Author Topic: CARRY ME HOME | JOINING, O  (Read 93 times)

Offline ALVIN JR.

• View Profile
CARRY ME HOME | JOINING, O
« on: February 11, 2019, 06:08:01 PM »
It's been a month or two since Aj had last been on the road, but it doesn't take him long to yield to its familiar lifestyle. He harvests a weapon, a rusty but resistant object that's nearly taller than him, but could knock out a raider if they mistake him for an easy target. He'd managed to restore his backpack. It carries basic necessities to survival, including a canteen bottle and small cans of food he'd stolen from under a Christmas tree they hadn't taken down yet. But it was missing one thing. His pistol, something those crazy ladies in the black dresses must have gotten rid of upon his arrival of St. Jude's Catholic School. He can't understand why there was a strict 'No Gun' policy, what else would protect them in the face of danger? Apparently some existential being. But Aj doubted it. That's why he had to run away, because he doesn't belong, and also he has to find her.

"Promise me you'll wait." He never really could until the last day, and even then, he only tells her what she wants to hear. From as long as he could remember, it's always been him and Nellie, but all of that changed when she'd decided that there was a mission that she had to attend to alone, that it wasn't safe enough for him. But Aj doesn't get it. She always told him that he was someone who could handle himself far better than a real human, that him being born into the post-apocalypse gave him that advantage. So why couldn't he just be there? So she has someone there to watch her back? Out of all places, too, it has to be a place that had boring meetings that he calls mass and where the first set of kids he'd ever seen in his life were bitter and withdrawn, having no clue even how to defend themselves. It went up against everything that he and Nellie were, and he tried to be okay with it, but he couldn't. So he planned and waited patiently until thunder struck the sky before climbing out the window while his roommate, Jasper, slept soundly in his bed. When he finds her, she'll maybe be upset but she'll understand. She'd have to.

It's day two of his travels, and he's thirsty, starving. His canteen is nearing empty, and he knows that he must ration the cheese and crackers, or else he'd have next-to-nothing. Nellie was always best of seeking out the water source, from rivers to wells, but Aj is too impatient to stay there for too long and listen to nothing. Luck is on his side, though, for as he treads forward, is when he hears it: the indistinguishable sound of water. He quickens his pace, careful not to catch the attention of any looters scouting the area of this neighborhood, eyes brightening once he sees it, but he doesn't think he's seen anything quite like it before. It wasn't an river, rivers were far smaller than this. This seems to go on forever.

"Woah." His legs can't carry him fast enough. He falls onto his knees hands, digging into the grainy texture of the ground, holding it up to his face as it slips between his fingers. "Dirt?" He murmurs. Lighter browned dirt. The water seemingly reaches for it before falling back again, reminding him of his initial goal. Slipping off his backpack, he takes out the canteen bottle, filling it up, wasting no time to put it to his lips. What he'd expected to be cool and refreshing, instead tasted like he'd just downed a bottle of salt. Scowling, he spats out the substance. "Gross. What is wrong with this water!" He exclaims. So distracted, he'd miss the person approaching him until they spoke. The person holds no ill-will, no intent, and yet he reacts the only way he knows how. Instinctively. It's instinct to grab the metal bar, instinct to turn around to whack whatever raider was coming to steal his things, only gaining one unfortunate victim a blow to their head.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 07:17:35 PM by ALVIN JR. »

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
Re: CARRY ME HOME | JOINING, O
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 06:49:51 PM »
hope had been on a walk. it wasn't a patrol, she wasn't looking for trouble, just walking, trying to forget about all the bullshit buzzing about in her head. a birthday coming up, a holiday of heartbreak, a wedding, and more so, an anniversary of the day that ruined her life. she hated it, hated the pain of heartbreak, she hated the memories of it all. landon existing in the same plane of existence of her didn't make it any easier, however; he was going to make her tear her hair out one of these days. he hadn't really said much to her, though, and he was smart not to; the further he kept from her, the better off they'd both be.

however, the sight of a boy distracted her immediately from the thoughts and the brooding, and instead her brows raised. he was small, couldn't be more than ten years old, well dressed all things considered.

