Author Topic: DO NOT TRY ME DEVIL * JOINING  (Read 207 times)

Offline AVA

• OOC: she/her
    • View Profile
DO NOT TRY ME DEVIL * JOINING
« on: February 26, 2019, 09:34:10 AM »
[ ❁ ] This was possibly the farthest she'd ever walked, but that was a necessity; however much her feet ached, it was better to have the pain. It was preferable to being dead, or kept on the end of a leash for someone with more power. Ava had sworn to herself a long time ago that would never happen again, so if she had to walk for a while barefoot, so be it. With enough rest spots, the skin would easily recover, and she'd been rubbing them with ointment with every opportunity; it would have been even worse in the black heels she had tucked away in a bag off her shoulder with the rest of her supplies.

Seeing what was an undoubtedly occupied beach town interspersed with trees had her fishing them out and slipping them on, wince schooled before it could make it past her eyes. Ava could probably find some work here; information was her forte, albeit gained by questionable means, but anything worth knowing wasn't learned by playing nice. Insurance was always a necessity. Not every one of her problems could be fixed with the knives disguised as heels, or a bathtub. 

She knew she wasn't pristine, that traveling on the road without being able to draw herself a bath had left her worn, but she knew how to wear grime just as well as any make-up. Confidence went a long way when used properly.
SHE'S A
BLACK MAGIC
BLACK MAGIC
WOMAN

Offline 𝐆𝐀𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐋

• ‘ 童子 ’
    • View Profile
Re: DO NOT TRY ME DEVIL * JOINING
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 12:04:54 PM »
GABRIEL GRIFFIN
WEEP, LITTLE LION MAN, YOU'RE NOT AS BRAVE AS YOU WERE AT THE START.
Prior to about the seventh month of his fifteen-year old life, Gabriel had never traveled such a long distance away from home. If one knew the area that he had grown up in, they might have called him plain crazy. Wanting to get away from a two-story home nestled in the suburbs of a small, forested town, with relatively little-to-no crime whatsoever? The idea in itself was ridiculous. In a post-apocalyptic world such as this, raising a family in a home like that was as close to ideal as you could possibly get.

Unfortunately, Gabriel's teenage naivety led him to crawling out the window of his room late at night and fleeing into the woods, never to be seen by his parents again. The journey to the beachside city itself had not been too bad, surprisingly. Long, grueling, even scary at times, but Gabriel hadn't managed to get himself killed ( surprising for a boy who had never been independent in his entire life ). It was the Badlands itself that was dangerous, and even now that Gabriel realized this, he still could not bring himself to return home. Even with the bloodshed and the violence, he could not leave.

It was plain to tell who was a trespasser and who was a current member of the Badlands. Hygiene was something to strive for these days, but he was pretty sure that no Badlander looked as worn and exhausted as this woman did. She did not look familiar to him anyhow, so Gabriel felt obligated to question her. "Uh... Hi," Greeted the teenager — admittedly, a bit... nervously. She was tall, not something he was used to when it came to women. "Who are you?" A messenger? A traveler? Who knew.

GRUNT OF THE BADLANDS / CLICK FOR BIOGRAPHY
LIKE A BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER
——————————— I WILL LAY ME DOWN

Offline PHOENIX.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 01:04:58 PM »
[ okay i guess i'm partially skipping phoenix's joining rip that thread ]

Who doesn't want a little adventure in life, right? Maybe the people who had too much of it. Maybe one day Phoenix would think about settling down in some quiet little suburb, raise a kid with someone he loves. But right now that thought makes him want to laugh. The life he leads is still a little wild, and even if he'd turned thirty not too long ago, there's no sign of him slowing down. It's why he's here, after all. Instead of back home. He'd had a good thing going there; the issue is that good things never seem to last in his life. Phoenix ran away from home and wound up in this hellhole — not all that long ago, either. It still shows in how he's dressed. Something practical and worn, still dirty. He misses looking pretty.

