Author Topic: rearview mirror >> open; return  (Read 177 times)

Offline MILES.

• @aj
    • he/him
    • View Profile
rearview mirror >> open; return
« on: November 01, 2019, 01:15:01 PM »
"speech" 'thought' text
tw mentions of alcohol, smoking, death, and violence

Who was the figure trudging up the hill towards the town? It was a lank man, accompanied by a large dog, bounding through the snow as though it was in a winter playground. The man's head was covered by a hat, and hood, a scarf wound around his neck and covering his nose and mouth so that only two piercing eyes were visible.

There was nothing really alarming about the man, he had a rifle secured to a large pack on his back, gloves on his hands, a pair of worn, but warm looking trousers and boots laced up and tied tightly completed his look. He was definitely dressed for the weather on a mountain. Beside him, the dog bounced, occasionally stopping to dive into a snowdrift, presumably in pursuit of some mouse or rabbit hidden beneath.

Miles smiled complacently at the energetic dog, still a puppy in his eyes but four times the size she had been as a puppy, she was still growing however. He stopped in the village, assuming there was still a lookout on the roof, and preferring not to be shot again, that had been... an interesting experience he had to admit.

He leaned against the wall of a building in need of repair. Cassie had taken to chasing her tail enthusiastically, running around in circles with clear excitement. While this place held happiness, love, and kindness in it, it also had some sort of pain in it's memory as well.

What he was saddest about, was that he'd missed the birth of his nieces or nephews... and that was painful to him. He missed his existing niece, and his sister as well, however, there was nothing to be done about that now, he'd been gone, and for, at least to him, a good reason. Though he wondered if anyone would see it as one.

His eyes were narrowed slightly as he scanned the area before him for a figure, a person, a sign of life. He did hope that someone came soon, he hand't had coffee in months, and he certainly wanted some right about now.
MILES ATTAWAY
Miles Henry Attaway is a thirty year old man. He is Hayley's half brother, and currently resides in Flintlock Lodge. He is a kind and thoughtful man, incredibly loyal to his family. He has a st. Bernard puppy named "Cassie" whom he dotes on and loves. Open to power played nonviolent interactions with characters.

Offline EDMUND.

• . . .
    • View Profile
Re: rearview mirror >> open; return
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 05:52:14 PM »
      Danger was definitely looming.

Ed's eyes were sharp and cold as he stilled in the flurry, watching from his post on the roof as a silhouette trekked carefully up the hill with expertise. As if he'd climbed this mountain many times before. Edmund was wary, however; trust never came easy anymore. It never did to begin with, but now he was even doubting his own family. He was even doubting himself. And Edmund didn't like the sight of the rifle on the man's back.

Slipping off the roof and scaling down the ladder swiftly, Ed then prepared his rifle as he tread carefully around the little village houses, slowing to a stop at he then had sights on the man and his dog.

Agh.

Another false alarm.

Finally, Ed exhaled a breath, realizing he'd been holding his breath, and with a sigh and a subtle hiss beneath his breath, he slung his weapon over his shoulder again before stepping out from behind a wall and trudging over towards the familiar face.

❝ It's been a while, Miles. ❞ Ed commented carefully, tipping his head towards the man respectfully. Hayley would be pleased to see her brother, maybe. Possibly, a little more infuriated than pleased actually - she'd have many questions, just as Ed had. And so, after quickly uttering in the walkie talkie for Hayley to come to the village, Ed straightened up and questioned Miles.

❝ Where did you run off to? ❞

Spoiler: tags :: updated 07/20 • show
basics.
⋟ edmund theodore stirling-moray // ed, eddie, moray
⋟ goes by the name edmund moray
⋟ male // he/him
⋟ twenty three // ages real time // born seventh august
⋟ member of flintlock lodge // formerly a traveler with his family
⋟ product of an organized crime family, his father the mafia godfather
⋟ joined FL two years ago

appearance.
faceclaim - finn cole
voice claim - finn cole (tw in video. blood & violence)
⋟ 5'9ft // stocky, well-built frame
⋟ muted blue eyes and dirty blonde hair
⋟ physical health - 100% // current injuries: none
⋟ mental health - 100% // N/A

