Author Topic: HALLELUJAH - private w/ Hoot  (Read 1279 times)

Offline darky

• They/Them
  • A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' first year! Art by Hootowls.
    • View Profile
Re: HALLELUJAH - private w/ Hoot
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2018, 01:34:36 PM »
YOU'VE GOT A HEART-SHAPED HOLE IN YOUR CHEST
Zodiac didn't watch as Phoenix fought, instead he focused on the man in front of him; he threw a left hook, catching the guy's cheek and it let out an audible crack as the man fell, off balance, to the ground. Zodiac hopped and used his other leg to kick the man's head as he tried to scramble up.

The man dropped to the ground, unconscious or potentially dead; he might've gone a bit overboard on that last kick. Oh well, Phoenix hadn't told him that they shouldn't kill. He turned just in time to see a knife-wielding villain looming over him, and in a second Phoenix was on him and kicking him into the ground.

Zodiac knelt quickly and grabbed the dagger from the man's hands before jumping up again and surveying the room. There seemed to only be one more person in the room, who had rooted his stance and was waiting for their approach.

He tilted his head at the villain, quietly calculating Phoenix's next move; it might be fun to take this guy down in tandem, but it wasn't as if they could stop and strategize. He darted forward, dipping low to stab the stolen dagger into the man's leg to knock off his balance while Phoenix went for a higher blow.
I need to save you, but who's going to save me?
characters ++ staff ;p

Offline BRENDAN C.

• au account —★ @hootowls
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2018, 01:00:11 PM »
the idea of killing villains is something Phoenix doesn’t entirely endorse; at times, people do not deserve to die, no matter if they’re a villain or not. But—if the villain is horrible to no end, a killer that won’t ever stop, well...? Phoenix would kill them, with little to no hesitation depending on the severity of their crimes.

Icy blue Hues descending onto the last villain remaining, Phoenix exhales sharply and tightens his frown, muscles flexing as he sizes them up. As he takes a quick second to examine their sloppy-ass fucking excuse of a goddamn fighting stance, he can’t help but snort in amusement—sheesh, aren’t they a fucking dumbass?

holy fuck i’m gonna kick their ass.

But Zodiac enhances on them first, swiftly plunging the knife into the fiend’s leg; shoving his staff back into its holder, Phoenix follows after Zodiac, fists drawing back. With as much mercy as the devil itself, Phoenix proceeds to slam his fists into the goon’s chest multiple times in a row, before effortlessly shifting into his own—proper—fighting stance.

With a muffled grunt, he flips backwards, the top of his shoes slamming into the goon’s chin; landing in a handstand, he flips backwards once more, dropping into yet another fighting stance—The villain is definitely unconscious, lying in a scribbled attempt of a straight line. Releasing a tiny "hmph," Phoenix lowers his fists, growling...uh, horrible curses under his breath.

we gotta hurry, he briskly signs to Zodiac, shouldering past him and promptly stepping over the villain to head for the hallway.

Jones probably fucking heard us.

Offline darky

• They/Them
  • A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' first year! Art by Hootowls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2018, 01:32:32 PM »
Zodiac leans back, prepared to go in for another blow just before he notices Phoenix's flip and subsequent kick to the goon's chin. Zodiac darts backwards, not wanting to get in the middle of the display as Phoenix continues flipping around the room and stops while growling profanities under his breath.

"Yeah- We should, uh, get moving before he can think up a plan." Zodiac said, trailing behind Phoenix awkwardly as they pushed forth into the villain's base. The hallway had three closed doors and a flickering lightbulb hanging by chain to light things; Zodiac checked the first door, which was locked, and so was the second and third.

You hit the end, I'll hit the first and if we come up empty we move to the middle. Zodiac signed quickly to Phoenix, not wanting to vocalize his plan to whoever might be behind the doors.

With a deep breath, he kicked down his door with on swift, fluid motion and immediately darted inside.
characters ++ staff ;p

Offline BRENDAN C.

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2018, 09:39:53 AM »
Pausing at the three doors, Phoenix’s glare sharpens, his arms crossing as Zodiac takes the time to see if any doors are unlocked——the answer is no, of fucking course. Rolling his eyes, he storms on over to the door he has been assigned to; unlike the other two doors, it’s a little clean, but still fucking disgusting and poorly taken care of. Ugh.

Drawing his foot back while raising his knee, Phoenix propels it outward, knocking the door to the floor in one swift motion (accompanied by a muffled yell because: fuck, I can’t fucking kihap here.). Effortlessly but briskly Cartwheeling into the room, Phoenix lands in a fighting stance, fists raised and teeth bared as he glOWERS at the people—well, person—inside.

