Author Topic: this love is glowing in the dark — private  (Read 399 times)

Offline paddy

• mostly inactive.
  • A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' first year! Art by Hootowls.
    • View Profile
this love is glowing in the dark — private
« on: January 03, 2020, 11:40:24 PM »
i love jungkook

claire loves u!

claire loves u!

claire loves u!
saffron l. clarke ✧・゚:*
Saffron hates working. It’s not like anyone really likes the place where they work, and she knows that, but for a first job, the Cinemark is pretty underwhelming. She had thought that she would enjoy working there, considering her love for movies as a self-proclaimed cinephile, but she really doesn’t seem to enjoy it as much as she thought she would. Of course, she probably should’ve expected that obviously, she wouldn’t actually get to see or do anything movie related, just make peoples’ movie snacks and clean up the theatres afterwards, but still. She had hoped she would have a little fun, but the only fun seems to come from some of her coworkers. Even if she did fully hate it, though, Saffron would never dream of quitting. After her Uncle Paul had left her and her Aunt Lita, the need for extra cash had increased exponentially. Of course, Saffron isn’t particularly upset about Uncle Paul’s departure; he had been a terrible person and done unspeakable things to her. Besides, with their new house and her new school, things are starting to look up for Saffron, even with the money problem constantly looming over her and Aunt Lita’s heads. Maybe it’s just her being optimistic, but she’s happy with her situation right now, at least somewhat.

Of course, there’s one person that seems to add a lot to that happiness. Ozzy is... something else. She had met him when she had landed the job at the Cinemark, and then she had found out that he attends her new school, as well. He’s perhaps her best friend in this new town, and at first, it had felt really good to know someone to talk to. Of course, she can’t really say that her relationship with him stops at just friends. She’s been developing a crush on him for a couple of weeks now, and god, if she could just admit it out loud to him, she would, but her confidence doesn’t extend just that high. She had thought, at some point in time, that he had maybe felt the same for her, but it can’t possibly be true. He’s going to homecoming with someone else, and when she had heard that, she felt a little piece of her want to scream at him. It would have been completely irrational, of course, because she doesn’t own him, but she’s just so frustrated that he won’t somehow pick up on her hints and just ask her out. After she had heard of his date, she had said yes to the first person who had asked her (some kid named Logan from her second period biology class), and she feels bad for doing it because she really feels nothing for the kid at all, but she’ll be damned if she shows up to the dance without a date while her closest friend and boy she likes is off dancing with some other girl all night.

Speaking of the devil, she sees him from across the room as she wheels out the garbage bin from her last theatre of the night, standing there behind the cash register at the concessions area, looking bored. She quickly rolls the trash bin to where they tell them to put them and starts to walk over, grin plastered onto her face. Whether he likes her back or not (and it’s definitely starting to look like the latter), Saffron can’t help her nervous smile when she’s around him. He’s dorky and funny and cute, and while she hadn’t exactly been enamoured with him from the start, he had always had a tendency to make her laugh, which is only heightened now that she has a crush on him.

As she strolls over to the concessions and places her forearms on the counter, leaning her body over it and placing her head in her hands, she looks up at him, a slightly teasing smile on her face. Every time she speaks to him recently, she catches herself staring at his big brown eyes and wanting to run a hand through his curly hair. She has to blink to refocus herself. “You ready to leave, Ozzy? I really mean it this time, I’m pretty sure I’ve had enough of the smell of popcorn for my entire life,” she jokes, wrinkling her nose slightly to accentuate her words. She doesn’t even remember what life was like before they had made this little routine for themselves: show up to work, laugh and joke and mess around with each other the whole shift, wait for each other at the end of the shift, drive home together in Ozzy’s car while fighting over who gets the aux cord. She really probably could walk home in only a little longer than normal walk (she doesn’t exercise much except for dance, anyways, so she could probably use it) or ask her aunt to pick her up, but there’s something about the car ride home with Ozzy that makes her chest feel all warm inside and light her heart up.

Saffron waits for Ozzy to close up the cash register and make his way around, then teasingly links arms with him and wiggles her eyebrows as they start to walk towards the door leading to the parking lot. “So... dance tomorrow, big guy. Big homecoming one. You excited to finally show me all your moves?” she asks. The topic is unavoidable, the dance being in less than twenty-four hours, and it’s something of a habit that she starts to assume that the time will be spent together. She quickly realizes what she said and unlinks her arm from his, backtracking a little. “I mean, your date. Hope you don’t step all over her feet, that poor girl,” Saffron jokes, but the lightheartedness in it is somewhat lost in her tone and the quick withdrawal of her arm. Her hand starts to hang awkwardly by her side now, and she shoves both of them into the pocket of the hoodie she had put on. Quickly, to change the subject from the girl who makes Saffron irrationally upset, she speaks again. “I, for one, can’t wait to bust down in the gym with a bunch of sweaty-ass teenagers, especially when half of them are gonna be wasted. Sounds like a total blast,” she says sarcastically, but she knows he knows that she really isn’t joking. She hadn’t gone to the homecoming dance in her previous school before, and it’s going to be her first one, and she’s made it abundantly clear in the past how excited she is. Whether or not she’s going with Ozzy, she knows she’ll at least have some fun (although admittedly, maybe more if he were to be her date, but she can’t dwell on that right now).