Two pretty strangers meeting twice, the second so far away from the first? Someone might just call that fate. Phoenix isn't one of them, not really. He's not so sweet as to think of it like that. When he first steps up towards Gabriel and greets her with a raised eyebrow, his first thought is actually why the fuck are you here, which is both mean and unfriendly, so he doesn't say it. Instead, Phoenix lifts his hands in an almost questioning gesture before dropping them back to his sides, head tilted.

"She's a stalker, that's who she is." But he's grinning warmly, even if dark eyes reveal nothing. "I must have made one hell of an impression. Should I be concerned for my safety, Miss?"

CALL ME CALLOUSED, CALL ME COLD
[ YOU'RE ITALIC.  I'M IN BOLD ]

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 03:32:17 PM »
C
atalyst

They've walked... probably thousands of miles. Maybe even in the tens of thousands, it was hard to say. They went through periods of their life when they were more or less loyal to one place, but between those places? There was only the road, or the trail, and sometimes not even that much. Over time their feet learned not to complain so much.

Getting well and truly clean was something that was hard to do these days, even when you lived in a well-established group such as the Badlands. Easier, definitely, than if you were a lone traveler with little access to water, but still. Eh, Catalyst wasn't such a big fan of being dirty, so for that they'd do the extra work to be clean. They weren't completely spotless, but compared to the woman approaching, they were pristine.

Their choice (though, was it really their choice? Fate's hand guided everything they did) to leave home had certainly been a naive one. Thinking that the neighborhood kids would leave their mother alone if only they disappeared, that she would be safer. That they could make it on their own (which to an extent they had) and that it would all be alright. In some ways it hadn't, but now look, mother and child were reunited once more and they were both safer than they had been. Largely because Catalyst was the danger now, but still.

This was about as settled down as Cat could picture themself; a spouse and kids had never appealed to them, hell they were even against it. They didn't like the idea of being tied down in that way, and they couldn't see why anyone would want that sort of life with them anyway, no matter how much Gavril said he did. Fugging hell. They didn't want it, they had never wanted it, though perhaps recent events had shaken their conviction a little bit. No, they still didn't want to get married or become a parent, but weirdly, a domestic life didn't sound like the worst thing in the world now. As long as they still had Molly and a certain Romanian. But why not have it both ways? Why not keep their life here, and go home at the end of the day to people they cared about? So long as this wasn't all some cruel trick by Fate, why not have everything?

A disheveled woman wouldn't garner any more suspicion than anyone else that turned up at the border. So long as they didn't seem like threats, everyone got a relatively equal treatment, the relativity being case by case. They did narrow their eyes when Phoenix spoke up; they were always a little suspicious of when someone that knew one of their members turned up (even someone recently joined), particularly when the reunion didn't seem all that happy. They didn't say anything at first, but now their interest was doubled as they went to stand beside Gabe.

Spoiler: IF YOU DONT KNOW NOW YOU KNOW && INFO && 02/26/19 • show
GENERAL   welcome to the end of eras, ice has melted back to life
⇥ Given name is Scott Mathew Darrow ⇥ Goes only by Catalyst or Cat
⇥ Assigned male at birth ⇥ Agender ⇥ They/Them pronouns only
Twenty-one ⇥ Born 11/27/17 ⇥ Sagittarius ⇥ Real time aging
Boss (leader) of the Badlands ⇥ Ex prisoner of the Badlands
⇥ Ex cultist (Mourningstar) ⇥ Ex member of the Young Rogues

RECENT EVENTS   done my time and served my sentence
⇥ 02/23/39 ⇥ Attended Hayley and Jackson's wedding
⇥ 02/17/39 ⇥ Had a heart to heart with Molly and Gavril
⇥ 02/15/39 ⇥ Visited Michael in Flintlock
⇥ 02/14/39 ⇥ Hosted a Valentine's day party
⇥ 02/11/39 ⇥ Got drunk
⇥ 02/07/39 ⇥ Reunited with Susie

APPEARANCE   dress me up and watch me die
⇥ Catalyst is 6'2" tall; they possess a lean and muscular body, one that has a variety of old scars adorning it. They have two piercings, one in their tongue and the other in the cartilage of their left ear. They typically dress in dark colors (favoring jackets with some sort of writing on the back), and their hair is black. They're not all dark, however, as they have pale blue eyes that peer out from beneath medium-sized eyebrows.