❝hey,❞ she said, brows furrowed as she moved closer, ❝kid, are you-❞ then, out of nowhere, a metal rod came swinging, knocking the girl off of her feet, and right out of consciousness. a bruise immediately began to form on the side of her head, along with a bit of blood on the injured flesh. she crumpled on the ground right there, cornflower colored eyes fluttering as she fought to hold on to consciousness, before inevitably losing the fight and passing out with a slight sigh.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 06:52:10 PM by HOPE »

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 07:07:05 PM »
GABRIEL GRIFFIN
WHY ARE YOU SO FAR AWAY FROM ME? I NEED HELP AND YOU'RE WAY ACROSS THE SEA.
( mentions of blood )

Gabriel had obliged to take up some sort of guard duty that day, patrolling the streets confidently now that he was armed with a full-blown shotgun. Whereas months prior he was empty-handed with nothing but minimal survival instincts and naivety, now he felt like he was living up to his position as Officer.

He hears a thud upon the sandy shores, and Gabriel stops in his tracks. That sounds heavy, like someone had fallen. He turned over his shoulder, only to catch a split-second of a girl falling in the sand. Gabriel peered further, recognizing that Hope had been knocked clean off her feet by... whoever that was. It was a child from the looks of it; either that, or an abnormally short adult. "Hope?" Came hushedly from parted lips, as if out of pure shock. Just what in the hell was happening here?

The teenager rushed over, bright blue eyes gleaming in sheer alarm at the sight of fresh crimson. He could hardly spare the time to focus solely on her, though, because he had the offender to deal with. Gabriel shifted into a defensive stance, holding up his gun at the ready and pointing the barrel of it towards the kid. "Dr.. Drop that. Now." His arms were not steady. They trembled, only slightly. He was noticeably anxious although he tried to mask the fact through gritted teeth and narrowed eyes. He didn't want to shoot a child, no way in hell, but he had assaulted a Badlander with a rusted, metal bar. Gabriel just might take a whacking from that thing too if he didn't somehow intimidate the child into complying to his orders. "Talk. Who are you? Why are you here?" Demanded he, the heartbeat in his chest quickening by the moment.

OFFICER OF THE BADLANDS / CLICK FOR BIOGRAPHY
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 07:11:32 PM by 𝐆𝐀𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐋 »
BUT IT WAS NOT YOUR FAULT BUT MINE.

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 07:36:05 PM »
C
atalyst

Twenty-one years might not seem like such a long time, but when you lead a complicated life, it could feel that way. From one place to the next, complex relationships forming and changing and getting cast away like rubbish. Places left behind, sentimentality left with them. They had but one attachment, the one they had before the world taught them that bonds were not for someone like them. A pariah, an outsider, a god, a leader, a prisoner, whatever you wanted to call them. They were other. They lived an other life, each part of it easily discarded for the next thing. And why not? They were easily discarded too.

They had noticed a strange child playing on the beach; there wasn't anyone in the Badlands that young, so it had sparked enough interest and suspicion that they decided to head down there, Molly on their heels. They came within view in time to see him hit Hope with the metal bar, though they were still too far away to do anything. "Stay back, Ma." They muttered, shrugging off their jacket and passing it to her. They didn't want to hurt the kid, but with Hope already down for the count, they didn't want their own or anyone else's blood getting on their nice clothes.

Molly hung back, but Gabe beat them to the scene. "It's a child, Gabe, so don't kill him unless I give the order." They breathed as they paused next to the Officer. "Drop it and talk, kid." They ordered loudly, crossing their arms over their chest. Jeez, it was a bit of a chilly day, wasn't it?

Spoiler: IF YOU DONT KNOW NOW YOU KNOW && INFO && 02/08/19 • show
GENERAL   welcome to the end of eras, ice has melted back to life
⇥ Given name is Scott Mathew Darrow ⇥ Goes only by Catalyst or Cat
⇥ Assigned male at birth ⇥ Agender ⇥ They/Them pronouns only
Twenty-one ⇥ Born 11/27/17 ⇥ Sagittarius ⇥ Real time aging
Boss (leader) of the Badlands ⇥ Ex prisoner of the Badlands
⇥ Ex cultist (Mourningstar) ⇥ Ex member of the Young Rogues

RECENT EVENTS   done my time and served my sentence
⇥ 02/07/39 ⇥ Reunited with Susie
⇥ 02/05/38 ⇥ Started their revenge on Jeremy
⇥ 02/04/39 ⇥ Kissed Gavril
⇥ 02/04/39 ⇥ Returned from Flintlock
⇥ 01/27/39 ⇥ Visited Flintlock Lodge
⇥ 01/21/39 ⇥ Reunited with their mother
⇥ 01/21/39 ⇥ Fought off Paige's attackers

APPEARANCE   dress me up and watch me die
⇥ Catalyst is 6'2" tall; they possess a lean and muscular body, one that has a variety of old scars adorning it. They have two piercings, one in their tongue and the other in the cartilage of their left ear. They typically dress in dark colors (favoring jackets with some sort of writing on the back), and their hair is black. They're not all dark, however, as they have pale blue eyes that peer out from beneath medium-sized eyebrows.