@vix
sometimes i feel cold, even paralyzed
my interior world needs to sanitize

Offline vix

• semi-active.
    • View Profile
Re: this love is glowing in the dark — private
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 09:57:54 PM »
i love jungkook

claire loves u!

claire loves u!

claire loves u!
osbourne j. carter ✧・゚:*
Despite all of his complaints about Cinemark, he does like it here. Sure, there are much better ways he could be spending his time:( did you mean: skatepark and video games? ) but hey, he had to make his money somehow and coming from the opposite of privilege, this was his only option. Besides the money, there is a community: with the exception from the managers and an old geezer or two, Cinemark is overrun by a bunch of first-job teenagers, and so nothing's really awkward, everyone easy to get along with. Not quite a home away from home, but had it been a job Ozzy felt alienated he would have quit a long time ago.

But that didn't mean it was easy. No, not exactly. With an overlarge of teenagers, angst is likely to follow. Who is dating who? They're hooking up? Knew it. Tension between those two. Again? Ozzy, while not really in drama himself, became the listener, the therapist. Not as if he ever consented, but what could he say? Many described his vibe to be . . . chill, non-judgmental, and inviting, and he can back up that claim. Although he liked his coworkers, his mind often was infiltrated with his own problems, and it seemed like Ozzy himself finally had issues of his own.

Hah. Not as if he'd ever talk about them but here's the synopsis: Saffron. The new girl on the block, with big hair and an ever bigger personality. Everyone here is superficial, admittedly even himself, but Saffron? Isn't. She's boisterous and unafraid, lights up a room with just her presence, and ever since she'd arrived at Cinemark he's had a crush on her. Not if that's unlike him. He flitted from crush to crush like a fly to fruit, but quite often it never went anywhere past an exchanged glance at a bus station. Saffron was an easier opportunity . . . except it wasn't that easy. For the first few weeks he could barely get out a sentence to her without sounding dumb. And even now, when they're friends that could have actual raw conversation, the thought of telling her how he feels ? Of being rejected ? Terrifies him. They gravitate towards each other in a room, so of course there is suspicions that something's there. But she's oblivious, and suspicion doesn't make a relationship. It's the reason he said yes when Gabi asked him out to homecoming ( for the third time )

"Is that even a question? I got a date with Destiny." Not literally a girl named Destiny. At this point, Saffron would know he means the game. Since they close so late, he knows the first thought in mind should be him going to bed, but to be fair his sleeping schedule is not exactly the best, and he's nervous about tomorrow. A tomorrow he doesn't even want to think about until he's forced to when his foster mom is readying him up, licking her thumb and rubbing it across his cheek, and trying to take a gazillion pictures. But, of course he doesn't get that luxury. Saffron is excited, he can tell that much. And no wonder; she's the new kid and already, there are guys that are not him asking her out. He's not shocked that others fall for her charm. There was a reason he did after all.

He clocks out, goes in the back to slip on his hoodie, and joins her. When their arms link, his heart leaps. He has to pretend as it's normal. This is normal for Saffron, it's her thing. But his hands sweat and he needs to stop. She, of course mentions the dance. Show her all his dance moves? Unless they were doing the cupid shuffle, he doesn’t think that'd be happening. Instead, she'll be with Logan, he Gabi. She seems to remember this, correct herself, moves her arm away. Was she trying not to give him the wrong impression? Ozzy shifts awkwardly as she unlinks her arm, moving his hands to his hoodie, toying with his keychain inside. "Uh, yeah." He mutters, trying to sound anything other than awkward, eyes following his own feet as they walk. "I'll have you know, though, that I took a hiphop class in the 2nd grade during an After School Program. I think I'm going to impress someone in that building."  He glances briefly at her, trying to look serious but the facade breaks and he grins.

"Oh yeah. Sounds like a blast. Feel like there's better things I can be doing." Unlike her, his sarcasm matches how he feels: he's not much of a party type'a guy. They were overwhelming, reeked of sweat and desperation, but he knew how Saffron felt. This was her first homecoming, and even if he wasn't her date, she deserved that much.

He opens the back door, walking out in a crisp night sky as he makes his way over towards his car. It's something he saved for, but it's not much. He worries the driver's side will break last minute, and he has to save up to replace the heat as it only works sometimes. As they get in, he starts it up, then attempts to reach for the aux cord before she could.     
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 12:55:08 AM by vix »
so, i heard the world doesn't revolve around me /:
Hoot loves your aesthetics

Offline paddy

• mostly inactive.
  • A badge for members who were here during Bearbones' first year! Art by Hootowls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 12:38:49 AM »
i love jungkook

claire loves u!

claire loves u!

