Author Topic: The Young Rogues MILES AND MILES OF JAGGED LINES - open  (Read 155 times)

Offline Russel S.

• ➳public menace
  • played by: darky
    • He/Him
    • View Profile
MILES AND MILES OF JAGGED LINES - open
« on: September 13, 2018, 12:44:37 PM »
I'M TRYING TO FIND THAT PEACE OF MIND・゚*:・゚✧*:・゚
//tw: Referenced murder (both a murder in someone's history and the act of Russel killing someone)

Brush in hand, Russel ran his hands over Cedric's flank; the horse stood stiffly, occasionally turning his head to sniff at Russel's face before he went back to posing nicely so Russel could brush out the burrs and knots from his mane.

"I dig ítil my shovel tells a secret, swear to the earth that I will keep it, brush off the dirt, and let my change of heart occur," Russel sung softly under his breath as he continued, knowing that the quiet talking calmed the normally nervous horse down. He didn't really give much of a shit about other people, but Cedric? His noble steed? It was... Difficult to not bond with him.

"Sold soon after the appraisal, the hammer struck the auction table, louder than anything Iíve ever heard," The next verse came easily; he remembered a kind man who'd make them both tea and sing to him and talk to him about how the world was before the blackout. That man had killed his own grandfather, so him and Russel were figuratively peas in a pod.

"Fault lines tremble underneath my glass house, but I put it out of my mind, long enough to call it courage, to live without a lifeline," Russel had met many interesting people before he joined the Rogues; but tight-lipped as he kept his past, he doubted he'd ever bring them up to anybody in conversation. So many of them were adults as well, and the Rogues hated adults and adult-sympathizers. Russel was pretty sure he hated adults too, probably.

"I bend the definition, of faith to exonerate my blind eye, ítil the sirens sound, Iím safe," That man had been interesting; he said he'd come from a place across the sea, a country Russel forgot the name of. He was a healer by nature, and had said he was training to become a nurse before the blackout. He'd be there when Russel inevitably got into fights and got himself injured.

"Meanwhile, my familyís taking shelter, the sparks send the fire down the wire, a countdown begins, until the dynamite gives in," Russel would definitely call the man the closest thing to family he'd had, but that man was long since dead. The guilt of his grandfather's murder had rotted his mind, and he'd begged Russel to put an end to him.

"The echo, as wide as the equator, travels through a world of built up anger, too late to pull itself together now," Russel had complied, of course; it'd been easy, taking a knife from his kitchen and stabbing him in the gut. As the light had faded from his eyes, Russel could bittersweetly say the man had finally found peace.

"Fault lines tremble underneath our glass house, but I put it out of my mind, long enough to call it courage, to live without a lifeline," Russel's steady voice rose slightly for the chorus, and Cedric stomped his hooves impatiently, eager to be finished with the grooming. Russel made a mental note to take Cedric out for a ride that day; he didn't want Cedric to get too antsy trapped in this backyard.

"I bend the definition, of faith to exonerate my blind eye, ítil the sirens sound, Iím safe," The chorus continued, and Russel gently brushed out a knot in Cedric's mane. He should probably brush and cut his own hair soon; it was starting to get unruly, and Russel didn't really like that.

"There was an earthquake, there was an avalanche of change, we were so afraid, we cried ourselves a hurricane," So close to the end of the song, Russel didn't let up; the memory of the old world was terrifying and exhilarating, another reason to fuel his assumed hatred for the adults.

"There were floods, tidal waves over us, so we folded our hands and prayed, like a domino, these wildfires grow and grow, until a brand new world takes shape," Breathless Russel kept going, belting out the song quite loudly now; he didn't even pretend that he was still brushing Cedric, now he was too focused on finishing the song.

"Fault lines tremble underneath my glass house, but I put it out of my mind, long enough to call it courage, to live without a lifeline," Russel continued, even as Cedric turned and nudged him gently with his nose. Russel let out a quiet laugh and rubbed the horse's head a bit too roughly then he normally would've, but it didn't seem to bother Cedric.

"I bend the definition, of faith to exonerate my blind eye, ítil the sirens sound, I'm safe, until the sirens sound, I'm safe, until the sirens sound, I'm safe." Russel finished the song, and took a deep breath to clam himself. He gently pet Cedric one more time before undoing the harness which had been the only reason the horse had been standing there for so long.

Cedric immediately started walking away, towards a more sunlit place where he could graze in peace. Russel huffed and rolled his eyes, muttering how spoiled the horse was as he walked back towards his house. Now he needed a bath, because he smelt like horse and his clothes were covered in horse hair.

