Author Topic: The Border ` ✦ ° ┊ i know you ﹙ o, joining? ﹚  (Read 110 times)

Online 𝐆𝐀𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐋

• 王子 — ❝ LITTLE PRINCE ❞
    • View Profile
` ✦ ° ┊ i know you ﹙ o, joining? ﹚
« on: October 04, 2018, 11:46:39 PM »
What was he doing here? No, really. What was he doing here?

He was but a young boy. He had nothing but the clothes on his back, a switchblade, and a canteen of water. It wasn't much, but then again, he didn't have a lot of time to pack his things before he left home.

"Home..." Gabriel thought to himself, exhaling through his nostrils as he weaved through the mountain pass. Sitting on his front porch watching the grassy fields would be nice right about now. Instead, he was rugged and sweaty and caked with dirt, walking to what he believed was the right place. If his sources had indeed pointed him in the right direction, then he had arrived at the oceanside city. The Badlands.

He held his breath, gazing upon the buildings nestled beside the ocean. The late afternoon sun cast shadows across the land and he squinted, taking in the sights of the distant horizon. It was now or never, he told himself. Either he'd go forth, or he'd come all this way or nothing. If he turned back now, he'd either die out in the wilderness or get a firm scolding from his parents.

Oh yeah, another thing: he was a teenage runaway. It had been pretty stupid of him, considering that he had a family and food and shelter back home. He was laying out all of his cards on the table this time. A risky move, as his father would say.

So, Gabriel advanced forward, albeit hesitantly. Clutching his canteen, he glanced around warily as he passed through the trees. His blade was tucked into his pocket for now, as he didn't want to be seen as a threat by the person (or persons) who would inevitably discover his presence here.

// no need to match muse!!
THEY SAY WE ARE WHAT WE ARE
❪ BUT WE DON'T HAVE TO BE . I'M BAD BEHAVIOR BUT I DO IT IN THE BEST WAY . ❫ —--—  |  GABRIEL & THE BADLANDS

Offline TYDEUS

• View Profile
Re: ` ✦ ° ┊ i know you ﹙ o, joining? ﹚
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 12:16:20 AM »
/ mentions of murder in the first paragraph, yikes tyd and it's midnight sorry if this is a mess

Teenage runaway, already something they had in common.

Now Tyd wasn't much of a teenager anymore, and he'd stopped running when he'd gotten someone's initials carved into his arm. But when he stopped, in this case, wasn't as important as when he had started. The young boy grew up in a small one bedroom downtown apartment. The place hadn't been in great condition; too crowded, too loud, furniture close to breaking. He'd tuned out shouting and bellowing so loud that the floor would quiver. Just a few years old and already at odds with the world. He'd been — what, fourteen? sixteen? when he decided that he couldn't take it anymore. Stale beer and old cigarettes had fogged up the room as someone loomed over him, and he'd reached for a kitchen knife as a hand lifted into the air to come swinging back down. The rest was history, such a messy thing. He's moved on from vomiting on the kitchen floor and staggering down the fire escape to cry against the concrete. The world keeps turning, you don't get to sit down and recover.

So, in a way, it's likely best for Gabriel that he chose not to turn around. One thing that Tydeus had learned in his lifetime was that after you left him, there was no returning. He has no urge to try for that now, at least not a yearning for the dingy old apartment in a city that quickly grew too big for him. Instead, he craves a firm hand and the same voice that would make his decisions for him. A crazy thing to miss, so he wanders out here where his troubled expression is less visible. Concrete jungles had always been more comfortable, and standing in nature makes his skin prickle even as he just glances around. When pale brown eyes fall on Gabriel — well, mission accomplished, the young man doesn't see him as a threat in the slightest. (Then again, he's several inches shorter than average and his features have been described as pretty more often than he's been called by his own name.) He knows better than to judge how threatening someone is by what they look like or carry.