claire loves u!
Saffron can practically feel the awkwardness settle in as she slips up, forgets that they won’t be at the dance together. She can see him stick his hands into his hoodie pocket, as well, playing with something there (probably his car keys, by the slight jangling sound, and she mentally curses herself for creating the lapse in atmosphere. She looks up again at him as he speaks to break the tension, and she can’t help the laugh that escapes her lips as he tells her of his second grade hip hop classes. “Oh my god, I need to see that. Ozzy Carter on the dance floor, popping and locking?” she jokes, blushing slightly as she takes note of his wide, larger-than-life grin. He has a way of diffusing whatever tension lingers between them, but she thinks that also may just be lying in his ability to make her laugh whenever he feels like it. He doesn’t try half the time, either, and she knows it, but she can’t control her silly schoolgirl giggles around him. He sends stupid little butterflies racing through her stomach, and she has to turn her head and look at the yellow Vans on her feet as she walks in order to hide the slight tint to her cheeks.

She can’t help but look up almost immediately, anyways, as he speaks again—some sort of physical pull he has on her draws her face to turn and look at him—and she merely tuts softly at the sarcasm lacing his dreary words. “Oh, come on, what else would you be doing, playing Call of Duty in your room while occasionally texting me about the chemistry homework?” she teases, only half-joking. She knows that’s definitely what he would have been doing, of course, but she also knows better than everyone that the pair of them talk about more than just school and homework. If she looked through her text messages with Ozzy right now, she would first see a picture of her dog she sent him earlier before clocking in (only after seeing the contact picture of him making a stupid face at the camera, his face pressed up against hers as she rolls her eyes, and smiling, of course), then continue to scroll through hours and hours of conversations. Inside jokes, screenshots of funny tweets, stupid pictures back and forth, late night talks about family life, the likes. ”Besides,” she adds, “You still have a date! You’ll have so much fun, Gabi’s nice,” Saffron continues, this time forcing the smile onto her features as she reassures him. Even thinking of the pair of them makes her a little sad, but she wants to make her friend feel better, and that matters more than her own feelings right now.

She’s definitely a little bit of a hypocrite in this moment, reassuring him that his date is nice when she’s so dreading having to go with her own. Yes, Logan is nice as well, and she really doesn’t have any reason to dislike him; he has dark hair, light eyes, good grades, and most importantly, he actually likes Saffron enough to want to go to the dance with her. The only problem with him is that he’s just not Ozzy. No matter how much she tries to like Logan, she can’t; even her Aunt Lita jokes about how little Saffron likes him. It’s a little bit of a problem, the fact that she just can’t bring herself to like him when he obviously likes her, and that she’s hung up on a boy who doesn’t even feel the same. ”But what if that boy likes you back? Why don’t you just tell him, Ronnie?” Aunt Lita had asked her. In all honesty, Saffron knows why: she’s terrified of his rejection. If they stay friends, nothing will change, and she can just stew in her crush on Ozzy in peace.

As they near closer to Ozzy’s car, Saffron can feel the bite of the wind kick in from the gust attacking her exposed ears. claps her hands over them in order to stop them from going completely red, and only takes her hands off when they reach Ozzy’s car. She opens the passenger side’s door and gets in, buckling the seatbelt in place. As she looks back up, she notices him reaching for the aux cord, and she can’t control the loud yell that escapes from her mouth as she reaches forward, batting his hand away and plugging her own phone in instead. “Sorry, Ozzy, you snooze, you lose,” she says with a shrug of her shoulders as she opens the Spotify app on her phone. She picks a playlist without really looking at it then presses shuffle, grinning victoriously at Ozzy as Ivy by Frank Ocean starts playing on the car’s speaker. Sh places her phone in the cupholder separating their seats, knowing that Ozzy could probably just take the aux with her phone laying in the open like that, but she can’t find herself to care. She sings along loudly, grinning at her friend in the driver’s seat. ”I thought that I was dreaming when you said you loved me—come on, you should definitely sing along with me, you have to know the words to this one,” Saffron laughs, waiting for him to pull the car out of the Cinemark parking lot. “If you don’t sing with me, I’ll ban you from seeing my dog.”

Offline vix

• semi-active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 10:07:28 PM »
i love jungkook

claire loves u!

claire loves u!

claire loves u!
"It's a sight, but I don't know if it's a nice one," He laughs. Ozzy now couldn't tell you about Second Grade Ozzy, but he did have a thing for dance; all types of dance, really, but hip hop at the time seemed to only be the only of availability. He remembers having his dream shattered as the girl lined up behind him told him he was stiff as a board when he executed his dance moves, submitted to the background from then on out to play his Nintendo DS in the corner. Now that he thinks back on it, just about everyone didn't know what they were doing and not everyone was blessed to have been able to take dance since they could walk. 

"Exactly! I'm just counteracting my brand," He bursts shamelessly. Ozzy, unless skateboarding could be taken into an account, wasn't much of a shining student as he noted Saffron to be. Homework often went unintended until last minute, often when she reminds him. Inquiring about their homework wouldn't be the first time he text her ( some stupid question about someone's shift , something he already knew but he wanted to have a reason to have looked through the phone list to specifically text her ) but it became more of an excuse. Ozzy was accepting that he wasn't the best student grade-wise, but if it was a gateway to an endless conversation with Saffron it was okay with him. He was always better at expressing himself through emojis , memes , and IPhone games than he was trying to articulate a witty sentence in real life. Call it a Gen Z privilege, but he was thankful. Otherwise he was sure he wouldn't know half the things he does about Saffron now, or really have talked to her at all. 

