Author Topic: DON'T TELL THEM ANYTHING [private] ANYTHING, PLEASE  (Read 224 times)

Offline Gray

• professional "little shit"
  • Played by Bryne
    • He/Him
    • View Profile
DON'T TELL THEM ANYTHING [private] ANYTHING, PLEASE
« on: November 26, 2018, 10:24:18 PM »

GRAYSON HANSON
Sixteen & Trans Male & High School Junior
❝and ever since seventh grade i learned to fire-breathe❞
//TW for violence and a bit of blood/gore, as well as some sexism?

There were times when he knew when to shut his goddamn trap, times that he saw the shift in facial expression that signaled if he didn't back off, he'd end up on his back. But there were other times he carried on without noticing, or even just without caring. He crossed the line, and he paid for it.

Stupid, it'd been stupid. Well, not entirely. He stood by his decision for going off on Lyle for calling his girlfriend a bitch; though ducking under his swing and punching him in the stomach hadn't been the greatest thing he could have done. Because if he felt as if he'd defended himself or gotten even or whatever, Lyle might have dropped it, maybe would have stopped calling Maya a bitch. But Gray hit back. Before he even could have a punch land. That wouldn't do.

Lyle hadn't gone too far; their other friends had stopped the fight mere seconds after it started, but that was enough for Gray to end up with a bloody nose, one that was still trickling even after the walk to Brendan's house from the park. He had someone's handkerchief pressed against it, stemming the flow a little bit, and more importantly hiding the injury from any passerby. Not that he cared much if random strangers saw; there was a short list of people he didn't want to witness this and his mom was at the top of the list.

Hence why he went to Brendan's house instead of his own.

Still holding the (now quite bloody) handkerchief over his nose with one hand, Gray knocked on the front door with the other. "C'mon..." He muttered impatiently under his breath.
I KNOW THEY'RE THINKING ——————
[ ❝YOU'RE TOO MEAN, I DON'T LIKE YOU, FUCK YOU ANYWAY❞ ]
Grayson & Trans Male & Sixteen & Flintlock Lodge

Offline Bryne

• 「 formerly known as pyre 」
  • Senior Moderator
    • She/Her
  • A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' first year! Art by Hootowls.
    • View Profile
Re: DON'T TELL THEM ANYTHING [private] ANYTHING, PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 10:26:36 PM »
tracking on my main too gfnhnjm
in city, i feel my spirit is contained, like neon inside the glass, they form my brain, but i recently discovered it's a heatless fire, like nicknames they give themselves to uninspire, begin with bullet, now add fire to the proof, but i'm still not sure if fear's a rival or close relative to truth, either way it helps to hear these words bounce off of you, the softest echo could be enough for me to make it through, folina, sahlo folina, sahlo folina, sahlo folina, i created this world, to feel some control, destroy it if i want, so i sing someone, folina, sahlo folina, sahlo ——— ——————————————
INFO & STAFF LOVE & CHARACTERS & LINK HUB

Offline BRENDAN C.

• au account —★ @hootowls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 11:21:39 AM »
Would it be a bit hypocritical—or ironic?—to say that Brendan despises fighting?

...probably.

Truth be told, he tries to avoid throwing fists and whatnot at people’s faces; just from experience alone, he knows very well how fucking painful bruises can be—he doesn’t wanna inflict that pain onto others. But sometimes, he realizes, fights can be inevitable. The number of times he had to knock a dumb-ass in the head for Leon or Gray or whoever else seems infinite to Brendan. (BUT honestly, it can probably just be counted on one hand.)

Well, anyways, Brendan also likes the idea of everyone just being nice. Why do people have to be so mean sometimes? I mean, yeah, people can be annoying and tick others off, but that doesn’t mean you have to go out of your way to be so damn rude about it. It puzzles him, just trying to figure out the motives of every bully out there. So many counselors say they’re like that because of "bad experiences," bUT is that true? Or do they just find enjoyment from it?