//No need to match muse if anybody decides to respond ICly, and no pressure to respond ICly!
//The song he's singing is Earth by Sleeping At Last if anybody's interested in hearing it!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 03:55:13 PM by vampyre »
REALITY BLEEDS ANSWERS
russel ;; he/him ;; 14yrs ;; busy, tag for quicker response

Offline THE YOUNG ROGUES

• Official Account for the Young Rogues
  • Managed by Pyre
    • View Profile
Re: MILES AND MILES OF JAGGED LINES - open
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 09:42:40 PM »
Gene Rickley & 16 & Medium & Attack in #191970
Gene didn't know Wesley, didn't know what his deal was or anything about him. He knew he was feuding with... half the goddamn group now, but most importantly with Angie. When the revolution came, he'd make a valuable ally. Gene would have to be an idiot not to recognize that. "Nice voice." He said, his voice honeyed. Compliments from rare and hardly ever genuine, and while he was a decent enough singer for it to not be inherently suspicious or wrong, he didn't actually mean it. "Whatcha singing?"

Ask permission for killing, capturing or maiming any of them

Offline Russel S.

• ➳public menace
    • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 01:01:51 PM »
One would think the fact that Russel was feuding with so many of his allies would be a big red flag to anybody; honestly, Russel was fine with that. It meant idiots didn't bother him as much, it meant he had some twisted amount of power within the group.

"I've never heard that before." Russel responded to the compliment sarcastically, not fully believing that anybody would willingly approach him simply to compliment his singing. He'd been called a siren sometimes before he joined the Rogues; a honey sweet voice with a dangerous predator attached, willing to drag anybody witless enough to their dooms if they listened for too long.

"The song's called Earth, dunno who originally wrote it." Russel shrugged; musicians getting proper credit for their songs didn't matter much in the apocalypse, considering the original composers were usually dead. "If you're here about Cedric, he's not for sale but he'll give you a kick in the chest for free if you try anything."
REALITY BLEEDS ANSWERS

Offline THE YOUNG ROGUES

• Managed by Pyre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 05:25:37 PM »
Perhaps, but he was looking at this as an "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" sort of situation, and if there was anyone in this group that Angie disliked more than Gene, it was Russel. Gene didn't go out of his way to antagonize her too much, waiting and biding his time and building his power, giving her no reason to take any action against him. "That's because there's nothing good to say about you." He'd tried to return the sarcasm, but it sounded meaner out loud than it did in his head. That was... really not the right tone. He coughed awkwardly. "Well, it's nice." That was better, but his face screwed up at the shift to Cedric. "No, I'm not here about the horse."

Offline Russel S.

• ➳public menace
    • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 05:21:22 PM »
Russel blinked, Gene's immediate insult taking him back a bit; he'd sort of figured Gene wasn't a heavy hitter, at least verbally, so he'd have to reevaluate things. Or he would've had to, except Gene then jumped back into compliment mode and Russel realized perhaps Gene had no fucking idea what he was doing.

"Well what are you here for, then? Or did someone dare you to come over?" Russel asked, shifting gears slightly to be a bit more demanding. If Gene was struggling or trying to beat around the bush for some reason, it made it all too easy for Russel to push a bit harder and get the other person to crumble.

Maybe that's why he usually didn't get people approaching him, because he thought stuff like that.. Eh, what could he do? Change his behavior and be approached constantly? Nah.
REALITY BLEEDS ANSWERS

Offline THE YOUNG ROGUES

• Managed by Pyre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 08:33:43 PM »
He'd take the idea that he didn't know what he was doing as an affront, no matter how true it may be. "No one is allowed to come see you because they want to talk to you, are they? There's always gotta be a scheme, or a dare? God forbid someone else not share your distaste for companionship and human connection." The sarcasm worked much better this time around.

Offline Russel S.

• ➳public menace
    • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 01:57:15 PM »
Russel huffed, rolling his eyes at Gene's snappish comment. So he was looking for companionship, conversation, an ally or perhaps a friend; weird choice, but okay. Russel really wasn't interested in any of the above, and he was surprised Gene had assumed he would be.

"Answer me this, asshole, why the fuck would you want to talk to me if you don't want something?" Russel snapped. "Gods forbid I'm suspicious of your motives, I'm not exactly the funnest person around." Russel huffed, crossing his arms and staring at the older boy.
REALITY BLEEDS ANSWERS

Offline THE YOUNG ROGUES

• Managed by Pyre
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 08:07:16 PM »
Every ally that Gene had was one that Angie didn't. He didn't think that Peter or Sarah, perhaps not Samantha either, were likely to turn on Angie without some serious convincing. He wasn't even sure Wesley would back him up, but Russel? Well, he wanted to make sure that Russel wouldn't end up fucking him over. Would he reveal that now, when the younger boy was being so hostile? No. "Look, you're new around here, and you've had the misfortune of primarily interacting with our dear leader." He'd heard Russel refer to Angie as such, so why not? "But the rest of us? Actually try to have good relationships. Most of the time. We're all we have. We don't have families, or friends outside of this place. So yeah, people will try to connect with you regardless of how fun you think you are." Ironic that he talked about how the Rogues had no one outside the group, yet he remained in close contact with his father. Not that anyone here could ever know that.