Author Topic: HALLELUJAH - private w/ Hoot  (Read 1726 times)

Offline PHOENIX

• au account —★ @hootowls
    • View Profile
Re: HALLELUJAH - private w/ Hoot
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 03:02:17 PM »
Phoenix can’t help but growl at the idea of being saved by someone—who in their right mind would like that, anyways? Being so fucking helpless, pushed into a corner where the only way out is through crying, hoping that they would spare you...no, just——hell no. He’s tired of that kind of shit, fucking tired of it all, and...

goddammit, stay focused, you fuck.

Hiding under his breath, Phoenix glowers at Zodiac as he tries to reassure the victim, before dragging his icy mask to the direction of the unconcious mugger; Exhaling sharply, he crouches down, fingers reaching into one of the pockets. He feels around for a bit, pulling out random items such as a wallet, a house key, and—another fucking knife, but at the very least it isn’t bloody.

bastard.

Flinging the items onto the man’s gut, Phoenix hauls his attention towards the other mugger, who—

why the fucking hell is he awake?

Goddammit, Zodiac. God-fucking-dammit. With bared teeth, Phoenix stomps on over to the other mugger, shoulders tense as he stares down at the pathetic excuse of a human; the mugger is shaking, akin to that of a mini earthquake, and if anything, that only makes Phoenix more pissed. It’s pathetic, pathetic as all hell.

Placing one hand on the man’s collar bone, Phoenix forces him down as he begins to dig through his pockets, eyes occasionally flicking back towards the man’s hands to make sure he doesn’t do anything a typical dumbass would do. Straightening a little, Phoenix carefully draws out a thin piece of paper, with distinct numbers resembling that of a phone number written on it, and some scrambled-together words on the back; pursing his lips into a tighter frown, Phoenix lessens his grip on the man as he examines the card.

shit—

Almost instantly does the man protest, hands swinging around wildly to swipe away the paper from Phoenix’s hand; grunting, Phoenix grabs hold of the man’s hair and yanks his head upwards, before smashing his head back into the pavement. The swinging stops, and with a huff, Phoenix promptly lifts himself onto two feet—that was fucking easy as hell.

Turning heel, Phoenix eyes daggers at zodiac and the victim for a few moments longer, before storming forward. Clenching his hand onto his comrade’s shoulder, he shoves him away from the victim, all while using his other hand to shove the note at Zodiac.

Offline darky

• They/Them
  • A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' second year! Art by Hootowls. A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' first year! Art by Hootowls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 03:21:32 PM »
YOU'VE GOT A HEART-SHAPED HOLE IN YOUR CHEST
The man was shaking less now, slowly calming as Zodiac mumbled quiet reassurances and let the man compose himself. The stranger had inky black hair, a bit ruffled and unorderly and deep emerald eyes hidden behind a pair of glasses. Zodiac felt extremely lucky his mask pretty much covered any blush he might have.

He didn't pay attention to Phoenix, assuming he was tying up the muggers or otherwise doing something hero-ly and useful. He let out an undignified yelp and snapped to attention as Phoenix grabbed him and shoved him away, and for a second the urge to throw up his arms in defense surged through him. He kept his cool mostly though, and nervously smiled at Phoenix as his companion shoved a piece of paper in his face.

"Jeez, calm down and let me see." He said, voice breathy and cautious. He grabbed the paper from Phoenix's hand and looked at it, a phone number standing out and some words written on the other side.

"Ohohoh, lookie here. We've got a lead, seems like." Zodiac said, his voice strengthening in victory. "I gotta say, we're probably the luckiest people alive. Says something about picking up some stuff for Jones, and then a mystery phone number." Zodiac thought out loud, grinning.

"We should- Well, first of all we gotta take care of these guys and then we should see if we can call the number and track the signal." Zodiac said, looking up at Phoenix. "Can you take these guys in by yourself? I would rather not reacquaint myself with the local authorities just yet."
I need to save you, but who's going to save me?
characters ++ staff ;p

Offline PHOENIX

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 05:03:52 PM »
The shrill yelp that emits from Zodiac’s mouth doesn’t even cause Phoenix to flinch, let alone calm down in his...aggressive demeanor. If anything, Phoenix only finds himself tending up a little more, his teeth gritting together as the note is briskly whipped out of his hands; with a small blink, the hero studies the note for a quick second, before moving his gaze elsewhere as soon as Zodiac begins rambling off on his shitty tangents again.

damn.

