Author Topic: 「 four weddings and a funeral 」 — open, flintlockers  (Read 213 times)

Offline hayley

• View Profile
「 four weddings and a funeral 」 — open, flintlockers
« on: February 09, 2019, 03:08:24 PM »
well shit, talk about killing two birds with one stone. jackson kenner found himself seated upon his horse, some brown one hayley really liked named tucker, several flintlockers behind him, all atop horses of their own. it made the trip three times as fast, which was pretty important, considering half a dozen of flintlock's healthiest adults had come along with him. they had plenty to spare these days; it seemed that, for once, the group was doing well. sure, hope was colicky, and half the people who turned up were half dead, but they recovered fast, and hayley spent nearly her entire mornings in the greenhouse, ensuring they had enough food for all of the mouths.

and he came baring news, very good news, but there was... other news first.

so as the horse slowed to a stop, jackson didn't bother getting off, though he did shrug off his outermost coats, more than a little warm now that he was off of the mountain. ❝no one start shit.❞ he called over his shoulder in a warning to his group before returned his eyes forward. eventually, someone moved out of the woods, and jackson cleared his throat. ❝we'd like to speak to your leader,❞ he said, feeling very martian-esque, ❝we've got good news and bad news, it's their call which they want to hear first.❞
make your girlfriend mad tight, might seduce your dad type

Offline hayley

• View Profile
Re: 「 four weddings and a funeral 」 — open, flintlockers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 03:08:46 PM »
☁  leader sub track

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 03:17:19 PM »
C
atalyst

They hadn't been expecting to see a delegation from Flintlock so soon, no, they'd been expecting the return of Michael. He'd offered to bring a gift of moonshine up to the Lodge, and Cat had granted him permission to do so. There now being Flintlockers here now (specifically the handsome mountain man on horseback along with a small party) could not be good. "Give me the news about Ford first." They growled, knowing that it was most likely bad - he'd done something stupid, he had died on the journey, he drank all the moonshine, they didn't know for sure. If things had gone according to plan, though, it would be him standing there, not Jackson.

//this is shit I'm sorry

Spoiler: IF YOU DONT KNOW NOW YOU KNOW && INFO && 02/08/19 • show
GENERAL   welcome to the end of eras, ice has melted back to life
⇥ Given name is Scott Mathew Darrow ⇥ Goes only by Catalyst or Cat
⇥ Assigned male at birth ⇥ Agender ⇥ They/Them pronouns only
Twenty-one ⇥ Born 11/27/17 ⇥ Sagittarius ⇥ Real time aging
Boss (leader) of the Badlands ⇥ Ex prisoner of the Badlands
⇥ Ex cultist (Mourningstar) ⇥ Ex member of the Young Rogues

RECENT EVENTS   done my time and served my sentence
⇥ 02/07/39 ⇥ Reunited with Susie
⇥ 02/05/38 ⇥ Started their revenge on Jeremy
⇥ 02/04/39 ⇥ Kissed Gavril
⇥ 02/04/39 ⇥ Returned from Flintlock
⇥ 01/27/39 ⇥ Visited Flintlock Lodge
⇥ 01/21/39 ⇥ Reunited with their mother
⇥ 01/21/39 ⇥ Fought off Paige's attackers

APPEARANCE   dress me up and watch me die
⇥ Catalyst is 6'2" tall; they possess a lean and muscular body, one that has a variety of old scars adorning it. They have two piercings, one in their tongue and the other in the cartilage of their left ear. They typically dress in dark colors (favoring jackets with some sort of writing on the back), and their hair is black. They're not all dark, however, as they have pale blue eyes that peer out from beneath medium-sized eyebrows.