"Yeah. Gabi also stole my cubby snack in kindergarten so." All these years and Gabi and Ozzy had a complicated friendship. Off and on, friends again and not friends. She changed personalities along with the seasons, decided when she had time for him and when she didn't. Their friendship eventually settled into this awkward acquaintanceship until she revealed that she liked him since middle school. It wouldn't have been the first time this came up but last time it was revealed she denied it. He, on the other hand, didn't . . . know. But he does know whatever he feels for Gabi and Saffron are two different things. Feelings are freaking weird to say at the least. All that he knows is that he wishes, despite it all, that he could reveal the truth. That his chest didn't feel so constrained by half truths. It's pitiful.   

Of course, Saffron wins, but often it's because he lets her. Sure, he prefers underground, but overall their taste in music doesn't differ much; every time he finds himself vibing with whatever she puts on. "I sure hope I'm not snoozing or else we ain't getting home," he jokes as he fixes the review mirror, attempting to work the heat, but it sputters before falling quiet. Shit. He hopes that it works eventually. As he backs out, Saffron already has found a song. Artist Frank Ocean: Ivy. It's funny, how lyrics become more attune when you relate to them. In a sense, they do relate, and they fall out the mouth of the girl he relates them to. She encourages him to sing along and he looks like he wants to but as they begin to drive , eventually he does.

"...If I could see through walls, I could see you're faking. If you could see our thoughts you would see our faces. Safe in my rental like an armored truck back then we didn't give a fuck back then—" Damn Ivy hit different at 11pm, didn't it? He sneaks a glance at her, trying to play cool, a playful grin playing his face.     

Offline paddy

• mostly inactive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 10:37:41 PM »
i love jungkook

claire loves u!

claire loves u!

claire loves u!
Saffron simply laughs and rolls her eyes at his remark about Gabi. It’s a little weird, to think that there are kids she knows that have known each other since they were five years old. Despite her trying her best to fight the feeling, she can’t help but let the isolation creep up on her a little bit at the thought of it. She remembers the kids she went to school with when she was younger; she doubts they remember her, but she can still put names to faces of her best friends, her crushes, people she didn’t like. When she had moved in with her aunt and uncle when she was ten, she had moved schools, and even now, she can remember the boy from that school whom she had shared her first kiss with at fourteen, the girl who had been her best friend and Saffron still talked to sometimes (although it was hard maintaining long distance friendships), and the girl who had made fun of her for years.

It’s what makes her think, now, after having just moved to this new school with completely new people, that Ozzy might be a little special. After having known him for a couple of months, he’s already become one of the first people she thinks of when she wakes up in the morning. Maybe it’s just because they’ve been hanging out a lot, but Saffron has never grown this attached to someone this fast. If she didn’t know any better, she would throw out the flyaway term of soulmate, but she’s never believed in those. She’s not a bad-looking girl, in her opinion; she’s easy to like, because she tries to be, but she’s always found it hard to believe that anyone could really, truly love her, despite knowing full well that she herself falls in love way too fast. She could name all the people on both her hands and her feet that’s she’s fallen in love with at her tender age, but the boy currently sitting beside her in this car feels like he deserves a special finger or something. She knows she hasn’t really felt what she feels about him with anyone else, and she doesn’t think it’s love (because who is she really to know anything about love?), but dhe does know that whatever she feels for Ozzy scares her, just a tiny bit.

She just snorts again in a small huff through her nose at his comment about snoozing, grinning down at her phone despite the lame joke. She doesn’t miss the way Ozzy contemplates whether to sing along with her or not, but she doesn’t really push it. The song seems to speak her mind about the boy she’s seated next to, and she can feel the heat rise up sightly in her cheeks, but she hopes that with only the dim glow of streetlights passing by providing a light source, he doesn’t notice. Her hands are moving, above her head and then on his arm as she sings the words—just moving wherever her hands lead her, a smile on her face as the Frank Ocean song blasts through the speakers of Ozzy’s car. She knows he hates the car, but she really loves it. He’s constantly talking about how bog of a piece of junk the vehicle is, but it’s started to become a little bit of a sentimental place for Saffron; the place where she feels most vulnerable with the boy who brings about feelings in her that most scare her.