From what he can hear, there appears to be no sirens, no screaming, no sounds of gunshots—nothing that gives away another crime to solve. Instead of relaxing his muscles and softening his posture, however, Phoenix tightens his fists, tuning in on Zodiac’s personal monologue for a few split seconds. Mystery phone number—as if Phoenix hadn’t fucking realized that earlier—aaaand some random shit about delivering things.

So, turns out the lame-ass Jones really is here, in this damned city? Huh. To be perfectly fucking honest, Phoenix had originally thought that Jones is too...prideful, so to speak, to lurk around in a city where there aren’t any heroes to kick his ass—he’s a fucking freak, after all. But, turns out those wimpy "villains" they interrogated a few days back had been telling the truth...

...good, that smell of piss was fucking awful.

But alas, now is not the time to reminisce on that one villain that did a weewee from his peepee. Nodding at Zodiac’s offer, Phoenix begins to step backwards, before he hesitates; turning his cranium, Phoenix stares ahead at the victim of all of this, a frown tugging at his lips. They’re still fucking petrified as if all hell broke lose but hey, at least they’re safe, right? Damn right.

Well...grabbing the victim’s hands, Phoenix scans over their arms, before flipping them over so their palms face the night sky. Silently—and surprisingly a little gingerly—does Phoenix check over their frame, making sure no visible cuts or bruises exist, before backing away diligently yet briskly.

With one arm does he grab each of the muggers, slinging their unconcious bodies over both of his shoulders; they’re not a heavy weight really, but Phoenix can’t help but fidget a little at how close they are to his face.

if they fucking wake up, his mind hisses, i’ll kick their asses so fucking hard they won’t be able to remember a damn thing.

Which...isn’t a stretch, to say the least. Anyways, once he’s ready, Phoenix nods curtly in Zodiac’s direction before setting off into a sprint, zooming away from the crime scene.

Offline darky

• They/Them
  • A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' second year! Art by Hootowls. A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' first year! Art by Hootowls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 05:42:19 PM »
Phoenix's lack of a response wasn't unusual; Zodiac guessed they'd tuned out most of what he'd said anyways. Whatever, so long as things got done he could handle not being listened to ninety percent of the time.

He focused on the paper in his hands as Phoenix turned to the victim, checking their frame for injuries. Jones was here in the city, and apparently had minions running around doing chores for him; they might've bitten off more than they could chew, honestly.

Once he looked up after being lost in thought for a few moments, Phoenix was slinging the muggers over his shoulders and bolting off. Zodiac returned Phoenix's nod with a nod of his own and a thumbs-up before his companion took off to go turn in the criminals.

"Hey erm, you gotta pen and something to write on?" Zodiac asked, looking at the stranger. The man nodded slowly and pulled out a scrap of paper and a pen from his bag and handed them to Zodiac. Zodiac pressed the paper against the wall of the building and scribbled a number and his name before handing it back.

"Just in case you get in trouble again, just give me a call alright?" Zodiac said awkwardly, smiling nervously. The man tilted his head, calculating, but put the paper and pen back into his bag and nodded.

"Alright I'll, uh, see you around." The stranger said before trotting off. Zodiac watched him go, and waited a couple minutes before walking out of the alleyway himself. He made his way back to the hotel across the street and started the annoying process of climbing back up to the window.

An hour later, he'd been sitting in the hotel room fiddling with his phone for quite a while. He had it so they'd be able to track the signal of whoever he called, so now all he had to do was wait for Phoenix to burst in and impatiently ask him what was taking so long.
characters ++ staff ;p

Offline PHOENIX

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 06:32:37 PM »
Getting things done efficiently is something Phoenix is keen on; the world is a violent, violent place, and is also rather rapid and swift in development. If a hero decides to spend the entire night fussing over one mugging incident, they could very easily be unable to thwart a bank robbery in time, or a bombing—hell, the thought of that alone makes Phoenix run faster, no matter the extra weight on his shoulders.

He supposes that sometimes he can be a bit of a...resolute hero, but not always in the admirable way. Truth be told, solving crime is something Phoenix feels content in at the end, as if a heavy burden has been lifted off of him; his heart can rest a little easily knowing that there’ll be people out there who won’t get mugged in an alleyway, who won’t get shot in a robbery, and...well..?

the world always has villains, he’s brutally reminded, and soon enough whatever butterflies he had been sensing in his chest were swatted away. focus on the fucking present, Brendan.