PERSONALITY   if it feels good, tastes good, it must be mine
⇥ Catalyst is ambitious, with the cunning and ruthlessness to reach their goals by any means necessary. They can be brutal when they feel it is needed, however when it's not they won't bother. They tend to be rather aloof and apathetic to most things and people, with some very rare exceptions. Provided those around them don't cross a few specific lines, they're content to leave them be, though they've been known to take an interest in some people, which seldom has a positive end for whoever their interest is in. They can be manipulative, and will often encourage people to make bad decisions. Those that stick by them will be rewarded, but those that do not will be cast out, as they've been outcast for their entire life and have learned to appreciate loyalty wherever they can find it. Even during the most stressful of situations, they usually keep a firm grip on their temper and keep their calm, though when they do snap and lose their temper, it is uncontrollable. They're remarkably observant, often able to deign much from subtle clues in what people say, how they say it and how they act.

RELATIONS   dynasty decapitated, you just might see a ghost tonight
⇥ Molly Darrow x Austin Darrow ⇥ No siblings
Pansexual/PanromanticSingle ⇥ No crushes or maybe crushes
⇥ Not looking but not not looking ⇥ Rarely forms romantic attachment
⇥ Holds most people at arms length and doesn't get close

INTERACTION   i'm taking back the c r o w n
Hard physicallyHard mentally ⇥ Doesn't let their guard down
⇥ Is most comfortable with close ranged-weapons ⇥ Dislikes guns
Brass knuckles ⇥ A variety of knives ⇥ Blunt objects like bats
⇥ Will kill/capture/maim in certain circumstances
⇥ Will leave things be in others ⇥ Will start & finish fights
⇥ No kill/capture/maim without permission
⇥ Peaceful powerplay allowed but they may react negatively
⇥ Dislikes almost any sort of touch unless they initiate or agree to it

I've been defeated I begged for what I needed
I suffered now I'm ready for war

Offline 𝐆𝐀𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐋

• ‘ 童子 ’
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 04:33:23 PM »
Gabe was on the same boat as Catalyst, considering that he hadn't expected to see so many Flintlockers at once. He had noticed a semi-large gathering at the border, including the Boss, so he decided to go see if he was needed or if this was... some sort of private chat. Something about this made Gabriel uneasy though, considering that Catalyst was outnumbered. Flintlock Lodge had agreed on neutrality, yes, but what if something had happened to change their mind? Gabriel didn't want Cat to get into an altercation with these people.

The teenager arrived, shotgun in hand but pointed down as a show of submission. He didn't want to make Cat or the Flintlockers suspicious of him, but the only reason he had it with him was because he had already taken it with him when he headed out. Had he known sooner that these people were coming, he would have left it at home. For now, Gabriel simply stood a few paces in the back of the Boss, looking up at the horseback visitors for a reply to Cat's question. What had happened to Michael?
LIKE A BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER
——————————— I WILL LAY ME DOWN

Offline hayley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 10:11:23 PM »
sure enough, cat appeared, and jackson sighed when they demanded the information about... ford. who the hell was ford? jackson realized that it was probably a surname, and that, while michael had probably said it, he hadn't... remembered it. great, one point to him for being a crappy messenger.

❝if you mean michael,❞ he said, jaw clenched, ❝then that would be the bad news. upon his arrival, he and brendan had a spat. brendan prodded him with a stick, and michael felt that was cause enough to punch him- hard enough to draw blood. there was a kick, then another punch, it was all pretty messy, but hayley intervened in time. she was real upset though, brendan's not only one of her highest advisors, but he's only a kid, hardly fourteen. even if he full out punched michael, the kid has hardly started puberty, nothing about what happened was fair.❞ jackson explained with another sigh, shifting in his seat upon the horse.

❝hayley's got a sense of justice, though. she don't want hope growing up in some world where violence is returned with violence. we held a trial for him, it was pretty open and shut considering he had no case for his guilt, brendan was alive but a little roughed up and we all witnessed it. he was sentenced to three weeks imprisonment. two meals a day, enough calories to live but leave him tired, you don't gotta worry about him losing weight, it's enough for him to maintain considering he won't be getting exercise. nothin' to entertain him either, no books or company, just him and his thoughts.❞ the horse, seemingly restless, shifted and started to move, but he tugged the reins and he stilled. ❝you're invited to come visit him if you'd like, see that he's alive and in decent conditions. he ain't happy, and he ain't comfortable, but he's learnin' his lesson.❞

he would have given time for it to all settle, but he figured following the bad news with the good might have some calming effect. he didn't know cat much, but he figured they might be a little pissed off, either with flintlock or with michael. maybe even both.

