Author Topic: DISTANT — private  (Read 355 times)

Offline Cubs

• View Profile
DISTANT — private
« on: November 21, 2018, 06:37:07 PM »
/ excuse my lack of a template or pictures whatsoever but this is rushed at work! i’ll do better next time, king

With a squeak, the cold water gushed down upon his tan back, running over his skin and flushing the blood and dirt down the drain. Adonis tilted his head up, letting the water rinse away the beating he had just taken. It had been a shorter match this time; he had landed his signature knockout well into the eighth round, finishing the fight and taking the victory early. Luckily, he only had earned a few bad bruisings and cuts along the way- all in all, Adonis had a good match tonight.

Now, it was time to celebrate that good match. Adonis dried himself off before changing into a simple sweatshirt and jeans, sending a text Ares’ way: ‘Meet you in 15.’ The two had been building a friendship for a week or so now, having met through mutual friends. After firing Garrison, Adonis hired Stevens as his new trainer, who had trained one of his old friends. Stevens was proving to be a good choice, seeing as this was the third time since hiring him he had been able to walk off the ring early with a victory. The older man often preached about ‘strategy’ outside of physical, and had continuously been urging Adonis to attend parties and other social events with people of the same types of careers, as he said. He had met plenty of other boxers, MMA professionals, and such through these, but more often than not, Adonis started more fights than friendships with them.

That was until he met Ares. There was a certain likability about the other, a certain ease Adonis felt. Ares wasn’t just another ego-maniac who was dying to land a punch like so many of the people he met, but actually a decent human being. Naturally, they got along.

Adonis sat in the backseat of a blacked out SUV as he was driven downtown to one of his favorite bars. He was looking forward to an easy night, one of drinks and lighthearted celebration. It was far different from Adonis’ usual nights, where he found himself alone or surrounded by those in his bubble of ‘Adonis, the Heavyweight Champion,’ who he knew didn’t truly care about him. It was nice to be able to have this tonight.

He stepped out of the car, shoving his hands in his jacket pockets as the chilly winter air hit him. There was a light mingle of voices and laughter from the people walking the streets, and the glow of neon illuminated the walkway as Adonis entered the bar. It wasn’t too terribly busy tonight- a key reason why it was one of his favorite bars- and Adonis seated himself with an exchanged smile with a regular bartender there, Richard.

”Nice win tonight, Donnie. We played the match on the telly tonight,” He greeted him. ”Yeah? Got my bloodied mug in HD for all your lovely customers to see?” Adonis quipped back dryly with a shake of his head. Richard handed him a beer, letting a soft laugh leave his lips. ”Better than other nights at least, huh?” Adonis nodded with a soft exhale. That was true- Richard had been through his bad nights, busted nose, black eyes, slurred words and drunken quarrels. Hell, he was more than often the one who walked him out of the bar himself to make sure he got in his car safely.

Adonis turned his attention elsewhere as Richard tended to another customer, glancing briefly at the door. At least tonight wasn’t one of those bad nights. Tonight was going to be simple. Easy. A celebration.
down by home, i've seen this road before. i don't know if your soul can pay the toll. no crushing, no houses send flowers. syre cried a floral river into the valley where the sun set for hours. ⋆

Offline buddie

• View Profile
Re: DISTANT — private
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 11:58:41 PM »
/ BIh pls , it's a lot better than i could do , and u did that at work ?? ur doing gr8 sweetie . i missed ur writing sm wow . ty for making btw <3 this probs isn't the Best but it took me an hour to just write the first paragraph aslkdfjdhalskd & i'm rusty as heck

He tilted his face up towards the water, letting the spray rain on his face. Comfort. His arms crossed over each other, he reached his hands around his neck, and then gradually slid them back down to his chest to uncross his arms. He lowered his head after a few more moments, eyes squeezed tightly shut, and rinsed the rest of the shampoo out of his hair before turning the shower off. After being in a large, sweaty crowd, rinsing it all off was always a great feeling.

Ares wrapped his head in a towel, using a large one to dry off before stepping out of the shower. He walked leisurely out to the conjoined bedroom and to his bed, where a simple outfit was laid out. He dressed himself quickly and gracefully, unwrapping the towel around his head and drying his hair as best he could before slipping his sweater on over his head.

He would have been disappointed about not being able to curl up in bed with a good book, but for once, he was happy to go out. Celebrating Adonis' great win at a little bar, without constant camera flashes and screaming fans, was definitely something the boxer needed, and Ares was almost flattered he was the one to be hanging out with him so casually. Meeting him through a mutual friend (more-so an acquaintance, really, to Ares; the only person he'd ever truly consider a friend was Adonis, despite the fact they hadn't known each other for too long) was very different for Ares, but he was glad it'd happened. Adonis might have been a fighter with a little bit of a temper, but the Englishman could tell he was a good man, and he was just so intriguing.

He also looked at and treated Ares like he was an actual human being, which was more than he could say for about 90% of the other men he'd ever come across.

His phone buzzed on the nightstand, and he smiled, small, as he picked it up and checked the message. He hummed, thumbs hovering over the keyboard for a few seconds before he decided to leave it, and he slipped the device into his back pocket. He grabbed his wallet, putting it into the opposite pocket, and exited the room and jogged down the stairs. He grabbed his keys from the kitchen counter without stopping, and grabbed his coat (just in case) before slipping out, locking the door behind him.

The drive took longer than anticipated, but he was sure Adonis wouldn't mind him being a few minutes late. Once he got to the bar, he found a spot at the side of the road a block away and parked there. He took long strides to get to the bar, checking the other messages he'd received on his phone. There was one confirming payment, and another from a previous client who kept sending embarrassingly desperate messages. It was kind of amusing, so he refrained from blocking him.

When he spotted Adonis after stepping inside, he smiled softly, and stuck his phone back in his pocket. He made a beeline towards him and sat on a stool next to him, and turned his head towards him after getting himself comfortable with his arms crossed on the counter.

"I apologize for the slight delay," he started genuinely, and took a deep breath before continuing. "I don't think I told you yet, but amazing win, tonight, Adonis. Very impressive." His smile grew and he winked at the other man before turning his head back around to face forward. He tapped his fingers on the counter, smile softening as he gazed over at the television in the corner.
how is it so easy for you to be kind to people he asked
milk and honey dripped from my lips as i answered
cause people have not been kind to me     (  r.k.  )

Offline Cubs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 01:52:04 AM »

His fingers drummed across the countertop lazily, knee bouncing up and down lightly. He took a sip of his drink as he glanced across the small gathers of people among him. He caught the eye of a large man, piercing green eyes staring him down with an emotion Adonis knew all too well- a certain disdain, a certain confidence, a certain determination. A threat. Adonis met his gaze, sitting up straight as he realized the malicious intent behind that stare. He let a foot touch the floor, jaw clenched-

Suddenly, Ares' voice met his ears. The worry dissipated as quickly as it had arrived, and Adonis swiveled slightly to face the other. He greeted him with a smile, nodding his head in acknowledgment. "Don't sweat it," He brushed it off, and with it, the tense form he previously wore. His next comment brought a slight smile to his face. "Thank you. You're a flatterer." He leaned forward to rest against the bar. "What have you been up to lately? I'on think I've ever seen you before, shit, dark, really," He mused with a slight scoff. They never really exchanged questions about their day, and so often talked later into the day. After all, Adonis was a night owl, and his only real reason to wake up before 5 was to train.

Only a moment passed before suddenly an elbow was thrust into Adonis' side, hitting him so hard he spilled his drink. The man turned to face the other, brows furrowed, only to meet the piercing green gaze again. The man said nothing, but wore a smirk, nodding at the few other men with him, who exchanged soft laughter. "You got a fuckin' problem?" He snapped, setting the beer down with a clang. "You're the boxer- the left handed one, who beat down Anderson tonight, yeah?" The green-eyed man questioned with a sneer. "Yeah, I got a fuckin' problem. That guy you just beat into the ground's my cousin." Adonis shook his head. "I'on give a shit. I'm doin' my damn job. You should fuckin' know that if he's your co-" "He's got two kids. You sent 'im home to his kids with a busted face and missing teeth. Now, what, you're out celebrating that?" The man interrupted him, an anger flaring in his eyes.

Adonis rose to his feet to match the other's. "Is that right?" He narrowed his eyes. "I'll do the same to you, fucker, you got kids too?" The man didn't hesitate as he swung his fist, but that's exactly what Donnie was anticipating. He dodged, and taking advantage of his recovery time, Adonis landed a punch to his side, aiming for his lower ribs, and with his other did the same. It did enough damage to make the man step away from him, giving him room to sidestep away from his stool and face the other two men who accompanied him. They rushed him, and he was shoved back into the bar, counter jabbing into his back as a punch landed upon his cheek by the green eyed man. Adonis shoved back, spitting blood in the man's face as he let out a dry laugh. "C'mon. Wanna try a take at my belt, huh?" He smiled before another blow landed upon his jaw. Adonis landed his own, and shoved the man back to get himself away from the bar.

Richard was already out from behind the bar, and watched with stern eyes. "Donnie, walk away. Get home already," He voiced, swaying a bit nervously around the men. Adonis eyed his attacker as the man wiped his cheek, scowling at him. "That's all, champ?" He chimed. "Thought you never walked away from a fight." Adonis tensed at the comment, clenching his jaw, visibly torn. Fighting was purely in his nature, but he realized where he was- who was with him. He didn't want Ares to have to see this- didn't want to lose a friend he already cared for to some bar quarrel. Didn't want to hurt Richard. But he didn't want to walk away either. He swayed with anger as he tried to ease his anger.
down by home, i've seen this road before. i don't know if your soul can pay the toll. no crushing, no houses send flowers. syre cried a floral river into the valley where the sun set for hours. ⋆

Offline buddie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 06:19:37 PM »

Taking a mental note of the boxer's tenseness before he spoke, Ares quietly asked the bartender for a whiskey on the rocks, smile sweet. He watched him pour the drink, smile growing and a chuckle sounding from his throat as his new friend replied to him. He peered over Adonis' shoulder to eye at the men glaring daggers over at him, and rolled his eyes, taking a large sip of his drink. Hopefully they wouldn't be any trouble, and were smart enough to leave the boxer alone.

He looked back at Adonis with raised eyebrows at his question, then narrowed his eyes up at the ceiling in thought. It's not like he could tell him the truth, or at least the full truth. He bit his lower lip and settled for a shrug and a small smile. "Not much before the match, really. Catching up on some reading, mostly." And he wasn't lying—all he'd done that day, besides taking out the CEO of some shitty company that'd been on the news only a few hours later, was read and listen to thunderstorms on his stereo.

Ares hadn't even gotten the chance to ask Adonis about his day before his drink was being spilled, thanks to one of the men Adonis had been wary of before roughly elbowing his back. Ares narrowed his eyes and kept his face forward and down, but his eyes peered over at the boxer and the group of men. He tapped a finger on his glass, jaw clenched. As one of the men, claiming to be the cousin of the other boxer Adonis had gone up against that night, and Adonis exchanged words, Ares sighed heavily, albeit quietly, and shook his head. He pinched the bridge of his nose, and as the first punch was thrown, Ares leaned away a bit, and sighed once more after closing his eyes for a few brief moments.

He should have expected it, but he'd hoped so badly he and Adonis could just have a calm and quiet night of celebration, and maybe even get to know each other better. But, of course not. Neither of them could catch a break.

Ares looked up as the bartender came out from behind the bar, looking just about as tired as Ares, but instead of a calm disposition, he wore an open apprehensiveness. He slowly stood after one of the idiots spoke up, trying to provoke Adonis more than they already had, and put a comforting hand on the bartender's shoulder. "I'll get him home safely," he spoke quietly, a reassuring smile gracing his features before he turned around, expression more stern.

He gently touched Adonis' wrist before grabbing it just as gently, grip loose. "Adonis? They're not worth it. Let's get you home, yea? I'll drive you and help you get cleaned up." His eyes held some plead, but mostly an earnest to get out of there before things escalated even more. "C'mon," he encouraged with a light tug of the boxer's wrist, and the small, reassuring smile returned to his lips.

Offline Cubs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 01:56:29 AM »

Adonis eyed down his attacker, shaking his head in disbelief. This was exactly why he stayed in so many nights. This was exactly what he feared happening around friends- especially someone as new to him as Ares. He had hoped so dearly to just have an easy night. Have a few drinks, a few laughs, get to know the other more and call it a night. It had been so easy in his head.

Richard was eased by Ares’ words, clearly relieved that someone seemed to have some kind of a hold on the situation. He had broken up plenty of fights with Adonis, but Adonis was the one who had to step away firstly, and that was always a struggle to get him to do. ”Where’s your signature knockout, Donnie-boy?” One of the men crooned, eliciting an exasperated sigh from Richard. He should’ve just been a banker like his father.

Adonis sneered at the man, but when Ares took hold of him, he was visibly snapped out of his previous attitude. It was as if he had slipped into a temper-blinded scene. He looked to the other, furrowing his brows, before glancing at the other men again, wiping their wounds and throwing taunting looks his way. ”Listen to your little boyfriend, huh? Use what few smarts you have left.” Adonis growled in disdain, visibly tense and just itching to land another hit upon his smug face.

Donnie scowled and Ares smiled. He smiled. There was a certain confidence in him, a reassurance- a cool natured ease. Adonis hadn’t ever really seen that in someone before. It was all panic and instinctive violent, it was lashing out and the struggle between flight and fight. There was no struggle in Ares’ disposition.

He nodded. Hesitated briefly, but nodded. Without a word, he rubbed the back of his neck as he stepped towards Ares, and continued to the exit. The taunts of the men followed him, but Adonis didn’t seem bothered by them other than the clenching of his jaw. He shook out his hands, only now in the calm realizing just how badly they hurt from punching bare. He was accustomed to his gloves.

”Sorry,” He mumbled as he stepped out of the bar, looking back to Ares. ”’M sorry. That’s not how I wanted tonight to go.” He stuffed his bruised hands back in his pockets. ”I just-“ His brows furrowed as he tried to find the words. How could he explain it? How could he explain how he slipped into a haze when his temper flared? How could he explain the years of sessions had done little to ease the fire that raged behind him? How could he explain that he didn’t mean to do it? ”I got a bad temper.” As if Ares didn’t know by now.

Offline buddie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 11:41:39 PM »

Being able to get a rise out of Ares was a difficult skill most people could never master. He'd learned to analyze all situations in order to make the right actions to create the best outcome. He had to, not only for his occupation, but to survive. His life depended on his calm and confident disposition. One action made out of pure emotion and little to no thought could have been, and could be, the last action he'd ever make.

It was only natural he'd try to deescalate a situation a friend was in, for everyone's sake. He'd had plenty of practice with impulsive idiots, drunk or sober, bar setting or other. It'd always been something he could take pride in, being able to prevent physical fights or stop them, and most of the time, it amused him. Seeing someone so worked up over something that they felt the need to make a huge scene in a public setting was incredibly idiotic, but as long as no bystanders got hurt, it would give Ares a little chuckle; it was something for him to come down to after a job, being the voice of reason—a mediator—after playing death all day.

But now, it was different. He was annoyed at the group of men who'd picked a fight for a stupid reason, but mostly concerned for his new friend, and it showed in his gentle demeanor. He took a side glance at the men, eyes narrowed and lips tightly pressed together, and stood straight up with a roll of his eyes before smiling back at Adonis. The poor man probably just wanted a peaceful night out after fighting like a beast in an arena surrounded by hundreds upon hundreds of screaming people, and this is what he got.

Ares had been hoping for a peaceful night with his friend, too—he wanted to get to know him better. Hopefully, he still could.

Ares hovered his hand over Adonis' back, not quite touching him, as he finally started to move towards the exit. He stuffed both of his hands in his pockets, keeping an eye on Adonis as the taunts and jeers followed them out of the bar. He wanted to take the boxer's hands when he watched him shake them then hide them in his pockets, but refrained, and raised his eyebrows at the other man's apology.

The assassin cocked his head, listening intently as Adonis tried to explain himself. His smile grew, and he laughed breathily with a shake of his head. "You don't have to explain yourself to me, Adonis." He raised a brow, half-smile easy and friendly. "Technically, you were defending yourself," he started, looking out for cars as they crossed the street to get to his own. "Even if you were being a little provocative."

He quickly unlocked his car and waited for Adonis to get to the passenger side before he got in, rubbing his hands together before starting the car up. He leaned back and rested for a moment, hands gripping the wheel. He turned over to look at Adonis, smile a bit bigger now that the boxer seemed calmer. "'Can't really blame you, anyway. Those guys were assholes." He whispered the last bit, followed by a toothy smile and a hearty chuckle, leaning closer to Adonis as if he were telling him a secret. He leaned back away, and looked forward.

"Now, I'm gonna need your help to get to your place, yea?"

Offline Cubs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 12:50:21 AM »

He had never had the talent to control his emotions. Headstrong boy; reckless boy. Even in grade school, Adonis was throwing punches and biting words. He had an anger in him, a constant, unbudging anger that resided quietly within him, awaiting its opportunity to release. Maybe it was his past, his childhood, maybe it was a single event or all of them together- it didn't matter. He couldn't shake it, and at this point, he rarely tried to anymore. He had accepted it as a part of himself, and tried his best to use it to his advantage.

Still, he hated letting it slip in moments like these. Adonis flexed his fingers in his pockets, ensuring he hadn't done any real damage- Stevens would kill him. The man nodded at Ares' words. He didn't have to explain himself. That was a relief to him; he really was shit at explaining himself. He chuckled lightly at his later statement, following after him as he was led to Ares' car. "Couldn't help it." It was all talk anyway, really. Adonis already spent enough time beating himself up over the fact that he was paid to hurt men who were just doing their job like himself. He knew they were all rage and beast in the ring, but outside of it, he did not know them, and their consequences were often ugly.

Adonis slipped into the seat after Ares unlocked his car, settling back with an exhale, happy to leave the men behind him. He nodded in agreement, letting a cheery scoff leave his lips. At least Ares didn't seem to mind as much as he'd worried he would. He found a certain comfort in that. "Yeah, 'm close by. Second right up here, then a left," He directed with a nod.

As Ares drove, Adonis removed his hands from his pockets, glancing over his hands to check for any injuries. It looked like he had just bruised them, maybe a small cut- nothing ice couldn't fix. As the adrenaline faded, he noticed a bit of blood on his cheek- he had gotten cut fairly bad on his cheeks in the ring tonight, and it looked like that had reopened thanks to the green eyed man from the bar. His jaw was sore, but that seemed to be the extent of his injuries.

"Thanks, uh, for stepping up," He spoke, looking to Ares as they neared his apartment. "I get a little carried away, 'n usually, uh, Richard breaks it up..." He trailed off in thought. He felt bad for the man, dealing with his shit on a regular basis. "I'm sure he's grateful too. Spends too much time cleanin' up the messes I start, poor guy." He shook his head. Maybe he should get him something. What was an appropriate gift for 'local bartender who cleans up your shit'? Maybe a nice candle.

"You can park up here- yeah, that's fine," Adonis pointed to a space up front close to his complex. After stepping out, he led Ares to the staircase. "Just up here." He pulled out his keys and unlocked his door, stepping in and holding it open for Ares. It was a nice apartment- Adonis was well off due to his success in his career, but fairly small. "Uh, sorry, I know it's a bit..." How did respectable people describe it? "Cozy," Was that right? Something like that. "I never liked the idea of living in a big house if it's empty." He placed his keys on the coffee table. There wasn't a whole lot to it, really. Basic furnishings, well-conditioned appliances, very clean. Though, there was a fair amount of plants, hanging from the ceiling or along the walls, all very bright greens and well-grown. He had very little on the walls- no family photos or paintings of any kind. His trophies were displayed in a case, although were fairly dusty and obviously untouched. He never really knew what to do with them. His belt was mounted on the wall, this well taken care of unlike the other awards.

"You wanna drink? We didn't really have enough time to even share a drink properly," He smiled a bit sheepishly, moving towards a case in the dining corner full of nice spirits and such.

Offline buddie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 07:17:28 PM »

There were times he wanted to get angry and get into a physical fight, throwing punches and kicking the legs from underneath whoever had provoked him. Sometimes you could see it, in a twitch of his nose or a bitter smile, and as he stared with those dark, dead eyes, you’d think he was about to kick someone’s ass—but then he’d smile graciously, and he’d say something along the lines of, "have a wonderful afternoon," and he’d walk away. Nobody who frustrated him to that point deserved his time.

But he understood it wasn’t as easy as he made it look—to keep from lashing out. He understood some people couldn’t help it. He just smiled again over at Adonis with a nod of acknowledgement, and another at the simple directions. As he drove, he glanced over at Adonis, making a quick evaluation of his injuries. He would have immediately turned to take him to the nearest hospital if it was too nasty to treat at home, but thankfully the fight hadn’t lasted long, and Adonis got away with minimal wear and tear.

Ares’ eyebrows raised as the boxer began to speak again, turning to face him for a few seconds before turning back to keep an eye on the street and sidewalks. He listened intently, smile growing a little, and nodded his head. The genuine remorse in Adonis’ voice made him tilt his head and leans towards him to brush his shoulder with his own. "Hey, don’t worry about it. It’s no problem. Glad I could be of some assistance." He chuckled lightly, and pulled up to where Adonis had pointed, moving to take his seatbelt off and letting out a quiet 'tsk' when he realized he hadn’t buckled in.

Before they even got to the staircase, Ares eyed the area around them out of habit, eyes narrowed. He followed behind Adonis up the stairs, and kept his head turned to the side until the door was opened. He finally looked to the other man, frown replaced by a smile, and nodded before stepping inside, muttering a small thank you. He crossed his arms over his chest and let his shoulders relax, taking in the nice apartment. It was beautiful, with plants littering the ceilings and walls, and the simplicity of it reminded him of his own house, save for all the untouched trophies, and the feeling of warmth rather than the emptiness he'd grown so accustomed to.

Maybe he should invest in an apartment like Adonis' and sell the empty, cold mansion to a large family who could make good use of it for cheap.

Adonis' next words made him chuckle heartily. He nodded his head in agreement, smile bright. "I agree. Wholeheartedly." He turned to face the man, uncrossing his arms and hooking his thumbs in his pockets. "No need to apologize. I much prefer coziness to emptiness. It's very warm. I love the plants and the simplicity." He spun slowly to continue looking around, and because he wasn't sure if he should sit. It wasn't often he went over to an apartment or house not looking to seduce someone to make it easier to take them out. Even with the few acquaintances he had, he'd never been to where they lived—he never got that up close in personal with anyone. If it was possible, some of his confidence had left to make room for a bit of social awkwardness.

He was broken from his thoughts by the boxer's voice. He clasped his hands together after turning towards him. "Yes, that would be lovely." He walked leisurely, maybe even carefully, to where Adonis was at a case filled with the drinks. His brows knitted together at the reopened wound on the man's face, and hummed. "Maybe we should get you cleaned up first, though, yea? And get some ice for those hands?"

Offline Cubs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 10:42:27 PM »

Adonis was a homebody. When he wasn't fighting or training to fight, Donnie was at home. He preoccupied himself with a daily routine of watering his plants, listening to music, watching his favorite movies, rewatching his matches to correct himself, and reading. Despite his history with education- being a high school dropout- Adonis greatly enjoyed learning and could often be found with a book. Perhaps not as challenging of novels, but nevertheless, Adonis enjoyed a good story. He liked an escape from the constant violence that barred his life in.

He enjoyed his home greatly. He had not had a proper home growing up, and had always been in temporary homes. It had become part of his nature to want to create a home for himself. He was a nester. The apartment was his home, but Adonis still thought of it as temporary in a way- noticable by the barren nature of his walls, the lack of personalization in his home aside from awards. If he had to move out, Adonis would take with him his belt, plants, and books and be perfectly content. Adonis yearned to build himself a home, and with that, came a want to have a family with that. He never spoke on this- knowing the whole fantasy was problematic in the least to say. What kind of a father or husband would he be- coming home from work with a bloodied face and a beaten body? How could he function knowing his family had just witnessed him being beaten down in the ring? It was unrealistic, and Donnie knew it.

Still, his walls were barren, his home forever unfinished. "Thank you," He replied, a small smile upon his features as Ares complimented the apartment, albeit slight sadness in the curve. "Always had a thing for plants... 'ey're, uh, calming, I dunno." He laughed a bit softly, shaking his head. He didn't know why, but taking care of them eased him, and he felt as if he was doing some good by raising them. A certain balance between destruction and creation.

Adonis had just about forgotten about the blood that stained his cheek, only remembering when Ares mentioned it. "Shit, you're right," He mutter absentmindedly, setting the whiskey down as he turned to a closet in the nearby hall, taking a small rag from his linen closet. The shelves were full of towels and sheets, and a whole shelf was full of rags, all for the sole purpose of this exactly, some with stains from past usage; blood had always been hard to get out of them, Donnie learned. He returned to the kitchen to wet the rag under the sink and placed it to his cheek to stop the bleeding and relieve some of the pain.

"Least it's not too bad," He murmured with a slight nod. He moved towards his cabinets, taking out a box of small bandages. He had plenty of them stocked up, along with painkillers, prescription and over the counter, and cleaning supplies for wounds. This was clearly nothing new to Adonis- simply routine. He undid a bandage, brows furrowing as he realized the difficulty in applying a bandage to your face when you had no mirrors nearby. "Uh, could you...?" He turned back towards Ares, brows still furrowed, looking a bit hesitant. Usually he had his crew buzzing about him to help him patch up after a fight. But Ares certainly was not just one of them. Adonis felt a bit guilty asking.

Offline buddie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 12:42:29 AM »

Ares grew up with no home. He lived in a decent house, upper middle class, and he went to a nice public school. He didn't have many friends, maybe one or two that forgot about him too easily, but he had plenty of books to keep him occupied when he wasn't doing homework or hiding from his dad and his uncle. He had a house, but he didn't have a home—he didn't have a family, not after his mother passed away. The books were his escape, taking him to lands far away from his sick reality, and, God, when they were ripped away from him, he fell. That's probably what inspired the change in him, to go from a doormat to a clever young man.

The lack of family and a home drove him away from most people, if not everyone. He kept a charming smile on his face, but to someone with great perception, it was easy to tell he never trusted anyone, not even a little. He'd been alone his whole life, ignored and walked all over, and maybe it was cynical, but he didn't believe anyone could be different with him. When he met Sage, helping his daughter find her way back to him and Sage's son, he didn’t really think any differently—until they kept meeting, at a cafe, at Ares' favorite bar. Sage never forgot him, never ignored him, and listened to him. He never once called him pretty, never demeaned him into something less than human or less than capable of independence.

When they got married, it was the best day of his life, and when they divorced, it was his worst. He was alone again, left to pick up the pieces of his own broken heart, shattered after having to say goodbye to those kids—his kids; no longer his—and the feeling betrayal from the one person he thought he could trust. He was alone again, in his big house with no one to share it with, empty and cold. He was alone, with no one to go back to after playing death; he had no one to hold him and make him feel softer but stronger.

Then there was Adonis. When they met through Ares' acquaintance, he didn't expect to ever actually like the boxer—never expected to have so much trust in him this early on. Friends was a word he hardly knew the definition of, and now here he was, at this boxer's apartment trying to get to know him better after helping him deescalate what could have been one ugly scene, with a genuine smile and a genuine concern.

He'd hummed in agreement to Adonis' statement. Plants were very calming, not just to look at, and not just the aroma, but tending to them and watching them flourish—and knowing that you had something to do with their growing beauty felt like a pretty sweet accomplishment, especially to Ares. He was so used to taking life, and giving it was a very soothing change.

Ares chuckled softly at Adonis' curse of realization, and his concerned gaze switched back to the calm and confident, but sweet smile he’d seemed to have on his face all night (now that wasn’t something he was used to, and his cheeks had begun to ache). He watched him grab a rag, eyeing the others in the closet with a twitch of concern, and slowly walked up to where he placed the now wet rag on his wound. He leaned on on the counter with both hands gripping the edge, ankles crossed, and tilted his head, smile smaller as he watched intently.

Yes, at least it wasn't too bad. Ares hummed in response, following Adonis with his eyes without moving from his spot. His smile grew again at the trailed off question, and he waited a moment before nodding his head. "Of course." With gentle, nimble fingers, Ares took the bandage and carefully placed it over the wound, making sure it covered the entire cut. His brows knitted together in concentration, and when he was done, he leaned back to make sure everything looked okay, and that the bandage would stay. He nodded in approval and the small half-smile returned. "There we go."

Offline Cubs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 02:27:33 AM »

For as long as Adonis could recall, he had been angry. Angry at his parents, angry at the system, angry at himself. Never had he been a doormat, instead, he had been lava, he had been glass, he had been whatever the fuck you don’t step all over. All it took was a switch of tone or an offensive look and Adonis was at his feet, already tensing for a fight. He had spent his life ensuring he was anything but the doormat. But by ensuring that, he had somehow sealed his fate to only be plagued by that same violence, that same anger. It was an unbudging anger- a dooming fate.

Little did he experience peace. Little did he know calamity. His life was blood stains and bruises. It was his dream as a child- to be so dangerous others would just leave him alone, so intimidating that no one would ever wrong him again. There were plenty of theories his therapist threw about: the abuse, the helplessness foster kids felt, the lack of choice in his life. It didn’t matter, not to Adonis. It was simply fact. He lived as he lived, he was dealt the cards he was dealt, he made his bed, whatever, he just had to deal with it now.

Ares neared him to help with the bandage, and Adonis watched him with curious eyes. His touch was gentle, his smile light, his demeanor casual. He approached Adonis, interacted with Adonis, in an unfamiliar way to the man. The boxer was approached in two ways; either people approached him in anger and brutality, or people approached him with great caution and wariness. He was made to feel like a fighting pit bull; he was a dog with all teeth and jaws and strength. Reduced to a dog. You were treated like one long enough, and you began to act like one. He knew little bit how to bite, how to do as he was trained, how to defend himself.

Ares approached him with not only gentleness, but a certain confidence. He was not afraid of Adonis. He did not see the pit bull in him. Instead, he was something different- he was someone. The brunette stilled as the other applied the bandage, gaze trained on the other. He watched the way his brows knotted in concentration, how the corner of his mouth turned between his smiles, how his eyes narrowed just slightly as he focused. Adonis found himself admiring the other, as if he had never seen him before.

”Thank you.” His concentration broke, eyes blinking as he straightened, returning Ares’ small smile. He wasn’t used to this. Wasn’t quite sure how to react. Adonis seemed to pause a moment as he tried to refocus— what was he doing again? He turned back to the counter, crumbling the excess papers from the bandage and placing the box back. He deposited the trash in the bin accordingly and closed the cabinet. ”Okay,” He murmured, ”Uh, drinks, right.” He returned towards the table again, soon pouring Ares and himself a glass of whiskey.

He handed Ares his glass, and took his own in his hand. ”Here, we can sit, they’re not just for looks I swear,” He spoke with a smile, guiding Ares towards the living room and seating himself in one of the chairs. They looked almost new; it wasn’t as if anyone really used them.

If Ares was feeling a bit awkward, Adonis was exceeding that. When was the last time someone came into his apartment? When was the last time he exchanged a full conversation with someone that wasn’t on the topic of boxing? There seemed to be a pause as Donnie tried to recall what to say. ”I, uh...” No wonder he was so often called just another brainless boxer. All brute no brains, or whatever they said. ”This might sound weird, but I don’t really do this much. I don’t... uh, have people over.” He seemed to be trying to find the words again. ”I don’t have a lot of friends. I don’t like... most people. I don’t get along well.” He glanced over at the cabinet full of drinks. ”The reason most of those drinks are full is ‘cause I’m the only one drinking them,” He laughed softly. ”I don’t do small talk. I don’t do friends.” He looked back to Ares. ”But I dunno... I can learn.”

Offline buddie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 07:51:06 PM »

Gentle was something he’d always been. He had every reason not to be; he had every reason to be cold and heartless and rough—but he couldn’t fathom treating others how his father and his peers had treated him because of his gentleness; because of his softness. Maybe there was a tiny bit of him that remained gentle and understanding because everyone always told him he would get nowhere if he didn’t toughen up, but mostly, it was because he learned that his gentleness was a commodity, and it made him even tougher than anyone who’d ever pushed him around for it.

When he was twelve, he saw an older boy who’d only ever bullied him, given him a few bruises in a fight just the day before, being pushed around by who he assumed was his father. A rage bubbled up inside his little body, and as soon as the man had walked off with one more rough push that sent his son to the ground, Ares had jogged over. The anger at the boy had hardly been existent in the first place, but what little of it there was had disappeared. His smile was soft and reassuring as he held out his hand, and the older boy looked up at him in confusion, tears in his eyes. Ares could still remember the boy crying harder when he walked away, but also the small, shaky smile and nod of the older boy’s head. He never messed with him again.

That was when he realized being gentle and open-minded could not only give him a lot of power, but it could end up helping a lot more people than he ever imagined, and he went home with a smile on his face despite knowing what awaited him.

He’d been around a lot of people like that—violent beasts who’d only ever known violence and suffering, but wanted, and needed, a gentle hand to help them become gentler. Most of them, he couldn’t be that gentle hand, but he was able to be a light that steered them in the right direction. He had a natural talent for calming down angry beasts—and a talent for making them squirm under his gaze—because of his confident grace and fearlessness in the face of their fire-filled eyes. (He could make them melt in his hands or bring them down to their knees.)

Ares muttered a “No problem,” and took a quiet, deep breath, breaking his watchful stare from Adonis to peer down at the floor, then the ceiling, and finally to the counter, where one of his hands was placed to balance himself against it. He tapped his fingers on the countertop, eyes fluttering back up to Adonis at his voice breaking through the silence. He hummed in approval and waited patiently, then carefully took the glass from Adonis as it was handed to him.

He scoffed softly at the boxer and nodded in acknowledgement, following the other man to the chairs placed in the living room. He sat himself opposite Adonis, and pulled his legs up to sit criss-cross. Usually, he would have sat with his legs dangling over one arm, but he didn’t know if that was really appropriate while at someone else’s living space.

Ares loosely gripped one of his ankles with his free hand, taking a sip of the whiskey in his other. He let himself have another look around as an awkward silence fell upon them, but only for a few moments before Adonis spoke up again. He felt kind of bad, like he should have at least tried to spark conversation so it wasn’t so awkward, but some of that tension in his shoulders lifted as the other man spoke, and he found himself laughing heartily. At least he wasn’t alone in that he didn’t do this—have a friend and go over to their place—very often.

He shook his head, smile bright. “I guess we can learn together, then,” he started, a chuckle in his voice as he spoke. He took another sip of his drink before holding it carefully in his lap, tracing the edge of the glass with one of his index fingers. “I don’t ‘do’ friends, either, and this kind of small talk? Not really my forte. I guess we’re both a little rusty, hmm?” His smile made his eyes crinkle, sweet and almost comfortable. He tried to think of something he could kickstart this ‘small talk’ with, and straightened when he opened his mouth, hesitating for a few seconds.

So, dear Adonis, what do like to do in your free time?