Saffron’s slightly taken aback as he joins in during the chorus, and she can’t help but stop dancing and singing to look over at him as he sings. He’s cute, and she’s always thought it, but she’s always thought his voice to be the most endearing thing about him. Whenever he sings around her, she just can’t help but stare, because come on, he sounds like an angel. She’s always thought herself to be a decent singer, but Ozzy is genuinely good enough to be some sort of indie pop sensation. She’s still staring as he looks over at her with a grin, and it takes her a moment to snap out of her reverie, hoping he doesn’t notice, and sending him back a smile as she puts her hands on her chest to convey emotion and starts singing again. ...I ain’t a kid no more, we’ll never be those kids again. We'd drive to Syd's, had the X6 back then, back then... no matter what I did, my waves wouldn't dip back then. Everything sucked back then. We were friends— oh my god, this song is so good.“

Saffron stops as she feels the lyrics hit a little too close to home for her taste, putting her arms back down and grinning over at Ozzy, laying her head against the headrest of the seat. She can feel her eyes drooping already, and she’s trying to pry them open so he doesn’t notice, but she’s not sure if it’s working at all. “You know,” Saffron starts, “You should sing more. Your voice is really pretty. Like, really pretty, and I don’t think you know how pretty I mean when I say it. Like, I have to stop and stare at you every time you sing ‘cause it makes me so happy.” Saffron’s starting to ramble through her sleepy haze now, and she’s only partly processing the words coming out of her mouth. She’s comprehending enough to know that she’s gonna want to smack herself in the face tomorrow morning, but at the same time, 11pm Saffron doesn’t seem to care, especially considering she’s an early bird who’s usually asleep by 10. She’s starting to realize what’s coming out of her mouth, though, abd she can feel a blush paint her face as she turns to look away from him to avoid seeing his reaction to her mini outburst.

Offline vix

• semi-active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 09:56:19 PM »
i love jungkook

claire loves u!

claire loves u!

claire loves u!
Every experience with Saffron is special, but it isn't quite the same as late nights in his car. The first time he'd spent alone with her was the first time she asks him for a ride since and it's been routine since. Except routine is something boring, something that you ultimately become comfortable with. Ozzy ? Sure , he was comfortable with her in a sense in the way you were comfortable with sharing useless information about yourself or that you were a foster kid who sometimes were straddled by the fear of the world on your shoulders but that isn't the point. The point was that the feelings Saffron gave him were so intense, that it forced him to the edge of his seat every time the time even came close. He readied himself for it by the time schedules were released and they shared a shift. Then the day comes and he counts down the hours, minutes, seconds, until she's approaching him like she'd done now, demanding he'd hurry because she's exhausted and it's past her bed time. He'd tease her about that, as if his fluctuating schedule was healthy, and from there it was. . . intense. Most of the time he'd dismissed it, assuming his feelings for her intensified every moment, every glance. But what if she felt it, too?

In unison the two sing together, whereas he'd otherwise have let her do all the singing herself. Despite being told of his talent, he never wished to pursue it. He didn't have the motive, the intuition to pursue it and so music became a past time, something that, when he got that feeling is when he'd convey that feeling, that emotion into his fingertips and through his throat. Since meeting Saffron, he's been having that feeling a lot more often; sometimes artists can explain what you feel a lot better than you can and to sing it yourself, to spill those emotions by your own tongue is something he can't quite commute. He'd heard that his voice was something unique from friend, family. . .  but of course it isn't quite the same as hearing it from your crush.

To know they at least idolize something about you is good feeling enough to become bashful, and he does. Heat rises to his cheeks, his mouth gapes as he tries to not break into his doofy grin, and now he does quite the opposite of what she admires: he stops singing. Let's silence break out in the car with nothing but Frank Ocean's voice to fill the space, cursing himself for the potential that he might let it become awkward. And then finally: "You have a pretty good voice yourself," And she does along with other things. "Hey, maybe we can move off to LA and start a band with one hit single that people will forget about in two years." It's a half-hearted joke but Ozzy sometimes wonders that, if it's the right person, he wouldn't mind packing up and running away with him. He wishes he wasn't so settled in his ways, especially when there is potential that it wouldn't last forever. He wanted to be able to confront change before it confronted him. He wanted to be okay with it. 

He doesn't sing anymore, though. Just let's the silence encompass them for the rest of the time period, let's Saffron sit in her comfortable silence. Finally, they reach her home and he pulls into her driveway where her family awaits her with a houselight. He leaves the car running, but puts into park, glancing over at Saffron. There's so many things to say, but he finds himself saying the thing he always does: "So, see you tomorrow?" He was such an idiot. But she had a date and so did he, so why did his idiocy matter?   

Offline paddy

• mostly inactive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 11:25:41 PM »
i love jungkook

claire loves u!

claire loves u!

claire loves u!
Even though she's embarrassed by her words, she doesn't regret them, and Saffron doesn't miss the way Ozzy seems to turn the compliment back on her. He's modest, and it makes her smile a little, but it's still not enough to make her drop it. "Thanks, but this isn't about me, I was complimenting you, doof," she comments, turning to look at him again. She's silent until he speaks again, filling up the empty space (although, she'll admit, she's not sure if it even needed to be filled in the first place; the empty spaces that linger between the pair of them have never been any version of uncomfortable). She laughs lightly at his little proposition, throwing her head back a little as she does. She's still tired, and her laugh doesn't seem to fall out of her mouth as mere more than a giggle, but the mirth is there all the same. "Listen, buddy, if we ever run away to LA to make a band, we're gonna be the next Jonas Brothers or something. No one-hit wonder type shit is going to slide," she jokes, the idea swirling around in her head more than it really should.