PERSONALITY   if it feels good, tastes good, it must be mine
⇥ Catalyst is ambitious, with the cunning and ruthlessness to reach their goals by any means necessary. They can be brutal when they feel it is needed, however when it's not they won't bother. They tend to be rather aloof and apathetic to most things and people, with some very rare exceptions. Provided those around them don't cross a few specific lines, they're content to leave them be, though they've been known to take an interest in some people, which seldom has a positive end for whoever their interest is in. They can be manipulative, and will often encourage people to make bad decisions. Those that stick by them will be rewarded, but those that do not will be cast out, as they've been outcast for their entire life and have learned to appreciate loyalty wherever they can find it. Even during the most stressful of situations, they usually keep a firm grip on their temper and keep their calm, though when they do snap and lose their temper, it is uncontrollable. They're remarkably observant, often able to deign much from subtle clues in what people say, how they say it and how they act.

RELATIONS   dynasty decapitated, you just might see a ghost tonight
⇥ Molly Darrow x Austin Darrow ⇥ No siblings
Pansexual/Panromantic ⇥ Essentially taken ⇥ One Crush
⇥ Not looking but it happened ⇥ Rarely forms romantic attachment
⇥ Holds most people at arms length and doesn't get close

INTERACTION   i'm taking back the c r o w n
Hard physicallyHard mentally ⇥ Doesn't let their guard down
⇥ Is most comfortable with close ranged-weapons ⇥ Dislikes guns
Brass knuckles ⇥ A variety of knives ⇥ Blunt objects like bats
⇥ Will kill/capture/maim in certain circumstances
⇥ Will leave things be in others ⇥ Will start & finish fights
⇥ No kill/capture/maim without permission
⇥ Peaceful powerplay allowed but they may react negatively
⇥ Dislikes almost any sort of touch unless they initiate or agree to it

I've been defeated I begged for what I needed
I suffered now I'm ready for war

Offline AVA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 04:09:00 PM »
[ ❁ ] She had never considered the luxury of a life different than the one she had. It felt too much like over-indulgence, and she had seen first-hand how many lives fantasies and pipe-dreams easily ruined irreparably. Nor did she entertain thoughts of what she might have- there was no better way of falling into wanting too much and having none of it. Ava would leave the hoping and yearning to the people who wouldn't last very long, and had since the world of lights and electricity signed her over to a man more at home with blatant murderers, bastards, schemers, and thieves.

That was no home to run away from, in the end, but she didn't fixate on what happened behind her for a reason. Several of them, all well-supported.

Her gaze didn't have to lower at all to take in the full figure of the gawky child, because he was both considerably shorter than her and too young to be of any use. She wasn't the sort of person to find her information from tadpoles- she left that to the people who stooped low enough to take advantage of the young and impressionable.

Neither of which described the man behind the boy. Verdant eyes narrowed slightly, the only indicator of her surprise, while his revealed nothing. Naturally. Charming, but like a picket fence: for all appearances welcoming, but still a barrier. "Ava out here, not Miss. And no more than usual," she said after a moment, "but I have to say you look different out of a chair." Here, she smirked, even though it wasn't an especially nice expression.