❝hayley and i are also getting married, almost two weeks from now, thirteen days to be exact. we'd love for the badlands to attend the wedding.❞ he explained, offering a half smile. ❝it's at a secondary lodge near the base of the island, a tourist-y place in the old days. real pretty, lots of alcohol and music. the ceremony's gonna start at sunset, y'all are welcome to stay the night there as well and head out in the morning. black tie event, obligatory warning that everyone, badlanders and flintlockers alike, are gonna have their weapons removed at the door.❞ pausing, remembering the conversation he and hayley had, he focused his gaze on cat. ❝and i'd like to invite you to be one of my groomsmen. or, uh,❞ he rubbed the back of his neck as he searched for the word, ❝grooms... person?❞

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 11:17:45 PM »
C
atalyst

A groan escaped their lips and they put their head in their hands. "He had one job. One fugging job, bring some moonshine as a show of friendship and as thanks." Thanks for the drink and coat the happy couple had given Gabe, specifically. "I'll swear it, if you like." They knew how it looked, one of their high positions, their Enforcer, no less, went and attacked the boy that had given Catalyst and Gabe grief. "Believe it or not people like me do find things to hold sacred."

Not God or anything like that, something that was both more complicated and far simpler than that. Fate. She guided their every step, every word, nothing happened that she didn't decide. It was funny how freeing it could be, not to truly believe in free will. But even if she were the one that was truly responsible for what happened between Brendan and Michael on that mountain, they still wouldn't change the punishment. That was fate too.

The revelation that the boy was one of Hayley's highest advisers was an... interesting one. They couldn't help but wonder what the boy had done to deserve such an esteemed position, he didn't really... seem like all that much. Then again, neither did Gabe, who wasn't much older and an Officer of the Badlands. But Catalyst wasn't sure they'd really consider him an adviser, more of an apprentice than anything else.

The idea of going back up to Flintlock made them grimace; the journey had been unpleasant thanks to the cold, but they knew they should go. At least they knew what to expect. "I'll go but I hope you'll give me a chance to bundle up first. Your weather is ghastly."

A wedding. Huh, great, it looked as if they'd be making two trips up there this month. Marvelous. Still, something cheery would probably do the Badlands good. There was far too much darkness hanging around them of late, lives lost and blood spilled, that sort of thing. "We'll be there." They promised, squinting as Jackson asked them to be a groomsman, though it was a pleasant surprise when he corrected himself and said groomsperson. They didn't know he had any idea they were agender, but the effort was still appreciated. They didn't stop squinting though, because they had a question. "Would I have to throw you a bachelor party?"

Oh yes, and that was nothing for the other question the invitation raised: why the hell was there to be a wedding when Jackson had already referred to Hayley as his wife?

Spoiler: IF YOU DONT KNOW NOW YOU KNOW && INFO && 02/08/19 • show

⇥ 01/21/39 ⇥ Reunited with their mother
⇥ 01/21/39 ⇥ Fought off Paige's attackers

⇥ Catalyst is 6'2" tall; they possess a lean and muscular body, one that has a variety of old scars adorning it. They have two piercings, one in their tongue and the other in the cartilage of their left ear. They typically dress in dark colors (favoring jackets with some sort of writing on the back), and their hair is black. They're not all dark, however, as they have pale blue eyes that peer out from beneath medium-sized eyebrows.

⇥ Catalyst is ambitious, with the cunning and ruthlessness to reach their goals by any means necessary. They can be brutal when they feel it is needed, however when it's not they won't bother. They tend to be rather aloof and apathetic to most things and people, with some very rare exceptions. Provided those around them don't cross a few specific lines, they're content to leave them be, though they've been known to take an interest in some people, which seldom has a positive end for whoever their interest is in. They can be manipulative, and will often encourage people to make bad decisions. Those that stick by them will be rewarded, but those that do not will be cast out, as they've been outcast for their entire life and have learned to appreciate loyalty wherever they can find it. Even during the most stressful of situations, they usually keep a firm grip on their temper and keep their calm, though when they do snap and lose their temper, it is uncontrollable. They're remarkably observant, often able to deign much from subtle clues in what people say, how they say it and how they act.