The idea of running away, for some reason, seems so desirable to Saffron. She loves Aunt Lita and she hates school but it's not like she's any different from the average teenager in that aspect, so there really isn't anything about her life that she feels like she wants to necessarily run away from. Maybe it's the fact that they only live a state away from their old home with Uncle Paul, the place where she had endured years of sexual abuse at his hands. Maybe she wants to get away from it all, start a new life with no loose ends and no one to explain herself to. Just a dream and a boy by her side who she can't seem to leave behind in suburbia, no matter what, when she dreams of this bedazzled Hollywood Boulevard fantasy in her mind. Being here, right now, with him feels right in a way nothing has to her in a very long time. It's like that whenever she's with Ozzy, whether they're driving home in his car, doing their homework together during their shared lunch period, or sitting in Saffron's room and playing with her dog. She feels comfortable with him, and every time she realizes it, her heart does a little skip. Even her aunt seems to love him, always asking about the curly-headed kid. It makes her laugh, but it also makes her aware of how obvious she is about her crush on him. She's always hated having all of her feelings out in the open, which is why it really sucks that she's always been the kind of person to accidentally put them out there.

He stops singing, just letting the phone play the Frank Ocean album, and she can't help but wonder if she made him uncomfortable with her comment. Sometimes, it feels like he may have feelings for her, too, but most of the time, she really is convinced that he's repulsed by the idea of them being together. She knows, rationally, that he would never really be that rude, but her anxiety can't help but kick in when she starts to overthink it. The silence between them doesn't feel like an uncomfortable one, though, and that's the only detail that keeps her brain from spiralling into a deep pit of angry thoughts. She can't help but sneak a look over at him every now and then, watching his hair droop slightly farther drown his forehead every time they drive over a bump in the road, and she has to remind herself to look straight at the road again. She's lost in her own thoughts, the dark night around them seemingly endless, and before she knows it, Ozzy is slowing to a stop.

Saffron blinks herself more awake as she waits for him to pull into her driveway, cringing slightly (as she always seems to subconsciously do) when she notes how small the house she and her aunt reside in really seems from the outside. She doesn't say anything, and she knows she doesn't need to, that he understands, so she merely leans forward, pausing the music and unplugging the aux cord. She slips her phone into her pocket, her hand already lingering on the car door, when he speaks up again. Tomorrow. The word sends the same sense of excitement and fear that it's been sending her every time she's heard it uttered all day. For the first time, Saffron doesn't know what to respond to it with. She knows there's a good chance they won't even see each other at the dance (although she's sure as hell gonna try to make sure it happens, whether or not Logan minds it), and she's silent for a moment.

She's debating against an action in her mind for a split second before she just decides to go for it, taking her hand off of the car door. She leans over, placing a hand on the cup holder separating the driver and passenger seats, and not for the first time (although it seems like it with the atmosphere in here), presses a kiss to Ozzy's cheek. "Yeah, I'll see you. I'll text you, alright?" she says, her voice softer than it really should be. For once, she isn't blushing, and she feels a little proud of herself as she smiles at him, pulling the door open and stepping out into the chilly night air. "Goodnight, Ozzy," she says behind her shoulder, smiling at him once more as she shuts the car door, scurrying around to the front porch and entering her house before he can notice her finally realizing what she had just done. She hadn't been joking about texting him before, so she pulls out her phone, typing in a quick "don't forget to wake up on time tmrw!! can't have u showin up late and missin out on some quality dance time (:" before sending it. She can see him drive away now as she looks out the window, and finally feels the embarrassment kick in a little. God, she's an idiot.

Offline vix

• semi-active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 11:54:36 PM »
i love jungkook

claire loves u!

claire loves u!

claire loves u!
He doesn't think she notices, but he sees her cringe every time they pull into her small home. He knows a lot of trivial things about her: favorite memes, favorite color, and video games but every time he pulls into the home that prompts that reaction he begins to realize how little of her personal life he knows, the suffering she's faced, the betrayal she's forced to overcome. It was definitely different than his foster parent's six bedroom home, nothing like the typical suburban home that other students of their school resided in, but a home nonetheless. Was she ashamed? Scared of what he thought? He wanted to assure her that it was okay, although maybe she knows and he thought too much into it. That he resonated with her. He, too, sometimes ended up in homes before this one that was sometimes so cramped his living space was the living room couch, but in the end he didn't. He didn't want to pry into emotions that weren't his. Not if she wasn't comfortable. It seems that, a lot of things between them are often left unsaid.

After raising the question, he watches as he always does, as her hand lingers to the door. Only this time, it stops. He thinks, for that split second, or minute, his heart does, too. This isn't anything new. Sometimes she does stop, and although most of the time it's nothing, he hopes that one there is that shift. He's reaching, always reaching, or so it seems, but this time, he feels it. There is this inexplicable tension in the air as she presses her lips to his cheek. Not a first time thing, but never had been in this very atmosphere where it was too ... mmm ... what if-y? Friends didn't kiss their friends in the dark. Things could be misguided, and misread, feelings hurt. And plus, with the knowledge that their gallantry towards another it seemed inappropriate. Not as if he didn't like it, he did. He could have kissed her right there. But that was wrong. And let's be honest, he couldn't. In fact, he was rendered speechless, mouth gaping as she finally left the car.