Lord knows.

Scooping Roosty into his arms, Brendan stops in front of the front door, unlocking and pulling the knob with one hand. Here is Gray, stuffing a tissue or hankerchief or something right into his nose. Blinking once, then twice, Brendan shifts the rooster around so he’s more comfortable, lips patting open but no words coming out at first.

then: "uh...hey?" stepping backwards, he makes room for the teen to step inside. "what's that?"

Offline Snowowls

• Senior Moderator
  • [ she/her ]
  • A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' first year! Art by Hootowls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 11:21:47 AM »
Track

Offline Gray

• Played by Bryne
    • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 02:18:02 PM »

GRAYSON HANSON
You could despise something and still recognize that it was necessary at times. People hate paying taxes, yet did it anyway. Maybe it's not a one-to-one comparison to pacifists learning self defense to protect themselves and others; but isn't it close enough?

To be completely honest, the true irony is not that Brendan doesn't like fights but is good at them. It's that he wants people to be nice yet is friends with Gray.

Maybe Gray could be classified as a bully. Only a select few people got genuine kindness from him, and an even shorter list was exempt from the barbed tongue that inevitably lashed everyone else. Why was he like that? Why did he feel the need to go after everyone for everything they did wrong? Well, it's got a lot to do with what the counselors said - bad experiences. Getting hurt so many times and being defenseless has now put him on the offensive; he'd like to think he's doing the right thing, though. Protecting himself and other people, hopefully even getting people to see the error in their ways. He didn't really see himself as a bully. He saw himself as an anti-bully.

But he'd be lying if he claimed he didn't get some level of enjoyment from being able to verbally tear someone apart.

This is hardly the first scuffle he's gotten into because he'd run his mouth; he'd say it hardly even made top five worst. Not even top ten. The only reason it registered as a blip on his radar was because of his mom, who would no doubt freak out if she saw him like this. "Got in a fight with Lyle. It's no big deal, I just need to clean up before Mom sees."

Offline BRENDAN C.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 06:57:31 PM »
Truth be told...well, Brendan doesn’t think Gray is a bully. If he stepped back and assessed the situation, though, and counted the number of fights Gray possibly started, then...mmmmmmayybee? But as it stands at this particular moment, no, he isn’t really.

Granted, Brendan doesn’t know the full story to——most things regarding the fights his friends lunge themselves into. For all he knows, maybe they were being made fun of, or—or the opposite side just deserved it or something. (Brendan admittedly grows uncomfortable at the idea that some people deserve getting pummeled, but honestly, everyone is guilty of feeling some sort of thirst for blood in their life.)

But anyways, back to the whole bully thing: Brendan doesn’t think Gray is a bully, no. He wouldn’t even word Gray as an "anti-bully," but that’s mostly a decision out of kindness than genuinely believing it (don’t get him wrong—he still thinks Gray is a cool guy).

As to whether or not Brendan himself is a bully...well, shit, he hopes not. He tries his very hardest to just come off as a nice guy and, yeah, maybe he does hang out with questionable people, but he just wants everyone to—at the very least—be acquaintances with one another. No dislikes, no hatred, no desire to slap someone...just peace and quiet.

But that’s basically impossible, isn’t it? And Gray is the epitome of a hard reality for Brendan to come to terms with: not everyone is going to get along.

Closing the door after Gray, Brendan can feel his frown tightening when his friend mentions Lyle; ooooof course.

Brendan almost feels tempted to say something like: aaand why are you still friends with him?, but he figures very quickly that maybe it’s best to keep his mouth shut and address the bigger issue: Gray’s bleeding.

Setting Roosty down gently, Brendan skedaddles his way on over to the kitchen, eyeing the time real quick as he snatches a box of tissues. He’d be lying if he says he doesn’t have to leave in an hour for a taekwondo lesson, but...eh, his friend’s kinda more important right now. Motioning for Gray to sit down at the dining table, Brendan tosses the tissue box onto it while digging through the cabinets for a pack of bandaids. (Whether or not Gray needs those, he doesn’t know man, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.)

"why did you guys fight?" he asks, pulling out a small box and closing the cabinet door.

Offline Gray

• Played by Bryne
    • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 07:22:50 PM »

GRAYSON HANSON
He had started a large number of fights. Some were quick scuffles that he could walk away from with his head held high, others were... rather brutal pummelings, and more often than the reverse, he was the one getting pummeled. He talked big game, could throw down with words better than anyone he knew (this is a tried and tested fact), but when it came to actual physical fights? Anyone with an ounce of ability would have little trouble mopping the floor with him.

That didn't deter him, though.

Gray's quite confident in saying that Brendan isn't a bully. He's knocked a head or two before, but only in self defense or defense of others that couldn't rise to the challenge themselves. Like Gray.

Brendan wasn't the only person to wonder why Gray remained friends with Lyle and the rest of his little posse. Dia certainly wasn't happy about it (she liked it much better when he hung out with Brendan), and he expected just about everyone else wondered the same thing, especially those with insight into the whole situation. But they didn't have the whole situation, did they? Because if they did, they might understand why he stuck with them.

Gray sat down at the table and carefully set several tissues on top of each other on the table before taking the handkerchief away from his nose and setting it down on the tissues. He grabbed another wad and pressed it to his nose; it might not be a lot of blood, but it was enough that he didn't want to leave it uncovered for too long. Especially here. "He said Maya was a bitch. She wasn't there to defend herself, so I called him an asshole and it... escalated from there." He glanced at the bandaids. "I don't think I'll need those, but thanks. You got any ice?"

Offline BRENDAN C.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 07:52:03 PM »
Unless one counted typical taekwondo spars, Brendan has never ever started a fight in his life, believe it or not. He isn’t sure what exactly spares him from that whole anger thing—the boiling rage to punch someone in the face and knock their teeth out—but oh well; Needless to say, whatever chemical produces the whole I-must-fight thing is critically endangered in his brain at the moment.

Which, y’know, he’s perfectly content with that.

Tuning in on Gray’s explanation, Brendan can’t help but purse his lips, looking at his friend for a moment longer before darting his hues elsewhere.

"that’s rude," he breathes slowly, hurrying on over to the freezer after snatching a small cup.

Ice plopping into the green plastic, Brendan sets it down on the counter as he pulls over a ziploc bag from a drawer, and once the ice is in the bag, and the bag is covered with a paper towel, he seals it tight. Grabbing a chair, he sits down and pulls in next to Gray, bag in hand ready.

"where do you want this?" Brendan asks, motioning towards the ice bag.

Offline Gray

• Played by Bryne
    • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 08:09:40 PM »

GRAYSON HANSON
Gray has experienced that anger, that rage, several times. He hasn't always acted on it, but there have been moments when he did and when he caved in, it was with a level of savagery that surprised even him. It took very little for him to go on one of his rants, but the blood boiling anger that was so foreign to Brendan? It took quite a bit of provocation to get Gray going like that, and if you fucked up that badly, he figured you deserved it.

"Yeah. The others aren't really like that, they'll say stupid shit about other things but Lyle's the only one that's... you know. Maya thinks she can change him." Gray sighed and tilted his head back for a moment, studying the ceiling until Brendan offered him the ice. "I'll take it, thanks."

Offline BRENDAN C.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 08:46:56 PM »
It took a lot of prodding and poking and endless sneers and jabs to get Brendan even somewhat ticked off, honestly. He tries to remain levelheaded and cool at all times because—and he knows this may come off as harsh—lord knows his friends can’t. They need——a meditator. and while Brendan isn’t quite so sure about it, he thinks he’s filling that role at least somewhat decently thus far.

