Author Topic:  still just drinking canned coke \\ open, ultrasound pictures  (Read 118 times)

Offline hayley

• Board Mod
    • View Profile
it was the morning after the springfield party.

everyone had arrived home rather late the night before, and as hayley took a seat at the table, hope still sleeping up in her room, she set her plate of eggs in front of her, pushing it forward a bit and setting, in front of it, the small strip of several images printed out on the machine. they weren't all that great, but anton had said they were fairly good for an ultrasound at only twelve weeks.

moving a forkful of eggs into her mouth, she glanced around, realizing she was one of the first ones in the room, and let her eyes shift over to the entrance of the cafeteria as half awake people milled in, many worn out from the night before. it'd been fun, relatively uneventful but it was nice for hayley at least to say hello to her old friends. the food had been good, the springfielders had been polite, and though sheo had made a scene, no real chaos had dissolved. sure, getting the ultrasound had, in the end, left her in tears, but that morning there was a calm, a decisiveness to her fetures that hadn't been there before.

❝does anyone want to see the uh, the pictures of the babies?❞ she inquired as people began filling into the cafeteria, lifting the stack of hastily created photos and waving them about lazily. ❝anton, from springfield, he took them on this ultrasound he got working.❞
make your girlfriend mad tight, might seduce your dad type

Offline M.R. ★ D.D.

• Michael and Dallas
  • Played by Bryne
    • View Profile
Re:  still just drinking canned coke \\ open, ultrasound pictures
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 01:01:41 PM »
Michael Reynolds
Dallas Darrow
Believe it or not, Michael had actually seen the pictures of himself in the womb, since his mother had lived in an area that wasn't hit by the blackout just yet. It would come eventually, after he was born, and after that the whole family was moving, trying to follow the unnatural glow. With aging relatives, keeping them close to places with good doctors and medical care was important. Not that that was an option anymore. But thanks to the travels, Dallas also had been able to see pictures of herself too. "That's me? I look like a weird blob." That's what she'd said when she saw the pictures. He'd just thought that they were cool, and felt sort of bad fewer and fewer people were getting this opportunity.

Especially these days.

And yet, somehow, Hayley had gotten lucky. She'd gotten an ultrasound and - holy shit did she just say babies? Dallas darted over to the woman, eager to see, not catching the significance of the word choice. "I do!" She declared excitedly, grinning all the way. Michael, however, stayed back. "Did you just say babies? As in, like, plural?"

COLA WITH THE BURNT OUT TASTE
i'm the one you tell your fears to
THERE'LL NEVER BE ENOUGH OF US

Offline MARY.

• she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 05:09:02 PM »
"speech" 'thought' text
tw: mentions blood, profanity, violence, mention of death

Mary had been awake since before the sun had peeked over the horizon. Honestly, if she failed to beat the sun to rise, there was something wrong. She kept her schedule pretty predictable. Waking with, or before the sun, and going to bed not long after the sun set over the hills. The slender woman frowned slightly as she arrived on the scene moments before Hayley made her announcement.

She herself had not attended the party, not wanting to deal with the time in transit and neglect her responsibilities here. Someone had to make sure that her animals didn't go hungry or get annoyed at something. And the four oxen she had brought with her were a bit... how would she say it? Cantankerous. Her hands were shoved in her pockets, and she listened to Hayley quietly, an eyebrow raising at this announcement.

