out of the trunk, Brendan reaches upward and forcefully closes it, careful not to slam it too hard in case this taxi driver is like...mr. fucking-don’t-be-shitty-to-my-car or some shit. (Honestly, Brendan can relate to that, but when placed inside a foreign city he doesn’t know at all, he...really can’t even be bothered to think about relating to anyone but himself.)

Trailing behind Leon and through the hotel, Brendan blinks a little at the clean decor that surrounds the two of them; It isn’t the most fancy, but as someone who has spent most of his life near a bunch of chickens...well, the place reeks of mountains of soap bubbles. Hell, maybe even—febreeze? Shit, this hotel must be desperate to climb past the number three rank, huh?

Even when Leon gestures for him to sit, Brendan doesn’t even fucking bother. Arms crossed, he stands as still as a statue, eyeing the decor—and staff—around him with icy cold hues. Some of the people glare back, which only results in Brendan flexing his muscles just a little bit. He doesn’t give a fuck if people decide they hate him, he can handle them all with just one leg.

fina-fucking-lly, his mind buffs as the two begin to make way towards their room.

Whatever Leon says, Brendan drowns it out by examining the building around him. There’s tiny places here and there that irk him about this place, but truth be told, he can’t come to think of what. It just...y’know...pisses him the fuck off.

"stay away from the pool," Brendan mumbles, finally taking the moment to actually listen to Leon. "villains can lace the water with acid..."

...or drown us, his mind adds, but he chooses not to say that out loud—he’s fairly confident in his swimming abilities.

Once inside their room, Brendan shuts the door and locks it immediately. With one arm does he fling his suitcase onto his bed, and he quickly follows after it to unzip it and begin unpacking. Shoving his superhero gear out of the way, he reaches in and grabs a laptop.

"what’s the plan for tonight?" he sharply questions, setting the laptop aside on a dresser.

Offline darky

• They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 08:09:12 PM »
Leon could tell Brendan wasn't listened to what he was saying as they made their way towards their rooms, so he just chatted about meaningless nonsense; books he'd read lately, his previous experiences at the fanciest hotel in Hyris back before he met Brendan, his excitement at being able to go swimming in a fancy hotel.

Well, that last bit Brendan didn't seem to be on board for; whatever. He could handle not going swimming at this incredibly fancy hotel that he was paying a shitton of money to stay at, he could totally handle that. Maybe once they caught the guy Brendan would loosen up a bit and they could have some fun.

He dug through his luggage, crouching on the floor rather than putting it on his bed; he'd had to pack light, so he had one spare change of clothes, his hero clothes, his laptop and a modified taser that could be fired five times in quick succession; it was still a work in progress but he figured it'd be useful.

"I'm thinking big dinner, maybe catch a movie; you know, try to relax." Leon said, flashing a grin in Brendan's direction as he held one finger up to his mouth; if he maybe looked like a creepy Cheshire cat man, it was a necessary precaution.

He started going over the room; checking lightbulbs and under every piece of furniture, combing over every part of the room as he waited for Brendan to either yell at him or get the idea and shut up. If the room was bugged, they certainly didn't want to reveal their plans immediately.
characters ++ staff ;p

Offline BRENDAN C.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 08:25:07 PM »
Brendan hadn’t packed anything like a taser, hell no—personally, he thinks he’s too badass to be relying on weapons such as those. Well...he does have a weapon of his own, and as he pulls the staff out of his suitcase, he lets it roll around in his hand for a bit before plopping it back in next to the Phoenix armor. He, too, had to pack light, but he managed to stuff in shit like deodorant and cologne and an extra change of clothes.

Hues lifting back up onto Leon, Brendan hesitates at the response, gritting his teeth. Okay...that’s fucking brilliant.

"sounds boring as hell—"

Next thing he knows, Leon is scrambling about, checking the damned lightbulbs and whatnot. It takes Brendan a moment or two, but it dawns on him as his eyes widen a bit—of course. Damn, he’s a fucking idiot, isn’t he? Straightening his posture, Brendan stretches for a quick second before looking around.

"all good?" he pauses, a look of contemplation resting on his features. "I wanna check out the people next to us, make sure they’re...good."