The person is seated on a Jet Black (with hints of rusty red) skinny-chair in front of a desk, feet raised onto the surface in front of him; upon seeing Phoenix, he jolts upward, scrambling to his feet as he reaches for a weapon. Darting forwards, Phoenix lashes out with his hands, striking the man’s wrist and causing his hand to bounce away from his belt.

(( this part gets gross bc Phoenix breaks bones ))
Clenching his own hand around the villain’s, Phoenix opens up his fist, drawing his arm back—snnap! The goon screams out in agony as his elbow bone cracks, and as Phoenix locks his arms around said elbow, he proceeds to yank it in the wrong direction, sounding a crack! from the man’s shoulder accompanied by yet another scream. With a snort, the superhero grabs the villain’s neck and pummels his face into Phoenix’s knee; dropping the now-unconscious fiend onto the ground, he scans the premises.

Stomping on over to the desk, Phoenix yanks open the large drawer, pursing his lips as he notices two packages of paper; grabbing them both, he carefully pries them out of the drawer, stacking them on top of each other as he vigorously flips through the pages.

holy fucking hell.

There’s fucking horrible-ass shit listed everywhere: plans on who to kidnap and where, human trafficking bullshit, types of children needed

i’m gonna fucking rip this man into pieces.

(( kihap is the shout tkd peeps do when kicking ))

Offline darky

• They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2018, 11:39:15 AM »
Darting inside, he was met with darkness, the only light being that of the lightbulb from the hallway. He looked up, eyes immediately locking onto a standing man, who was raising a weapon to point at Zodiac.

He leapt aside and a shot fired off, the bullet hitting the concrete floor as he managed to dodge it. He charged forward as the man fumbled and struck out with his fist, connecting it with the villain's neck and knocking the breath out of him.

The man stumbled back, choking, but Zodiac didn't let up; he jumped back, giving himself just enough to drop into a crouch and strike out with one leg to topple the man to the ground. He was immediately upon the villain, arm going to the knife Phoenix had given him at the start of the trip; he stabbed the blade into the villain's throat, and the man gurgled and struggled but Zodiac held him down.

(Tw for human trafficking beyond this point)
It didn't take long until the man stopped struggling and Zodiac stood up, not bothering to retrieve the knife. He looked around, eyes now adjusted to the dim light and he saw... Kids, gagged and blindfolded, some of them as small as toddlers.

He wanted to kill that guard a second time. A third time. A billion times he wanted to kill that fucking guard and it'd never be enough.

"Phoenix! Get in here now!" Zodiac yelled out the door, voice urgent and a bit panicked. He turned to the kids and immediately started to untie them, murmuring soft words of comfort as he did so.

"My name is Zodiac, okay guys? And my partner's name is Phoenix. We're superheroes and we're here to bring you back to your families, okay? Nobody's going to hurt you anymore." He murmured gently, hands still shaking from anger. He knew Jones did some fucked up shit but this- This was too much.
characters ++ staff ;p

Offline BRENDAN C.

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2018, 05:52:07 PM »
The loud gunshot accompanied by a whish of metal ricocheting against concrete causes Phoenix to whip his head towards the door, his grip tightening on the papers. He expects to hear something—anything—to alert him that his friend is hurt, but...there’s nothing. Swallowing a lump in his throat, he shifts his feet around, hues falling back to the white papers.

goddamn.

In a fucking twisted and horrid sort of way, it’s almost hilarious as to how much information is in these goddamn packets; there’s notes about where former human trafficking victims are located, what times Jones is active at night and prowling around, and—hell, there’s even info on the fucking kind of trucks the goons have to use to transport humans. Careful not to crinkle the pages too much, Phoenix snorts as he reaches to fumble around for more papers in the drawer, but a loud yell cuts him off abruptly, causing his fingers to jolt back as his head whips back to the door.

shit, shit, shit—

With no hesitation, Phoenix slams the drawer closed and bolts towards the room Zodiac is in, his movement almost like a blur as he does so. Whipping out his staff, he stumbles to a halt in the doorway, raising it just a little as he expects to have knives thrown his way, but——there’s nothing. Instead there’s fucking children all gagged and tied up, and—

what the actual hell. is all Phoenix can think as he softens his features, mouth gaping a little in shock as he stares at the trembling and sniffling toddlers. i swear to fucking god I’m going to fucking murder Jones—

In an attempt to swallow down boiling anger, Phoenix exhales slowly, putting his staff back in its place as he carefully picks his way to the kids; despite the dark and grim lighting, he can tell that apprehensively shift their heads and bunch their shoulders as the hero approaches, and in turn does he only purse his lips, shoulders drooping. Crouching down in front of one of the sobbing kiddos, he takes the time to reach out while Zodiac finishes untying the rest.

"hey, it’s—it’s okay," he gently murmurs, movements ginger as he moves to wrap his arms around the kid; Pulling them in closer, he places one hand on the back of their head, nonchalantly ruffling golden hair as they grip at him. "you’re okay, don’t worry—zodiac and I are here, okay? We’re gonna help you guys."