He has some doubts in general about everything, though. He wonders—would his friends stay the way they are now without him? What would they be like if he never showed up? Would they even change, if at all? He...isn’t quite so sure, and just thinking about it makes his stomach tie up into little knots as he hands the ice to Gray.

Now that he thinks about it, brendan guesses (key word: guesses) he’s been angry before? And all of it has happened in those fights he got stuck in, but...that was mostly a i need to defend myself/my friends anger than the i need to kick ass rage his comrade experiences. huh.

Hearing Gray’s last comment about Maya, Brendan bunches his shoulders, eyebrows furrowing a little. He’s had a total of one encounter with her, and she seemed nice; she always had a smile, didn’t talk ill of anyone. It doesn’t come off as a surprise that she’s trying to change Lyle for the better, as hard as it may be.

"I hope he’s treating her right," Brendan briskly—and softly—adds, shrugging. He pauses for a minute, then adds: "you’re gonna be okay?"

Offline Gray

• Played by Bryne
    • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 11:22:44 PM »

GRAYSON HANSON
It's absolutely undeniable that Gray needs a mediator, someone to tell him to ease up and make peace with whoever has earned his ire. Lord knows he's never going to do that on his own. Brendan, of course, fills the post about as well as anyone can; it's not a job that Gray will let anyone do well. Brendan's steadfastness and decency are some of the biggest factors in his success, as there's rarely anything that Gray deems worth targeting in his friend.

He's not sure how different he'd be if Brendan wasn't in his life. If he thought about it long enough and possessed the self-awareness, he could acknowledge that Brendan acts as a counterweight to influences like Lyle. Maybe he's not on the straight and narrow, but his path would likely be more crooked without him.

The anger that one boy had and the other didn't likely had everything to do with their life experiences. Gray had countless things to be angry at; had been the victim of countless injustices and no where to channel his emotions. No one's life was perfect, and Gray couldn't imagine that Brendan didn't have things to be pissed at, but the other boy was much more level headed and, even if he did become upset, he could channel that in taekwondo and track. Any outlets Gray had were far more destructive.

"He won't get away with treating her badly." Honestly, if Lyle had to be with anyone, Gray was sort of glad it was Maya. She was about as likely to take his bullshit as Gray was. "I'll be fine, don't worry." His gaze shifted to the window while he iced his nose. After a few minutes he frowned. "Ah, jeez. Lyle's going to my house." He stood up and headed for the door - the last thing he needed was Lyle talking to Dia right now.

//this is total garbage I'm sorry

Offline BRENDAN C.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 07:50:56 AM »
Well, at least Brendan is being helpful with something other than his fighting abilities. While it isn’t his life goal to make an impact on someone’s life, much preferably for the better, it does spark a warm feeling in his chest whenever it does happen. He—platonically—loves his friends, and although most of them tend to be a little...on the bad side, he wants to see them succeed in life and get past their troubles.

And, yeah, Brendan’s has—and had—things to be angry over. His parents can be frustrating sometimes, but he settles any fuel about that in the idea that hey, they’re trying their best. He forgives them. He also forgives those dumb bullies that tornented his friends because, well, they learned a lesson. And——maybe that’s one of Brendan’s flaws, honestly. He tends to forgive people, even if they’ve done something horrible (horrible to a high schooler, that is).

After all, there’s a reason he tends to not tell sel to fuck off every time she waltzes in over; he’s forgiven her, even if she made him jump out of a window due to...uh...private reasons. Let’s just say Brendan really didn’t want to. But hey, she (hopefully) learned a lesson: Brendan believes in abstinence.

Nodding nonchalantly at Gray’s final comment about maya, Brendan finds himself zoning out a bit, hues dragging towards the living room; there stands Roosty, completely still and eyes blank. Brendan idly opens his mouth to call the chicken over, but stops himself as Gray comments——something about Lyle being at gray’s Porch..? Whipping his gaze to the window, Brendan blinks.

"hm."