"It's so unfortunate that nobody teaches classes on stranger danger these days," he hums without prelude as he steps close enough and makes enough noise to be visible. The tip of the knife he holds in one hand pressed hard against the pad of the opposite hand's thumb, twirling deeper. Unlike Gabriel, he finds things easier when there's a bit of fear thrown in the mix. As long as it reaches the right side, of course. "What are you doing here?"
ALL THE BAD LUCK IN THIS TOWN HAS FOUND ME
TYDEUS.  FORMER SLAVE.  SHARP, A LITTLE BIT BITTER. 」

Online 𝐆𝐀𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐋

• 王子 — ❝ LITTLE PRINCE ❞
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 11:42:22 PM »
Threatening . . . hah. As if anyone could even consider Gabriel a threat. He was a skinny teenager standing at 5'5" ( he was praying that he would go through a growth spurt soon and that he hadn't gotten his mother's short stature ) armed with only a mere blade and his fists. Physical strength was never his strong suit, as made obvious by his lack of muscle. And right now? He looked like a deer in headlights. He was scared out of his mind - his heart was pounding, his baby blues were fixated onto the strange man's knife. His heart was pounding.

Gabriel gulped, swallowing over a lump formed in his throat. He took one small step backward, but then he figured that he should stand his ground. Y'know, like dad always said. "I'm here to . . . I'm . . . Is this the Badlands?" The boy asked, his palms clammy and dampening with sweat. He looked the stranger in the eyes, licking his dry lips, and he continued, "I . . . I-I was wondering if . . . I could stay here." Jeez, he sounded like a salt-shaker or a maraca or something. He had always hated how he stuttered when he was nervous. "My name's Gabriel." Hopefully that would be all the information that this man needed from him.

// you're good!!
THEY SAY WE ARE WHAT WE ARE
❪ BUT WE DON'T HAVE TO BE . I'M BAD BEHAVIOR BUT I DO IT IN THE BEST WAY . ❫ —--—  |  GABRIEL & THE BADLANDS

Offline ARCHAMBEAU

• [ CASUAL-ISH ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 12:20:06 PM »
You're young, you're reckless, you're impulsive. Your parents are either incapable of understanding you or outright abusive, and you know you could do a much better job of raising yourself than they ever could. You might not feel like you're on top of the world, but some part of it is certainly beneath you— why not run? There're a million other things you could be doing with your life, and you're wasting it in the same old place, watching the same old people pass you by under the same old roof under the same old sky. It's always a toss-up between survival and boredom, though he never understood why both couldn't be taken into account. It was as though everything had to have some heavy meaning, a connotation behind it that the perpetrator got to keep concealed from others in an effort to appear mysterious. It was rarely that complex. Kids did stupid shit and the world kept on turning. Nothing about that ever changed but the place in which it happened.

"Eyes up here, pipsqueak. Starin' at it won't make it go away." The kid looked as though he'd never seen a knife in his life, though Archambeau had a feeling that wasn't true. He probably had one on him and was just unused to having something sharp aimed at him rather than away — that was usually how it worked, after all. Hypocrisy ran rampant through people's minds; they were oh-so-eager to stab others, but when the knife was driven into their bodies, oh, then things got messy. Archambeau followed a policy of never doing to others what he wasn't prepared to suffer himself, though, so he felt a little less bad about grievously harming people. Mostly. "Deep breaths, now. You bleed more if you're scared."
OH, THERE'S JUST SOMETHING ABOUT THE SUN THAT SEEMS SO VERY, VERY BORING. WHAT DID YOU THINK WHEN YOU MADE ME THIS WAY? WHAT DID YOU THINK WHEN YOU LOVE ME THIS WAY? HOLD ME SO CLOSE WHEN WE GET TO THE GATES AND WE'LL BE TOGETHER FOREVER & EVER AND MORE.
??.? ARCHAMBEAU, THE BADLANDS.  — [ ☼ ] —  SONG. \\ INFORMATION. \\ PINTEREST BOARD. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx