Author Topic: ◜ california never felt like home to me : trespasser ◞  (Read 109 times)

◜ california never felt like home to me : trespasser ◞
« on: January 03, 2019, 10:22:22 PM »
[ sade is a plot character! she won't be around a whole lot unless it's necessary ]

"Hey! Let me go!"

A young, childish voice rang out from the streets; the outskirts of town, to be particular. Following it was the sound of boxes tumbling to the ground and several other things clanking and crashing onto them, as if they were roughly knocked over.

Moments later, the source of the commotion was revealed. A young girl, not yet an adolescent, was yanked out of the building and into the open by a larger grunt of the Badlands. His grip firm on her arm and making it impossible for her to get away, she yelped, "Help!" Another NPC had arrived to check out the scene, in which the man grunted, "Found her trying to steal food." Momentarily, he shot a glare towards the little girl and looked back up at the other. "Get Catalyst." The girl only managed a huff, accepting the fact that she could not escape this time. And she hadn't even managed to sneak a morsel.
LIKE A BARGE AT SEA
☾*: IN THE STORM, I STAY CLEAR

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: ◜ california never felt like home to me : trespasser ◞
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:35:23 PM »
Cat might not have you believe it, but once upon a time, they'd been a child. A desperate one, one whose peers would often steal their food and leave them with nothing. They'd had many hungry nights; even when their food wasn't stolen, there were times when there just simply wasn't any. So this was one of the few things that Cat could, on some level, sympathize with. Not a great deal, mind you, after all much of the mistreatment they had suffered had been at the hands of children.

But they knew what it was like.

And now someone had come to fetch them, telling them that a little girl had been caught stealing food. No, she wasn't one of theirs. They appeared on the scene with a frown on their face, arms already crossed. "What's all this about?" Even if they could sympathize on some level, they needed to look out for their people first and foremost.
sighspace
YOU GOT ME COMING BACK FOR MORE
I'VE NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE

Offline MICHAEL.

• @aj
    • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 02:29:25 AM »
"speech" 'thought' text
tw: mentions alcohol, blood, profanity, themes of violence

Michael was around, as usual, who really knew what the man did when he was alone. Well, some people probably had guesses, though whether or not they were accurate guesses was another question entirely. He had arrived at the scene shortly before Catalyst, and had been about to go and fetch the leader when they arrived without his aid. He accordingly knew, well, at least some of the situation at hand.

The short haired military man set his lips in a firm, unemotional expression as he halted a foot or two behind tho leader of the group. It wasn't that he was trying to show Cat some exaggerated respect, just that he understood the need for personal space, and also harbored some uneasiness about the person, knowing that Cat was most likely not the most stable of humans. That could be said, however, for the entirety of the Badlands.

Without speaking up quite yet, he listened watching Cat's face as they responded. In all honesty, Michael believed that they could certainly spare some, small something for a child who was desperate enough to steal. If his own child had been forced to such a low... but no, he did not think of that. Some memories were best left untouched, buried deep down without any hope of seeing the light, some memories caused too much hurt, were painful.

Perhaps Mike was a coward for running from the truth, but he knew he would not be able to hide from it forever, sooner or later his reckoning would come, hailing fire and brimstone as he was condemned to an afterlife of eternal damnation, torture. Hell. He swallowed visibly at the thought, face showing a touch of anxiety before it flickered off his expression, leaving and emotionless.

His gaze flickered from Cat, to the child, finally speaking, though possibly out of turn. It was a kid for Christ's sake. "She was caught trying to take some food." He answered from behind Catalyst, his usually booming baritone voice surprisingly soft. "No wonder, kid looks like she's half starved." He wondered absently if she was, in fact, an overlooked member of the Badlands, or the child of one.

Though he couldn't remember seeing her face before, that could just be because of... not remembering, he finished lamely in his mind.
pissed off beats scared.
biography  -   tags   -   opinions   -   dump

Offline LAKE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 10:15:55 AM »
lake approached the scene with all the tenderness of a rabid animal. arms swinging, hips swaying, the towering woman that was really just a child made her way beside the two grown men, one a little below and one a little above, long arms stuffed in the pockets of her olive green cargo pants as she observed the girl, then glanced to the two men who'd visibly softened for her.