★  ★  ★

Phoenix is already a little behind schedule by the time he scales up the hotel, using fire escapes as a way to help him. Pausing at the window, he peers inside for a moment, eyes squinting to look past his mask before he slides the window upwards; rolling—yes, actually somersaulting—into the room, Phoenix brushes off his armor and nearly slams the window back down (luckily enough, he stops himself near the end so no extremely loud noises are produced).

Releasing an exasperated sigh, Brendan doesn’t even bother with waving to Leon as he rips off his mask, throwing it onto a dresser. Pursing his lips together, he proceeds to take off his armor piece by piece, part by part, while also taking the chance to stretch out his limbs at the same time. Once he’s only wearing a white tank top and black shorts, he promptly crosses his arms and turns to face Leon.

He sees the phone in his comrade’s hand, along with the note beside it. Tilting his head, Brendan motions towards it with one hand, his other hand falling to his hip.

"did you call it yet?" he flatly questions, being sure to keep his voice down.

Offline darky

• They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2018, 10:37:40 AM »
He winced as Phoenix jumped into the room rather flamboyantly, rolling his eyes at his companion's insistence for theatrics even when it was just them. He turned his gaze towards the wall as Brendan started taking off his armor, not willing to risk the even the notion that he was comfortable with it.

He turns back to face Brendan when he heard his question, and shook his head no. He wasn't so rude as to call it without first waiting for Brendan to get back, even if the thought did cross his mind a couple times while he waited.

"Nah, I figured you'd want to be here." Leon answered before making a motion towards the abandoned armor. "I guess we're not running straight out when we call 'em?" Leon asked. He was still in costume himself, mainly because he never knew when Phoenix was going to randomly drag him out for crime fighting.
characters ++ staff ;p

Offline PHOENIX

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 01:02:45 PM »
Being in a mask that hides your identity can really change someone—Brendan and/or Phoenix is a large example of this. Normally, Brendan doesn’t find himself as the flamboyant fucker Phoenix acts; Brendan is more natural, preferring to stay a little more realistic so he doesn’t pull a risky-ass stunt and get himself exposed with a quick snap! of a camera.

Shifting his feet around, Brendan keeps his hands on his hips, his expression softening at Leon’s comment—of course. Brendan wouldn’t say it out loud but yes, he thinks that it’s probably for the best that Brendan’s around when Leon calls...maybe. Eyes flicking towards the window, Brendan releases a huff before promptly closing it and drawing the blinds.

"it’s a cautionary thing," he answers simply (and flatly) at Leon’s question. "I might want to head out later."

"Might" as in he most likely will, unless the phone number happens to be nothing but a phony code for nothing. (God, the idea of that just makes Brendan scowl as he plops himself down on his bed, looking at Leon with slightly narrowed eyes.)

Offline darky

• They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 02:36:47 PM »
Cautionary thing, as if someone was going to suddenly break down their door; hell, the were being more suspicious by climbing in and out of the window in full costume. Eh, whatever, Leon didn't really have much of a secret identity to hide considering he'd gotten arrested who-knows how many times.

"Suit yourself." Leon said with a shrug. He started to put the number in after double-checking that he had his tracker working. With bated breath, he called the number and quickly put it onto speaker phone.

"Jerry-?" A crackling voice spoke out, and Leon grinned with excitement. "Wh -- The fuck -- How --" The sound kept breaking up, much to Leon's dismay; he knew it wasn't coming from his phone, so it must be interference from somewhere else.

"Wrong number, sorry!" Leon chirped and hung up; he didn't want to interrogate the guy and make him suspicious after all, and he already had enough information to go off of. He turned to Brendan and gave a little thumbs-up.

"Got it! Bit of interference, but otherwise I've got the general location." Leon said proudly.
characters ++ staff ;p

Offline PHOENIX

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 06:38:48 AM »
Unlike Leon—who is possibly as equally popular and known as his fucking vigilante counterpart, all due to getting arrested (by Phoenix himself) over ten million/billion/trillion times—Brendan prefers to keep his secret identity nothing more than a secret to the public. It keeps him safe, it keeps his remaining family members safe, and it’s nice not to be drowning by the hands of deranged fangirls/boys/what-the-fuck-ever...

...but clearly, in this duo, it’s just him that feels that way; and I don’t give a fucking damn about it.