The slender woman's face lit up slightly, an ultrasound of the child, wait, children... plural? As in more than one? It seemed as though Mary would need to create another crib... that was something, a lot of work, but children were worth it. "Congratulations Hayley! If you need anything let me know, okay?" She smiled softly, and moved her hand towards Hayley's shoulder, in an attempt to pat the woman's upper arm albeit a touch awkwardly.
just passing through.
biography  -   tags   -   opinions   -   dump

Offline mickey

• he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 10:10:22 PM »

the springfield party had honestly been quite amazing, even for someone like mick, who never really cared for parties. the liquor had been nice, he’d gotten to meet his old friend and become closer to those he’d already known; mickey really couldn’t complain about that time. however, speaking of the liquor…

he could feel his head pounding as he wandered into the cafeteria, half-awake and the most mild of hangovers present. he’d immediately gone to grab a cup of coffee, pouring some into a mug, nodding his head at hayley as he went by- until hayley made a small inquiry. baby pictures? he turned his gaze over towards the photos that she lazily waved about, watching as others stepped forward to look at it. “i’d like to,” he said after a moment, glancing at her and offering the slightest bit of a smile as he stepped over to take a picture and look it over.

mickey didn’t know what to say as he stared at the ultrasounds, only staring a moment later before offering, “they’re going to be loved by a lot of people. they already are.” mick wasn’t the best with words, but he knew that he could at least try and make more sense when he spoke from the heart.

Offline BRENDAN

• ic opinions ✦ @hootowls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 11:02:49 PM »
brendan i. collins
tag: n/a. words: 371.
brendan has seen a camera before, and he’s certainly seen pictures either in books or from others, but...he’s never really experienced one before, if that makes sense. He guesses that when his parents ran away from home however many years ago (a little over fourteen?), the technology was already bust in their area, so they didn’t have a camera on them; to make matters worse, they never kept any pictures of their past lives. So, it took twelve years for Brendan to see an actual, real picture that wasn’t printed in some book, but it confused him so much so to the point where he simply settles on disliking them. He’s never ever had his picture taken before and, honestly, he doesn’t care.

Like Mary, Brendan didn’t go to the party. For him, it wasn’t so much as a matter of time and responsibilities (although his chickens are a mandatory), it was just...eh, he didn’t wanna go. Simple as that. Plus, if everyone else is gone, who’s gonna stay home and protect the lodge? Anyways, his absence at the party has only resulted in...well, confusion, to put it simply, when Hayley invites everyone to see her——uhm, Brendan doesn’t know. Ultra...sound? Looking up from his book (he’s reading and eating at the same time), he blinks, eyebrows furrowing together as people swarm around her.

the heck is that?

Putting the end of his fork on the page to mark its spot, Brendan lifts himself from his seat after a few moments of awkward staring, hands falling to his side nervously as he meanders his way towards Hayley. He refuses to get too close, therefore only allowing himself to see a hint of the pictures, but that’s enough for him; he’s already confused, tilting his head a bit as he casts a sideways glance at everyone surrounding Hayley. They all seem so happy...and yeah, he knows that the news of a baby—or two—is pretty exciting, but right now he’s just completely focused on the papers the leader is holding. Like...seriously, what in the heck is that crap?

"...I don’t get it," he finally—and quietly—mumbles, shrugging his shoulders as he strains his eyes a bit to get a better view of the...uh...ultra...sound..?
i wanna be ten feet tall, i wanna grow big red horns
fingers covered in thorns that pierce everything . tags

Offline hayley

• Board Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 04:01:20 PM »
babies. she heard the surprise as people filed over, and she stayed quiet, slowly spreading the pictures out in front of her, five in total, all from different angles, but all showing the same vague three blobs. however, she kept her hands on one that showed the three distinctly, tapping on the first white blob, on the bottom left of the photo. ❝i'm still figuring out names, but this one is baby one. a girl, you can see the shape of her head, and these are her legs, kind of curled against her.❞ her finger slowly moved to the blob on the lower right. ❝this is baby two, the boy. he's the one pressing up on my bladder apparently, making me go to the bathroom so much.❞ then, slowly, she moved her hand to the third blob, settling atop the other two. ❝and this one's baby three, another girl. she's on top of her brother and sister, i guess she's decided she's the alpha triplet. she's also apparently the one i've been feeling kick a lot.❞

then, she got quiet, glancing up at those present to gauge their reaction for a long moment before glancing back down. ❝the day i die, and am reunited with jackson, i'm going to murder him all over again for doing this to me, just so we're clear.❞ she said quietly, crossing her arms.
make your girlfriend mad tight, might seduce your dad type

Offline MILES.