❝i killed sixteen people when i was her age,❞ she muttered quietly, distrustful brown eyes dancing across the child's figure, ❝she is young, she is skinny, that does not mean she is not a threat.❞ lake was still a child; lake was malnourished and underweight; lake could kill someone with her thumb if she wanted to. she knew herself, and therefore trusted no one because they seemed young or weak, not in a world like this.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 02:23:35 PM »
Hearing the commotion arising from down the street, Gabe quickly made his way over, nervousness welling in the pit of his stomach. What would be awaiting him? Another bandit attack? Nonetheless, he told himself to remain vigilant and brave; he could not cower now, not when he had nearly arrived. The boy turned around the street corner and flickered his gaze over the scene, darting from person-to-person. Catalyst, a random little girl, other Badlanders...

He eventually put two-and-two together -- this girl had been caught stealing food. She was clearly a trespasser, and now Gabriel wondered if she would be treated as such. He looked to Catalyst now, wondering how they would react. Michael had a point, but would the leader be so forgiving?
☾*: I MISS THE TASTE OF A SWEETER LIFE
I MISS THE CONVERSATIONS

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 02:29:42 PM »
Sade froze upon Catalyst's arrival. They were... tall, dark, and menacing; they had the face of a true villain, at least in her eyes. She was not used to making direct contact with such threats, the bad people she had been told about long ago. From the rugged, dirty faces of these people, she could see that she was definitely in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The others commented, coming off as less harsh than she had expected, although the slightly older girl did say that she killed -- sixteen people? Her breath hitched, panic swelling up in her heart. Sade had to go, she had to leave, she had to escape! She sent a swift kick to the guard's leg and tried to make a run for it, and although he grunted out in pain and surprise, his iron grip still clenched onto her arm.

Sade was yanked back and she wrestled for her freedom once more. "Lemme... go!" She snarled, growing more frustrated as well as frightened by the second. She eventually stopped trying to run and she panted, sweeping her gaze over the crowd. She caught the glance of a boy who looked several years older than her -- gee, how many kids were here? Were they all bloodthirsty murderers, too?
LIKE A BARGE AT SEA
☾*: IN THE STORM, I STAY CLEAR

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 05:25:14 PM »
The comments came trickling in. She stole food. Michael, a factual statement about why they had been brought here. Half starved. A theory about her motivations, one that made quite a bit of sense, also Michael. Lake killed sixteen people when she was young, and they couldn't say they were surprised. At her next observation, they spoke. "Believe me, I know that children can be monsters." When they were Sade's age, they were in the Young Rogues; they couldn't imagine finding a group of more vicious children.

Gabe didn't say anything, just watched them watch the little girl. She tried to escape her captor's clutches, but even if she had managed it, she'd still have to get past everyone else. "You're not even going to try to defend yourself?" They asked, pausing for a moment. "Did she steal from someone specific, or from stores meant for everyone?" This was addressed to their grunts, as they didn't expect the little girl to know the answer.

Spoiler: IF YOU DONT KNOW NOW YOU KNOW && INFO && 01/03/19 • show
GENERAL   welcome to the end of eras, ice has melted back to life
⇥ Given name is Scott Mathew Darrow ⇥ Goes only by Catalyst or Cat
⇥ Assigned male at birth ⇥ Agender ⇥ They/Them pronouns only
Twenty-one ⇥ Born 11/27/17 ⇥ Sagittarius ⇥ Real time aging
Top Dog (leader) of the Badlands ⇥ Ex prisoner of the Badlands
⇥ Ex cultist (Mourningstar) ⇥ Ex member of the Young Rogues

