Author Topic: 「 the tie that binds 」- p.  (Read 298 times)

Offline elysian.

• he/him
    • View Profile
「 the tie that binds 」- p.
« on: January 21, 2019, 07:15:58 PM »
rory davenport.
it definitely wasn’t a stage with thousands of people crowded around, all of them knowing his name- it wasn’t even a stage, or much of a crowd, for that matter. but, well, he figured everyone started from somewhere. his gaze traveled around the diner as he stepped inside, guitar in tow. there weren’t that many people, a little more than ten or so customers in booths and the counter. so no. this definitely wasn’t where rory dreamed of performing all his life. though, all the greats had started at these small settings, right?

he sure hoped so.

his dad was good friends with the owner of the place - his dad seemed to have connections with everyone in this city - and, although his parents weren’t exactly supporting their son’s dream career, they got him in touch with the diner’s owner. when rory had met the man and asked if he could play a few songs there, the man had been quick to say, “sure, go for it, kid.” on one side of the room there was a stool and two microphones, one for the guitar, one for rory, and rory contemplated if anyone had ever played, here. the few times he’d been in here, he hadn’t even noticed there was a little set-up in that corner. was he looking for an excuse not to play? maybe that was just his nerves getting the best of him… well, if worse came to worse, there were only a few people here. they probably wouldn’t even remember him.

that eased his nerves.

it didn’t take long to set up, and when he’d started playing, not that many people paid attention. who wouldn’t pay attention to a cash song? i keep a close watch on this heart of mine. it was quite obvious he was background noise. was johnny cash ever background noise at some local diner? i keep my eyes wide open all the time. the more he played, the less anxious he felt, and the less he cared if someone was listening, too. as he gazed lifted from the guitar, his eyes settled on someone in the diner who was looking over his way. actually listening. and something about the stranger instantly caught his eye.

though, he didn’t look for long before the other turned and went back to work- he worked there? he made the mental note to himself as his ran through his songs. his set-list hadn’t been that long; either that or time really flew once he was through with all the songs he’d chosen. just a few classics. oldies but goodies. “thank you,” he said into the microphone, and the two, three people applauding at least slightly helped his ego. definitely not the worst experience he’d had.

instead of leaving, though, he’d settled for sliding into a booth. might as well get a bite to eat… he figured, as he definitely hoped to meet that certain waiter he'd laid eyes on... and when he looked up to see the dark-haired man ready to wait his table, he couldn’t help but give a timid smile, turning his gaze towards the menu.

the man in front of him was so perfect. and nothing had really prepared rory in life for what happened when you met the man of your dreams. so, although it was killing him on the inside, he couldn’t possibly come on strong to the person in front of him. social anxiety really sucked at times.

“i’ll just have a burger and fries, please, uh-,” he turned his gaze up from the menu to the other’s name tag, squinting his eyes just the smallest bit before saying, “charlie.” something about the other just made butterflies come alive in his stomach. and rory knew that he’d never have the guts to actually talk to the waiter, never have the courage to outright ask him on a date. but rory knew that he’d find a way, somehow, to at least have this charlie guy take a chance on this timid character.

@truce.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:17:44 PM by inny. »

Offline truce.

• . . .
    • View Profile
Re: 「 the tie that binds 」- p.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 03:47:51 PM »

I'VE BEEN FACING TROUBLE ALMOST ALL MY LIFE
MY SWEET LOVE, WON'T YOU PULL ME THROUGH?
EVERYWHERE I LOOK I CATCH A GLIMPSE OF YOU
I SAID IT WAS LOVE AND I DID IT FOR LIFE, DID IT FOR YOU ...
~ trouble by cage the elephant

a
CHARLIE CHESTER.

"I know it's exciting to have live music but you gotta stop starin'. These drinks aren't gonna serve themselves!" Mr Parsons chuckled joyously, one hand on Charlie's shoulder as the brunet peered over at the new performer. Charlie huffed a short breath of laughter, gaze flickering over to the elderly man. "Hmm, good call." Charlie replied with amusement, a playful glimmer of a smile playing on his lips as he shot Mr Parsons a glance before picking up the tray of drinks and heading out to serve them. The diner definitely seemed to have a new lease of life with the new addition of live music - whatever Mr Parsons had agreed on with the Davenport family was quite possibly the best decision he'd made all year.