personality.
⋟ quiet in nature but confident in himself
⋟ completely fearless, almost foolishly so
⋟ insensitive and callous // cares for very few
⋟ very calm and calculative // always planning in his head
⋟ disciplined and practices good self-control
⋟ very flirtatious and persuasive // overly lustful
⋟ aloof and untrustworthy // jealous and deceitful
⋟ tactful and knows how to get what he wants
⋟ can be very nasty when he wants to be
⋟ but can also be very protective and faithful too
⋟ has a strong set of morals // has the quality of honor

relationships.
⋟ alfred stirling x leonora moray // both deceased
⋟ three older brothers // alfonso, dominik & franklin
⋟ the fifth stirling-moray brother, thomas, died years ago
⋟ two younger half-siblings // henry & ida
⋟ bisexual but he stays silent about homosexual activity
⋟ husband to blake moray
⋟ father of thomas moray and charlotte moray
⋟ owns a west highland terrier, angus

interaction.
storage // playlist // pinterest
⋟ physically: very hard // mentally: hard
⋟ father taught him how to kill at a young age
⋟ insensitive towards injuring or killing others // will do so without hesitation
⋟ very abrupt with newcomers but also willing to help them
⋟ often found guarding the lodge with a rifle
I STRUGGLED WITH SOME DEMONS.
I DIDN'T KNOW I HAD
PERMISSION TO MURDER AND TO MAIM

Offline hayley

• Board Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 07:18:23 PM »
to say hayley would be infuriated would be an understatement. months had passed since her brother had left, and any time someone so much as mentioned miles's name, the only expression from her was one of a cold, dejected fury. he'd walked out, and he was the one person who shouldn't have. jackson died, the people she cared about disappeared, and after all of it, it was her family she thought she could count on. mason had stayed, so had summer until she'd departed for her own reasons, but summer had at least spoken to hayley. the teenager was haunted by the ghosts around her, by the ghost of jackson and her recently departed mother, but at least she'd promised to visit.

as she came approaching, arms crossed to conserve her own warmth, as soon as she recognized the man before her, her features shifted from cool and guarded to a cold rage. eyes narrowed, jaw clenched, she was quiet as she stopped beside edmund, clearing her throat. ❝yeah, miles, where the fuck did you go?❞ she said, tone even but her anger seeping into the curl of her lips as she eyed the man up.
make your girlfriend mad tight, might seduce your dad type

Offline MILES.

• @aj
    • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 10:21:37 AM »
"speech" 'thought' text
tw mentions of alcohol, death, and violence

The quick appearance of Edmund was in all honesty to be expected. The younger man had always been quite good at checking out activity all around. The man, more slender, gaunt, looking as though he'd missed many a meal, offered a wry smile at Edmund's comment, only for his face to grow still, serious, silent, no laughter in his usually dancing eyes as Edmund asked where he'd been.

It was a trip that should have lasted a week... two weeks at most. But it had turned out to last months instead. He opened his mouth to reply, then promptly shut it when Hayley's figure appeared, might as well wait for her to come closer, and tell the story once. Why waste words?

His eyes stung from the lash of the cold wind that sprung up, seemingly out of nowhere. He squinted against this, and dug his hands into his pockets for warmth. Swallowing back a lump that had formed in his throat as his sister spoke, the man squirmed slightly under her seething gaze. It was clear she was pissed. Who wouldn't be?

"I-" He cut himself off as his voice cracked slightly, well, that was a great impression to make. It wasn't that he feared Hayley, he feared losing her, having her cut him out of her life completely... he had already lost so many who were so close, so dear to him, he couldn't lose her, arguably the last person he could call family.

He coughed slightly, and forced himself to continue. "Mom's been dead a year. I went down to visit her grave..." He explained. Should he leave the danger, near death out, let Hayley hate him? He wanted to, but truth was something that he strived for always. Even if that truth made him look like a bit of an idiot, hell, he was an idiot. He'd essentially abandoned his family.

He took a shuddering breath. "Shoulda been a week at most, but... on my way I got turned around terrible, Cassie was missing, and I was stuck in the woods." Not the most glamorous. "Got captured by some raiders who sold me to a mine where I wasted away for what seemed like an eternity... after an explosion and confusion I managed to escape, and tried to figure out where the hell I was."

His face gave away little of the agony he'd suffered while in that mine, working his fingers to the bone, little sleep, less food, slowly dying inch by inch. "Came across a trader who had Cassie, barely recognized the girl, but she recognized me... wouldn't go back with the trader. The man pitied me some and offered me work in exchange for some food and clothing to head up to the mountain... home." He closed his eyes briefly, exhaustion tugging at his limbs.

