Author Topic: I HATE THAT YOU KNOW ME SO WELL [200th post oneshot]  (Read 95 times)

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
I HATE THAT YOU KNOW ME SO WELL [200th post oneshot]
« on: February 08, 2019, 12:09:12 AM »
C
atalyst

//TW for referencing violence and death? maybe other things too but it's not that bad.
//this takes place literally in the middle of town so feel free to have y/c witness any part of it aside from what's inside Cat's house. or just read and leave ooc comments. either/both are fine and appreciated

They didn't want to do much of anything today, just sit around and hear about all the places where Molly had been these last... almost twelve years. They didn't like volunteering anything about themself, but after each story she told she looked at them expectantly, and as the day went on she started prodding them more and more. They understood, they really did, why she wanted to know so desperately how they had gone from a shy-ish child that wouldn't hurt a fly to the monster they were today. But even if they knew all the words, all the parts of the story, how could they tell her?

How could they describe the Young Rogues, a group of kids and teens that hated adults and technology and the past, that went from place to place taking whatever they could use and slaughtering anyone that stood in their way? How could they tell her about the cult that deemed them a god, that forced them to kill and maim? How could they explain what they'd done since becoming leader here, and why they did it? She was bound to find out eventually, bound to see it herself, but that didn't make getting the words out any easier.

"Catalyst!" The sound of someone calling their name is both welcome and unwelcome. It's welcome because it's a break in the conversation, something to distract Molly from that pleading look on her face. It's unwelcome because it means they need to go deal with something, and dealing with things isn't how they wanted to spend their day. Still, they stood up, Molly on their heels, and headed over to the balcony to look outside. They arched an eyebrow at the NPC down below. "There's someone here to see you. A young woman named Susie? She's really insistent."

It felt like their stomach dropped into their feet. Their lips thinned, and suddenly telling Molly all about Mourningstar seemed like the more appealing option. But there was no way. If Susie was looking for them, and she was here, there was no way they could avoid her. "Stay here." They told Molly, heading back into the house so they could go downstairs. "I don't want you seeing this."

"Scottie? Who is she?" Molly asked, following them inside.

They halted for the briefest second. "An old friend."

It's true enough, they supposed. Of all the faces that had rotated in and out of their life, Susie's had certainly been the one they had been closest to. The only person that had ever really been their friend, the only person they'd ever come close to loving. And now she was here. Why was she here? They knew she had never planned on leaving her father's little town, but perhaps something had changed. After all, she had wanted to go with them when they left.

And there she was, striding towards them while another NPC chased after her. "She wouldn't wait by the border, she said if any of us stopped her there'd be hell to pay with you." He seemed rather ansty, as he should, frankly. Taking the stranger's word about what Cat would think instead of getting it directly from the Boss themself?

But Cat's eyes just landed on the young woman. She was older than they were, and in the nearly four years since they'd last seen each other, she'd gotten a new scar and grown her hair out after chopping it off before they left. It was still undeniably her, though. "And was I wrong?" She asked, flashing a smile that they knew too well to trust.

Their gaze flicked back to the Badlander, and they sighed. "No." Her smile broadened. "What are you doing here, Susie?"

The light on her face faded somewhat. "I remember when you'd exchange pleasantries before getting to business." They were unmoved. "It's good to see you again, Cat." She said, trying again. Still, they refused to budge. The remaining light drained away. "My dad just died."

Part of their shell cracked and broke away. They and the Constable didn't see eye to eye all that often, but they had no desire or wish for him to be hurt. "I'm sorry." It was a real, genuine apology. They knew how close she had been with her father. "But that still doesn't answer my question."

She crossed her arms and averted her gaze. "I missed you."

"Your dad just died and you're here. Either the bar's not safe for you anymore or you want something." Her eyes snapped back up to theirs, and they could see hurt and anger in them. Perhaps it was unkind for them to say that, it was insensitive and brash. They didn't care, they wanted to know why she was here so they could send her on her way.

She took a step towards them. The NPCs around them tensed, but Cat held up a hand. They didn't want anyone interfering. "I wanted to ask you to come back." The Badlanders' anxiety seemed to spike with the proposal, their eyes watching them intently.

