Author Topic: The Border 「 fresh roses in my garden 」 open, joining  (Read 81 times)

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
「 fresh roses in my garden 」 open, joining
« on: February 06, 2019, 07:37:37 PM »
in trembling fingers, she held a picture. it was of a woman, and a man. the woman was tall and slender, with dark hair pulled back off of her face, blue eyes that caught the light in a vivid sort of way, and a pretty face. the man stood beside her, taller and more muscular, his eyes black and reflecting the smile on his lips, his hair more of a strawberry blonde. they were attractive no doubt, the sort of people who belonged in pictures, but they didn't care about the camera. no, their faces were trained on the baby between them. she was perhaps six months old, hair a wispy strawberry shade, her eyes just as blue as the womans, and she, unlike the couple doting over her, looked directly into the smile and grinned.

she looked at the camera, hope thought bitterly, not knowing what she had. six months old, so naive, so unknowing of what she had. two loving parents, a home, a place in the world. fifteen years later, the baby would become the young woman holding the photo, staring at it with teary eyes. fifteen years, and a grinning infant would transform into a teenager, trapped between child and adult, who'd been raised in a cruel world, who'd been hurt too many times to count. she was broken, a glued together mug. she might look relatively put-back-together, but the truth was, any liquid poured into her would leak right out, because glue didn't quite do the job. everyone always told her time would heal, but time, like glue, just didn't quite do the job.

❝i'm trying though guys,❞ she whispered, inaudible to anyone but her, and squeezed her eyes shut for a beat, the stinging tears subsiding, ❝i'm trying to be okay.❞ she sniffed a little, sniffed the pain away, and folded the picture in half along a very old and visible crease, slipping it back into her coat pocket. she was trying, and she had to believe they'd be proud of her for that much. she was trying to put herself back together, like they'd asked. she pretended she was fine, she was moving on, and she figured one day she might really do just that. but for now, she had to be content with the pretend thing.

she stood there at the border, looking tired but otherwise steady, ready for what might come next. auburn curls framing her face, a maroon sweater layered beneath a zip-up hoodie, black skinny jeans framing legs toned from years of training. she was fifteen, on the brink of sixteen, and though she was undeniably pretty, just like the woman in the photograph, she was undeniably jaded and her eyes, with just a glance, revealed a lifetime of hurt, of loss, of damage. she was damaged, but she was alright with that, she could live with that. because living with it meant she was alive, and she'd promised her father, sworn up and down, that she'd continue to live, even when he didn't. so she stood there, arms crossed over her stomach, freshly bitten lips pressed into a pout, hoping someone would show up and get all this over with.

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: 「 fresh roses in my garden 」 open, joining
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 08:09:54 PM »
People looking at Catalyst probably didn't think that they were broken. At least, not in the present day. They'd think there was something twisted, something bent, something not quite right. They were off, somehow, in a way that a normal, whole person wasn't. Some might think that they had been broken at one point, and had healed back badly, in all the wrong ways, never to truly be what they once were. (And they'd be right.)

Whatever kindness and empathy they had possessed twelve, thirteen years ago, it was just about gone. Burned away by the cruelty of others and cut off by Catalyst themself as they were forced to become cruel as well. You couldn't be the figurehead of a cult if you felt bad for the people your cult hurt, after all. Even now, they weren't hurrying to reattach the amputated parts of their personality, because their ruthlessness was still necessary. Even if they did want to renounce Catalyst, go back to just being Scott Mathew Darrow, how could they? Willing the scars to fully heal as smooth as before didn't mean they would.

But despite all of that, they were okay. Or as okay as they were going to get. They had everything they could want, didn't they? Their mother was here, they had power and a community and a purpose. Granted, it might be nice to actually have a bond with some of their fellow Badlanders, but they'd gone their whole life without having close connections to people. As much as they wanted to have real friends, they weren't sure they'd know how to be a friend, or how to simply have them. It was something they'd been denied their whole life, with the exception of Susie, so for as much as they yearned for companionship, they didn't know what they'd do if they actually had it.

Cat had been leading a border patrol when they happened across Hope. They stepped towards her, leaving enough distance between that she wouldn't feel threatened, and crossed their arms. "This is the Badlands, but since you're waiting oh-so-patiently by the border, I'm guessing you know that." They said, taking note of the little visible things. Another teenager. Great. "What are you doing here?"