"Finally made my way up here with the supplies I'd worked for... been trekking for days... but I'm back now, if... if you'll have me back that is." He finished his abridged story and shivered the cold finally seeping though his warm outerwear, though Cassie didn't seem to mind, she was digging in a snow drift this entire time, sticking her face in to smell periodically.
MILES ATTAWAY
Miles Henry Attaway is a thirty year old man. He is Hayley's half brother, and currently resides in Flintlock Lodge. He is a kind and thoughtful man, incredibly loyal to his family. He has a st. Bernard puppy named "Cassie" whom he dotes on and loves. Open to power played nonviolent interactions with characters.

Offline EDMUND.

• . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 09:22:15 AM »
      Edmund blinked, features otherwise monotonous and unmoved as Miles explained wearily what had happened to him. Oh. Well, the words were surely worrying to some degree. Sold off to a mine? This guy's luck was horrific. But, otherwise, Edmund couldn't express very much sympathy. Of course, not because of Miles - the guy hadn't even done anything to annoy Edmund, personally - but Ed just had a lot more on his plate than he'd ever care to admit, enough to leave him somewhat anxious, wary, and most certainly impassive to anybody else's misfortune.

Miles hoped to return and, honestly, even though that was ultimately Hayley's decision, Edmund would be there to sway her thoughts in what he felt was the right direction. Miles hadn't left for the hell of it, and he didn't stay away for the hell of it, either. He'd been traumatized to say the least. Edmund turned his head to look at Hayley's reaction - oh, she was mad - before he lowered his eyes and took a step back, gesturing up towards the Lodge. ❝ Go get yourself a hot drink to warm up. ❞ He uttered, flitting his gaze towards the dog before glancing at Hayley.

Maybe she'd be frustrated by Eddie taking the situation into his own hands, but he wasn't going to allow for anybody to react using their heart rather than their head, despite just how analytical and logical Hayley was. And so, Ed would offer Miles the chance to come inside - perhaps Hayley could mull on whether she wanted Miles around for a while before making her decision. But, a part of him already knew that she'd rather him nowhere else but here.

Family was difficult sometimes, but all you could do was be there for them, regardless of the circumstances. Edmund knew that too well. Far too well.

Spoiler: tags :: updated 07/20 • show
basics.
⋟ edmund theodore stirling-moray // ed, eddie, moray
⋟ goes by the name edmund moray
⋟ male // he/him
⋟ twenty three // ages real time // born seventh august
⋟ member of flintlock lodge // formerly a traveler with his family
⋟ product of an organized crime family, his father the mafia godfather
⋟ joined FL two years ago

appearance.
faceclaim - finn cole
voice claim - finn cole (tw in video. blood & violence)
⋟ 5'9ft // stocky, well-built frame
⋟ muted blue eyes and dirty blonde hair
⋟ physical health - 100% // current injuries: none
⋟ mental health - 100% // N/A

personality.
⋟ quiet in nature but confident in himself
⋟ completely fearless, almost foolishly so
⋟ insensitive and callous // cares for very few
⋟ very calm and calculative // always planning in his head
⋟ disciplined and practices good self-control
⋟ very flirtatious and persuasive // overly lustful
⋟ aloof and untrustworthy // jealous and deceitful
⋟ tactful and knows how to get what he wants
⋟ can be very nasty when he wants to be
⋟ but can also be very protective and faithful too
⋟ has a strong set of morals // has the quality of honor

relationships.
⋟ alfred stirling x leonora moray // both deceased
⋟ three older brothers // alfonso, dominik & franklin
⋟ the fifth stirling-moray brother, thomas, died years ago
⋟ two younger half-siblings // henry & ida
⋟ bisexual but he stays silent about homosexual activity
⋟ husband to blake moray
⋟ father of thomas moray and charlotte moray
⋟ owns a west highland terrier, angus

interaction.
storage // playlist // pinterest
⋟ physically: very hard // mentally: hard
⋟ father taught him how to kill at a young age
⋟ insensitive towards injuring or killing others // will do so without hesitation
⋟ very abrupt with newcomers but also willing to help them
⋟ often found guarding the lodge with a rifle
I STRUGGLED WITH SOME DEMONS.
I DIDN'T KNOW I HAD
PERMISSION TO MURDER AND TO MAIM