The idea is repugnant, but they manage to keep their features blank, even though they wanted to curl their lip and wrinkle their nose. "Why." They meant it as a question, but couldn't be bothered to lilt their tone up. "You don't need me there to keep order, you can do that well enough on your own."

Susie crossed her arms. Their gaze dropped to the familiar meat cleaver at her hip for a moment, as if they needed reminding of what she was capable of. "Like I said. I missed you." She took another step closer. "Does it need to be more complicated than that? Do I need some ulterior motive?"

Maybe she had simply missed them, maybe she had just been lonely after the Constable's death and wanted someone there she knew and thought she could trust. But when were things ever that simple? "Yes."

She came even closer now; if they wanted they could reach out and touch her. "When did they make you such a cynic, Catalyst?" She asked softly. Another step closer. The NPCs were watching, rapt, as her gentle hand lifted up, finger tips tracing down the side of their face.

"You know when." They replied, voice almost as soft as hers. "Is Mourningstar still there?" A change of subject, but not as dramatic as an outsider would think.

Susie nodded. "Some of them have gone elsewhere, but a lot of them are still there. Louie still comes in almost every night." Cat scoffed. They bet he did. He could no more stay away from a drink than Michael could. "You won't come back because of them, will you?"

They shook their head. "It's not the only reason I won't go back, though." Her hand fell away. The disappointment was clear in her eyes. "I've made a life here, and I'm not interested in leaving it."

The young woman stepped back, and then started circling. She was like a shark, or a vulture, and they sensed it was only a matter of time before she darted in again. Cat remained still, eyes following her whenever she crossed in front of them, but they refused to turn their head. "I've heard all about your new life, Catalyst. Big shot Boss of the Badlands, no one dares question your orders here, do they? You get everything you want and then some." They hate it. They hate those words coming out of her lips, they hate that they rang true. "Everyone's scared to go against you." Jeez, first Hayley and now Susie? "Does anyone here... like you?"

There it was, the precise strike to a place that, coming from anyone else, they might be able to shrug off. But she knew why it would hurt. "Don't," they warned, but she continued.

"Don't you miss me? What we had." She paused, pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "Even before... that. Don't tell me you never wish you could go back to that."

Catalyst closed their eyes for a moment. They could lie so easily and say that the last time they'd thought of her was when they retreated from her window and left, they could lie convincingly and without much thought. But she'd see through it. She knew them too well. Too well. "Once in a while. Once in a while I wonder what you're doing, what we'd be doing if we were together again. And I can picture it easily. You'd call me out on something, I'd make you smile. I'd piss someone off and you'd yell at us to take it outside, then you'd cheer me on." She's in front of them again, so close they could feel her breath on their face. "If I got hurt, you'd patch me up. You'd tell me exactly why I was hurt, how I fugged up. You made it insufferable but I knew you didn't want me to make those same mistakes again."

She'd been exactly what they needed when they were in the midst of Mourningstar; an island of sanity in the sea of fanatics, someone to keep them humble when everyone else in their life regarded them as a god. "And no part of you misses that?" She whispered.

"A part of me does." Cat admitted. "But I have what I need here. That's the mistake you made, Susie, assuming that I couldn't find happiness without you. That the people here all hate me, that I hate all of them too."

She stared at them for a long moment. "People like you aren't happy, Cat - why are you smirking?"

They stepped back, putting some distance between the two of them as their hand flew to their mouth and they ducked their head. It was a bit more than smirking now. "I just noticed that I'm taller than you now." She hadn't been that much taller than them when they left, but after a last growth spurt or two, they had come out as the taller.

She slapped their arm, visibly frustrated. The NPCs tensed again, but Cat just laughed it off. "It's not funny!" They weren't sure what she was more annoyed by, them being taller or them interrupting her angsty assessment with something wholly contradictory to it.

"It kind of is, though." They straightened up, the smile still lingering on their face. "Look, I'm not going to change my mind. If you're gonna stay, you're gonna need to come up with a new reason to." They paused. "Besides, if I'm such an unhappy person, going back there wouldn't change a damn thing."

At long last, she seemed hopeless, resigned to the fact that she wouldn't be able to convince them to leave, no matter what manipulative tactic she took. She hugged her arms around her chest and glanced around. "You're just going to make me leave, just like that? After all that we've been through?" One last pitiful attempt to tug at them.