As Leon presses the "call" button, Brendan holds in his breath, muscles and joints tensing as he grips his hands onto his knees; a crackling noise sounds, and with a bit of a silenced growl, Brendan scowls at the phone as a nimble voice speaks. He lifts his hands—almost as if the voice will pop out of the damn phone itself—but chooses to lower them.

he sounds like a fucking coward, he silently snarls (in sign language) to Leon, gritting his teeth as the voice on the phone gets drowned by Leon’s own.

Once the call ends, Brendan hesitates a little, his glare and scowl alike tightening to the point where it feels like his mouth would stretch off of his face.

"I hope to fucking god they didn’t have a damn tracker," Brendan both spits and mutters, Crossing his arms and legs. He pauses once more, before looking towards his armor. "wanna head out, or no?"

Offline darky

• They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 07:36:51 PM »
"They probably wouldn't. Hopefully. Let's just go with no until we're given evidence otherwise." Leon chattered, standing up and stretching with a yawn. He hadn't gotten much sleep on the trip here, and was starting to get a bit tired; still, he could keep going, he'd worked more awful hours than these.

"Yeah sure, why not?" Leon shrugged noncommittally. "Might as well get it over with as quickly as possible." He added; maybe if they bagged their target quickly, Brendan might actually relax and they could enjoy the rest of their trip. He was dreaming a bit there, but he was allowed to hope.

"We taking him alive or nah?" Leon asked, tilting his head curiously; he wasn't really inclined to kill, but he was fine with doing the final blow himself if Brendan wanted to keep the blood off his hands. "Oh, and get changed in the bathroom this time you maniac."
characters ++ staff ;p

Offline PHOENIX

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 08:11:07 PM »
Leon’s straightforward answer doesn’t soften Brendan at all—in fact, he finds himself tensing a little more, his glare growing sharper. Holding his tongue, he rolls his eyes, releasing a small hmph.

yes, because fucking assuming things will automatically make us ten fucking times safer; yes, clearly.

But alas, Leon moves on to a different subject, and Brendan can’t help but shift around a bit. Okay—so they’re going out again. It isn’t too late, he thinks, soooo...they have time. Nodding, he lifts himself to his feet, opening his mouth at Leon’s next question but not releasing any notable sound or vowel; hesitating, he looks at his comrade, before over at his suitcase.

"depends," he curtly—and almost dismissively—answers, briskly stalking to his armor to yank the pieces off of the carpet. "I have a couple knives in my suitcase—one’s a pocket. Take it if you want, I don’t give a shit."

With that, he shoulders past Leon and towards the bathroom, already slipping on the jumpsuit (or as one might affectionately refer to it as a fucking onesie) as he does so; truth be told, he doesn’t give a damn about Leon’s wishes for "privacy". Hell, Brendan’s already wearing a fucking tank top and shorts, it’s not like he’s showing off his ass to the world, but...what-the-fuck-ever.

Once he’s ready, Brendan—or perhaps now Phoenix—steps out of the bathroom before reaching into his suitcase and pulling out a knife nonchalantly; He doesn’t grab the pocket knife, as the idea of bringing a smaller weapon to a big "badass" criminal almost makes his stomach twist in a knot. Anyways, Slipping his knife into a sheath on his waist, Brendan grabs hold of his staff and places it in its holder on his back.

ready? he signs towards Leon, but without any sign of waiting, Phoenix hastily stalks towards the window and slipping out into the inky-black world.

Offline darky

• They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2018, 02:44:43 PM »
Leon's meek wishes for privacy were.. Well, he just liked it okay; despite the importance he felt for his partner, he still wasn't exactly comfortable around him. He could posture all he liked, but the air of unease still clung to him like tar.

"How'd you get it through customs? You know what, I don't need to know." Leon rambled, moving to go grab the knife from Brendan's suitcase. When he was finished rummaging through Brendan's stuff, he looked up to see Phoenix signing to him. He nodded, ready to get moving.

He waited until Phoenix climbed out the window before climbing out himself, his path down a bit quicker now that he was more familiar with the building. Safely on the ground, he took a minute to check the coordinates on his phone to make sure they were heading in the right direction.

"Alright, follow me." Zodiac said proudly before trotting off down the street; the guy was on the other side of town, so he didn't want to sprint and get tired after a few miles.
characters ++ staff ;p

Offline PHOENIX

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2018, 06:54:47 PM »
Privacy is something Brendan worships on and off, like a wavering religious person on the border; he appreciates privacy—hell, a shit-ton more than appreciates—but sometimes it needs to be thrown out the window and into the garbage. A bright and clear example is with the hero workforce: if you want to be a hero, then for fuck’s sake, grow the fuck up and get over the idea of a dude in a tank top and shorts...

