Author Topic: please don't let me be misunderstood | joining  (Read 157 times)

Offline ROSWALD S.

• View Profile
please don't let me be misunderstood | joining
« on: March 12, 2019, 06:28:55 PM »
"It's so hot out today. Well, maybe it's just where we are."

He's talking idly to the bird perched on his shoulder, one of the brightest, pinkest, most pompous looking birds you'll ever spot in a place as drab as the city he's found himself in. Against the greys and browns of the crumbling buildings, in light as broad as today's, Milkshake's brilliant plumage makes the both of them a dead giveaway. He grips the pistol in his bag like its a toy, but in truth he has no ammo. He knows this, yet it makes him feel safer. Nobody wants to fuck with a kid who has a gun, right? Well, he hopes so, anyways. Even just pulling it on somebody might be enough to get him out of a jam.

He's overthinking again. There's no jam. Not right now. He tries to relax his clenched fingers and turns to view his surroundings.

He sees now why these types of places used to be called concrete jungles; skyscrapers tower around him on either side of the street like great oaks around a deerpath, and he's the dumb stag walking casually along, right into wherever the hunter has set his quarry. He can tell someone's around. He hates to be as paranoid as his mother was, but he just feels it in his gut, just that instinctive feeling that someone is watching him. He looks around and he's faced only with trash and puddles from old rainfall, but somewhere, somehow, someone's lurking. He's completely sure.

Roswald feels like he's wandered somewhere he shouldn't have. He's getting it in his head now that he never should've left the safe confines of his old home, or his mother's watchful eye.

"Let's leave from here as fast as possible, Milkshake. Stay close."

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: please don't let me be misunderstood | joining
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 08:25:29 PM »
C
atalyst

Spring was coming, that's the conclusion that they came to more and more with every passing day. Pretty soon it would be here, and then it was only going to get hotter. They didn't particularly enjoy hot weather, they liked things pleasantly cool. Was that a preference primarily due to their style? Yes, yes it was. Without their decorated jackets, what were they, really? Still themself, of course, but even in just a t-shirt they felt naked. People could mock their fashion all they wanted, Catalyst couldn't give less of a fuck. They liked what they liked, and they weren't in the business of apologizing.

Besides, dark clothes made it easier to lurk in the shadows and watch, something they were rather fond of doing. Sometimes it was in alleyways, sometimes in higher up places that were easier to see if one only thought to look up. The balconies at their house, or sometimes even a roof. Today it was an alley, and when they realized that the boy they'd been observing had noticed them, they stepped out, crossing their arms over their chest. "Where do you think you're going?"

Spoiler: IF YOU DONT KNOW NOW YOU KNOW && INFO && 03/09/19 • show
GENERAL   welcome to the end of eras, ice has melted back to life
⇥ Given name is Scott Mathew Darrow ⇥ Goes only by Catalyst or Cat
⇥ Assigned male at birth ⇥ Agender ⇥ They/Them pronouns only
Twenty-one ⇥ Born 11/27/17 ⇥ Sagittarius ⇥ Real time aging
Boss (leader) of the Badlands ⇥ Ex prisoner of the Badlands
⇥ Ex cultist (Mourningstar) ⇥ Ex member of the Young Rogues

RECENT EVENTS   done my time and served my sentence
⇥ 03/09/39 ⇥ Was stabbed by Mike
⇥ 03/03/39 ⇥ Took over Northstar District
⇥ 02/23/39 ⇥ Attended Hayley and Jackson's wedding
⇥ 02/17/39 ⇥ Had a heart to heart with Molly and Gavril

APPEARANCE   dress me up and watch me die
⇥ Catalyst is 6'2" tall; they possess a lean and muscular body, one that has a variety of old scars adorning it. They have two piercings, one in their tongue and the other in the cartilage of their left ear. They typically dress in dark colors (favoring jackets with some sort of writing on the back), and their hair is black. They're not all dark, however, as they have pale blue eyes that peer out from beneath medium-sized eyebrows.

PERSONALITY   if it feels good, tastes good, it must be mine
⇥ Catalyst is ambitious, with the cunning and ruthlessness to reach their goals by any means necessary. They can be brutal when they feel it is needed, however when it's not they won't bother. They tend to be rather aloof and apathetic to most things and people, with some very rare exceptions. Provided those around them don't cross a few specific lines, they're content to leave them be, though they've been known to take an interest in some people, which seldom has a positive end for whoever their interest is in. They can be manipulative, and will often encourage people to make bad decisions. Those that stick by them will be rewarded, but those that do not will be cast out, as they've been outcast for their entire life and have learned to appreciate loyalty wherever they can find it. Even during the most stressful of situations, they usually keep a firm grip on their temper and keep their calm, though when they do snap and lose their temper, it is uncontrollable. They're remarkably observant, often able to deign much from subtle clues in what people say, how they say it and how they act.