PERSONALITY   if it feels good, tastes good, it must be mine
⇥ Catalyst is ambitious, with the cunning and ruthlessness to reach their goals by any means necessary. They can be brutal when they feel it is needed, however when it's not they won't bother. They tend to be rather aloof and apathetic to most things and people, with some very rare exceptions. Provided those around them don't cross a few specific lines, they're content to leave them be, though they've been known to take an interest in some people, which seldom has a positive end for whoever their interest is in. They can be manipulative, and will often encourage people to make bad decisions. Those that stick by them will be rewarded, but those that do not will be cast out, as they've been outcast for their entire life and have learned to appreciate loyalty wherever they can find it. Even during the most stressful of situations, they usually keep a firm grip on their temper and keep their calm, though when they do snap and lose their temper, it is uncontrollable. They're remarkably observant, often able to deign much from subtle clues in what people say, how they say it and how they act.

RELATIONS   dynasty decapitated, you just might see a ghost tonight
⇥ Molly Darrow x Austin Darrow ⇥ No siblings
Pansexual/PanromanticSingle ⇥ No crushes or maybe crushes
⇥ Not looking but not not looking ⇥ Rarely forms romantic attachment
⇥ Holds most people at arms length and doesn't get close

INTERACTION   i'm taking back the c r o w n
Hard physicallyHard mentally ⇥ Doesn't let their guard down
⇥ Is most comfortable with close ranged-weapons ⇥ Dislikes guns
Brass knuckles ⇥ A variety of knives ⇥ Blunt objects like bats
⇥ Will kill/capture/maim in certain circumstances
⇥ Will leave things be in others ⇥ Will start & finish fights
⇥ No kill/capture/maim without permission
⇥ Peaceful powerplay allowed but they may react negatively
⇥ Dislikes almost any sort of touch unless they initiate or agree to it

↰↱
↲↳
Aim, throw your best shot right at me ———
'Cause pain, I can take it easily —————
Did you really think I'd fall to my knees ———
Just to pray for some sweet simplicity? ———
Catalyst  →  They/Them  →  21  →  Boss of the Badlands —————

Offline ALVIN JR.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 08:23:02 PM »
Hit. Run. Hide. Nellie's voice demands through his conscious. Aj isn't really able to analyze the consequences of his action. He'd have no clue who he's hit with that metal rod, as still in survival mode in preparation for his next attacker. He's surprised not to meet the unfeeling eyes of a burly man, lip curled and ready to attack, but the clear blue eyes of a boy who looks terrified to point the gun he's holding. Don't hesitate, Aj thinks, but he's glad he does. His eyes stare into the barrel of the gun, familiar with it, but not at the hands of a boy who looks no older than Nellie is. He knew he was just as capable of shooting, but it makes Aj reevaluate this scenario. Who had he hit?

His eyes fall down to his victim who wasn’t an brooding bandit, ready to pounce, but had been a girl, and she too looked around Nellie's age. Shit. He thinks. How did he handle this situation? Apologize? But it wasn't his fault. She'd snuck up behind him without any indication. You couldn't do that and not expect a metal rod to the face. But regardless, he felt the guilt, a burning hot sensation burrowing in the pit of his stomach. These reactions weren't a new thing for him. He'd elbowed people in the eye, men in their youknowwhat's when it wasn't necessary. His mind always jumped to the conclusion that whatever was behind him equalized danger. For the times he's been right, there'd also been plenty of times he'd been wrong. And here he was again, reaping the potential consequences.

Drop it. A deer in head lights, his fingers slowly loosen on the grip of the metal rod, letting it drop to his feet. "I didn't mean to, she just came up behind me!" Nellie always talked to him about shifting the blame onto others. Only made the situation worse. He swallows, shaking his head. "I mean, I didn't mean to — I just wanted some water but it tastes weird." He glaringly glances towards the water before looking back at the strangers, continues. If this had been a group, maybe they knew who Nellie was? And maybe it wasn't the best time with a girl injured in front him due to him. But he had to ask. "I was lookin' for this girl. Her names Penelope, Nellie for short. Know anyone who stopped around here by that name?" His eyes are wide, hopeful.