⇥ Peaceful powerplay allowed but they may react negatively
⇥ Dislikes almost any sort of touch unless they initiate or agree to it

I've been defeated I begged for what I needed
I suffered now I'm ready for war

Offline 𝐆𝐀𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐋

• ‘ 童子 ’
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 11:28:51 AM »
GABRIEL GRIFFIN
WHY ARE YOU SO FAR AWAY FROM ME? I NEED HELP AND YOU'RE WAY ACROSS THE SEA.
Upon hearing the anxiously-awaited information about Michael, Gabriel could not help the mental facepalm that he felt burning into his features. Ugh; beating up children? Again? When would that man learn? His fellow Officer had an anger problem or something, and Gabriel knew that for a fact, but now it had landed him in much deeper crap this time around. Locked up for three weeks in a subzero environment with minimal rations and nothing but his own thoughts? He wondered if that would serve Michael a lesson... though he didn't count on it.

Catalyst seemed as frustrated — if not, more — than he was, and rightfully so. They were the leader, and Michael's actions reflected back onto them whether they liked it or not. At least these do-gooder Flintlockers were more merciful to the Officer and to them as a result; he had heard the stories of the Not-So-Forgiving groups that dwelled out there.

There was nothing much to do about the situation, nothing else but to simply let it pass. Mike would be back in no time, and until then, he was... the only second-in-command under the Boss. Was that right? Him? Hopefully nothing happened to Catalyst in the span of three weeks, then, because he would have no idea how to take charge should anything occur.

The teenager sent a glance in the direction of the Boss as they agreed to travel to the Lodge to visit the imprisoned Officer. A knot immediately formed in his stomach as he realized that he would have to take charge quicker than he would have liked. Oh well, it wouldn't be too long, he told himself. Could he be sure that this was genuine and not a death-trap? No, but for the sake of his own sanity, he would need to force himself to bite the bullet and wait until Catalyst returned.

Now, for the aforementioned good news — a wedding, between... him and the leader lady? This was certainly news to him, and it prompted a subtle raise of his eyebrows. Gabriel had never actually attended a wedding before, seeing as most people tended to skip the celebration in an impoverished world without electricity, money, or resources. Perhaps it was easier to do things in a commune? This intrigued the boy. How did weddings even... work? He assumed it was just like any other party, minus the fact that the celebration revolved around a couple declaring their love for each other in an official fashion. And the fact that the Badlands — the thugs, the thieves, the killers — were invited to go? Well, like the man said, any and all weapons would be removed at the entrance. Smart. Gabriel knew more than a few people who were quite trigger-happy.

Lastly, Catalyst was invited to be a "groomsperson". The term sounded vaguely familiar, though Gabriel couldn't quite place an exact definition to it. He knew what a bride and groom were, but the other roles were lost on him. Well, whatever it was, it sounded important. It looked like they were all going to the wedding indeed... Now, it would be a miracle if these people somehow behaved themselves at the formal event.

OFFICER OF THE BADLANDS / CLICK FOR BIOGRAPHY
LIKE A BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER
——————————— I WILL LAY ME DOWN

Offline van

• Community Assistant
  • A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' second year! Art by Hootowls. A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' first year! Art by Hootowls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 12:07:24 PM »
hope, on the other hand, had been to several weddings in her life. she'd been a baby when she'd attended her mother and her step father's wedding, too young to remember. he'd died soon thereafter, so she didn't remember him much either. she'd also attended her aunts wedding to her now wife, which had been a small, quiet affair. she and her father had more recently attended a wedding of one of his friends, and it was there that she'd first met landon. it was suffice to say that she was more than familiar with weddings.

michael, on the other hand, she hardly knew. it brought a frown to her features, hearing of what had happened, and she understood that he held rank within the group, but him not exactly being around didn't much affect her. they were letting him live though, and apparently not dealing him injury as bad as he'd received, so that was a pro in her eyes; in her fathers old group, they certainly would have done as much, assuming they'd even let michael live.