Slowly lifting his gaze, he lands his feathery hues on the band of children and teens alike, a heavy stone dropping in his chest. There’s—there’s so fucking many, and goddammit, Phoenix’s muscles itch to go out and fucking slaughter Jones—

not now, there’s fucking kids here. his mind pauses for a bit as the kid gripping onto him grips tighter, their sobs slowing down by the second as Phoenix proceeds to lightly pat their back. ...kids who had the chance of never seeing their families again.

Shoving away memories that flash back in his mind, Phoenix scoots closer to a group of children who nervously pick at their dirty and cut-up shirts as they gawk up at him; forcing a smile to mask raw anger and shock, he opens his mouth:

"hey, do you guys have any pets? What are they like?" he delicately questions, tilting his head a little.

There’s no response for quite a few dreadful moments, but then: "...a dog."

"a dog? Aa-aaww, dogs are cute. What kind is it?"

It goes on like this for a while longer: Phoenix hugging kids, attempting to comfort them by distracting them with talk of animals, chickens, ice cream...anything to get their mind off of the piles of traumatic shit they had to go through, just for a while. Faintly Kissing a three-year-old’s forehead, he wipes away the tears on her cheeks as she talks about Edward, the tuxedo cat she has back at her home in some far off city.

"don’t worry, Edward will be so happy to see you again," he soothes her, bringing her in for a quick hug, "he loves you a lot and, when you’re home, you can play with those toys you mentioned." As the kiddo draws back, phoenix brings his gaze on over to Zodiac, signing briskly bUT clearly: we still have to take down Jones...what will we do with all these kids?

Offline darky

• They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2018, 06:21:35 PM »
Phoenix's presence lifted a weight off of Zodiac's shoulders he didn't realize he'd been carrying; Phoenix was good with kids, he'd make sure these children were safe and taken care of and Zodiac didn't have to desperately fumble while trying to reassure them.

He finished untying the last of the kids, murmuring soft words of encouragement as Phoenix tried to keep them talking. He glanced around, noticing a dirty tarp that was laying near some of the kids but was currently abandoned; he didn't want to imagine these kids, gagged and tied up with nothing but a fucking tarp to keep them warm...

He grabbed the tarp and threw it over the dead guard's body, not wanting to let it sit around and traumatize the kids more than necessary. He looked back down at Phoenix just to see his partner sign to him, and he rubbed the bridge of his nose with a sigh before signing back. We need to take care of these kids first, Jones has probably ran by now. Keep all the kids here and call the authorities, I'll check the other room and then take care of the bodies in the entrance.

True to his word, he quietly exited the room after signing to Phoenix and went towards the middle door. With a swift kick the door let out a loud crack and fell, and revealed a bedroom. He let out a quiet snarl under his breath as in the center of the opposite wall there was an open window, curtains fluttering as it let in a small breeze.

Muttering curses under his breath, he trotted to the window and peeked out into the alleyway; no sign of where Jones had escaped off to, at least at a quick glance. Zodiac turned and observed the room, noting that the drawers from the dresser were thrown open and clothes and papers were scattered everywhere.

"Left in a hurry, probably took everything of immediate importance." Zodiac monologued under his breath. "Might've left some clues in the rush; I'll have to examine things further." He said, before carefully picking his way over the scattered items and headed back into the entrance room.

"Urgh, cleanup. Always hated that part of the job." Zodiac said as he started moving the unconscious bodies and corpse into a small heap in the corner, not bothering to differentiate between the two types. Bodies successfully... Piled, he then turned to trot back to where Phoenix and the kids were.

"Everything's clear, we're good to get going whenever the cops get here." Zodiac called softly as he peeked his head in.
characters ++ staff ;p

Offline BRENDAN C.

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2018, 03:36:44 PM »
Kids are something that Phoenix can say he became a superhero for, and——well, he wouldn’t be lying entirely. He feels uneasy when admitting, but...hell, he had fucking started this shit—at seventeen, might one add—to get revenge on a couple of jackasses that happened to ruin his life when he was younger. But now? Well, he’s stuck in this goddamn career, isn’t he?

And at this rate, he might as well say that yeah, it is for the kids; he can feel his throat clog up at the idea of a child—a fucking child—going through the shit he dealt with when he was just a preteen himself. Anyways—as Phoenix ruffles one of the children’s hair and throws an attempt at a reassuring smile in their direction, he silently brings his gaze on over to Zodiac, studying his hands before nodding.

yes, have the fucking sign language dude be the one that fucking calls the damn cops, his brain bitterly snarls as he reaches his hand out.

