Author Topic: 「 these empty spaces - open, visitor 」  (Read 96 times)

Offline roman.

• he/him
    • View Profile
「 these empty spaces - open, visitor 」
« on: September 04, 2019, 10:35:25 PM »

the things he did for- he stumbled briefly over his own footing, arguably the least graceful he’d ever been. if kronos had accompanied him, the irishman surely would've had something to say about it, which would've made roman have to give some sort of excuse and find something to blame. of course, in his mind, there were many things for him to blame the stumble on. worn out by walking but too prideful to take a break. exhausted by the climate that was completely different from bluestem’s own. he couldn’t even tell the last time he had been able to see his own breath, coming out in short puffs as he dragged himself on further.

no matter what reason he would find, though, all of it would eventually lead back to him. he should’ve thought this out a bit more. he’d always had a plan, never quite one to rush into things without some sort of backbone or merit. but climbing a mountain in a generally-cold climate wasn’t the wisest of decisions for anyone, let alone someone who prided themselves on having slightly more intellect than your average run-of-the-mill joe.. he wrapped his arms around himself as if to preserve any heat. out of all things he'd done wrong, he figured, at least he had worn a coat.

he neared the top and could just begin to see the lodging in the distance. a soft sigh. roman felt nothing short of relief. for the first time in a while during his trek, he slowed to a stop. stared at the lodge with expectant, frosty blue eyes. and waited. he had never been to flintlock lodge, but he had seen a few members in passing at the vow renewal. some more than others... while he played the waiting game, he took the time to sling the backpack - which now felt increasingly heavier than when he first set off on this journey - off of his shoulders and down onto the snow-covered ground, all the while keeping his gaze on the lodge.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 07:22:50 AM by roman. »
【 learn not to trust a fox 】
bio @elysianhover

Offline BRENDAN

• ic opinions ✦ @hootowls
    • View Profile
Re: 「 these empty spaces - open, visitor 」
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 06:44:35 AM »
(( tw mentions of death ))

T
his will sound very edgy and somewhat depressing, but Brendan has never been able to fully be expectant of someone. Yes, when he was younger he had his parents, but that didn’t last; ever since a little over two years ago they’ve been gone—dead. That’s...that’s all there is to it. As for the rest of the lodge, though, he doesn’t know. Whoever cooks in the kitchen provides the food, but Brendan provides the eggs for the food. Sometimes, he can even collect feathers if people want to make new pillows or something...but they’d just have to get used to the fact that they don’t have luxurious birds for those feathers, he guesses. And as for his self-defense crap, well——he’s mostly alone on that. Usually fights end up with someone rushing in to the rescue, but training and whatnot happens to be completely solo.

As expected of him, he is completely okay with that fact. Relying on people hasn’t gotten him very far, unfortunately, so he might as well try his best to do it all himself. Typical teenage angst, but still true.

Anyways—yet another stranger at the border. Brilliant. Mhm. Stepping off of the front porch, Brendan does the typical "stranger at the border" into his walkie-talkie, before stuffing it away and marching forward. Tightening his fingers around his staff, he throws on his best "business face," stopping a few yards or so away from the newcomer. Okay, Brendan. Get serious.

"Who are you?" he demands, cheeks puffing out a tiny bit while he darn near sizes up the stranger.
BRENDAN COLLINS. 260 WORDS.
i wanna be ten feet tall, i wanna grow big red horns
fingers covered in thorns that pierce everything . tags

Offline ☆ S - M .

• . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 04:38:47 PM »
      Frank had not seen Roman for some time, and by some time Frank actually meant barely any time at all. But, it felt like days dragged on considerably when he wasn't in the company of the strangely charming man. Needless to say, but the pair of them had grown pretty close pretty quickly - Frank didn't exactly know what they were, to say the least, but he was happy to take things one step at a time he supposed. He was never really one to overthink things, instead taking life one slow and steady step at a time. Roman wasn't always on Frank's mind, but he was on his mind more than he liked to admit, he supposed. Even a part of him dared to say that he missed seeing his face around.