Mr Parsons was a good man. In a way, he was the father that Charlie's own father could never have been to him. Ever since he was thrown on the streets, Mr Parsons had always been there for Charlie. Hell, he'd even given Charlie a job, plus a place to park his car at the back so that he at least had a place to sleep. In Charlie's eyes, the diner was his home - the Parsons family slowly became like Charlie's family and the other staff were like good friends. Mr Parsons diner would seem incomplete without Charlie there. After all, Charlie had worked here for years, he even knew the regulars by name.

Lowering the drinks onto the tables, Charlie exclaimed, "The black coffee for you, James, of course with an extra sachet of white sugar - not brown. And the pink lemonade for you, Irene, no ice." He was met with the two cheerful smiles. Charlie always served James and Irene; they'd be in the diner three to four times a week. Every Saturday they'd also bring their two grandchildren, Olivia and Ava, for pancakes. Charlie liked to remember these things. After all, the customers loved nothing more than to feel special. Tucking the tray underneath his arm, Charlie ambled back behind the bar and eyes darting across the diner as a familiar tune began to play on the guitar. And then, the man began to sing.

"I Walk The Line. One of my favorite songs." Charlie noted with a soft grin on his face, nudging his co-worker as he passed her. "Oh, of course you'd know a song as old as this one sounds." She teased, cocking an eyebrow over at Charlie as he began to place plates of food on his tray. He huffed with amusement, peeking over his shoulder to her before quipping back, "Well I mean, who wouldn't?" And with that, he continued serving customers, just as he always would on a Thursday afternoon.

Throughout the setlist, the more Charlie grew to appreciate the redhead's taste in music. Every once in a while, whilst he wasn't too busy serving food and drink, he leaned over with his elbows resting on the counter, eyes gazing over whilst the performer sung his melodic tunes. His voice was... Beautiful, but Charlie didn't want to get too gushy. His arm jerked up to the sensation of his elbow being flicked, only for the same co-worker to smirk and comment, "You like what you see? Never seen you so infatuated since that one time Parsons made that stack burger for you after closing time." Rolling his eyes, Charlie straightened up and raised his eyebrows, "Not infatuated. Just like the song, s'all." But he knew that he couldn't bullshit Soph; she knew him like the back of her hand.

"Hm, all right Romeo. You better be getting back to work then, and if you're lucky I'll let you wait his table." She hummed before wandering into the kitchens. Charlie couldn't help but take one last good look at the performer, face quiet and deadpan as the two of them exchanged glances... And then Charlie got back to work.

He wanted to hope that Soph would keep her word. After all, Charlie wanted to at least compliment the redhead on his fantastic taste of music; if he was lucky enough he'd also be able to compliment him on his voice, too. And, after a quick nudge from Sophie, Charlie wandered over to said man's table after his performance was over, trying his hardest to not seem too eager. "Welcome to Parsons Diner, what can I get for you today?" Charlie tried his very best not to gaze over at the man, mainly because he didn't want to scare him away too soon. But, he couldn't help but softly peek over, smiling a quick closed lip smile. "Great choice. It'll be ready for you in just a moment." He spun on his heels swiftly and walked back, furrowing his eyebrows at Soph's cheeky grin on her face.

"What?" "You totally got shy." "I totally was just being professional." Charlie was quick to quip back, frowning even though he knew that Soph was more than definitely right. He did get shy, but could you blame him? "Talk to him! C'mon, Parsons won't care." Soph insisted whilst Charlie waited around for the redhead's food. Finally, he took the dish, glancing at Soph one last time before waltzing back to the table. "Here you go. I, uh... I hope you enjoy." He cleared his throat, freezing for a moment before turning to start walking away. He looked up at Soph who widened her eyes at him as if to say 'don't you dare', and so Charlie spun back on his heels very quickly and walked back to the booth. "Hey, uh... I really loved your set list. Johnny Cash? My favorite artist." He rushed over his words, hesitating before gesturing to the chair, "Could I... Sit here?"
◜ WISH YOU WERE HERE ◞
INFO. CHARACTERS.

Offline elysian.