Offline darky

• They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 08:33:52 PM »
Leon stops, sitting on the floor with his back against the wall as he raised one arm to give a thumbs-up to Brendan. No listening devices or otherwise nasty machinery, which was good since it would've been a hassle to get rid of.

"We're good, and if you don't mind I'll be installing a bit of tech of my own while you're meeting our neighbros, for security purposes and whatnot." Leon said, grinning as he reached over and grabbed his suitcase to drag it over to where he was sitting. He'd managed to pack some smaller bits of tech; mainly three listening devices, one for their room and two for emergency purposes.

"Let me know if you need any help." Leon said as he continued to mess with the bug, his eyes already scouring the room for the best place to hide it. Best for him to spy on the activity in the room, just in case someone did break in and try to set up their own operation.
characters ++ staff ;p

Offline BRENDAN C.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 08:46:39 PM »
Brendan isn’t good with dealing with the villain tech...to be honest, if he wants to get rid of something, he just tries to use all of his muscle to rip it out and then proceed to punch it to death or something. Leon, on the other hand, is a giant fucking nerd, and probably prefers to keep things "preserved" or whatnot just so he can fuck with whatever later. (Which, Brendan reminds himself, he needs to make sure Leon doesn’t do that during this time—he doesn’t want to risk anything.)

"I’ll be back in a bit," Brendan states flatly, heading for the door; he doesn’t respond to the offer of help because—quite frankly—Brendan believes that he is perfectly capable of handling possibly rowdy neighbors.

The neighbors are nothing too notable, really; as Brendan closes the door behind him and locks it once more, he sharply sighs, hands digging into his pockets as he looks around for Leon. The neighbor on the right is nothing but a lady as sweet as pumpkin pie, while the other...well, let’s just say he wasn’t happy to have his door knocked on.

To be frank, Brendan doesn’t like the neighbor to the left of them—hell, he fucking hates him already. But, he hasn’t done anything wrong, not yet, so he decides to drop it and focus on...more important matters, such as the reason he and Leon are on this damned trip anyways.

Plus, It’s about nighttime now, which means it’s phoenix time, which means he’s about ready to kick the shit out of some ass and get this damn show on the road. All day has Brendan been itching to fuck some people up, to track down this stupid villain and kick his brains out.

Once he’s suited and cologned up, Phoenix grabs hold of his staff and glares towards the bathroom, feet nonchalantly tapping against the carpet beneath him.

"ready?"

Offline darky

• They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 08:57:58 PM »
Leon took his time getting dressed; projecting a confusing aura was kind of what he did. Nobody expected the guy in a green suit to be running around doing flips and kicking people, and that millisecond of hesitance was what he was after.

Suited up, taser on his belt and mask hiding his identity, he headed out of the bathroom where Phoenix was already ready and impatient. He shrugged, already pumping himself up to get into character; he had a reputation to protect after all.

"Ready as I'll ever be." Zodiac hummed, smiling at Phoenix. "We climbing out the window? Or do we wanna parade through the lobby. Signing some autographs might make this day less boring."

He let Phoenix decide how they were going to exit, considering Phoenix might explode if he didn't. Brendan already seemed stressed about being away from their usual stomping grounds, he didn't want to upset him further.
characters ++ staff ;p

Offline BRENDAN C.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 09:12:43 PM »
Phoenix isn’t the type for confusing others—it’s a tricky process that he doesn’t feel the urge to master. As cruel as it sounds, he feels more tempted to scare the ever-living shit out of people, to make them never want to be a villain against because goddammit Phoenix is frightening as hell. It’s worked on the newcomer villains, it’s worked on fucking zodiac, and as far as phoenix Is concerned...it’ll work on just about any normal human.

Zodiac’s desire to protect a reputation of his is——baffling, to say the least. Hell, what kind of reputation does he have, anyways? He had been a villain at one point, if that counts for anything...but...while Brendan nor Phoenix would never admit it, Zodiac is a great asset to the world of heroes; Ever since he became one, so fucking many villains have been put to a halt. And, soon enough, there’ll be a new villain in jail tonight.

