Author Topic: ◜ i could be a warrior : open ◞  (Read 183 times)

Offline 𝐆𝐀𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐋

• ‘ 童子 ’
    • View Profile
◜ i could be a warrior : open ◞
« on: December 23, 2018, 05:54:02 PM »
[ shitty muse bc i haven't played him in a while + also this is basically just a thread updating on his development. he's decided to get personal training so that he could defend himself. he's going to be going through a weird identity-crisis for a lil while because he's having self-esteem/masculinity issues!! ]

Gabriel had accepted the fact that he was... weak. He wasn't strong like the others here, physically or mentally. All of his life, he had been coddled and sheltered and never put in any real danger. His father had tried, oh how he had tried, to teach him how to defend himself. To throw a punch. Sometimes Gabriel wished that he would have took his advice, but he had always stuck true to himself - he was not a fighter. He was not a warrior. As long as he lived a simple life nestled in the empty suburbs, then how much danger could he get into?

However, this was the Badlands. This was a place where threats and danger and bloodshed thrived. The bullies that had pushed him to the ground only made him realize that he was dead meat if he couldn't even face an opponent. So, he had been training in private. He was getting better every day... it took some time, of course, but he knew some sort of self-defense techniques now. He was not totally defenseless, even if he insisted on keeping the peace no matter what.

At the moment, Gabriel stood on the outskirts of town. He faced a tree, staring it down intently, and within seconds he had swiftly sent a knife hurtling towards the base. It stuck into the bark, albeit sideways, but it still wasn't a full miss. He huffed and removed it from the tree before repeating the process again, aiming for the figurative bullseye.
☾*: I MISS THE TASTE OF A SWEETER LIFE
I MISS THE CONVERSATIONS

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: ◜ i could be a warrior : open ◞
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 07:51:47 PM »
//there are kind of. some dark themes in here and I'm not sure how to explain it bc it's very general and not specifically violent or traumatic it's. fear of those things but they don't happen

Catalyst would never forget the day when they went too far, when the other people in his neighborhood stopped viewing them as a weirdo or an enigma. When they ceased to be a pariah that everyone ignored and became a target for "God" (since of course they didn't believe in Him) only knows what. When they were followed home, when the other kids their age (actually, many were a few years older) camped outside of their house.

It was the first time they had ever truly felt afraid. And Cat wasn't just scared for themself, they were scared for their mother. They gave her enough grief without bringing danger right up to her doorstep. They didn't think they'd seen Molly that scared either, or pray as hard as she did, with her cross clenched in shaking white fingers.

As soon as it was safe, they left, and they never looked back. It was for both their sake, really, she'd be safer without them around and they needed to figure some shit out. Most notably, how to make sure they never had to be that scared of anyone ever again. So they learned how to fight, and they learned every dirty trick that wasn't in the book as well as any that were. And as a result, they'd felt true, genuine fear very few times and caused it many.

Cat had been returning from a patrol of the border (someone had to do it, and they didn't see anyone besides maybe Sheo doing it as often as it needed to be done) when a knife whizzed by them. They froze, their eyes locking onto Gabriel immediately. Contrary to the knife that had just nearly killed them, they didn't really see the boy as any sort of threat. "I thought you were all about pacifism." They said, plucking the blade from wherever it had landed.
sighspace
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 08:17:25 PM by 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭 »
YOU GOT ME COMING BACK FOR MORE
I'VE NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE

Offline LAKE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 08:29:49 PM »

[ tw for mentions of killing and torture ]

lake had been raised quite the contrary. she'd been raised by the sun and the moon, never knowing a parent. she'd never had lullabies or bedtime stories, she'd never been hugged or kissed goodbye. all she could remember was the dirt staining her skin, painting her body with mud to stay cool in summers and picking berries from bushes for food. she'd learned what it meant to kill at the tender age of eight; within a matter of days, she'd gone from killing squirrels and rabbits to human beings. she'd learned from a young age what pain a piece of bamboo between fingernails could inflict, how a thin stick could make someone scream and bleed if you moved it fast enough.

she hadn't been sheltered.

she hadn't been coddled.

she hadn't been protected.

for as long as lake could remember, she'd been a feral human, built like some ethereal being, too tall, too fair. she looked delicate, but she was far from it. the young woman didn't understand feelings, so she chose not to feel them; the few times she'd experienced rushes of emotion, it had only hurt her, and she didn't like to be hurt.

but perhaps there were bright sides to the wild fire within her. she'd been raised without civility, without manners, but also without prejudice, without judgement. she'd never learned to think there was some shame in weakness, some unwritten rules for the sexes. sure, she might look crossly at someone who cried when they were hurt, who didn't know how to throw a punch, but it was less about judgement and more about not understanding. lake had never known anything other than what she was, and the thought that someone could go through life without killing, without harming, without facing their enemies fists up and teeth bared was simply unfathomable.

but perhaps others might see her in the same light, they might not understand how someone could have no concept of manners or basic humanity. they might not understand why, in the fact of danger, the blonde bared her teeth and chose to fight first and foremost. putting yourself in someone else's shoes was easier said than done.

❝you throw rocks,❞ lake said matter-of-factly as she approached, arms crossed over her chest as she glanced down at the boy, who stood nearly a foot below her but was older than her ever so slightly, ❝knives are for stabbing. duh.❞ she'd tried to throw her version of knives once, but the only knives lake used were shiv's fashioned out of sticks, so they never quite did the job.

Offline 𝐆𝐀𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐋

• ‘ 童子 ’
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 10:20:48 PM »
Gabriel hadn't meant to nearly hit Catalyst with his blade, and he sported a small frown when it stuck into the lower half of the tree trunk. Dang, it still hadn't hit where he had wanted it to hit. He glanced up at Catalyst and walked over to take back his knife from the other's hand. ".. Not necessarily." His answer had come after a few moments of thoughts, and although Gabriel wanted to believe what he had said, something inside him still insisted that he, indeed, had pacifistic tendencies. "I'm just learning how to defend myself." The boy had never been in a real brawl in his life, but now he was preparing himself for the day he did. It was inevitable, right? From the local bullies to raids from enemy groups, he couldn't afford to be naive and vulnerable.

Lake showed up, and he offered a slight quirk of his brow. Had this girl never heard of knife-throwing? Although Gabriel had never thrown any in his life prior to joining the Badlands, he still knew of it. The art of knife-throwing could be effective in some ways; say, if you were a short distance from your opponent, you could fling a blade into their chest and take them down easily. Pretty dark thinking for someone like Gabe, but that was what he had been told. "Knives can be for throwing and stabbing." Answered the blue-eyed teenager before he proceeded to throw the knife at the tree again, just barely missing the middle.
I MISS THE CONVERSATIONS

Offline LAKE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 07:54:58 AM »

lake watched him with naturally narrowed eyes narrowing further, dark optics trained on his movements as he retrieved the knife and made another throw. she understood the use of weapons from a distance; a long enough stick sharpened to a point made for a wonderful javelin, rocks could do some damage with a hard enough throw, and even things like water and dirt could be rather painful if you weren't expecting it to be dumped on you. she'd fought with nature all her life, but those were offensive weapons.

❝that's not defendin' yourself,❞ she said, frown prominent as she stuffed her hands in the pockets of the hoodie she'd stolen some time ago, and seemingly never taken off, ❝that's goin' after people. throwin' stuff ain't gonna help you when someone comes up from behind and wraps an arm 'round your neck, or sticks a knife in your back.❞ she mused, recalling from personal experience. ❝you gotta be able to punch. and kick. and bite. but more important, you gotta be able to take a hit. you ain't helpin' yourself if you're knocked out on the ground, and if you're defendin' yourself, you sure as shit ain't throwin' the first punch.❞ she might have been the same age as the shorter male, but lake hadn't been raised proper or civilized. she'd been killing since she was in the single digits, and torturing people even before that.

she shrugged though, leaning to one hip casually. ❝but, y'know, you can keep throwin' knives and hope for the best.❞ she didn't really understand sarcasm, but this was her best attempt at it.