Spoiler: IF YOU DONT KNOW NOW YOU KNOW && INFO && 02/04/19 • show
GENERAL   welcome to the end of eras, ice has melted back to life
⇥ Given name is Scott Mathew Darrow ⇥ Goes only by Catalyst or Cat
⇥ Assigned male at birth ⇥ Agender ⇥ They/Them pronouns only
Twenty-one ⇥ Born 11/27/17 ⇥ Sagittarius ⇥ Real time aging
Top Dog (leader) of the Badlands ⇥ Ex prisoner of the Badlands
⇥ Ex cultist (Mourningstar) ⇥ Ex member of the Young Rogues

RECENT EVENTS   done my time and served my sentence
⇥ 01/27/39 ⇥ Visited Flintlock Lodge
⇥ 01/21/39 ⇥ Reunited with their mother
⇥ 01/21/39 ⇥ Fought off Paige's attackers

APPEARANCE   dress me up and watch me die
⇥ Catalyst is 6'2" tall; they possess a lean and muscular body, one that has a variety of old scars adorning it. They have two piercings, one in their tongue and the other in the cartilage of their left ear. They typically dress in dark colors (favoring jackets with some sort of writing on the back), and their hair is black. They're not all dark, however, as they have pale blue eyes that peer out from beneath medium-sized eyebrows.

PERSONALITY   if it feels good, tastes good, it must be mine
⇥ Catalyst is ambitious, with the cunning and ruthlessness to reach their goals by any means necessary. They can be brutal when they feel it is needed, however when it's not they won't bother. They tend to be rather aloof and apathetic to most things and people, with some very rare exceptions. Provided those around them don't cross a few specific lines, they're content to leave them be, though they've been known to take an interest in some people, which seldom has a positive end for whoever their interest is in. They can be manipulative, and will often encourage people to make bad decisions. Those that stick by them will be rewarded, but those that do not will be cast out, as they've been outcast for their entire life and have learned to appreciate loyalty wherever they can find it. Even during the most stressful of situations, they usually keep a firm grip on their temper and keep their calm, though when they do snap and lose their temper, it is uncontrollable. They're remarkably observant, often able to deign much from subtle clues in what people say, how they say it and how they act.

RELATIONS   dynasty decapitated, you just might see a ghost tonight
⇥ Molly Darrow x Austin Darrow ⇥ No siblings
Pansexual/PanromanticSingle ⇥ No crushes or maybe crushes
⇥ Not looking but not not looking ⇥ Rarely forms romantic attachment
⇥ Holds most people at arms length and doesn't get close

INTERACTION   i'm taking back the c r o w n
Hard physicallyHard mentally ⇥ Doesn't let their guard down
⇥ Is most comfortable with close ranged-weapons ⇥ Dislikes guns
Brass knuckles ⇥ A variety of knives ⇥ Blunt objects like bats
⇥ Will kill/capture/maim in certain circumstances
⇥ Will leave things be in others ⇥ Will start & finish fights
⇥ No kill/capture/maim without permission
⇥ Peaceful powerplay allowed but they may react negatively
⇥ Dislikes almost any sort of touch unless they initiate or agree to it
YOU GOT ME COMING BACK FOR MORE
I'VE NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE

Re: 「 fresh roses in my garden 」 open, joining
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 11:39:02 PM »
Gabriel had come from what one would call a "picture perfect family" as well loving parents, two children, living a cozy two-story home nestled in a cul-de-sac. That had been what was once called "The American Dream", but alas it was not meant to be. Gabriel missed his family dearly, his sweet mother and his knowledgeable father and his often sassy little sister. He missed them all and longed to be with them again sometimes, but he also had hope that he could start something in the Badlands. He could begin a new life here, one that he would have never had back in the neighborhood.

This place had certainly changed the boy, though. For the better or for the worst? It depended on how one looked at it. Speaking of which, the brown-haired boy showed up near Catalyst, blue hues trained on the stranger. She seemed a bit... disheveled. He could only wonder who she was and what she was doing here. Saying nothing, as Cat had spoken first, he simply stood by just in case he had something to add.
LIKE A BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER
I WILL LAY ME DOWN