Stood along the treeline, Frank stood smoking, hugging one arm around his torso in order to preserve as much heat as possible. His family had grown up in a hustling and bustling city alongside the coast. Climate was almost always sweltering hot, shorts and vests being the outfit of choice for many. Flintlock was a change, undeniably so, but it was sure to have thrown family enemies off the scent for long enough, yeah? It'd obviously worked for some years, seeing as apparently Edmund and their father had never bumped into anybody who wanted their blood and guts up here on top of the mountain. The walkie-talkie sounded from his belt, Frank pursing his lips in contemplation before stubbing his cigarette out.

He was never one for approaching a newcomer, yet instead peering from a distance before returning to whatever had kept his mind busy. Tipping his chin upwards, he peered from where Brendan was confronting the newcomer, only to see a familiar face which sent Frank's heart beating just a little harder. Feet found themselves wandering over towards Brendan and said newcomer, before stopping nearby. ❝ Don't worry about it. ❞ Frank commented casually, eyes wandering over towards Roman. ❝ I know him... Didn't expect you to climb all the way up here. ❞ Frank commented naturally, although a part of him sounded truly pleased to see Roman again, a quietly fond gaze unable to break away from the visitor.

|| D.S.M. || A.S.M. || F.S.M. || E.M. || H.S. || I.S. ||
— 'CAUSE I CAN'T CHANGE, THESE OUTLAW WAYS
OF MY COLD BLACK HEART. I'M A BAD, BAD MAN.
dominik stirling-moray / alfonso stirling-moray / franklin stirling-moray

Offline roman.

• he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 06:21:22 PM »

when roman had first ran into frank, it had been one of the few, few moments where the young man had acted purely on impulse. he had been hurt, and upset, and all the rationale blurring together. acting purely on impulse. that had been when he barely knew the man. the quiet, seemingly overlooked man known as frank. and while this plan had initially been to make kronos jealous – it still was the plan, albeit now only in the smallest part of roman’s mind, pushed back in the far corner whenever the man was around – he was smart enough to at least acknowledge that the fondness he felt for the man was genuine. the man who seemed to be in the background seemingly unnoticed was always at the forefront of his mind. and that- not just any man could do that.

the kid, puffing his cheeks slightly, trying to appear all intimidating was almost enough for roman to laugh. almost. instead he remained relatively impassive, glancing between the boy and his staff, the only sign of a true reaction being a cloud of breath past his lips. this? this was who they had as their first line of defense? he had been ready to answer the teen’s simple question, except someone had managed to catch his eye between that time. stepping nearby. none other than frank. still-in-the-closet frank, he silently noted as a reminder upon glancing between frank and the teen. telling brendan not to worry about it, that he knew him. he relaxed – he hadn’t even realized he’d been tense to begin with.

and while he knew that he couldn’t out what he and frank were – like he even knew himself – he still couldn’t help but subtly come undone with the man around. the smallest ghost of a smile tilted one corner of his lips. then, a shrug, and a casual, vague, “there’s a method to my madness.” a reason. the reason very well being frank- but leaving it vague, vague enough for frank to put the pieces together himself… it seemed more rewarding. gazing at the man a moment longer before he tore his gaze away and, with a sigh, leaned over to pick up his bag.

“i was planning on stick around for a couple days.” blue eyes peered back up, glancing between the two. “if that’s alright.”
bio @elysianhover

Offline BRENDAN

• ic opinions ✦ @hootowls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 11:32:47 PM »
H
onestly, Brendan refuses to believe in those he meets. Like, not believe as in whether or not they exist, but believe as in...having faith in them, or something. Putting trust into them. Heck—Brendan highly doubts that he truly trusts anyone right now. As mentioned many, many times, he tends to be very independent; for the most part, he’d much rather do everything by himself. Things would turn out better that way, maybe. It’ll all go the way he expects it to, the way he wants it to. Call him a control freak, but his life has been so out of his hands that he feels lost without some form of control. Independence, in this case, is his outlet.

Shifting his feet around, Brendan stiffens, meeting Roman’s gaze sternly before darting his eyes towards the floor. Okay. Okay, Brendan—stand still. Be strong. If this man makes any sudden moves, fricken fight. Yet the man doesn’t move suddenly, doesn’t aim to hurt Brendan; instead, he just...stands there. Completely ignoring Brendan’s question. Like...okay. Fine. Whatever. Go off, he guesses. Rolling his shoulders, Brendan steps forward, ready to repeat the question before——uh. Crap, what’s his name? Uhhh...he’s one of the Edmund brothers, a part of the sea. A wave, but Brendan isn’t creative enough to realize that.