Offline 𝐆𝐀𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐋

• ‘ 童子 ’
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 12:24:30 AM »
The knife stuck into the tree, and he looked back towards Lake, a borderline glare adorning soft features. Who was she, a combat expert? Some sort of self-defense guru? Who was she to tell him how to go about doing things, anyways? She couldn't have been older than he was, and he couldn't possibly fathom the idea of a kid retaining as much knowledge on this stuff as adults did. Then again, Lake wasn't... normal. Who knows what she had been through? He didn't want to even begin to understand right now.

He walked forward to remove the knife from the trunk and he huffed in response, "I didn't realize you were my personal trainer." While it was not unusual for Gabriel to grow frustrated with someone, he normally did not vocalize his comebacks or feelings. He was so used to ( bottling ) up his thoughts, as he was always rather the soft-spoken boy, but that had not been the case as of late. Gabe had been taught to channel his emotions into his actions and words, and he had also been told that he'd need to stand up and speak for himself if he wanted to survive in this world. It felt strange to be so o u t s p o k e n , but in a way, it felt good to get things off his chest. With no absence of a frown from his lips, he added, "I think I'm fine, but thanks for the advice." His tone was, in part, sarcastic. Not everything Lake said to him was necessarily untrue, but he was getting better at hitting his target. He wasn't going to let her belittle his goal now.

With that, Gabe sent the knife flying through the air once more. It swiftly stuck into the middle of the tree, right where he had aimed, and Gabe let a soft sigh of relief escape his lips.
I MISS THE CONVERSATIONS

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 06:38:25 PM »
//this is a late mess I'm sorry

Lake's little comment about knives being for stabbing and rocks being for throwing brought a wry smile to their face. You could almost argue that throwing knives was like stabbing someone from a distance, or that rocks made excellent tools for bludgeoning someone up close. But they remained silent for the moment, watching Gabriel's response. He claimed he was just trying to defend himself. "From what? The tree?" Cat asked, just as the teenager threw the knife again. "Okay, now I think you're trying to hit me. You didn't even give me a chance to move."

Now that they had the chance, though, they leaned against the side of the tree - not the part that Gabe was aiming for, but still in the line of fire if he missed. "It's good advice." They commented, lifting a hand up to scratch their chin. "You should consider it." Cat wasn't standing here because they were good at throwing knives, they were standing here because they were tough enough to survive the blows that came their way and strong enough to give back everything they got. They couldn't pretend that predicting threats before they presented themselves and neutralizing them hadn't saved their arse a few times though, because it had. But you couldn't watch your back all the time without leaving your front vulnerable, and vice versa.
sighspace

Offline WILLOW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 09:08:14 PM »
willow wasn't completely on her own like lake. but she definitely was far off. she was raised by kids only a few years her senior. even with that minsicule guidance, she still practically raised herself due to the lack of trust she held towards everyone else. she grew up knowng how to fight and defend herself. she had to protect the others. plus, she'd sometimes have to fight the other kids when they tried to take her stuff. her older brother hadn't been one to coddle her either, he helped her get stronger even for her small frame. she could pack a hard punch if she wanted to and was a pretty good aim when it came to the shotgun the camp shared.

willow had heard the trio talking about the scene unfolding. she hung around back aways, eyes starting to narrow some as she gathered the information. with a huff she shoved her hands into the pockets of her jean jacket and casually walked over. she stopped by lake and watched as gabe threw another knife, quietly standing there. after a few minutes she rolled her eyes.

"who says you need to learn any of that?" she mumbled, referring to all of the advice lake gave him as well as hinting at him learning to throw knives. she didn't know why she even cared that he was doing this, but she didn't like it.