In a perfect world, he's stopping her. In a perfect world, he's confessing his feelings for her right there and they promise to skip the dance with some poor excuse for sickness and driving to the nearest 7/11 for a romantic date over slushies and conversation. In a perfect world he's ( gross ) swapping blue spit with the girl or his dreams. But this is not a perfect world and he was his parent's mistake, and he's not taking advantage of his God given right to live. Either way, he knows that this is something that Saffron looks forward to and that she has a good heart. Even if, under some circumstance, she felt the same way she wouldn't willingly abandon a boy she already said yes to. And this dance? It's something she's been waiting for forever.

He leans into the passenger's seat just as Saffron disappears into her home, his phone buzzing intently not too long after. 'Quality dance time.' Still recovering from that moment, whatever that moment was, Ozzy grins bashfully to himself shaking his head as he texts her. 'Don't worry. Have no intentions of sleeping in til' 5pm this time.' Six is when it started, right? Not as if he were keeping track. Starting his car, he finally pulls off, not able to take his mind off of something he might have just overthought.     

Offline paddy

• mostly inactive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 10:47:26 PM »
i love jungkook

claire loves u!

claire loves u!

claire loves u!
Saffron may or may not be a little upset with the struggling decor in the gymnasium set up by the student committee for the dance, but other than that, it’s all she’s ever dreamed of. A photobooth sits in one corner, with a line of students trailing after it waiting for their turn to take a photo, and a long table full with snacks sits with some wallflowers flitting about it. Faux stars hang from the ceiling and everyone is dressed up in form-fitted clothes for the theme of a night under the stars. It’s corny, cliché, and a complete, utter high school dance stereotype, but Saffron loves every second of it. From the moment Logan picked her up in his car (it smelled of pine air freshener—she honestly missed the slight gas smell that Ozzy’s car always seemed to have) until now, Saffron can’t wipe the grin off of her face.

She hasn’t talked to Ozzy since last night. At least, not properly. She’s texted him, yeah, but usually she’ll FaceTime him while she does her chemistry homework before school and he brushes his teeth, or she’ll walk up to him in between classes they don’t share and definitely make both of them late, or call him after she gets home. None of that has happened, and she can’t help but feel that it’s a little bit her fault as she’s reminded of the kiss she had planted on his cheek the night before. She feels a little stupid thinking about it, her emotions getting a hold on her, and her attention is brought away from the curly headed boy to the blond one beside her as Logan not so subtly places an arm around her shoulders. She turns to look at him, and almost laughs as she sees his expression. It’s a little obvious he wants more out of her than just a homecoming date, but if he asks her on a date, there’s no way she’s going to say yes. The boy’s a little awkward, despite attractive, and his attention does seem a little divided as she can see him checking out every girl here without a date.

They had already taken pictures earlier, and she feels like a bit of a trophy prize as she can see Logan eyeing his friends. It’s then when she sees a familiar head of curly hair from across the gym—she’ll make it quick, she promises herself. “Logan, how about we go meet up with our friends then come back afterwards? Dances aren’t only for dates,” she reassures him, and she can see him breathe a little sigh of relief and nod in agreement. She smiles at him as she leaves, starting to amke her way across the gymnasium. As she approaches Ozzy, Saffron can’t hep but start to wonder what she looks like, what everyone thinks of her outfit. Her dress is an old one her aunt outgrew, dark blue and speckled with little clear gems that were probably sewn on by her aunt herself as a little DIY project. Her feet are slipped into a pair of old 2-inch heels that once belonged to Saffron’s mother, and her curly hair is natural and worn down. She catches herself trying to smooth it down as she approaches him, but it’s too late by then.

“Ozzy!” Saffron yells, grinning brightly and waving at him. She doesn’t know where Gabi is, and she can’t be bothered to wonder and feel that tiny bit of jealousy creep up right now, because she’s never seen Ozzy dressed up, and honestly, she’s a little bit in awe. “Oh, my god, you look so good! Who knew you dress up so nice, dork?” she laughs as she throws her arms around him, not being able to help herself from giving him a tight hug, looking at him once over again as she pulls away. The affection is evident in her teasing, and honestly, she hadn’t been lying, because Ozzy really does look good. She constantly finds herself wanting to run a hand through his curls or fix his tie, but she forces herself not to, and steps away before she gets a little too brave.

She’s about to ask about Gabi, when she sees the other girl standing a couple feet away, trying to find something in her purse. Saffron can’t help but notice that the Gabi’s long brown hair is pin-straight and sleek, her legs long and her nails perfectly manicured. Saffron’s never been one to compare herself to others, or even to put other girls down for something as petty as a boy, but she can’t help but feel a little jealous of the girl. She’s smart, pretty, definitely a little better off financially than Saffron—a lot of things Saffron wishes she could find in herself. She has to tear her eyes away from Gabi in order to stop herself from thinking like that to look back at the boy who makes her heart do a backflip, and the DJ announcing a throwback song by playing You Belong With Me by Taylor Swift seems a little too dumb and cheesy for her taste right now.