RELATIONS   dynasty decapitated, you just might see a ghost tonight
⇥ Molly Darrow x Austin Darrow ⇥ No siblings
Pansexual/Panromantic ⇥ Essentially taken ⇥ One Crush
⇥ Not looking but it happened ⇥ Rarely forms romantic attachment
⇥ Holds most people at arms length and doesn't get close

INTERACTION   i'm taking back the c r o w n
Hard physicallyHard mentally ⇥ Doesn't let their guard down
⇥ Is most comfortable with close ranged-weapons ⇥ Dislikes guns
Brass knuckles ⇥ A variety of knives ⇥ Blunt objects like bats
⇥ Will kill/capture/maim in certain circumstances
⇥ Will leave things be in others ⇥ Will start & finish fights
⇥ No kill/capture/maim without permission
⇥ Peaceful powerplay allowed but they may react negatively
⇥ Dislikes almost any sort of touch unless they initiate or agree to it

I've been defeated I begged for what I needed
I suffered now I'm ready for war

Offline body.

• male
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 08:58:09 PM »
Baumann isn't much for people-watching. He's observant, sure, but not stalkerish. He likes to think he has better things to do (he doesn't) than lurk in the shadows, looking every passerby up and down. However, he isn't quite as paranoid as everyone else seems to be. What are they looking for?

Joseph has crossed paths with Catalyst for the third time today. Not that he doesn't like them or anything, it's just that... he's a little afraid of them. It's shameful to admit, being afraid of someone who's barely out of diapers, but he can't help it! It must be their face... Baumann will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're actually a very nice person and they just give off a certain kind of vibe. In any case, he would have kept strolling, however their harsh bark catches his attention.

Baumann turns on his heel to find Catalyst apprehending a little boy with a bird on his shoulder, the sight of which has him raising his eyebrows. It isn't the weirdest thing he's ever seen, but it's up there. It's silly, but the situation seems too serious to start laughing. "Are you alright?" he asks, more concerned for the boy's safety than the fact that he's trespassing. "You look nervous. Are you lost?"
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 11:09:44 AM by BAUMANN. »

Offline ROSWALD S.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 07:04:30 AM »
He's been caught red-handed. His face grows hot as someone steps from the shadows, and the next thing he knows his ears are ringing and his hands are shaking and he's dropping that gun back right where it belongs, deep in the depths of his belongings. He can't muster the courage to pull it out, or even try to make any kind of stand against this guy, if their curt words are any indication of their bite.

They just seem so confident. He can see it in their walk, in their authoritative voice. All of a sudden his strength is sapped from him, and Roswald is left cowering with his tail between his legs. "I don't know," he admits, quietly, "I don't know what to tell you."

Someone else strides over, though Baumann's arrival is heavily welcomed by someone who prefers to not be pulverized by a scary man in black. He almost sighs as he listens to concern, compassion; this one seems nicer, even if in general he'd prefer to just get on his way. He remembers his mother told him not to talk to strangers. "I'm doing normal." Roswald mutters, beginning to pick at his nails, "Not lost."

Offline body.

• male
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 09:29:01 AM »
The fear that crosses Roswald's face makes him wonder if he's a little thief. What's he holding onto in that bag of his? That or Catalyst is just so intimidating they've got this poor boy on the verge of pissing his pants.

"Don't be so scared," Baumann says reassuringly, lowering himself to Roswald's level. "We won't hurt you." At least he won't. He doesn't know if Catalyst is above beating up children. He himself has sworn that if anyone deserves unconditional protection, it's today's youth. "What's your name? What are you doing here?" Judging by the accent, Roswald is a long, long way from home. "Are you all by yourself?" If there's one thing he's noticed, it's the concerning lack of parental supervision. He wonders what caused this sudden influx of orphans and feral children.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 11:09:57 AM by BAUMANN. »

Offline abraham

• She/Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 02:24:10 PM »
JUST REMEMBER NOT TO LOVE ME WHEN I DISAPPEAR | | |
Abraham had to give it to her fellow Badlanders, they definitely infested this town like rats. She couldn't walk five feet without seeing a few of them scattered throughout the streets; disgusting mongrels really, but she was one of them so she'd never voice the thought.

There was a concerning lack of parental supervision, or supervision of any kind for the youth living in the Badlands. It was tragic, and something should be done about it, but who was going to do it? She certainly couldn't handle a kid, especially the shitty kind of kid that gravitated towards a place like this.

The sight of Catalyst alongside- what was that dude's name? He'd probably introduced himself to her at some point, but maybe he hadn't. Either way he was an old dude currently speaking kindly towards a kid with a bright pink bird on his shoulder. The bird was the main thing that perked her interest; she'd seen tamed birds before, but none so colorful.

Abraham sighed and shoved her hands into her coat's pockets, strolling over like she had all the time in the world. She stopped beside Catalyst, frowning as Baumann leans down to the kid's level; that child is what, only a few inches shorter than her? Damn, either she was tiny or that kid was tall.