Spoiler:  ◜ running for my life┊ updated 12/3 ◞ • show
BASICSNICE TO KNOW MY KIND
&. ❝ willow ❞ |  no nicknames, isn't completely opposed to receiving one | afab cis female [ she/her ] .
&. 15 years old . | july twenty-third ; cancer/leo cusp .
&. member of the badlands . former hunter of the children of abaddon .

PERSONALITYWILL BE ON MY SIDE
&. when you first meet willow, you will notice that she's quite untrusting and almost anxious when meeting people, especially those over the age of twenty. growing up in a cult full of children, she never was around adults so is very hesitant around them because she doesn't know how they normally will act. she's very observant to how people act, she's always watching every move they make, trying to calculate that they're gonna do. when she feels anxious she may start to feel like a caged animal, her flight or fight response kicking in as she tried to figure out what to do.

once she is comfortable around you she's really loyal. certain people make a calm feeling rush over her, so once she finds someone that gives her that feeling she'll try and be around them as much as a she can. she'll often look for them when she's in big crowds and go to stand by them, maybe even going as far as holding their hands when she's nervous. she'll often try and stand up for these people a lot, especially when people are targeting them.

her imagination always gets the best of her. she's overflowing with creativity at all times and often tells random stories to keep that part of her from exploding. she loves going on adventurous and getting herself into trouble, even though that's probably not always the best thing to do.

APPEARANCEI DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE
&.  5'4 & 107 lbs ; reference .
↳ willow's hair is a dark brown with a red tint to it / it's really long and thick, it reaches the bottom of her back / it's soft and wavy, gets tangled easily
↳ green eyes / a mixture of almond and cat shaped / long and thick dark eyelashes
↳ a light tan, kind of pale
↳ has numerous scars literally her body, the most noticeable being the one on her left eyebrow and the one on her back righ shoulder

INTERACTIONSAND YOU KNOW YOU'RE A TERRIBLE SIGHT
&.  [ 8/10 ] physically  |  [ 7/10 ] psychologically .
↳ difficulty w/ guns [ medium ] | difficulty w/ melees [ strong ] | difficulty w/ hand-to-hand [ strong ]
↳ combat information .
&. attack in bold #b64c36 | @finny | PM for any major plots .
&. friendly or nonviolent actions may be powerplayed .

INVENTORYBUT YOU'LL BE JUST FINE
&. [ 2 ] weapons | [ 0 ] armor pieces | [ 3 ] consumables | [ 2 ] aid items | [ 3 ] misc .
↳ for weapons she has a small pocket knife her brother gave her as well as a hunting knife she took from some house awhile back. she has a can of peaches as well as various seeds and berries she's picked along the way of her traveling and a water bottle. for misc. items she has an old journal that is a quarter way filled with journal entries and random doodles, an old necklace that was her brothers, and a lighter. she has a few bandaids in her bag as well as a wrap to go around wounds.

RELATIONSHIPSJUST DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE
&. dean x lilith | both parents are deceased, has one older brother whom is deceased.
&. biromantic, bisexual
↳ not looking.
no crush | 1 maybe crush.
&. travels with a beautiful dog she named fish.
you don’t know my heart
the way you know my face

Offline MICHAEL.

• @aj
    • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 06:22:54 PM »
"speech" 'thought' text
tw: mentions alcohol, blood, themes of violence

Michael was usually able to be found around any source of interest, and this scene was growing more interesting by the minute, so he had decided to pop in for a few minutes, see if he couldn't help out the lad who seemed like a good sort. Argentum, his grey-blue canine by his side, he slipped through the crowd. His gaze went from one to the next, as if judging if it would be best for him to speak, or remain silent.

After a few moments, he made up his mind, and spoke. "My lady," This was addressed to Lake, though he did not know her name, and, while he had some interest in getting to know her, it was not the time to introduce himself. "The same argument could be made of stones, why throw them when you can bash people over the head with them, or turn them into clubs, or whittle them into sharp points." He smiled without humor and turned to Gabriel.