• @aj
    • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 10:28:40 PM »
"speech" 'thought' text

Miles had been off doing various things that mattered little. Well, he'd been sleeping off a hangover, and while he was still a bit hungover, he was much less cranky than he had been when he had first awoken. He reminded himself to never drink that much again, he wasn't 21 anymore. Shaking his head a touch groggily the brunette looked at the group of people around him, seemed that his sister was making an announcement... It was a lot to take in.

His eyes shifted squinting against the annoyingly light that was surrounding him. With a brief flicker of his eyelids he tried to adjust his sight, though everything was still a bit too blurry for his liking. He slowly walked over, examining the piece of paper that Hayley was showing off, the blobs all looked the same, he had no clue how she knew what was what. Miles sighed softly and rubbed the side of his nose. God he was tired.

Three babies, there were three more babies on the way, well, in Hayley's case, he knew that Blake was also expecting, which made for four babies, add Hope who was still very young... there'd be five small children, infants really around the lodge. He was positive that he would not be getting any sleep in the near future, and far future as well. But he was determined to be there for his sister. "Tha-that's something Hayley." He murmured, pinching the bridge of his nose in discomfort.

He probably just needed to drink some water, yeah, that was it. He took a deep breath, maybe a bit too deep, and continued. "Anything you need, just ask, I'm here for you." He knew that they weren't in the best place in their relationship yet, but he hoped that his offer would be accepted, he really wanted to be there for his sister, and now that his injury was healing better and he could go out and about, he definitely wanted to do everything in his power to help the woman.
MILES ATTAWAY
Miles Henry Attaway is a thirty year old man. He is Hayley's half brother, and currently resides in Flintlock Lodge. He is a kind and thoughtful man, incredibly loyal to his family. He has a st. Bernard puppy named "Cassie" whom he dotes on and loves. Open to power played nonviolent interactions with characters.

Offline BRENDAN

• ic opinions ✦ @hootowls
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 10:20:16 PM »
brendan i. collins
tag: n/a. words: 328.
giving names to newborn babies—or in Brendan’s case, chickens—is a bit of a difficult task, at least to him. Usually he ends up deciding on potential names before the chicks are hatched, just so they have their names as soon as they’re out of the eggs, but with this newest batch, he just isn’t so sure; they’ve already hatched, and they don’t have names. There’s four of them, so he’s thinking something along months or seasons...? That’ll be pretty cute, but he isn’t settled on that idea just yet—it’ll take a while for him to decide. If he does name them after months, though, he’ll probably start with the spring months? Those are the best in terms of names, in his opinion, mainly because he doesn’t like the idea of a chicken named November. It just sounds...pretty fricken corny.

Anyways, As Hayley begins to show off the ultrasound pictures, Brendan grows impatient, realizing that his admittedly boring and unhelpful statement was...well, completely ignored. With a small huff, Brendan pushes past anyone in his way and positions himself behind Hayley, glaring at the pictures with a strange mixture of curiosity and concentration. At first, he can’t really tell what’s going on; to him they just look like blue-ish and gray-ish blobs on paper. But then, he begins to notice familiar shapes and, after a bit of more determined staring, he finally notices the shape of the babies. Huh—they look weird. Like, really fricken weird. And why are there three of them? Isn’t that painful?

Scrunching up his nose a bit at the thought, Brendan takes a step back, deciding that he’s seen enough. However, he doesn’t move away from the scene, and instead awkwardly rolls his shoulders as he ponders up a genuine question.

"...are those real?" he asks, pointing at one of the ultrasound pictures; he’s never seen one of them before and, after examining them, a part of him wonders if they’re just...abstract drawings or something bizarre.
i wanna be ten feet tall, i wanna grow big red horns
fingers covered in thorns that pierce everything . tags