Ava glanced at the boy again, then walked past him, pausing beside Phoenix, face only barely angled toward him. "Though your first impression wasn't so incredible that I'd walk more than the length of a room for you." Her gaze slid over the nearby buildings, considering; it wasn't the worst place she'd ever stayed, although she'd never been fond of beaches. "Poate fac o excepție pentru un băiat drăguț ca tine." She'd only told him the meaning of one part in that- would he be able to pick it out? Probably. Phoenix had never given her the impression of a stupid man.

Only another brief look for someone about the same height, if slightly shorter than she and Phoenix. Suspicious demeanor, but who wasn't paranoid? Not anyone living. She wouldn't be getting anything from them, though; she was fairly perceptive when it came, and they weren't the kind weak in the knees for a bit of seductive charm.

"Much as I appreciate all this warm welcoming, I'm going to find a bath." Ava gave Phoenix's shoulder a firm pat and skirted around him, fixing her bag more securely as she strode down the street. At this point, unless the man named her father showed up on the sidewalk, she wasn't postponing her bath for anything.
SHE'S A
BLACK MAGIC
BLACK MAGIC
WOMAN

Offline PHOENIX.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 05:03:08 PM »
Phoenix doesn't have to dream about a different life — he's lived it. Not many people got to experience the jarring drop from heaven to hell, or the slow climb back up. Maybe every now and then he wonders what he would be like if his family hadn't kicked him out, but there's no point in wishing. Like Ava, he'll just roll with whatever his life gives him. Or, more accurately, he'll make the best of it. If life gives him lemons, he'll sell the lemons and buy a house. Theoretically — the apocalypse doesn't care for your currency, and humans were too busy fighting each other to move forward. He's not complaining, it's all just good for business.

His and her's both, apparently, though a relocation will have them starting over. Phoenix still finds himself suspicious of her and her motives, but hell he's always suspicious. At least a little. Maybe one day it'll wear off and he'll be trusting and kind. Or maybe that's the day he'll die. Either way's fine.

Dark brown eyes don't stray from her, not to the kid or to Cat as the boss joins them. He mimics her feigned half-attention as she pauses by him, his eyes still just a little on her. "Mm," he chuckles, faking a wince and putting his hand over his heart. "You wound me, really." But his innocent amusement slips some when she says something else — more Romanian, he's torn between wanting her to stop and wanting to hear her talk like that all the time — and Phoenix's smile is a little smug. Băiat drăguț. It's affectionate, even if they don't even know each other's last names.

Doesn't stop him from remembering everything else they know about each other, especially with the pat on his shoulder that almost makes his breath catch. Almost. He turns around to keep watching her as she walks past, finally chuckling. "Welcome to The Badlands, I guess," he says, and then waits until she's a safer distance away. "You sure you wouldn't want some company?"

CALL ME CALLOUSED, CALL ME COLD
[ YOU'RE ITALIC.  I'M IN BOLD ]

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 06:01:07 PM »
C
atalyst

Different people might define luxury differently. For some, the height of luxury was access to fancy things, to never want for more than a moment or two. To Catalyst, the height of luxury was security. It was a rare thing these days, even more so than diamonds or expensive whiskey or beautiful art. Safety, security, it was something most people couldn't afford anymore, for it was something that couldn't be bought anymore. You had to fight for it, to claw your way to a point where you were almost untouchable. And if you were really ruthless, perhaps you could "afford" to bring others with you to the top. They had every reason to be that ruthless.

Not many people had been dropped from Heaven into Hell and gotten back up to the former. Though they believed in neither place as real, the concepts they represented were something they could understand. They'd had it all before, even a few different times, only to be stripped of it by one force or another. The most dramatic shifts, the ones that fit the narrative the best, were the ones of when they first came to Badlands and became leader, only to be ambushed and made a prisoner. It had taken a long time for them to reclaim their position, but reclaim it they did and now things were even better than before.

But now, more than ever, they had something they were terrified of losing.

