Author Topic: a losing battle | p  (Read 165 times)

Offline vix

• semi-active.
    • View Profile
a losing battle | p
« on: November 28, 2018, 12:14:53 PM »

Once immersed in the celebrity world, Marvin encountered a sufficient amount of women. Particularly, beautiful women. He's always felt alienated from his peers, but it didn't stop him from relishing in that lifestyle, wide-eyed and beaming. Believe it or not, Hollywood was exceptional with their life lessons, teaching him rather quickly that one didn't have to feel as if they belonged in order to make it; and that was clear in his upcoming success. Five months ago, he would have been the main protagonist of a blockbuster film, something that he'd anticipated since he was eight years old. He would have been co-starring with one of the most beautiful women alive, but instead, he's stuck in his hometown with a hot-blooded teenager who can never sit still. Marvin wasn't satisfied with routine, he liked spontaneity, and yet most days he has to settle with card games and discussion with her.

That is, until he's set his sights on a beautiful woman, barely conscious. Memory is the first to bound to her rescue without a moment's hesitation, while Marvin stands stationary. Blood and grime clung to her skin, hair, clothes. It's impossible to tell whether the blood is hers, or someone else's. It's impossible to tell whether she'd been bit. "Wait-" He lifts his hand out towards his companion, eyebrows furrowed. She turns to face him, but his eyes remain on the stranger. "What if she- what if she turns into one of those things?" His first witness had been his sister, his mother turning. He's not sure if he wants to witness another. His eyes flicker towards Memory, who ponders before she shakes her head.

"I guess we'll have to find out."

And so they do. Another stranger in his home. His home, and yet he feels as if he's trespassing. So many memories plague the Lawrence home, but the only one that haunts him the most is his ultimate decision to leave with savings that could have been for anything, but at the time he could only think about how it could benefit him. But no, he wanted to give his family the life they'd never had. One that consist of lavish vacations, without worry on whether they'd be able to pay the next cable bill. He was supposed to wrap that emotional baggage, to maybe bring them with him... now he had no family. No lifestyle. And he can't help but wonder if media still wonders about him and his whereabouts.

"She's waking up!" Marvin overturns the picture staring back at him in the kitchen once more. He carefully gathers the three glass bowls. One is awkwardly cradled in his arm, while the other two are in his hands. He walks into the living room to see that in fact, she was. Memory is attempting to keep distance. She doesn't want to scare her. But she's proud that she decided to do something humane. There wasn't much option for that around here.

"Chicken noodle soup." He announces, handing a bowl to Memory before setting the stranger's on the coffee table. Already, Memory introduces herself between ravenous bites of the soup. If there was anything he appreciated about Memory, it was her ability to take initiative, and the fact that she doesn't complain when they're going onto their revisiting the beloved cans of Campbell for the fifth day. It was always his family's turn-to food.

"My name is Memory. He's Marvin. Do you know where you are?" She's shown no signs of being infected and yet, Marvin eyes her cautiously.

@finny.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:38:47 PM by vix »
they say you're a little much for me
you're a liability

Offline finny.

• Senior Moderator
  • "what is up with finny and daddies" - crows
    • She/Her
  • A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' second year! Art by Hootowls. A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' first year! Art by Hootowls.
    • View Profile
Re: a losing battle | p
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 04:25:27 PM »

alana had lost it. she definitely was losing her marbles. she was a smart girl - everyone around her knew that. she graduated the top of her class from college, hell, she even graduated highschool early. maybe it was common sense she lacked. she swore she saw him on the cameras. her twin brother - her best friend. when she panicked the people in the building said there was nothing she could do. she was frustrated and on a whim, the goody two shoes decided to sneak in the restricted walls. she now knew that was a stupid idea. she felt the heebie-jeebies as soon as she entered this place. lane knew there was no way she'd get out of her once she entered. yet she did. she did it for her brother (she didn't know if he was even alive still, either).

she wasn't quite sure what... exactly happened. she was walking cautiously down the street when one of those things came out of nowhere. she wasn't a violent person, she could rarely even kill spiders. she didn't know shit about defending herself against threats. she was a computer junkie, she didn't train for this. after fighting it off for a second she managed to get away and hide in some alley before she passed out.

alana's head was throbbing. her muscles ached and she felt dizzy as she came back to it. it took her a few moments to get her eyesight back to normal and once she did her blue eyes caught onto two strangers. she was about to tell them that she didn't have anything on her worth taking before the girl introduced them. did she know where she was? sure. "yeah. a shitty city." she blinked a few more times, cringing some as she sat up. her eyes looked over to the two once more before she noticed something about the guy. he looked... familiar. "hey! you're marvin lawerence!" she stated the obvious. "you're actually alive! wow. that's cool! i've seen you on-" she finally became more aware and cut herself off, shutting her eyes tightly. "3... 2... 1.." the blonde said under her breath. counting down had been a tick she had for when she was talking to much, it helped her stop. "sorry... i babble too much sometimes."