Judgmental masked eyes landing on Zodiac, Phoenix snorts a little, Rolling his shoulders a tad; glancing at the door, then the window, he begins to walk towards the latter option. He, too, needs to get into character—that means pursing his lips shut. Sliding open the window, Phoenix pokes his head out, not even flinching as the nightly breeze stings his cheeks. Climbing over the sill, he begins to descend downwards, moving quickly so he’s less likely to be noticed higher up.

Once he’s on the sidewalk pavement, he flexes his muscles a bit, eyes darting to and fro; there’s so many places they can go, so many bad guys to beat up, its hard to just pick one direction. But for now, Phoenix decides on waiting for Zodiac to hurry up and get his ass down here.

he’s too fucking slow.

Offline darky

• They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 09:27:30 PM »
He waited for Phoenix to climb out the window before climbing out himself; not the first time he'd done stuff like this, working with Phoenix and previously working as a full-time villain. Still he wasn't anywhere near as agile as Phoenix, and took his time to prevent him from slipping and breaking his neck or something equally stupid.

Safely on the ground, he stretched his arms above his head and yawned. He'd been to this city before, several times actually; meeting with people from other villainous organizations and sometimes contracted out to do jobs for said other villains. Nowadays the people he formerly worked with would be happy to snap his neck or perhaps do something more gruesome, but he tried to not think about that too much.

"I know all the fun hotspots, but if you've got a direction you wanna go then lead the way." Zodiac hummed, instinctively sizing Phoenix up for a moment. It was still quite... Usual, to be running around with Phoenix; when they were in costume it was easier to forget, but now that they were in their full hero getups it was harder to forget his time as a villain when Phoenix would kick his ass nearly daily.

"Gods, I remember when me and my old boss used to go to all these fancy restaurants and meet with all these other villains; sometimes we'd get invited to these really eloquent parties and shit, I don't even think all the people at those were villains." Zodiac reminisced, knowing Phoenix had probably shut out his chatter by now. "Politicians, CEOs, bunch'a other really influential people; it was the high life, that's for sure."
characters ++ staff ;p

Offline BRENDAN C.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 10:01:40 PM »
In terms of overall physical strength, Phoenix comfortably holds the title of beating Zodiac in a fucking landslide. Sure, the dude is younger than him, but damn—it’s a miracle Zodiac even survived as a villain (or at all), really. But then again, Leon is training under Brendan in terms of taekwondo, so...it’s not too far of a stretch to say that he’ll get better with time.

...but not better than me, his mind coldly growls, watching Zodiac carefully pick his way down. goddamn.

It’s hard for Phoenix to chase away the thoughts of him beating up Zodiac every other night; while it certainly has been a while since those nights, sometimes Phoenix and Zodiac both happen to come across old villains that bring up those memories effortlessly, as if it’s their only weapon...well, it’s a pretty fucking weak as shit weapon, isn’t it? Zodiac has gotten a hell of a lot stronger as a hero, and goddammit, Phoenix is going to make sure he stays on the right side.

By the time Zodiac is planted beside him, Phoenix finds himself glancing across the street, watching an unfamiliar figure look to and fro before scrambling into the shadows of an alleyway. For a second, Phoenix’s muscles scream for him to give chase, but——he hesitates when he sees two much larger figures charge after the shadow.

zodiac, shut the fuck up—

Rolling his eyes, Phoenix slaps a hand against Zodiac’s mouth (admittedly a little roughly), not bothering to listen to the constant jabbering. (For fuck’s sake Zodiac, why would Phoenix be interested in your lame-ass villain stories? If anything, they only make Phoenix get the urge to kick your face in.)

Ripping his hand away from the fellow hero, Phoenix proceeds to sign: follow me.

And with that, he sets off, sprinting towards the alleyway he had been staring at for the past few moments; skidding to a halt, he plants his back against a wall, peering around the corner to watch the scene unfold in front of him. It’s a stereotypical mugging: a man is backed into a corner, with two men with knives cursing shit and practically begging For money—or an ass kicking.

Without even bothering to check if Leon followed him, Phoenix decides to take action; with gritted teeth, he hand springs into the alleyway, moving efficiently but still making effort to...well, show off. Once he’s close enough, Phoenix lands on his two feet and slams the back of his hand into one of the muggers’ cheeks, his fists tight.