...but maybe Brendan’s being too hard— hell no.

As Zodiac lands beside him after their flight downwards, Phoenix rolls his shoulders, seasoned muscles flexing nonchalantly as his comrade begins to lead the way. Speed-walking after the green-suited man, Phoenix feels his fingers twitch and shift around in finicky manner, and with a roll of his eyes, he attempts to lightly-but-not-too-lightly push Zodiac forward.

hurry the fuck up, he curtly signs, not giving a flying damn if Zodiac reads his hands or not.

It takes a while (well, it felt like fucking centuries to Phoenix), but finally the two manage to reach an area where yes, villains definitely reside here; shoving a hand in front of Zodiac to prevent him from moving any further, Phoenix silently steps in front of him, straining his ears carefully. He——can’t hear anything too identifiable, but there’s hushed voices whispering, and they’re all coming from behind a dark gray door, hidden behind stacks of tan cargo boxes that border either side of the door.

Exhaling softly, Phoenix cracks his knuckles, before reaching one hand out and slamming his fist against the damn door. For a brief moment there’s nothing, but Phoenix can’t help but tense upon noticing that the whispering noises have faded away. Then—the door creaks and squeaks on rusty hinges, and a figure slowly pulls the metal open.

With a swift crack!, Phoenix sends his leg flying into the side of the man’s skull; immediately does the fiend crumple to the floor, unmoving. Phoenix can’t help but scoff at the figure before motioning towards Zodiac to follow and, without even waiting for any form of response, he charges in.

Offline darky

• They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2018, 03:16:21 PM »
Phoenix knocks on the door - Really? Instead of kicking it down? - and a figure opens it, only to be met with a swift kick to the head. The man crumbles into a lump on the ground and Phoenix motions for Zodiac to follow him before he charges in.

He jumps over the unconscious man's body to survey the room; dark, dingy, kinda damp and about five people all milling around, two of them paralyzed like deer in the headlights as Phoenix and Zodiac stepped in.

Zodiac only takes a second to survey before he picks his target; he charges at the one that looks most ready to bolt and with a loud crack slams his leg into the man's side, causing him to let out a scream of pain and stumble back, clearly not ready for a fight.
characters ++ staff ;p

Offline PHOENIX

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2018, 12:24:48 PM »
One might call Phoenix a man of surprises, really—He’s the type of hero to do whatever it fucking takes to pull a surprise on the enemy...for justified reasons, of course. (Well, he thinks they’re justified.) But—

I don’t fucking need to justify myself and shit.

As Phoenix hurried into the building—all while stepping onto the unconscious body—he grits his teeth, glowering at the group of people; he can see their "deer in the headlights" expression, and——well, he wouldn’t be surprised if one of them managed to piss their own goddamn pants. (He also wouldn’t be surprised if one of them can recognize Phoenix and/or zodiac, too.)

As Zodiac charges one of the villains, Phoenix flexes his muscles, glaring sharpened daggers at the remaining four goons; whipping out his staff, he one-handed springs on over to the pile of dumbasses, and swiftly slams the butt of his staff into one’s chin as the others scramble the hell away once he’s close enough. The scream from the other simpleton doesn’t even make Phoenix twitch, but the one he’s facing frantically whips his head to stare at the yeller.

shitty-ass mistake, fucker.

Drawing his staff back, Phoenix slashes it against the man’s cheek, blood spurting out of his lips as he’s forced to stare back at Phoenix; without hesitance, Phoenix bends backwards and slams his foot upwards.

Crrrack!

The man he’s facing lets out a muffled Yelp as Phoenix’s heel plows into the man’s chin. drawing his foot back, Phoenix strikes several times with his foot at the damned goon’s chest; however, before the villain can fall back, Phoenix grabs the collar of his shirt and yanks him forward, his palm crashing into the goon’s face. Nonchalantly dropping the man, Phoenix watches him Ashe collapses like a sloppy stack of jenga blocks to the dingy concrete floor.

Snorting, he snaps his attention elsewhere: Zodiac. A fucking shit-face looms over his back, wielding a dagger in their hand.

shit—

Swiftly Storming over, Phoenix does a quick twirl before his foot barrels into the man’s head, forcing him to the ground without any form of resistance. Hopping into a fighting stance, Phoenix twirls his staff in his hand, hues sharply scouting over the premises to find the other future opponents he and Zodiac have to face.