They pursed their lips, pale blue gaze rolling skyward as they pretended to consider it. "Yeah, after all that we've been through I'm gonna make you leave. Get a meal and spend the night if you need to, but if you're not gone by noon tomorrow I'm sending my Enforcers after you." Mike and Lake could forcefully remove her if they had to. Probably. They'd never seen anyone succeed in pushing her around, though, so who actually knew if even Mike and Lake would be enough. They didn't want to think about what would happen if the two of them weren't.

Susie lifted her gaze and glared at them. "Not willing to deal with me yourself?" She'd fully given up, now, was taunting them. They closed their eyes and took a deep breath. Just ignore her. If only it were that easy. "Why not? Are you a scaredy Cat?"

Yes. Deep down, they were. Every once in a while they would have nightmares about her meat cleaver, how at first everything would be so perfect, but then the moment would end and she'd grab their wrist and - they shook it off. They couldn't be scared, not now, not ever. And even if they still felt it, they couldn't show it.

So they opened their eyes, and then they were moving, one hand grabbing her throat and pushing her against the wall of the nearest building, the other clamping around the handle of her meat cleaver so she wouldn't be able to grab it and use it. "You've tested me this whole goddamn time and I've been quite civil all thing's considered. Another person wouldn't have been given the chance after barging into my territory. Maybe I wasn't nice to you, but you weren't nice to me. So you can shut the fug up and get out or shut the fug up and accept my generous hospitality while I still feel like offering it."

There was something like loathing in her eyes. Good. They didn't want her trying anything like this again. "Let go of me." She said, trying to keep her voice from wavering and only halfway managing. After a moment they released her and stepped back. One of her hands went to gently touch her throat, the other to the handle of her meat cleaver. They tried to keep themself calm, their face blank. She always touched it to reassure herself, that didn't mean that she was going to use it.

They started walking away, satisfied that they'd made their point. "Trust me, Susie. You don't want me dealing with you myself." It was at that point that they set their gaze back on their house, which was well within seeing distance and... Great, Molly was on the balcony. They couldn't make out her expression, but they could tell she'd seen the whole thing. Fantastic. Hopefully she hadn't heard everything too.

//this is totally up for replies but keep in mind that Gavril's gonna go say smth to Susie

Spoiler: IF YOU DONT KNOW NOW YOU KNOW && INFO && 02/07/19 • show
GENERAL   welcome to the end of eras, ice has melted back to life
⇥ Given name is Scott Mathew Darrow ⇥ Goes only by Catalyst or Cat
⇥ Assigned male at birth ⇥ Agender ⇥ They/Them pronouns only
Twenty-one ⇥ Born 11/27/17 ⇥ Sagittarius ⇥ Real time aging
Boss (leader) of the Badlands ⇥ Ex prisoner of the Badlands
⇥ Ex cultist (Mourningstar) ⇥ Ex member of the Young Rogues

RECENT EVENTS   done my time and served my sentence
⇥ 02/04/39 ⇥ Kissed Gavril
⇥ 02/04/39 ⇥ Returned from Flintlock
⇥ 01/27/39 ⇥ Visited Flintlock Lodge
⇥ 01/21/39 ⇥ Reunited with their mother
⇥ 01/21/39 ⇥ Fought off Paige's attackers

APPEARANCE   dress me up and watch me die
⇥ Catalyst is 6'2" tall; they possess a lean and muscular body, one that has a variety of old scars adorning it. They have two piercings, one in their tongue and the other in the cartilage of their left ear. They typically dress in dark colors (favoring jackets with some sort of writing on the back), and their hair is black. They're not all dark, however, as they have pale blue eyes that peer out from beneath medium-sized eyebrows.

PERSONALITY   if it feels good, tastes good, it must be mine
⇥ Catalyst is ambitious, with the cunning and ruthlessness to reach their goals by any means necessary. They can be brutal when they feel it is needed, however when it's not they won't bother. They tend to be rather aloof and apathetic to most things and people, with some very rare exceptions. Provided those around them don't cross a few specific lines, they're content to leave them be, though they've been known to take an interest in some people, which seldom has a positive end for whoever their interest is in. They can be manipulative, and will often encourage people to make bad decisions. Those that stick by them will be rewarded, but those that do not will be cast out, as they've been outcast for their entire life and have learned to appreciate loyalty wherever they can find it. Even during the most stressful of situations, they usually keep a firm grip on their temper and keep their calm, though when they do snap and lose their temper, it is uncontrollable. They're remarkably observant, often able to deign much from subtle clues in what people say, how they say it and how they act.