She crossed her arms, tilting her head as she watched. She had nothing in particular to contribute to the conversation yet, but she saw no reason to be secretive about her people-watching.
I've been you, &
I know you, &
Your faηade is a scam &
(IC Opinions)
And you were divine

Offline 𝐆𝐀𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐋

• ‘ 童子 ’
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 06:27:37 PM »
Oh wow, there was another kid, and he looked to be around his own age. Gabriel found it remarkable that all of the teenagers and children could manage out on their own without the guidance of their parents. He was still surprised that he hadn't gotten himself hurt after he had left home, though he just called it sheer luck.

He seems a bit intimidated by the crowd, so Gabe feels bad by just appearing and only adding to the group. In an attempt to ease the tension here, the former Officer greeted, "Uh... hi, I'm Gabe."

A few moments later, he commented on perhaps one of the more obvious things presented here, "I like your bird." He had never really seen one up-close before, and especially not one of such vibrant colors. He was sure that, if he had a pet bird of his own, he would get clawed by it all the time. He didn't consider himself an animal whisperer, per se, though he would care for them if he felt he needed to ( as he had done with Rue ).
LIKE A BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER
——————————— I WILL LAY ME DOWN

Offline 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐭

• 「 p a r i a h 」
  • Board Mod
    • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 07:21:58 PM »
————
————
————
————
————

You can learn a lot by watching people. Observing how they act when they think they're alone, contrasting it with how they behave when they know someone is watching them intently. It's recon, in a way, but in another it's entertainment. Mostly when people are drunk, or have a reason to be doing something outrageous, that's when they do it more for enjoyment than information. But still.

They're not sure if Joseph's promise to the kid that they wouldn't hurt him is based on an unfounded certainty that Cat would never hurt a youth or if it's an unsure half-truth to calm the boy. They really don't have any plans of hurting Roswald, but if they asked themself if they were capable of harming a child, they didn't like the answer. "This is the Badlands, kid. You're not lost so I'm sure you knew that." They huffed. "You got somewhere to go or you need somewhere to stay?"

Spoiler: IF YOU DONT KNOW NOW YOU KNOW && INFO && 03/12/19 • show
GENERAL   welcome to the end of eras, ice has melted back to life
⇥ Given name is Scott Mathew Darrow ⇥ Goes only by Catalyst or Cat
⇥ Assigned male at birth ⇥ Agender ⇥ They/Them pronouns only
Twenty-one ⇥ Born 11/27/17 ⇥ Sagittarius ⇥ Real time aging
Boss (leader) of the Badlands ⇥ Ex prisoner of the Badlands
⇥ Ex cultist (Mourningstar) ⇥ Ex member of the Young Rogues

RECENT EVENTS   done my time and served my sentence
⇥ 03/12/39 ⇥ Took Jeremy to Northstar and tortured him
⇥ 03/09/39 ⇥ Was stabbed by Mike
⇥ 03/03/39 ⇥ Took over Northstar District
⇥ 02/23/39 ⇥ Attended Hayley and Jackson's wedding

APPEARANCE   dress me up and watch me die
⇥ Catalyst is 6'2" tall; they possess a lean and muscular body, one that has a variety of old scars adorning it. They have two piercings, one in their tongue and the other in the cartilage of their left ear. They typically dress in dark colors (favoring jackets with some sort of writing on the back), and their hair is black. They're not all dark, however, as they have pale blue eyes that peer out from beneath medium-sized eyebrows.

PERSONALITY   if it feels good, tastes good, it must be mine
⇥ Catalyst is ambitious, with the cunning and ruthlessness to reach their goals by any means necessary. They can be brutal when they feel it is needed, however when it's not they won't bother. They tend to be rather aloof and apathetic to most things and people, with some very rare exceptions. Provided those around them don't cross a few specific lines, they're content to leave them be, though they've been known to take an interest in some people, which seldom has a positive end for whoever their interest is in. They can be manipulative, and will often encourage people to make bad decisions. Those that stick by them will be rewarded, but those that do not will be cast out, as they've been outcast for their entire life and have learned to appreciate loyalty wherever they can find it. Even during the most stressful of situations, they usually keep a firm grip on their temper and keep their calm, though when they do snap and lose their temper, it is uncontrollable. They're remarkably observant, often able to deign much from subtle clues in what people say, how they say it and how they act.

RELATIONS   dynasty decapitated, you just might see a ghost tonight
⇥ Molly Darrow x Austin Darrow ⇥ No siblings
Pansexual/Panromantic ⇥ Essentially taken ⇥ One Crush
⇥ Not looking but it happened ⇥ Rarely forms romantic attachment
⇥ Holds most people at arms length and doesn't get close

INTERACTION   i'm taking back the c r o w n
Hard physicallyHard mentally ⇥ Doesn't let their guard down
⇥ Is most comfortable with close ranged-weapons ⇥ Dislikes guns
Brass knuckles ⇥ A variety of knives ⇥ Blunt objects like bats
⇥ Will kill/capture/maim in certain circumstances
⇥ Will leave things be in others ⇥ Will start & finish fights
⇥ No kill/capture/maim without permission