• he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 11:33:10 AM »
rory davenport.
music had always been a passion of his. when he was a kid, he remembered his parents buying him a guitar and all other kinds of instruments. they’d forced him to take piano lessons, guitar lessons, singing lessons.. not so much so that their son could be a musician, but merely because it was something he’d showed interest in, and they had plenty of money to throw around for his passion. though, the more they began to realize he wanted to pursue music as an occupation, as something more than a hobby and passion, that was where they started to draw the line. they’d had big plans for him, shoes that they wanted him to fill. his parents were business-owners, and their only son needed to take their place.

but rory didn’t want that. the times he used to go and sit in his dad’s office, watching the workload that he had… the redhead didn’t want that. when he told his parents he didn’t want anything to do with business.. it was perhaps the only time he’d ever spoke against his parents. they didn’t take it well, but they weren’t completely heartless people. the two were still trying to get him as many connections as possible, still paid for literally everything for him, even though he had moved out and into an apartment of his own. he knew their patience was running thin, though, and that one wrong move, things might turn ugly rather quickly…

his gaze watched as the waiter - charlie - turned away and walked back to the kitchen. everything in him wanted him to say something, but he didn’t know what to say, or even where to start. he sat there and contemplated what he could say to the guy. “nice weather we’re having?” no. that wouldn’t work. “are you gay, too?” um. that was way too straightforward. catching his lip between his teeth, he lightly tapped his fingertips on the tabletop, both dreading and eagerly waiting for the waiter to come back. dreading it, because he didn’t know what to say. eagerly waiting because he was a hopeless romantic, nonetheless.

he gazed at the plate as it was placed on the table. “oh, uh- thank you.” nice one, rory. he sighed, defeated, and began to pick at his food -- but he barely even laid a finger on one of the fries before the brunet was back at his booth. the other was rushing over his words, and it was.. absolutely adorable. the corners of his lips lifted, a smile on his features that he couldn’t wipe off. for a moment, he hadn’t even realized the other had asked a question until a few seconds after the fact. sit? with rory? a shy smile plastered on his features, he gestured to the booth in front of him. “yeah- of course.”

it seemed like a good idea. that was, until the other man settled down in the seat in front of him, and he realized he still didn’t have anything to say. “uh-” wringing his hands together momentarily, he glanced over at charlie before settling his gaze down to the table, shy smile still on his lips. “i’m rory.” his gaze lifted to look at the other and - wow, those eyes… was it socially acceptable to stare at someone as much as rory had eyed the person in front of him?

he cleared his throat and settled for grabbing a fry, eating it and having an uneasy feeling in his stomach. he was totally blowing this, wasn’t he? rory was an introvert at best, and this situation wasn’t exactly one that introverts excelled in. “i grew up listening to him. cash,” he supplied, lifting his gaze to look at charlie, offering an easy smile. “oldies are kind of the only songs i- really like. and play..” what a lame conversation starter. still, the redhead tried to hang in, there. he didn’t want to lose the guy.

with a nervous laugh, he then murmured, “i’m sorry, i- uh. i’m not a very interesting person to talk to.” he felt apologetic, and also felt his hopes of getting to know this guy slowly dwindling by the moment. "um. tell me about yourself?" that wasn't the worst thing he could've picked, he decided.

Offline truce.

• . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 05:16:48 PM »

I'VE BEEN FACING TROUBLE ALMOST ALL MY LIFE
MY SWEET LOVE, WON'T YOU PULL ME THROUGH?
EVERYWHERE I LOOK I CATCH A GLIMPSE OF YOU
I SAID IT WAS LOVE AND I DID IT FOR LIFE, DID IT FOR YOU ...
~ trouble by cage the elephant

a
CHARLIE CHESTER.

Charlie was nervous - it wasn't often he would actually feel this flustered over talking to someone. He was a sensitive being, but he was also a sociable man. In fact, he was often associated with the words charming and talkative... But, it didn't mean that the redhead wasn't going to make Charlie fall speechless, reducing him to nothing more than a gawking mess. He was a smooth talker, but never when he actually genuinely found somebody attractive. If only this redhead knew about that, it'd make things a lot easier for Charlie...

But, Charlie had one shot. One shot; he could either completely win this man's heart or scare him away from the diner for good. Well... This was it. Clearing his throat, he cracked the smallest of smiles as the man accepted his request. Sliding into the booth slowly, he tried his hardest to hide the nervous smile that wanted to riddle his lips and show off to the redhead just how anxious he was; he could not screw this up. Not at all. He hesitated for a moment, glancing over towards Soph fleetingly before his gaze flitted over to the man in front of him. Rory... A fitting name for the man. "I'm Charlie." He introduced himself, trying to conceal his hands wringing together nervously beneath the table, hesitating before looking down at his name tag. Oh dammit. He was such an idiot; Rory already knew his name. Embarrassed, he tried to smile it off, glancing down at Rory's plate of food for a moment.