RELATIONS   dynasty decapitated, you just might see a ghost tonight
⇥ Molly Darrow x Austin Darrow ⇥ No siblings
Pansexual/PanromanticSingle ⇥ No crushes or maybe crushes
⇥ Not looking but not not looking ⇥ Rarely forms romantic attachment
⇥ Holds most people at arms length and doesn't get close

INTERACTION   i'm taking back the c r o w n
Hard physicallyHard mentally ⇥ Doesn't let their guard down
⇥ Is most comfortable with close ranged-weapons ⇥ Dislikes guns
Brass knuckles ⇥ A variety of knives ⇥ Blunt objects like bats
⇥ Will kill/capture/maim in certain circumstances
⇥ Will leave things be in others ⇥ Will start & finish fights
⇥ No kill/capture/maim without permission
⇥ Peaceful powerplay allowed but they may react negatively
⇥ Dislikes almost any sort of touch unless they initiate or agree to it

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:13:58 AM by 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭 »
YOU GOT ME COMING BACK FOR MORE
I'VE NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE

Offline gavril l.

• gavril "bats" lupei
  • ic opinions | @noccy
    • He/Him
    • View Profile
Re: I HATE THAT YOU KNOW ME SO WELL [200th post oneshot]
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 05:27:08 PM »
He looks like the good boy
he's never been.     
Except when they're yours, mi amor
He was part of the audience to this reunion, though he tried not to be. Gav tried to tune it out, though he did sometimes listen just out of curiosity. Cat knew her, she knew Cat. She wanted them to leave. Cat was apparently taller than her now? And of course, you then had them telling her to go. That's when Gav actually...turned to watch and be an actual viewer of this reunion.

He watched even after Cat left, curious if she'd leave or not. He stayed still for a while...she didn't leave. Eh, well, looks like none of the people who are supposed to deal with this were around. Gav walked over, noticing her meat cleaver and being damn happy he had his throwing axes on him should he need them. "Didn't they tell you to get the fuck out?" he wasn't sure if his thick accent would make him sound more intimidating or less understandable, but it was too late for that.
thes code

bio - inventory - pinterest - tags

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 10:27:04 PM »
C
atalyst

There were likely a great many things observers could take from the encounter, but if you boiled it down, that's really all it was, wasn't it? Someone from their past returning and trying to lure them back to a life they had left behind years ago. Well, not quite the same life. It sounded like what she was offering was different; more like stepping into the Constable's old shoes than their old ones. Not that it made it much better or more appealing.

Susie glared at Gavlin through narrowed eyes. "They also said I could stay and get some food. There's no rush." She wasn't intimidated, but she'd been dealing with all sorts of people of all shapes and sizes from just about every corner of the world with a broad range of weaponry - she wasn't going to be intimidated by a boy several years younger.

"She's headstrong but she's not completely stupid, you can leave it, Gav. C'mon." They had turned their head to the side but wouldn't fully look back. They waved their hand, beckoning him to follow them. For whatever reason, Cat wasn't too keen on the idea of Gavlin talking to Susie for a prolonged period of time. God knows what she might say to him.

Spoiler: IF YOU DONT KNOW NOW YOU KNOW && INFO && 02/08/19 • show

⇥ 02/07/39 ⇥ Reunited with Susie
⇥ 02/05/38 ⇥ Started their revenge on Jeremy

⇥ Catalyst is 6'2" tall; they possess a lean and muscular body, one that has a variety of old scars adorning it. They have two piercings, one in their tongue and the other in the cartilage of their left ear. They typically dress in dark colors (favoring jackets with some sort of writing on the back), and their hair is black. They're not all dark, however, as they have pale blue eyes that peer out from beneath medium-sized eyebrows.