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 08:39:30 PM »
C
atalyst

Cat released a breath they didn't realize they were holding when he dropped the metal bar. They stepped forward and picked it up, swinging it up and resting it on their shoulder. "Well yeah, it's saltwater. It's not good to drink." They said, eyes widening a bit when he gave the name. It all came rushing back to them, the girl that had been maybe ten at most, but certainly younger. This boy's age. And the child that had been with her, a toddler, really. "Jesus fucking H. Christ." They said, reaching out with their free hand and pushing the top of Gabe's gun down. "I think I know this kid. Aj?"

Spoiler: IF YOU DONT KNOW NOW YOU KNOW && INFO && 02/08/19 • show

⇥ 01/21/39 ⇥ Reunited with their mother
⇥ 01/21/39 ⇥ Fought off Paige's attackers

⇥ Catalyst is 6'2" tall; they possess a lean and muscular body, one that has a variety of old scars adorning it. They have two piercings, one in their tongue and the other in the cartilage of their left ear. They typically dress in dark colors (favoring jackets with some sort of writing on the back), and their hair is black. They're not all dark, however, as they have pale blue eyes that peer out from beneath medium-sized eyebrows.

⇥ Catalyst is ambitious, with the cunning and ruthlessness to reach their goals by any means necessary. They can be brutal when they feel it is needed, however when it's not they won't bother. They tend to be rather aloof and apathetic to most things and people, with some very rare exceptions. Provided those around them don't cross a few specific lines, they're content to leave them be, though they've been known to take an interest in some people, which seldom has a positive end for whoever their interest is in. They can be manipulative, and will often encourage people to make bad decisions. Those that stick by them will be rewarded, but those that do not will be cast out, as they've been outcast for their entire life and have learned to appreciate loyalty wherever they can find it. Even during the most stressful of situations, they usually keep a firm grip on their temper and keep their calm, though when they do snap and lose their temper, it is uncontrollable. They're remarkably observant, often able to deign much from subtle clues in what people say, how they say it and how they act.

↰↱
↲↳

Offline ALVIN JR.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 09:39:26 PM »
"Who puts salt in their water?" He asks seriously. And how did they get so much in there? Makes sense, but it was still disappointing to know that his find wasn't a credible one. So far away from home, Aj expects no one to know his name here, so when it falls out of Cat's without his chance for introduction his body fell rigid. Maybe in the back of the child's mind, where those memories that you often don't think about are stored, he knew. However, those old disposable memories aren't enough for him to know Cat as anything other than a stranger. "Yeaaah," His voice raises suspiciously, eyebrows knitting in expression to his confusion. "Who are you?" Now, it wasn't as if this was totally unexplainable and could maybe even be the reassurance he needed. Nellie could be here, but could be on patrol. Nellie could have known him before Aj began to collect memories and trauma like trinkets on a shelf. Or, Cat could just have been a creep that'd been watching them for awhile. Even though he didn't look like a creep, but looks can be deceiving. It wouldn't have been the first time, after all.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:03:50 PM by ALVIN JR. »

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 11:33:29 PM »
just as quickly as the lights had gone out, she was swimming back to consciousness. she was laying there on the ground, crumpled like a discarded piece of paper, for less than a minute when she groaned, head awkwardly bobbing from side to side before she came to, eyes opening. a toss to the side revealed gabe and cat, flooding her with relief, but when she looked the other way, she saw the little boy she'd seen a minute before, and...

❝you could've killed me, y'know.❞ she muttered in accusation, but just as quickly as she'd been knocked out, she was over it. frankly, he wasn't the first person to smack her over the head and make her lose a period of time, and one could probably say she was starting to get used to it.

pushing herself up to a seated position, she touched the spot she'd been wacked, finding the flesh tender and her fingers stinging. bringing her hand into eye level, there were a few beads of blood. her stomach churned at the sight, and her mind was flooded with memories of blood. but she shut those memories down immediately, instead grabbing the hem of her shirt and pulling it up, flashing everyone a bit of her stomach as she wiped the blood on the black fabric and releasing it to fall back into it's place.

she held up a hand for help up, head still pounding from the hit, and cat took it, helping her up. dusting herself off, and vaguely recalling aj's question, cleared her throat. ❝nature. most of the water you find just sitting around here is going to be salt flavored.❞ she explained, crossing her arms and, spotting gabe and his gun, opting to take a step behind him. let mister-tough-guy get the next wack.