She said that her name was Ava, though just about all of her attention was on the other recent joiner, Phoenix. Her words didn't exactly soothe their suspicion, and she pretty much just ignored them and Gabe and started marching in. Oh no. "You can't just do that." They said, darting ahead of her so that she couldn't continue on her path in. "You only kind of answered his question and you didn't say what you're doing here." Aside from finding a bath, which Cat was going to make very difficult if she wasn't willing to postpone it a little longer. "So you don't get to walk in like you own the place." And was that... Romanian she had spoken? They weren't entirely sure, they'd only heard Gavril speak it a few times, and her accent wasn't really Romanian (that would have been easy to recognize), but they would guess it was at least from that region.

⇥ 02/11/39 ⇥ Got drunk

⇥ Catalyst is 6'2" tall; they possess a lean and muscular body, one that has a variety of old scars adorning it. They have two piercings, one in their tongue and the other in the cartilage of their left ear. They typically dress in dark colors (favoring jackets with some sort of writing on the back), and their hair is black. They're not all dark, however, as they have pale blue eyes that peer out from beneath medium-sized eyebrows.

⇥ Catalyst is ambitious, with the cunning and ruthlessness to reach their goals by any means necessary. They can be brutal when they feel it is needed, however when it's not they won't bother. They tend to be rather aloof and apathetic to most things and people, with some very rare exceptions. Provided those around them don't cross a few specific lines, they're content to leave them be, though they've been known to take an interest in some people, which seldom has a positive end for whoever their interest is in. They can be manipulative, and will often encourage people to make bad decisions. Those that stick by them will be rewarded, but those that do not will be cast out, as they've been outcast for their entire life and have learned to appreciate loyalty wherever they can find it. Even during the most stressful of situations, they usually keep a firm grip on their temper and keep their calm, though when they do snap and lose their temper, it is uncontrollable. They're remarkably observant, often able to deign much from subtle clues in what people say, how they say it and how they act.

⇥ Peaceful powerplay allowed but they may react negatively
⇥ Dislikes almost any sort of touch unless they initiate or agree to it

I've been defeated I begged for what I needed
I suffered now I'm ready for war

Offline gavril l.

• gavril "bats" lupei
  • ic opinions | @noccy
    • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 08:32:51 AM »
Immigrants,
we get the job done.   
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?
Speak of the devil and he shall appear. The small fanged male appeared in time to hear what could be Romanian, causing him to raise an eyebrow in question. He walked to stand next to Cat after they had moved to block her way again. He stood two inches shorter than them, at six feet exactly. This woman was his height, which didn't phase him any. "I can make an exception for a nice boy like you." he translated, luckily for Gabe and Cat, they had possibly gotten used to his thick Romanian accent by now, so they can understand him.

His attention then was directed to the woman "Nu ξnțelegi engleza?" he questioned, raising an eyebrow  curiously though she had made it clear she did in fact understand English. A smirk appeared on his lips "Ai nevoie de un traducător?" he chuckled before glancing between her at Cat. Maybe she'd understand something if it was in Romanian and not English, because she clearly wasn't listening to Cat. "Ξți poți face baie după ce răspunzi la ξntrebările lor. Bine?" a pause "Cine sunteți și ce vreți?"

She didn't get to answer this guy who had just joined and walk in. She had to answer at least Gabe, but she sure as hell shouldn't ignore Cat. Especially seeing as it was more or less them that could determine her fate. He looked at Phoenix "You keep your mouth shut and let her answer for herself, yeah?" granted he could understand what Gav had said to her. He usually was the nicer of the two between him and Cat, but she didn't seem to deserve such a thing, not yet at least.

Spoiler: translations • show
*Romanian
Nu ξnțelegi engleza? Do not you understand English?
Ai nevoie de un traducător? Do you need an interpreter?
Ξți poți face baie după ce răspunzi la ξntrebările lor. Bine? You can take a bath after answering their questions. Good?
Cine sunteți și ce vreți? Who are you and what do you want?