Stepping back, Brendan huffs, eyes narrowing into slits as he whips his stare back and forth between Edmund-brother and the stranger. At the question, Brendan darn near snorts, a scowl forming on his features. Okay—yeah. Sure. Alright. Uh huh.

"Give me your name," Brendan presses, tone hard as rock while he steps forward.
BRENDAN COLLINS. 266 WORDS.
i wanna be ten feet tall, i wanna grow big red horns
fingers covered in thorns that pierce everything . tags

Offline ☆ S - M .

• . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 10:37:10 AM »
      Frank was not exactly the most open of people, tending to bottle a lot up and keep to himself. Many would see him as his general quiet and shy demeanor and, honestly, Franklin preferred it this way. Nobody had to learn about him, potential things which they could hold against him or little secrets which he just wasn't ready to tell just yet. And, that was why he and Roman were to remain a secret. Frank just wasn't ready to tell anybody - he didn't even know what he and Roman were, so why would he say anything?

In the time of the two of them... knowing each other, it felt nice to have his feelings validated. In fact, he really liked Roman, despite the chilled veil he covered himself with. Frank was never trusting, and yet he trusted Roman. A bad decision on his part. The closer they grew, Frank was beginning to love, yet love alone. He was being used, but he never realized how good it felt to be used. The validation he felt. That feeling of genuinely believing that somebody cared. Yeah, who wouldn't love it?

The corner of his lip curled upwards as Roman's comment, averting his gaze quickly and carding his finger through his thick blond locks. ❝ I'm sure that's all right... What do you think, Brendan? ❞ Franklin asked, looking over at the teenager who didn't seem to be too trusting of the situation. ❝ Uh... This is Roman. He's from Bluestem. ❞ Hands gestured towards Roman before Frank coyly flitted his gaze back towards Roman. Here, let me carry that for you. ❞ Quick to offer, Frank reached his hand out to take Roman's bag. ❝ I'm sure my brother will be fine having you visit. ❞

|| D.S.M. || A.S.M. || F.S.M. || E.M. || H.S. || I.S. ||
— 'CAUSE I CAN'T CHANGE, THESE OUTLAW WAYS
OF MY COLD BLACK HEART. I'M A BAD, BAD MAN.
dominik stirling-moray / alfonso stirling-moray / franklin stirling-moray

Offline roman.

• he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 10:36:54 PM »

what’s in a name? the man watched the kid press on about what his name was - taking a step forward as he did so. it was enough for roman to raise a brow. as if it was terribly important to know what to call him. he felt justified in asking that, what’s in a name? so far he had yet to be impressed with the kid, but there was a possibility that could change. slight possibility. that chance could wait until later, though- because at the moment it was hard to focus on much else aside from frank.

he was a good guy. a good heart. it was a shame when people as good as frank ended up getting overlooked by the majority of people. even worse when people as good as him ended up being used as some sort of pawn but… that wasn’t the main point. the main point was that frank was someone roman liked being around. he was a breath of fresh air in a world where roman constantly felt strangled and deprived of oxygen. a man who genuinely seemed to care for the man in a world where he often felt shunned or unwanted. who wouldn’t dream of someone like that?

frank introduced him to the kid, roman glancing between the kid and saying a plain, “nice to meet you, brendan.” nice was a rather broad term for the pair’s meeting. brendan, a teen who didn’t seem trusting of roman, and roman, who had yet to be truly impressed by the kid’s “strictly business” approach. frank was quick to offer to carry his bag, and that was enough for a better outlook on the situation. he definitely seemed more relaxed, at ease, as he handed the bag to frank. “thanks.” he shoved his hands in his pockets, looking at frank for a moment before walking alongside him. “how’ve you been? feels like it’s been forever.” he only wished he could reach out a hand and simply touch the man beside him - a hand on his back, arm around the shoulder - but if he was going to stick it out with the man he might as well not be a dick and out him. all he could do was stare, a certain fondness gleaming in his blue depths.

bio @elysianhover