RECENT EVENTS   done my time and served my sentence
⇥ 01/02/39 ⇥ Helped fight off Sheogorath's captors
⇥ 12/31/38 ⇥ Discovered Sheogorath's journal
⇥ 12/30/38 ⇥ Held their first meeting, which can't be summarized briefly
⇥ 12/29/38 ⇥ Confronted Jeremy, their old captor
⇥ 12/27/38 ⇥ Took over as leader of the Badlands

APPEARANCE   dress me up and watch me die
⇥ Catalyst is 6'2" tall; they possess a lean and muscular body, one that has a variety of old scars adorning it. They have two piercings, one in their tongue and the other in the cartilage of their left ear. They typically dress in dark colors (favoring jackets with some sort of writing on the back), and their hair is black. They're not all dark, however, as they have pale blue eyes that peer out from beneath medium-sized eyebrows.

PERSONALITY   if it feels good, tastes good, it must be mine
⇥ Catalyst is ambitious, with the cunning and ruthlessness to reach their goals by any means necessary. They can be brutal when they feel it is needed, however when it's not they won't bother. They tend to be rather aloof and apathetic to most things and people, with some very rare exceptions. Provided those around them don't cross a few specific lines, they're content to leave them be, though they've been known to take an interest in some people, which seldom has a positive end for whoever their interest is in. They can be manipulative, and will often encourage people to make bad decisions. Those that stick by them will be rewarded, but those that do not will be cast out, as they've been outcast for their entire life and have learned to appreciate loyalty wherever they can find it. Even during the most stressful of situations, they usually keep a firm grip on their temper and keep their calm, though when they do snap and lose their temper, it is uncontrollable. They're remarkably observant, often able to deign much from subtle clues in what people say, how they say it and how they act.

RELATIONS   dynasty decapitated, you just might see a ghost tonight
⇥ Molly Darrow x Austin Darrow ⇥ No siblings
Pansexual/PanromanticSingle ⇥ No crushes or maybe crushes
⇥ Not looking but not not looking ⇥ Rarely forms romantic attachment
⇥ Holds most people at arms length and doesn't get close

INTERACTION   i'm taking back the c r o w n
Hard physicallyHard mentally ⇥ Doesn't let their guard down
⇥ Is most comfortable with close ranged-weapons ⇥ Dislikes guns
Brass knuckles ⇥ A variety of knives ⇥ Blunt objects like bats
⇥ Will kill/capture/maim in certain circumstances
⇥ Will leave things be in others ⇥ Will start & finish fights
⇥ No kill/capture/maim without permission
⇥ Peaceful powerplay allowed but they may react negatively
⇥ Dislikes almost any sort of touch unless they initiate or agree to it
YOU GOT ME COMING BACK FOR MORE
I'VE NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE

Offline MICHAEL.

• @aj
    • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 08:26:58 PM »
"speech" 'thought' text
tw: mentions alcohol, blood, profanity, themes of violence

Michael disregarded Lake's comment with a deep sigh, and a roll of his eyes. "I'm no saint either." He replied almost snapping his response back. It was true, he was certainly not above anyone here when it came to deeds done. And no amount of prayers would fix that, but he still clung to his religion... he had no clue why he did so. Especially these days. He glanced towards Gabriel, and offered him what was meant to be a reassuring nod, turning his attention back to Cat and the younger girl.

Scratching the side of his nose with the back of his thumb, Michael furrowed his brows thoughtfully. He had to admit that he had left his guard slightly down at the soft appearance of the girl, the seeming innocence in her eyes. Perhaps he had judged too quickly, though he saw Lake's judgement of the younger girl as too quick as well. After all, no child should be desperate enough to kill.

Grunting he looked towards Catalyst, trust the boss to start asking the "important" questions. He decided that, if it was his store of supplies which the girl had stolen from, he'd probably be very indisposed to injure the girl. Though if it was the general Badlands supplies there was a slightly different action elicited from him. The broad shouldered soldier waited patiently for the grunts to respond to Cat's query, eyes still on the little girl's frail frame.
pissed off beats scared.
biography  -   tags   -   opinions   -   dump