**French

*If Romanian - I am 100% using google translate cause...I don't speak Romanian
**If French - I'm mostly probably using google translate but I took two years of French so I may...try to do it myself

thes code

bio - inventory - pinterest - tags

Offline AVA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 10:43:36 AM »
[ ❁ ] The Badlands. Was that the name of this quaint little beach town? Ava wanted to laugh- the kind of people who would fit best in a place with that name weren't among any of those present, not even Phoenix. More ugliness, more tobacco spat on the ground, more dirty leering from grimy walls. Not a boy and punk rock here, or prince charming's black sheep of a brother. Ava didn't doubt that any of them were survivors, that they weren't willing to accomplish what they had to, but there was a difference between perceived necessity and rampant, blackened hedonism that aspired to nothing beyond the satisfaction of things found in midnight alleyways. Ava knew them well, and none of it was in the tease Phoenix sent after her back -met with a middle finger over the shoulder- or the frantic scrambling for control by punk rock.

She side-stepped and pivoted around them easily. Not the first pole she'd done that with, though they were admittedly a bit more alive. "I did, actually. You don't own this place either." However much they were in charge. "If you did, you wouldn't have to ask me." Were they so small in number because they thought it prudent to stop everyone? It wouldn't surprise her.

Ava meant to continue walking, but a male voice with her mother tongue had her pausing, upper lip briefly curling back in a snarl before she schooled her expression. "Pretty boy, actually. Don't do him a disservice- though it sounds like I'm not the one who needs a translator." She had three inches on this man in her heels, but even if the height difference weren't there, it wouldn't keep her from staring at him as though he was aforementioned tobacco she scraped off her heel. "If you're so eager to translate, my answer is this: du-te ξn pizda mă-tii." And he had to go speaking to Phoenix like he had more authority than what was granted by being this one's lapdog.

"If you want to interrogate me while I bathe, you're more than welcome to, but you're deluding yourself if you think that question will ever do anything for you." A bit amusing to anticipate honesty when in a place called "The Badlands." Especially the potentially incriminating kind, and considering there was no reliable method of discerning honesty, it was  a wonder this was all still standing.

Jade eyes shifted to Phoenix, and the corner of her mouth lifted. "You'll have to sit it out, though. Apparently, they think you're my mouthpiece."
SHE'S A
BLACK MAGIC
BLACK MAGIC
WOMAN

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 05:15:06 PM »
C
atalyst

//punk rock I

And there he was, positioning himself next to Cat, just as he always seemed to do. They almost didn't look at him, though when he spoke they glanced at him out of the corner of their eye. What he said didn't make sense, and it took them a moment to realize he was translating what Ava had said. Not a moment too soon, either, because they were a second away from telling Gav that they weren't a boy. That it was a translation was only made more clear when it ended up being Ava that corrected him.

They watch their exchange silently for a minute, crossing their arms over their chest. "I as good as own it." Okay, they could see easily enough that this tactic wasn't going to get anywhere. "Leave it, Gav." They muttered, having the sense that he wasn't making the situation any better. "Fine. Go skinny-dip in the ocean. If you wanna know how actual Badlanders bathe, though, you'll have to do the same things they did to become one." They seldom expected true honesty from anyone - why would they, when they so rarely gave it themself - but they still expected that they gave some sort of answer. (Lies could be just as revealing as truths, after all.) That there was some acknowledgement to who was in charge and how things were run. Not everyone there was loyal to them, but enough people heeded their orders they were confident if one person had the gall to march into their territory without following the proper protocol, it'd be that person that ended up sorry, not Catalyst.

Ugh. The last person that did that was Susie. She'd at least had the (correct) presumption that they'd let it slide, but that was different and just as annoying to do. She'd been an old friend, though Cat suspected Ava's entitlement came from always getting what she wanted.

//this is a fucking mess I'm sorry

⇥ 02/11/39 ⇥ Got drunk