Okay, he guesses. But then Gray stands up and heads for the door, and Brendan finds himself trailing after by instinct, eyebrows furrowing a little.

"can’t we just——leave him alone?"

Confronting Lyle is just begging for another fight in brendan’s mind. Sure, he doesn’t know him that well, but just from the past fifteen minutes or so he’s learned enough to know that lyle can—and will—fight Gray.

(( nahhhhh your post is fine, this is a trash post ))

Offline Gray

• Played by Bryne
    • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 06:18:13 PM »

GRAYSON HANSON
//is not

Brendan is indeed helpful in many areas, but Gray's not so sure he can say the same. He tries to help, sometimes, but he's more often than not pretty useless unless it involves yelling at someone. He'd certainly like to think that his yelling (well, that's an exaggeration - he rarely needs to raise his voice) is effective and people do learn their lessons. But people are stubborn jackasses that don't like being told that they're wrong, particularly when the one calling them out is good at proving his point.

Gray isn't a forgiving person. He never has been and he's pretty sure he never will be. He carries his anger and his hurt, and it fuels him. He doesn't really like thinking about it, because well, it's not a realization he'd exactly be proud of.

"Nope." He said, lowering the ice from his nose and holding it by his side. "He might tell my mom what happened." With that he headed outside, not looking behind him to see if Brendan was following him. He shut the door (or started to, at least) so that Roosty wouldn't be able to get out. He didn't need his ass kicked by Lyle and Brendan today. "What're you doing here?"

Lyle turned and crossed his arms. "There you are. I wanted to talk to you."

Gray narrowed his eyes as he strode across Brendan's lawn. "Then talk away." He doubted Lyle would take another swing at him, but he didn't fully trust that he wouldn't.

Offline BRENDAN C.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 06:45:50 PM »
brendan likes to believe that all his friends are helpful in some shape or form, whether it's in an...uncommon way or seemingly temporary way; leon, for example, helps usher brendan out of his crab shell. sure, brendan is most often seen inside that shell, but—sometimes he's not, and that can be thanks to leon. gray, too, had helped brendan gain new friends. if brendan hadn't met gray, if they didn't get along, then brendan wouldn't know most of the people he interacts with. that, or brendan would be getting bullied more often. either one.

brendan's shoulders droop at gray's quick—and rather blunt—answer. frown twitching, he shoves his hands in his pocket as gray explains on, mentioning dia, and soon enough brendan simply nods.

yeah, okay, that makes sense, he silently guesses, head tilting a little.

stepping around roosty (who now appears very interested in the open door), brendan nervously follows gray outside, making sure to completely close the door behind him after waving to roosty. hopefully this shouldn't take long though, right? that sounds...pretty ideal, but brendan can't guarantee if a fight is going to happen or not. dear lord, he hopes not.

straying a few feet behind gray, brendan keeps his hands in his pockets, blue-gray hues landing directly onto lyle; brendan doesn't speak—he's mostly just here to make sure lyle (or gray, he supposes) doesn't lose his temper. shoulders tense a little, brendan's eyes flicker on over to gray for a split second before they land back onto lyle. subtly, brendan finds himself twitching a little in anticipation, and he cautiously takes a few steps towards his friend.

this can go two ways, he thinks, and, please gray, let it be the good way.

Offline Gray

• Played by Bryne
    • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 02:00:05 PM »

GRAYSON HANSON
Lyle's gaze flicked over Gray's face. "Wow, I really did a number on you, didn't I?" He could feel a small amount of blood slowly peeking out, and felt a surge of irritation at the comment.

"Just get to the goddamn point." Gray snapped.

The other boy held up his hands, as if that would be enough to placate him. "I wanted to apologize. I'm sorry for hitting you."

This did nothing to soften Gray's demeanor, if anything it soured it more. You couldn't just admire your own handiwork and then apologize for it. "I'm not the one you need to apologize to."

//this sucks I'm sorry