"i'm alana." she introduced herself sheepishly.
you don't get thick skin
without getting burnt HUB

Offline vix

• semi-active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 07:22:29 PM »

The first time he'd heard his name from the word of a stranger's mouth, submerged in their admiration for him, he'd been out for brunch with a close friend of his, a photographer named Jeff. They attempted to be suave in approaching them, as if it wasn't the actor of their favorite TV show wasn't here in flesh and bone, but their excitement was betrayed in their eyes. Marvin didn't blame them, as he was excited himself, to have even been known. Just two months ago, no one cared to know his name, or his story. Now, they couldn't get enough. Now when he hears it, all suspicions is subsided and instead, he's relieved. It'd been too long since he's had contact with anyone on the outside, unhealthy for someone who craved socialization to keep him going. Now that there was someone, he had to know.

"Yeah, that's me. That's me."

No, keep talking. You could keep talking. It's not as if he didn't deal with enough of Memory's ravings, anyway. (which is funny, as she dealt with his own far more than he'd like to admit.) All somber complaints about how hungry he was were forgotten, his bowl placed to the side to instead make room for himself. He drops to his knees, hunching over the coffee table to close the space between he and the blonde. It was a comical turn of events, because even when Memory demands he'd carry her home he refused to hold her for more than a minute. Instead, he'd taken a shopping cart with a busted tire and lugged her that way. At least then if she turned, he'd be able to put the distance between them. Now, if she wanted to, she could lunge at him with feeble hands and desperate eyes before even given the chance to stop her. There's not much distance, but he doesn't think to be cautious.

All because she knew his name.

"You're from outside these walls, aren't you?" Subconsciously, he'd recognized from the first few days by himself, protected behind the soldiers and its walls. He could have asked about her wellbeing before he inquired his own, asked how she'd ended up here in the first place. All three seem to recognize it just isn't where she belongs, that someone in their calamity wouldn't be wearing a white dress skirt and a pencil skirt. But instead, he asks, "Are they even looking for me anymore? My team knew where I was going." He wonders how money couldn't even persuade anyone to look. He'd had plenty of it and yet, he's sitting on empty promises that are barely ever refurbished the months they throw survivors nothing but a bag of canned food to barely last them two weeks.

"Marvin" Memory's hand reaching out to yank him is what withdraws him from the attention of him and Alana. He turns to her, expression grim when he notices hers. So taken in hearing the answers from the blonde newcomer, he hadn't registered the panic betrayed in her tone. But it was there. In her eyes. Ones that didn't look at him, but at Alana. He knows that look, as it's the same one expressed when he'd seen his mother, his sister, and any one of those things on the street. No. His only chance out was bitten, she couldn't be. He slowly glimpses over at her and there, on her arm revealed the glimpse of the gnarly, yet unmistakable bite glaring back at them.

"No," He mutters, but when Memory yanks him again, he stands, reaffirming his distance between him and the girl.

"Y-you have two options." For the first time, Marvin notices Memory has a gun. Her hand trembles, though. She doesn't want to do it, but only bad things happened to those who hesitated. "I shoot you before you turn, or you put distance between us before you do."
they say you're a little much for me
you're a liability

Offline finny.

• Senior Moderator
  • "what is up with finny and daddies" - crows
    • She/Her
  • A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' second year! Art by Hootowls. A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' first year! Art by Hootowls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 12:55:48 AM »

alana was always anxious and slightly embarrassed after she'd go on and on about things. she didn't want to annoy people (she was sure she has). normally people brushed it off as something minor. sometimes people would actually voice how they were annoyed. but it was rare for them to tell her to edge her on, asking for more. her eyebrows were quick to knit together when he set down his bowl of soup and got closer together. her breath hitched some, she wasn't so sure if it was because he was just really close now or if it were because he was a celebrity and close to her. she felt herself leaning back into the couch more but she kept her bright smile on her features as she listened to his questions.

"uh, yeah. yeah i am from outside of the walls. long story on why i'm in here. actually it's not that long. i thought i saw my brother... so here i am." he didn't ask why she was in there. her face scrunched some, mentally scolding herself for speaking so much again. she really had to work on that, huh?

lane her hands in her lap, tilting her head some, pursing her lips. "yeah, people still are talking about you... just not as much?" her voice involuntarily went up at the end as if she were asking a question, her eyebrows raising and furrowing together in the process. she rubbed the back of her neck some. "they actually re-" alana cut herself off when memory called marvin away. when they pointed to her arm she looked down and noticed the bite on her arm. instead of freaking out like other people would, she just breathed in deeply and sighed. her eyes looked to memo when she began to give her the two options, this time her eyes widening.

"ab-negative." she let out quickly to the two of them. she shook her head some, closing her eyes briefly. "some people with ab-negative for their blood type are immune to the bites. it's rare but it's not impossible. i know the symptoms when people get bit - i worked with the government... so.. i know that i haven't had any of the symptoms yet." alana mentioned to them, getting to her feet, holding her hands up some. "listen, i can leave if you guys want me to, but just... no shooting me, please."
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:58:32 AM by finny. »
you don't get thick skin
without getting burnt HUB