⇥ Catalyst is ambitious, with the cunning and ruthlessness to reach their goals by any means necessary. They can be brutal when they feel it is needed, however when it's not they won't bother. They tend to be rather aloof and apathetic to most things and people, with some very rare exceptions. Provided those around them don't cross a few specific lines, they're content to leave them be, though they've been known to take an interest in some people, which seldom has a positive end for whoever their interest is in. They can be manipulative, and will often encourage people to make bad decisions. Those that stick by them will be rewarded, but those that do not will be cast out, as they've been outcast for their entire life and have learned to appreciate loyalty wherever they can find it. Even during the most stressful of situations, they usually keep a firm grip on their temper and keep their calm, though when they do snap and lose their temper, it is uncontrollable. They're remarkably observant, often able to deign much from subtle clues in what people say, how they say it and how they act.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:27:19 PM by Bryne »

Offline gavril l.

• gavril "bats" lupei
  • ic opinions | @noccy
    • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 11:29:40 PM »
he's never been.     
He rolled his eyes at her reply. Her glare did nothing to him, it didn't scare him or make him nervous. She almost reminded him of a certain female Romanian, one that he despised greatly. Honestly there wasn't really a way to describe how he felt, but Susie was definitely reminding him of Andrada somehow. This wasn't good for anyone. 

"They also said I could stay and get some food. There's no rush." "Yeah, they said you could stay, but we both damn well know that nobody fucking wants you to" his tone was cold, careless, not a usual tone that would come from him. It was probably easy to argue he was easier to intimidate than others, but he didn't seem to phased by the slightly older woman in front of him. Though she did look like someone he would've gotten along with in Romania, in another life. But now? Eh.

Cat spoke, "She's headstrong but she's not completely stupid..." he smirked "You sure about? Seeing as she's still here I'd say she's stupid." "...you can leave it, Gav. C'mon." he glanced between the two before walking towards Cat, not making anymore comments and shoving his hands in the pocket of his jeans. However he did listen carefully for any sort of movement from behind him, he'd throw an axe if he really had to.
thes code

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 12:04:36 AM »
C
atalyst

Susie bared her teeth at Gavril, looking very much as if she wanted to fight him but staying close to the wall. She knew better than to try anything with any of Cat's people, especially with so many witnesses, let alone with Cat being one of them.

"Gav." They said again, their voice losing some of its previous patience. Finally he was there beside them, and they wrapped an arm around his shoulders. They were still keenly aware of Molly watching all of this, and could feel Susie's eyes boring into their back. "Don't be unkind to her, if it weren't for her I probably wouldn't still be standing here today." It was the honest truth, and perhaps would shed some light on why they had been so lenient.

Offline gavril l.

• gavril "bats" lupei
  • ic opinions | @noccy
    • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 01:35:18 AM »
he's never been.     
He grinned when Susie bared her teeth, his little vampire teeth visible. It wasn't a threat, nor a warning, but it could probably be taken as such depending on the person. There was one strong difference between her and Andrada, she worried about witnesses and who was around, Andrada hadn't. This was something Gav sort of noticed, how Susie didn't dare to really do anything. How interesting.

He looked at Cat upon hearing his name, an eyebrow raised in question. He was being perfectly civilized, he didn't see what the problem was. He was a pure angel. Gav wouldn't so much as flinch as he felt their arm wrap around their shoulders, as if this was something that happened all the time when it didn't. Never had actually. "I'm not being unkind, I'm being completely honest" he explained innocently, knowing damn well he was being a little brat. "Though I do appreciate that she kept you alive, since otherwise I wouldn't have met you" he muttered, loud enough for just Cat to hear.
thes code

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 05:11:17 PM »
C
atalyst

Back home, Susie never had to fear anything. To mess with her was a death sentence, either by her hand or her father's. But her father's protection didn't extend here, certainly not now that he was dead. Whatever protection she had here came from her own capabilities and her history with Catalyst. But that second protection was frail as it was, and the first wouldn't be enough to hold back the entirety of the Badlands. So she waited for a safe moment to leave.

"I might not come from the politest society, but even there calling someone stupid is considered unkind and rude." They were just about in front of Cat's house. They looked up at the balcony, where Molly was waiting with crossed arms. "I've got a lot of explaining to do now." They muttered under their breath. "First Susie and now you." Somehow explaining Gavril seemed far harder than explaining the woman with the meat cleaver.