“Anyways, I just wanted to make sure you save me a dance. I can’t wait to see your best chicken dance,” Saffron teases, and there’s amusement in her voice, but she wishes she could make her words true, just a bit. She’s forced to picture herself with her arms around Ozzy’s neck, his hands on her waist, them swaying awkwardly to some Ed Sheeran song, and her heart aches a little at the thought of it, but she can’t be sad while looking at Ozzy all dressed up right now.

Offline vix

• semi-active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 12:16:11 AM »
i love jungkook

claire loves u!

claire loves u!

claire loves u!
Well, if it is the day Ozzy hadn't been waiting for.

As much as he'd like to avoid the topic, it's 'hot-button' to June who happened to not only be on the cheer team, but also apart of the school's committee— the ones who decided the generalized 'starry night' theme and that yes, maybe the school gymnasium was big enough to hold five hundred students in counting. until then, Ozzy managed to avoid the subject. dismiss himself into his room even during dinner. but now, his Alana insists for him to stay the night of. Not only to hear June's grievances, but also to raise question on his own— 'so, Gabi still your date?' 'uh-huh' 'is black and white still the color you two are wearing. can i see her dress again?' 'uh-huh.' and then Jenna, 'imma be honest with you. i thought you and that one girl were together.' murmurs of agreement, as saffron came into question. Ozzy, bashfully: 'we're just friends.' god, he hated family dinners.

His family's interrogation didn't help his inner turmoil— from then on, he thought about Saffron a lot. Texts between them were brief, unlike him. He thinks about bringing up something to spark the conversation, to implement that their friendship was still well and alive, but becomes too nervous. Saffron was usually the instigator— the one to open him up to shit not even he knew he could dish— and yet she felt radio silent. Despite her making the move, had he done something? Or perhaps, he'd done nothing. But no. What would she have expected— a kiss back? Obviously not, he reminded himself, she didn't like him. Instead she was going Logan, and who was he to compete with that. He tries to quiet his thoughts that night and throughout the day, even when she doesn't appear to walk him to class. To other friends, he's moderately moody and although they attempt to grapple the reasoning, he doesn't give.   

Gabi's mom drops her off in her nice Jeep Cherokee and they take pictures that Alana has to take about a trillion times because— "okay you're too cute now do this pose" or "wait that one was blurry" or "Jenna stop photobombing the picture, honey." When they're on their way, Gabi already seems relatively irritated. He feels the same way but because he's used to it, he apologizes for his family whereas Gabi insists that maybe next time, he could meet her at his. Her mom let's her drive the Cherokee. "Weird flex, but okay." Ozzy jokes, but she isn't amused; Saffron would have obliterated him for that comment but instead he's stuck in an awkward silence until they arrive. 

He noticed Saffron as soon as she walked in— kinda creepy, but it was totally, okay possibly, by accident? His eyes just happened to sweep by when they walked into the room, Saffron looking as gorgeous as ever. It'd almost seem too easy to approach her if their friendship wasn't in question, and if he didn't have a date next to him who is amazed by the poor efforts of the committee. He tries not to stare; tries to make small talk with the girl beside him. "Wait- I need to find my phone. I'm looking for Izzy." Izzy, her best friend. "I'll be right here." He stuffs his hands in his pockets. Looks at his feet. Anything to not look for her. But how could he ignore that voice?

His eyes snap up to see her and she seems . . . vibrant? No distaste or disgust. Almost like they were always them. "Saffron, hey." He might've genuinely smiled for the first time that night, relieved that they were okay. "I mean, yeah now you know, right?" He wasn't involved. Had Alana not dragged him to Macy's last minute he'd have went in jeans and a thrasher hoodie. "And you look..." amazing, spectacular, any-other-word-that-is-syonymous-with-those-words. "...wow." he settled, hoping that wasn't too much. When she pulls him into a hug, he falls into the embrace. She smells nice; he's sad when she pulls away.

You Belong With Me. Did the DJ know about his predicament, too? This happened to be one of the songs he sang himself to sleep to on any one-sided love playlist he could find. He hated he knows the words; tries not to sing them in fear of embarrassing himself. "One chicken dance reserved for you, m'lady," he promises with a smirk. He almost forgets that Gabi is here until she approaches. "Hey. Saffron, right?" For the first time, she's clasping onto Ozzy's arm. Smiling. "So I'm going to find Izzy. She's having trouble out in the parking lot and I'll be back, okay?" He nods, hating that he's relieved. After watching her walk away, he turns to Saffron.

"I was thinking about going over to the fruit punch table to taste-test. . . see if anyone's spiked it yet." Apparently it's been a tradition for years. So many people involved, the school couldn't pinpoint and punish anyone. "You wanna go with me. . ." He pauses. "Unless you have to go back to your date that is."