Author Topic: talk about your favorite thing  (Read 195 times)

Online Hootowls

• Administrator
  • [ she/her ]
  • A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' second year! Art by Hootowls. A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' first year! Art by Hootowls.
    • View Profile
talk about your favorite thing
« on: January 03, 2019, 08:21:27 PM »
Yknow that feeling when like. you love smth so much you always want to talk about it and you can just explode from wanting to talk about it

Yeah
This is what this thread is for
Just gush on and on about your favorite thing here
hootowls ( /ho͞ot-ouls/ )
1.) owl city is love
2.) tom holland fanatic

Offline shsl crybaby

• hug a friend !
  • have a good day !
    • he / him
  • A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' second year! Art by Hootowls. A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' first year! Art by Hootowls.
    • View Profile
Re: talk about your favorite thing
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 10:39:11 AM »
so
sososo
would anyone be grossed about if i talked abt taxidermy / bone collecting here ? is that cool ? i was gonna put it in a spoiler anyway but is that okay ?
lark / micah - 16 - they / them or he / him - mentally ill - disabled
doing my best to be a positive person !

let's try again !

active monday - friday , 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. , select weekends
time zone : central standard time

please click to help me grow my pet :>

Offline van

• Community Assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 12:33:23 PM »
fuckin genetics nerd over here waddup
i was introduced to punnett squares in seventh grade and i've never looked back. like punnett squares are the most beautiful thing ever and they're so neat and easy to understand and it's amazing. like my love of these goes as far as me having a poster of my dominant and recessive genes in the squares in my bedroom.
like look at this shit with lets say green and blue eyes:

b    b
G  Gb  Gb
b   bb  bb

that kid has a 50/50 shot of having green or blue eyes, even though only one parent had a dominant green gene and a recessive blue gene. in sophomore year bio we did like a whole unit on it and you can bet this gorl got an a in that class i love them so much. i was in a genetics club junior year and it was so fun, i got to make a baby by listing my traits and getting random traits from an imaginary guy and it was just so fun.
if i get into my top choice college, i already snooped on the course catalog and i'm pretty sure, if i can get into it before it fills up, second semester i'm taking a class on genetics and it's gonna be so fun. i'm applying as a bio major with a focus on cellular and molecular biology, and i plan on either going to grad school or pursuing a phd in it in order to go into research, and i'm so hyped like i love this field more than i love air or food.
and like i love the super weird parts too? like i have curly hair whereas both of my parents have straight hair which makes no sense. and i'm not allergic to poison ivy, whereas both of my parents are severely allergic to it, which also isn't possible. but it's 100% confirmed they're both my bio parents lmao, proving that i'm just an anomaly. also both of my parents have severe add, while i don't, so like ig i lucked out in that department. i really, really love the biology of hereditary allergies too; i have my dad's severe allergy to bees, but no one else in my family has a reaction to oranges or tomatoes like i do.
and things like chromosomes are also so fun, like hermit crabs have over 250, whereas humans only have 46. also, fun information: potatoes and chimps have the same number of chromosomes. there's a plant that i can't remember, i think it's a part of the fern family, that has over 1200 chromosomes, which is,,,,, wyld.
honestly i could go on all day about cellular bio or just any bio it's just so fun.
a weekend on a boat in california
memes available upon request    ó    van#5054

Offline shsl crybaby

• hug a friend !
  • have a good day !
    • he / him
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 01:11:11 PM »
whoaaa

ok bouta talk about bones forgive me

Spoiler: talking about dead things sorry • show

so i'm very into vulture culture, which is the community (especially on tumblr) that likes taxidermy and dead things, but they mostly focus on bones and teeth! skulls are especially popular.
most 'vultures' use roadkill and animals that they find dead in the woods. it is highly discouraged and looked down upon to kill animals specifically for taxidermy and collecting.
the process of cleaning bones goes something like this:
step 1, optional: skin whatever you're cleaning and take the meat off. you don't have to do this, but it speeds things up.
step 2: pick a method of cleaning. i use maceration because it's easy and hands-off. basically, put the thing in warm or room-temperature water and leave it. don't touch. this decomposes the tissue remaining and cleans it with decent success. some folks use beetles and that's the best method, i've heard, but i'm 16 and my family doesn't like this at all. they're not buying me beetles so i can have animal bones.
step 3: degrease! get rid of the maceration water (i hear it's excellent for gardens) and wash the bones with dish soap. if you're cleaning a skull, especially a small one, be REALLY careful about the teeth. when i was cleaning my hedgehog's skull, i lost some of her teeth. :(
step 4, optional: whiten. leave the bones in some peroxide until they're white. it shouldn't take very long, maybe a few days.
and there you go. :) like i said, do NOT kill animals just for their bones or skin. my hedgehog died of natural causes. i would NEVER promote killing animals. find your remains, or ask local hunters / farmers to tell you when they find something they don't want. if you live in the south like i do, finding hunters and farmers is really easy.
have fun with your witchy bone aesthetic. <33
oh! and don't forget to look up your state's or country's roadkill laws! especially with birds.
lark / micah - 16 - they / them or he / him - mentally ill - disabled
doing my best to be a positive person !

let's try again !

active monday - friday , 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. , select weekends
time zone : central standard time

please click to help me grow my pet :>

Offline fay

• Goblin-fae Child
  • --pic not me lol--
    • Queer [Any pronouns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 11:56:29 PM »
Hewwo, I love both VC and Genetics!! But like also,,, I really like dragons and animals in general. I wanna go to college to become a zoologist! Meanwhile, I just enjoy making dragon characters and dragon biology and the likes lol
"My body is a temple, ancient and crumbling, probably cursed, harboring an unspeakable horror." -- Jordan Shiveley

Online BEATLES

• ☾*: ó Ď 西海岸 í
  • . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 12:50:41 AM »
van I had no idea you liked biology this much okay

I like a lot of things okay Iím just
I like music just in general? You can give me random 1920s swing to Dean Martin to Led Zeppelin to Metallica to Kendrick Lamar to the whole ass Sound of Music soundtrack I donít care I literally just fuckin love music
Except for 99% of country

Ive been into the musical Jersey Boys for years now and it continues to be my fave!!

And uh
Iím rly into,,, the mafia. Specifically Prohibition Era gangsters/the Five Families of New York/The Italian Mafia?? Boardwalk Empire got me into it and now Iím just super interested in it?? Not that I condone organized crime or try to say that these gangsters are good people but I know a lot about some of them lol
「 CUPID HIT ME, CUPID HIT ME WITH PRECISION 」
❝ I WONDER IF YOU LOOK BOTH WAYS WHEN YOU CROSS MY MIND. ❞

beatles // feminine pronouns // characters // see profile for more info ♡