❝good luck,❞ she said with a nod to cat, hands stuffed in the pockets of her unzipped hoodie, knowing flintlock was cold, but not knowing just how cold. her brain was buzzing with the thoughts of the wedding though; she'd need to find a dress and some shoes, and probably a coat. the man had mentioned it was at the base of the mountain, but she didn't doubt it would still be cold and snowy there. and she'd have to get herself a date to the wedding, find someone to go as friends, except not really as friends.
a weekend on a boat in california
memes available upon request    —    van#5054

Offline hayley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 12:01:44 PM »
cat offered to swear on the matter, but jackson shook his head immediately. ❝don't worry, we trust you. brendan's upset about it all, but you apologizing to him might not do more bad than good.❞ he explained, rubbing the back of his neck. he didn't know the whole story of brendan and the badlands, and hayley hadn't ever wanted to tell, but she'd made it clear enough that it was a dark and bloody one. he couldn't expect the kid to hold hands and sing kumbaya, but he had to hope one day the kid would find it in him to forgive and forget. you couldn't lead a happy life holding a grudge like that.

he was in the process of removing more layers as catalyst spoke about needing more layers, and that made him laugh. ❝oh yeah, go right ahead, can't blame you there if this is your people's idea of winter.❞ he said, clearly amused as he was left in nothing but a flannel, of which he rolled up the sleeves on. ❝i'm pretty sure our summers ain't even this warm.❞ it was not, in fact, terribly warm, but in comparison to flintlock, where the highest temperature most days was barely negative twenty, it was like he was in the bahamas. after so long, you get so used to the cold, that at it's warmest the inside of the lodge was maybe in the early seventies, and it was comfortable. really, catching a glimpse of what the badlanders lived in made them seem not nearly as bad; he'd like to see them survive a week in a place like flintlock and keep all their fingers and toes.

at the inquiry of a bachelor party, jackson quickly shook his head no. ❝i don't really want to celebrate life before hayley and hope. it wasn't much of a life, just drinkin' and farmin' and... existin'. now i've got a purpose, and i'm happy as hell for it.❞ he said, smiling like some giddy teenage boy at the mention of his new family. if only hayley had stuck around longer, he could have gotten through all of it sooner, instead of missing an entire seven months.

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 09:32:59 PM »
C
atalyst

Cat's gaze flicked skyward as they tried to understand the strange way that Jackson had phrased it. They lifted a hand, one finger pointed outward while the rest were at least partially curled. "Are you saying that apologizing to Brendan might help or hurt things?" Maybe it wouldn't do anything, and the words would just sit there, unbelieved and unaccepted.

Cat scoffed and rolled their eyes. "We live in a sensible climate. Forgive me for not being used to your blistering winter." At his answer to their question about the bachelor party, they shrugged. Wonderful, less work for them to do. "How romantic of you." They wondered if Austin had been this excited about marrying their mother, if he'd had that kind of joy at being Molly's husband. They brushed it off; if they continued down that rabbit hole they'd surely just become sad, and now wasn't the time.

"Hope, see if the Lodgers need anything to eat or drink before we set out. Gabe, come with me." With the senior of their Officers locked up, that left Gabe to keep an eye on things. He'd need instructions on what to do while they were away, and, since the paranoia wouldn't leave them be, what to do if they didn't come back. "I need to speak to you and Molly before I go. Oh, and Jackson," they added, turning back to the future groom, "I've not got a horse. That won't be an issue, will it?" They had an easy, almost friendly smile on their face, casually concealing the threads of suspicion they had.

Spoiler: IF YOU DONT KNOW NOW YOU KNOW && INFO && 02/11/19 • show

⇥ 02/11/99 ⇥ Got drunk