There was a sudden softness in his eyes as he addressed the boy. "Defending oneself is always a good cause to consider." He spoke slowly as if taking time to choose each word carefully. "But that does not mean you must learn alone." He offered a more genuine smile this time, his fingers scratching the top of a perfectly contented dog's head.

Brows furrowed slightly, and he continued. "Should you have the need for it, I would be happy to help you learn to defend yourself, though, I am not the best fighter, or instructor," He paused here as if musing on his own standing in this regard. "But, I flatter myself to think that I can fight decently well, and all the knowledge I have accumulated is yours should you request it."

He dipped his head to the group, unable to hide a quick grin in the direction of the boy. It was hard for him to be serious when in the presence of youth, though he was surrounded by idiots and killers, he dared to let his guard down for the two seconds his genuine smile lasted. Face returning to it's normal seriousness, the muscular man let his gaze wander over the faces of the others gathered, offering them each a nod, and a bit of prolonged, possibly uncomfortable, eye contact.
pissed off beats scared.
biography  -   tags   -   opinions   -   dump

Offline LAKE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 07:42:40 PM »
of course lake took his words as a challenge. crossing long arms and squaring broad shoulders, she squinted a bit at the boy, lips pressing into a frown. ❝i bet you cry like a bitch when you get punched,❞ she muttered, but it wasn't really directed at him. rather, it was a comment to satisfy herself, bringing a smug little smile to her features.

but michael approached. the strange man approached, and though she only half paid attention to most of his words, he immediately brought an angry, almost violent look to her features. ❝i'm not your anything old man.❞ she snapped, visibly bristling at the comment, before turning her eyes to gabe. ❝he admits he ain't the best. he's gonna get you killed, pretty boy.❞

( ic opinions because lake is d e f e n s i v e )

Offline MICHAEL.

• @aj
    • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 08:22:56 PM »
"speech" 'thought' text
tw: mentions alcohol, blood, themes of violence

He could not help it, his lips quirked into a smile at Lake's quick, and angry reaction, and a short laugh escaped his mouth before he could contain it. "Sincerest apologies miss." Was the answer that he settled on, offering her a deferent bow. Perhaps he was being a bit sarcastic, and yet, he felt a strange mirth welling up inside of him, an emotion not often felt by the scruffy soldier.

He coughed at her next comment, and then cleared his throat. "To say I was the best would be presumptuous. In hand to hand combat I have not been beaten, however, I am not cocky enough to believe that there is no one out there who is better than me." He raised an eyebrow, half curiously, half accusingly to the young woman. Drawing his flask from his jacket and taking a quick swig.

No, he was not going to lose his temper over this, it wasn't worth it, truthfully not much was worth it, though he'd seen red many a time, and acted shamefully because of it. "I leave it up to this young gentleman, whether he would like my help or not, it is solely his decision." His voice held an edge to it, signaling that he was not going to talk about the subject further, though he would gladly engage in a battle of wits, or fists with this interesting young lady.

He smiled coolly at the young woman, winked at Gabe, and let his figure relax substantially, most of his attention diverting to his canine companion Argentum.
pissed off beats scared.
biography  -   tags   -   opinions   -   dump

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 12:11:00 AM »
Cat's eyes flicked over to Willow as she spoke up, shockingly, in defense of Gabriel. "Yeah," they said, grinning, "who says you should learn a well rounded arsenal of defense mechanisms that don't rely on one or a handful of things?" And now yet another new challenger entered the ring, this one the muscular man, Michael. Yeah, Cat was quite certain that was his name. Jeez, they weren't used to having to remember so many names at once. It'd been years, since Mourningstar even. "Alright, calm down. I can't imagine Gabe's getting all that much out of this, so step back and take a deep breath." Maybe they should do some sort of sparring thing. Let people get their issues out and demonstrate why their style of fighting was the best. Actually... not a bad idea. They'd have to do that at some point.
sighspace