Soph had insisted that this was a good idea, but Charlie couldn't imagine anything worse. After all, all that he was doing was embarrassing himself right now, wasn't he? Rory would find it weird that Charlie was staring at his food like a begging dog, because Charlie didn't know where else to look. Oh come on - Soph believed in Charlie. She must've had good reason to insist he talk to Rory. And so, his confidence slowly began to return, leaning back in his seat and releasing a gentle sigh before beginning to grin. "That makes two of us. My dad used to play 'At Folsom Prison', like, every day." He returned, folding his arms across his torso comfortably. But, after that, Charlie didn't know what else he could say to Rory apart from ask for his number...

But he couldn't do that. That'd be strange.

"Yeah... I thought your performance was great. You really livened up the diner; I've not seen the customers so excited in a long while." Charlie couldn't help but finally compliment, insisting that Rory was as talented as one could possibly be. And, Charlie wasn't even too far from the truth. Sure, his opinion was merely subjective, but he could really appreciate somebody who could sing and play an instrument at the same time, and do so with as much talent as Rory.

He was hesitant as he tried to think of what else he could possibly say. He was most definitely screwing up his only chance to get to know this guy better, wasn't he? Peering across the table, becoming almost timid, his lips curled upwards into a small smile as Rory's oh-so-sweet laugh. He rolled his eyes, leaning forwards on the table slightly before contending, "I don't think so... I find you interesting, else I wouldn't be sitting here, would I?" He cleared his throat and leaned back into the seat at Rory's question. Well... At least one of them knew what to do, regardless of seeming shy. At least Rory seemed to want Charlie around, and that made him undeniably cheerful.

"Good question. What do you wanna know about me?" He paused for a moment in thought before adding, "I also wanna know how long you've been playing the guitar for, since we're getting to know each other. Must be ages. You're good at it."
◜ WISH YOU WERE HERE ◞
INFO. CHARACTERS.

Offline elysian.

• he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 06:56:16 PM »
rory davenport.
rory wished he could say that it was so unlike him to be this anxious. however, it would be more odd of him to be- oh, i don’t know, relatively normal? the redhead couldn’t quite decide, but he was sure that if he acted any different in this situation than his current state, he’d be worried. his parents were so talkative and charming; he wondered why he didn’t seem to inherit any of that. it was pretty easy to realize, though. rory had never had the chance to speak for himself. his parents had always done everything for him, his friends in high school always stuck up for him… he’d never needed to talk, because everyone else did it for him. it hadn’t seemed that bad at the time; he got anxious, and stepping out of his comfort zone was not an easy task. now, though, it definitely seemed like it was kicking him in the ass, wasn’t it?

charlie. the other saying his name, even though rory obviously already knew it, was enough for him to laugh softly. “you’re fine.” going out of his comfort zone was a task that was definitely avoided at all costs- but, with charlie, it definitely felt like it was worth the nerves and anxiety that came with it all. charlie was so handsome, and something about him just had rory driven to him instantly. rory didn’t even know if charlie was gay- but he didn’t have the heart to ask him. if he was gay, then that was good for rory- but the redhead wouldn’t have the guts to ask him out. if he wasn’t gay, then that only meant having the most embarrassing moment of his life with charlie realizing that rory thought he’d been hitting on him. yeah, rory would definitely rather assume for the best- because, after all, why would charlie have come over and sat by him if he wasn’t interested?

as the waiter complimented him, a bashful smile came to his lips, wringing his hands together. “aw, stop. nah... you think so?” the redhead didn’t receive those kinds of comments that often, but he was more than glad to see how many more compliments he could get. his self-confidence was incredibly fragile, and compliments at least somewhat helped build that confidence. a small part of him said that charlie was just saying that-- but a small part of him also wished that he was being genuine.

the other’s lips curled into a small smile, and he said the words that rory was sure would make him melt into a puddle right then and there. sure, it was nice to know his performance was liked, nice to know that he had a good taste in music-- but to be found interesting… he could feel his cheeks burn at the compliment. it was probably one of the things rory needed to hear the most. “maybe you’re only here to steal my fries,” he supplied timidly after a moment, meeting those beautiful blue eyes before picking up said fries, eating a few.

leaning back in thought at the other’s question, he hummed. what did he want to know about charlie? “what’re your favorite songs? top three? and, um… favorite- color?” dumbest things he could’ve thought of. but part of him had a plan to store those favorite songs for later. if he couldn’t wow charlie right now, then he could at least try and wow him later, by playing his favorite songs. as for his favorite color, rory had no idea what he would do with that information. “are you from here? live around here?”

it didn’t seem like rory was doing too hot-- but he was so interested in charlie, and he was really trying here. he was giving his best shot, and he could only hope that it’d possibly be enough to keep charlie’s company for a while longer.