Zodiac’s Phone now in hand, he backs away from the kids for a hot second, frown tightening as he swipes up the screen and lands on a texting screen for 911; His message to them is quick and straight to the point, giving them basic details on what’s going on, with the address listed at the end (of fucking course). As he sets the phone down onto the floor, he glances back at Zodiac as he transports the goddamn corpse elsewhere, only for his gaze to fall back to the kids as one of them clings onto his hand.

Gingerly wrapping his hand around theirs, Phoenix allows a smile to lace onto his lips, said lips parting as he readies himself to speak; "hey, it’s alright," he speaks, voice low and admittedly husky but still calming to an extent. "the cops are gonna be here soon, okay? Then you’ll get to see your families and cute pets again, right?" wrapping an arm around one kid that reached for a hug, he leans back a little. "hey—does anyone else have pets I didn’t get to hear about?"

After what feels like a goddamn century, Brendan and Leon are finally back in their hotel room, leaving the cops to handle the rest of the——situation with those poor kids. Seated crisscross-applesauce on his bed after his armor has been stored away, Brendan leans forward, elbows resting on his knees and palm supporting cheek as his eyes glower at the wall; he knows he should be sleeping right now, but—fuck.

"shit, I hope those kids are okay," he mumbles, mostly to himself but audible enough for Leon to hear. Straightening his posture, he rests his arm. "...I’m going to fucking murder that man," he then spits, fuel boiling in his stomach, "how fucking dare he do that—that kind of shit."

Offline darky

• They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2018, 06:22:34 PM »
Sitting on his bed, Leon poured over the papers Brendan had managed to acquire from the scene before they left; it was a bunch of locations, numbers, orders, things that made his blood boil and required him to occasionally set the stack of papers down and stare at the ceiling for a while until he calmed down.

He was currently laying back, staring at the ceiling as he tried to not see red. He mumbled incomprehensibly what sounded like agreement as Brendan talked, the fire burning in Leon's stomach subdued but still singeing his thoughts.

"He's the worse kind of person- The kind of guy I fucked despised working with when I was a villain." Leon spat, sitting up to blearily look at the papers on the end of the bed. "What I got from these is that he's got about two hundred or so - I know you're going to yell at me for not giving an exact and the reason is the numbers don't fucking add up on these - still in his clutches, circulating around the city. We should split up tomorrow and scout out some of the locations he listed." Leon rambled, rubbing his forehead as a headache started to build behind his temples.

"He's gonna have everybody on high alert; no attacking unless we're together." Leon continued, before flopping back onto the pillows. "First things first though, we need some sleep sooo, good night."
characters ++ staff ;p

Offline BRENDAN C.

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2018, 01:18:31 PM »
Curtly nodding, Phoenix tightens his frown, eyed narrowing into tiny daggers as he stares down at the carpeted floor. Like Leon, a fire burns in his stomach, one that’s——that’s fucking hotter than hell itself. His fists repeatedly clench and unclench, and as Leon continues rambling—nonstop rambling—he feels his muscles scream to punch through someone’s goddamn throat.

hopefully I can do that tomorrow, he silently hisses, standing up to karate chop the light switch off (thank fucking god he didn’t break the damn thing).

Moving to Leon’s bed, Brendan swipes the stack of papers off of the blanket, and pauses for a split heartbeat as he glowers down at it, teeth bared; his hands itch to tear the fucking piece of shit into pieces, as if getting rid of the papers would get rid of all this pent up rage to kick the shit out of people, and possibly the goddamn crimes this man—fucking Jones—committed.

Carelessly tossing the papers onto a nightstand, Brendan emits a blunt exhale from his lips, standing in the inky darkness for a few moments longer before plopping back down onto his bed; Pulling the comforter over his frame, he lays on his back, staring up at the ceiling helplessly.

i want to get the hell out of here, bUT he knows he can’t—Leon would be so fucking pissed. but fuck...how many of those kids does Jones even fucking have?

Bolting upright, Brendan sharls, every cell in his body trembling with an urge to kill. He’s about to hop out of the bed to suit up, until he hesitates—leon.

god-fucking-dammit.

He can’t—he fucking can’t—and for fucks sake he——he just...goddammit. Lying back down, he shifts around uncomfortably, lying on his side as he stares out at the wall; he doesn’t want to fucking sleep, of all things, but soon enough the darkness that surrounds him like a comforter bedgrudingly drags him to sleep.

"rise and shine," Brendan growls to Leon, using one leg to attempt to prod at his friend’s sleeping body. "I wanna hurry up and get breakfast—they’re serving some."

He doesn’t say it, but he only wants to rapidly scurry through breakfast and whatnot is just so he can head back out and hunt down jones—they have a ton of shit ahead of them, and goddammit, they’re going to fucking kill jones by the end of this week, Brendan will make sure of that.

Making sure his jeans are tightened, Brendan crosses his arms, waiting for Leon.