Offline darky

• They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 10:15:46 PM »
Zodiac shut up as Phoenix slapped a hand over his mouth, quietly starting to stew in resentment. Whatever, Phoenix did these things sometimes; he was sure it was for a good reason. His gaze turned towards where Phoenix was surveying, and he saw the shadows darting around.

He nodded as Phoenix signed, though it didn't seem as if his companion had noticed. He gave chase across the street, coming to a halt on the sidewalk to access the scene; two muggers and a rather handsome man backed into a corner by said muggers. Before he could act, Phoenix was springing in to throw blows.

He darted in, ducking low to deliver a nasty uppercut that carried the momentum of his entire body to one of the muggers. He leaped backwards as the man rubbed his chin, dazed for only a few seconds before he came back swinging. It was easy enough blow to dodge, and Zodiac dropped into a crouch and swung one leg to sweep the mugger off his feet.

Off-kilter, he threw his hands to the ground to stop the momentum of his swing from knocking him off his feet. Now resembling a photogenic tree frog more than anything else, he glanced at Phoenix to see if he could do anything helpful from his current position.
characters ++ staff ;p

Offline BRENDAN C.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 11:07:37 PM »
Phoenix doesn’t pay attention to neither Zodiac or the dude being mugged (that was being mugged now); instead, he focuses on the man he’s attacking, who’s big and burly, but still a few inches shorter than Phoenix himself. Shifting into a fighting stance, Phoenix stares silently as the man whips out his pocket knife, spitting out blood.

Keeping light on his feet, Phoenix decides to cartwheel away—rather flamboyantly—in order to avoid the knife that swings in his direction; remaining in a handstand, Phoenix kicks his feet out at the villain, smashing his feet into their chest several times before flipping back onto his feet. The mugger stumbles back, desperately panting for breath and...trying to get away as he begins to scramble backwards.

fuck no.

Charging forward, Phoenix grabs the man’s arm and hauls him over, slamming him straight into an elbow, which is followed by yet another backhand; As blood spurts from the villain’s nose, Phoenix finishes him off by crashing the heel of his feet into the side of the man’s head. Watching him crumple to the ground, clearly defeated, Phoenix snorts, flexing his muscles triumphantly.

Casting a sideways glance towards Zodiac’s direction, Phoenix nonchalantly spits at the unconscious body of the mugger, before staring back at the victim of all of this.

shit, he curses, glaring at their trembling frame, they’re fucking terrified.

Despite a part of him feeling a little...achieved, so to speak, at the frightened-beyond-belief person, A part of Phoenix realizes that this person is nothing more than a...man in distress. Exhaling a little softly, Phoenix brings his attention back towards Zodiac—he’s better suited for this kind of shit.

make sure he’s okay, he signs, his hand movements crisp and rapid.

(( uhhh you can rp the victim if you want ))

Offline darky

• They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 01:53:09 PM »
Phoenix had his dude handled, because of course Phoenix did; he was like, a master at kicking-ass pretty much. Still, Zodiac tried to help out whenever he could despite the disparity in their skill levels.

He rose to his feet in one smooth motion, still looking to Phoenix for guidance now that the threat had been eradicated relatively quickly. His mugger was still awake, but he had the common sense to stay on the ground where Zodiac had tripped him.

Phoenix signed to make sure someone was okay- Ooooh right, the victim. Right. Zodiac turned to look at the shaking, terrified man who was holding what looked like a bookbag to his chest, knuckles white from holding it in a vice-like grip.

"Hey buddy, it's alright." Zodiac said, holding his hands up in a small gesture that he didn't mean harm. "Never been saved by a superhero before? Yeah, it's pretty easy to tell." Zodiac said softly, giving the man a small, nervous smile.

"W-who are you people?" The man asked shakily, his breathing coming in ragged gasps. He looked ready to bolt, danger eliminated or not.

"Name's Zodiac, my companion is Phoenix; we're kinda from out of town." Zodiac answered, trying not to size the man up too much. It wasn't his fault that this stranger had a particularly handsome face, so he should just try not to stare and creep this dude out. "Just uh, try to take a minute and calm down, alright?"
characters ++ staff ;p