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 12:06:31 AM »
C
atalyst

Hope woke up, taking the whole thing surprisingly well. Good. Their gaze went to the kid while she wiped the blood away, but their hand was there for her when she was ready to get up. They opened their mouth to answer Aj's question, but before they could, Hope did. Maybe it would just be too convenient to be able to drink ocean water.

They're not surprised that the kid doesn't remember them; after all he'd been what, two? Something like that? When Cat had met him. Hardly more than a baby. "When you were much smaller, Nellie brought you to the town I lived in." Technically they lived outside the town, bit away from it, but they didn't want to get into the complexities.

"The only food you could get was in a bar, but Nellie was too young to go in so I got you guys some dinner. I remember because I got so much shit for it." From Gerald, specifically; he liked his god cruel and violent, not helping runaway children. "I haven't seen her since, but I can try to help you find her." Jeez, they were turning into a regular bleeding heart, weren't they?

Spoiler: IF YOU DONT KNOW NOW YOU KNOW && INFO && 02/11/19 • show

⇥ 02/11/99 ⇥ Got drunk

↰↱
↲↳

Offline ALVIN JR.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 10:09:37 PM »
"You could have killed me, y'know." He knows, the twinge of guilt is still there despite his curiosities on finding Nellie. She wasn't dead, though. That was a good thing, right? He was sure as hell relieved. Had he accidentally killed this girl, this could get him in a lot more trouble with this group than he was looking for. And plus, Cat seems to harbor knowledge about Nellie, a truth that could easily be kept from him if he was ever so cruel. He wanted to show he wasn't some troubled kid looking for a fight, but a young boy only trying to survive long enough to reconnect with the only person he's known to protect him. His eyes flutter to Hope briefly as she prompts for a helping hand, something he would have rushed to do if he could support her weight. Cat is the one to do so. She continues to speak as if she doesn't have hard feelings. That's a start. But that could be discussed at another time.

Nellie used to tell him stories about the people she'd meant when he'd only been an infant, a bumbling toddler. There was people she wanted him to remember despite not knowing them, and lessons he'd wanted her to learn from her experiences. Now that he recalls it, Cat might have been one of them. Starving and alone, unable to get into a bar where food lingered from it's premises, they'd brought them out food to eat even when it was an act that would later be held against them. To know that there was someone that knew him, that knew Nellie, was great but he can't help but feel disappointed that she wasn't here now. If this wasn't the group that she was searching to join, then what was it she wanted to do? He tries not to let his emotions manifest, but it does rapidly. His bottom lip quirks downward, eyebrow raising, head bowing briefly, and then he catches himself. Catches himself in a state of vulnerability and rewires. His transition of emotions probably wouldn't have been so genuine if Cat hadn't offered to help him find her.

"Can you?" He asks, a twinge of childlike hoping wrapped in his words like a blanket. Aj could very much do it by himself, he knew he could, but he doesn't want to. With an extra helping hands, or even hands it'd help speed the process in him being reunited with Nellie. She might even be joyous to see Cat again, after such a long time of not seeing them, and he can see himself here in the meantime. That's if, he was allowed to after the stunt he pulled. He's almost hesitant to ask.

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 03:26:23 PM »
C
atalyst

Cat gave a slow nod. They didn't like making promises like this, ones that they couldn't be sure they'd be able to keep. Some part of them, the ghost of what Derick had killed, wanted to do it because it was right. He was a child, and it wouldn't be long before he was seriously hurt. The part of them that had replaced that kindness said it was necessary that he stay and repay for the injury he had caused.

"I'll do what I can." They turned around and waved Molly over. She hurried across the beach, a worried look on her face. "In the meantime you'll have to stay here and payback the damage you caused Hope, as well as help around to compensate us for the trouble we'll be going to. It won't be too bad, and you won't be hurt." They assured him. "This is Molly. She'll help find you somewhere you can rest up, and get you some unsalted water. Also, Ma, if you see Mord, tell him to have a look at Hope."

Spoiler: IF YOU DONT KNOW NOW YOU KNOW && INFO && 02/11/19 • show

⇥ 02/11/99 ⇥ Got drunk